#81 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:48

Actually, I've been thinking this out a bit more and I'd have to say I think getting a 5% single stat bonus from each one of several bronze medals would be the best way to go.  Hear me out before you throw a fit about this.  First the rewards - 5% ATT from one medal, 5% DAM from another, etc.  Next the reasons - a full 5% should be rewarded at bronze level because A) you are only getting one stat bonus from each medal.  Given the time and effort required to achieve upper levels of some medals would effectively prohibit some players from fully maxing out their bonuses if they had to reach high medal levels to get full bonuses.  Bonuses should be earned but still reasonably achievable.  B )  Players will have to participate in different aspects of the game in order to get all the available bonuses.  While this will result in players experiencing many aspects of the game, not everyone will enjoy every aspect of the game.  Forcing them to continue in those aspects to achieve higher bonuses will discourage them whereas getting their bonus at bronze level will give them the option of continuing because they like it or moving on to try something else.  An example would be a 5% DEF bonus for bronze bounty hunter.  Some players will decide they like bounty hunting but others won't.  Forcing those that don't enjoy bounty hunting to continue on to silver, gold, etc. to get their max bonus would likely result in them never achieving it or just flat out quitting but awarding the full bonus at bronze gives them a definite goal and timeline to get their bonus.  Again, all this hinges on relic bonuses being capped at 5%.  Nothing is set in stone on this idea, it just kind of came to me and I posted it so it's still very much a work in progress. 

One BIG question here.

Are you talking gear stats, or base stats ?

If the former, I think a bronze medal giving 5% bonus is, quite simply, over-powered 

If the latter, then most people don't have points distributed in anything other than damage (I know some do ..) so the bonus would be wasted.

Also, as I said in my first reply - there are 20 achievable medals now in-game and only ATT / DEF / ARM / DAM / HP to allocate these 5%'s too ... To which 5 medals are they allocated ? - and which medal gives each stat reward ?

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#82 yotekiller

yotekiller

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:22

One BIG question here.

Are you talking gear stats, or base stats ?

If the former, I think a bronze medal giving 5% bonus is, quite simply, over-powered 

If the latter, then most people don't have points distributed in anything other than damage (I know some do ..) so the bonus would be wasted.

Also, as I said in my first reply - there are 20 achievable medals now in-game and only ATT / DEF / ARM / DAM / HP to allocate these 5%'s too ... To which 5 medals are they allocated ? - and which medal gives each stat reward ?

Well since the 5% medal bonuses would replace 5% of the relic bonuses it would have to be gear bonuses unless I'm mistaken that relics apply to gear stats instead of base stats so they wouldn't really be overpowered, just redistributed.  As far as which 5 medals would qualify for bonuses, I think it would have to promote a variety of play.  Simple longevity medals would be automatically thrown out as would top hoarder and player medals which narrows things down considerably.  How about 5 of these 7 -Bounty Hunter OR Smasher (only 1 pvp related, not both), SE, Arena, Titan, Global Quest and Adventurer, although the last 2 might require Silver level instead of Bronze just because Bronze is so low on those.

Screenshot everything!

#83 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:39

Well since the 5% medal bonuses would replace 5% of the relic bonuses it would have to be gear bonuses unless I'm mistaken that relics apply to gear stats instead of base stats so they wouldn't really be overpowered, just redistributed.  As far as which 5 medals would qualify for bonuses, I think it would have to promote a variety of play.  Simple longevity medals would be automatically thrown out as would top hoarder and player medals which narrows things down considerably.  How about 5 of these 7 -Bounty Hunter OR Smasher (only 1 pvp related, not both), SE, Arena, Titan, Global Quest and Adventurer, although the last 2 might require Silver level instead of Bronze just because Bronze is so low on those.

Well, the selection of the medals seems fair.

A lot more players will have these bonuses under this idea, which evens things out somewhat, but I still think that medals are their own reward.

Having said that, this suggestion I could live with as it's not giving NEW bonuses to top players but redistributing them via a relic bonus cap lowering and will allow other players a chance to boost their stats. So, yes, this suggestion I'd not be overly opposed to LOL.

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#84 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 05 August 2013 - 15:09

Would be a new bonus to me, I can't get relic bonus's. (wouldn't want them either, they are one of the most ridiculously overpowered things in a game already way overpowered)

So those 5% improvements would be what, forced on me because I have those medals? Nah...

No thank you.

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#85 yotekiller

yotekiller

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:26

Would be a new bonus to me, I can't get relic bonus's. (wouldn't want them either, they are one of the most ridiculously overpowered things in a game already way overpowered)

So those 5% improvements would be what, forced on me because I have those medals? Nah...

No thank you.

Screenshot everything!

#86 rowbeth

rowbeth

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:13

I can't help wondering whether some of the thoughts in this thread would have been better received if the original question had been rephrased to ask:

Are the medals sufficient reward?

Its not about rewarding the medal, its about rewarding the achievement that is recognised by the medal.

The value of medals can also be in encouraging the behaviour that leads to the award of the medal. Do you simply get medals for perserverence, or do HCS offer medals to encourage you to maintain activity? If the latter, then asking how to encourage still more activity is a valuable question.

#87 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:01

I can't help wondering whether some of the thoughts in this thread would have been better received if the original question had been rephrased to ask:

Are the medals sufficient reward?

Its not about rewarding the medal, its about rewarding the achievement that is recognised by the medal.

The value of medals can also be in encouraging the behaviour that leads to the award of the medal. Do you simply get medals for perserverence, or do HCS offer medals to encourage you to maintain activity? If the latter, then asking how to encourage still more activity is a valuable question.

Personally, I think "Are the medals sufficient reward?" is just the same as "medals give bonus?" and my initial response would have been the same, regardless of the wording.

I still think that medals are, in their own right, the reward / bonus. You don't see many soldiers getting a medal and then, all of a sudden, being 5% fitter, or 5% more accurate do you ? ;)

Overall, I'm still opposed to their being any bonus, other than the pixels, for getting them but I have to say that I'm not totally averse to Yotekillers implementation of the idea.

#88 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:43

That's funny, (probably, flash is disabled on my firefox browser) but my point still stands.

I agree with your idea of reducing the relic bonus's though, just don't replace them with 'anything', they're not needed and just serve to simplify the game...

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: