Photo

Why do my spells do much less damage on monsters higher level than me????

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 penmen22

penmen22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 23:01

What is going on here? Every time I try to fight something a few levels above me, my spells do like a 1/4 of the damage they regularly do. Is this a bug or something? What is the point of this?

This is incredibly inconvenient when I have to do to a quest where I have to go to a somewhat higher level area and I get jumped. I like to murder my enemies and not run from them because for whatever reason, i'm not able to do damage to them...

Edited by penmen22, 12 April 2014 - 23:02.

#2 redsmokeboy

redsmokeboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 April 2014 - 23:04

Acc - 15% per lvl Chance to hit monster at lvl

So lvl 12 100% chance to hit less chance glance hafe's dmg or miss!

Hit lvl 13 - 14 monster need 115% acc - 130% acc no to glance - lose dps done.

If can understand what typed here - wait for some one explan thing's better.

Frog - Archer - lvl 49

Kazzarat - Templar lvl 49 Skiller

Redsmokegirl - War/sin lvl 49

Q PvP | No repair fee's | 1% EXP of lvl | Valor | Weekly 10 match | Achvemnt's | So much more Join when log | Click on cross sword via mini map Q solo |

Looking for group's RG/BT/ASV/ARG/ICC/CC Boss Killing/Arena 30+/ToC/ Need DPS willing come usly asking in world chat.

#3 penmen22

penmen22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 23:17

But...why...? What is the point of this...? What's wrong with just doing regular damage to any opponent? It kind of makes challenges like defeating something much higher level than you impossible...

#4 luke94

luke94

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 April 2014 - 00:25

Im not entirely sure but i think there is a level scaling factor in place, because if you could kill things say 10 levels above you with the difficulty of killing something the same level as you it would give mass amounts of xp which is why when killing something a few levels higher you get less xp also.

If you want to know your accuracy open your character equipment screen and where it says accuracy and your % hover mouse over your chosen style (melee = melee accuracy %, range = range accuracy %, mage = mage accuracy %) and it will tell you what your complete accuracy % is.

Here is what i mean, if you still do not get what I'm saying.

http://prntscr.com/39gmqr

June 2013 (beta) - July 2017

#5 MerchantRathe

MerchantRathe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 00:38

I am Guessing your new to RPGs if you think you can do 500 damage to a lvl 1 mob and still do 500 to a lvl 100 mob lol. they all have def and stats just as you do. just like you can fight say a lvl 1 mob kil it with 2 hit but takes 4 hits to kill a lvl 2 mobs. Its how things work if you where able to do straight damage as depicted on your char sheet then the mobs would have no stats so whats the point in giving them lvls or even skill ranges? thats like also saying ohh no why is it when i pvp i do 200 damge to aplayer but 600 to a mob same lvl well its called character stats and Mob stats :) as for you enjoying to go run up and kill higher lvl mobs as a mage and not run away thats not how mages work and need to rethink how to play a mage. As per the 5-10 lvl dif ahead of your char they have 5 lvls of stats Higher then you go pvp a person 5 lvls ahead of you then somone with teh same gear your lvl and watch the dif in damage. Happy hunting all :) Rant done lol

#6 penmen22

penmen22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:38

they all have def and stats just as you do

This is the part that doesn't make sense. Nobody has defense stats. It's not something you can level up. At least, not that I can see. This is why it's confusing me. The only thing that is protecting the players more is the armor they wear. Since monsters don't have armor, where are they getting all that defense stat from?

Im not entirely sure but i think there is a level scaling factor in place, because if you could kill things say 10 levels above you with the difficulty of killing something the same level as you it would give mass amounts of xp which is why when killing something a few levels higher you get less xp also.

The balance of killing something 10 levels above you would be that they hit you much harder, and would have higher hp. And therefore killing something a much higher level than you as a challenge, would somewhat be possible if it wasn't for this "feature".

Edited by penmen22, 13 April 2014 - 01:45.

#7 ComradeLewis

ComradeLewis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:57

I don't get it either. There are accuracy potions in game, and you would think that using one would make a level 44 monster die as quickly as a level 43 one when you are at 41, however, it does not work that way. When I went back to the level 44 mobs after leveling to 42 they died twice as fast with no accuracy potion on.

There seems to be some hidden element regarding monsters and their defense (and perhaps their attack too), which gives bonuses if you are 3 levels over or under that monster. Seriously, I killed a level 44 mob twice as slow when I was 41 than when I was 42, with the same gear, and the same hit chance. Conversely, I suspect that mobs 3+ levels lower than you can be killed much quicker, and you receive less damage as well. That might be useful to know if you ever plan to farm for gems.

11/29/13 - 4/29/14 | 4/25/15 - 5/25/15

#8 penmen22

penmen22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:07

Am I the only one that is extremely annoyed at this thing? That just means that you can't go for a challenge by killing something stronger than you, and you have to only grind out on monsters weaker or equal level to you...That's very depressing.

Now I can't be the next woox16 :(

#9 ZooksterGaming

ZooksterGaming

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 April 2014 - 14:57

Usually hihger level means that they have more defenses, better chance to dodge etc etc. I think this is totaly fine in this game. Since the damage output dont go up by that much over all these levels.
If they would remove the glance/dodge/less damage from higher lvel mobs, we would end up powerleveling solo at mobs 5 levels above our level.

91ig7l.png

| Zook (45) Prophet | Arumat (45) Warrior | Samoorai (45) Templar |

| Crystal Cutting - 45 | Farming - 40 | Fishing - 23 | Foraging - 45 | Forestry - 45 | Prospecting - 45 | Skinning - 45 |

| Alchemy - 45 | Armorsmithing - 45 | Cooking - 45 | Jewelry - 45 | Leatherworking - 45 | Tailoring - 45 | Weaponsmithing - 40 |

#10 penmen22

penmen22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 22:40

Usually hihger level means that they have more defenses, better chance to dodge etc etc. I think this is totaly fine in this game. Since the damage output dont go up by that much over all these levels.
If they would remove the glance/dodge/less damage from higher lvel mobs, we would end up powerleveling solo at mobs 5 levels above our level.

Why does everyone keep talking about defense? Where exactly are my defensive skills? The only thing I see relating to defense is the armor defense. Since monsters aren't wearing armor, where are they getting that defensive trait from? I would think the only thing happening to them at higher levels is they hit harder and have more hp. This is what would prevent players from grinding them at lower levels. And tbh, if someone can take their time to kill something much higher level than them, what is wrong with that? They are willing to take on a challenge and get some better reward. Why is this discouraged?

#11 dragon1234

dragon1234

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 April 2014 - 23:37

Why does everyone keep talking about defense? Where exactly are my defensive skills? The only thing I see relating to defense is the armor defense. Since monsters aren't wearing armor, where are they getting that defensive trait from? I would think the only thing happening to them at higher levels is they hit harder and have more hp. This is what would prevent players from grinding them at lower levels. And tbh, if someone can take their time to kill something much higher level than them, what is wrong with that? They are willing to take on a challenge and get some better reward. Why is this discouraged?

Defensive skills such as righteous defense, redemption etc can lower damage dealt to you. Similarly, the skill Defensive stance add armor and up your defense. 

You can relate the increase in defense in creatures to the real world. Not all animals have the same type of skin. Some have tougher skin that are harder to penetrate/damaged and as a result they take less damage. By your logic, I as a human would take the same damage on my skin as say a wolf with all of its fur and tough skin. There are plenty of advantages that can reduce the damage a creature can take in the real world, it make sense that something similar can happen in the fantasy world. 

Alternately, you can think of it as a magical realm in which case all creatures have some magical properties related to them. If that is the case then it makes sense that some have higher magical properties, whatever they may be, than others and can take less damage. 

Another thing, why would you think that a creature can suddenly hit harder at a higher level but not be tougher(defense wise)? Seem like there something really flawed with that logic lol...

dragon1234 - Ranger - lv 45

NoExercise - Tank - lv 45

DragonStorage - Storage - lv 13

#12 penmen22

penmen22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 00:06

Umm, yeah that makes sense. I was looking at this through the game logic instead of rpg logic. Thanks for clearing this up for me:D

#13 Neon

Neon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Badge

Posted 14 April 2014 - 00:28

Now I can't be the next woox16 :(

The boss/instance combat is nothing like RS.

Killing things in Eldevin requires manpower, not skill.

a5kwtf.png

My YouTube Channel - Click Here

#14 penmen22

penmen22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:40

The boss/instance combat is nothing like RS.

Killing things in Eldevin requires manpower, not skill.

That's kind of a bummer though, isn't it? :/

#15 Shylark57

Shylark57

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 April 2014 - 00:00

As you level your Armor Class can go up as in = more defense ... The higher level the monster the higher level Armor Class can be.... I don't know of many games this doesn't hold true...

#16 huhbum

huhbum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 00:09

Let me clear up this mystery!

There is actually a scaling mechanic that reduces your overall damage on monsters more than two levels higher than you, that is independent of accuracy and defense modifiers.

At three levels above you and higher, your damage against enemies is reduced by a flat percentage amount, regardless of glancing blows or defense. This can be tested by using bleed effects(which ignore accuracy and defense) against monsters 3+ levels above you.

Monsters even more than three levels above your character's combat level will reduce even more damage, scaling additionally for each level of difference until you are doing a very small fraction of damage to them even when you hit. This is why you're(presumably) having such a rough go of it on Adera Plains, which is a level 28+ area very close by the level 13-15 Forest of Adera area.

As to why this mechanic exists, it's most likely to prevent players from trying to grind on enemies significantly higher than them for EXP and loot.

Edited by huhbum, 15 April 2014 - 00:11.

#17 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 00:11

As to why this mechanic exists, it's most likely to prevent players from trying to grind on enemies significantly higher than them for EXP and loot.

but exp gain from mobs higher level is reduced significantly so i doubt this is the reason....

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#18 penmen22

penmen22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 00:20

I don't get why this game is so against players killing things higher lvl than them. What is the reason for this? Shouldn't you encourage players to take risks and enjoy the game instead of killing things you know you can already kill...which makes the game more of a grind than it already is?

Sure the players can get better loot and xp for killing things higher level than them, but they are doing it at their own risk. The higher level monsters have higher hp and damage power. If they can kill something better than them, shouldn't they be rewarded for their effort?

Edited by penmen22, 15 April 2014 - 00:23.

#19 Neon

Neon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 April 2014 - 00:27

I don't get why this game is so against players killing things higher lvl than them. What is the reason for this? Shouldn't you encourage players to take risks and enjoy the game instead of killing things you know you can already kill...which makes the game more of a grind than it already is?

Sure the players can get better loot and xp for killing things higher level than them, but they are doing it at their own risk. The higher level monsters have higher hp and damage power. If they can kill something better than them, shouldn't they be rewarded for their effort?

I'd gladly take the system you have briefly described over the current one, any mmorpg that encourages skill & dedication is a game worth playing.

a5kwtf.png

My YouTube Channel - Click Here

#20 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 00:31

you'll find its just one of a list of  "WTF" moments 

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: