How to plan your equipment - a guide

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 fs_maegglin

fs_maegglin
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2007 - 15:28

Note: the guide was initially wrote when I was level 60-70 - several outdated info that needed editing

The purpose of this tutorial is to explain the logic of gear choosing when planning to hunt monsters in this simple yet addictive game that is FallenSword. I will provide an example and I will also do similar analyses (for teaching purposes) on demand.

Part one (that means this one ) will explain the logic behind setting specific attribute objectives for your setup, according to your level and your target monster.

Basic principles.

1. Fallen guide (http://www.fallenswordguide.com) is your friend. Use it often. It will provide you all the info you need on items, locations, maps and creatures. When you dont have the stamina to play - spend the time on planning. Also use the official forum for supplementary info.

2. The logic in hunting for leveling is to maximise the ratio Experience/stamina point. While some other stuff can be done to improve it (use Adept learner, Elite hunter, Librarian, hunt in places crowded with monsters to avoid stamina wasting on movement) the main thing to do is to use gear that allows the famous one hit kills. Going from one hit kills to two hit kills will halve the exp/stam ratio. 50% loss. That's huge.

3.Know your enemy and adapt your gear to it. Different monsters require different setups.

4. 95% of the gear you need is cheap. Avoid expensive items and legendary sets if you do not plan to PvP on a regular basis. Good planning will lower your equipment costs. As sets go I went Infernus -> Giggles -> Flamed -> Khale till 72 (only for the Elite hunter bonus) and I dont plan on buying Deep or Mancrusha either. Note: back then, Deep was about 200 FSP and Mancrusha about 800 :) Hard to imagine

Now let's see how you set up your gear. First thing, you check your level and your desired hunting ground (watch out for area level limitations). You then go on Fallen Guide and check your potential target monsters (usually 0-2 levels above you). Monsters, just like you, have 5 different statistics.

Attack - determines (in relation with the enemy's defence) if the attack is going to land or miss. Important: a minimal 2% odd of hitting or missing is guaranteed, regardless of the attack/defence numbers.

Damage - after being reduced by the armor it will determine the number of HP points lost.

Defence - helps you not getting hit

Armor - reduces the damage taken if you are hit

HP - health points - your lifebar, if it gets to 0 you're dead.

Simply said, when designing your setup, you need to do one hit kills while at the same time surviving an enemy attack. There are two ways to design your surviving setup, focused on either armor or defence (there is a third that focuses on none but it's rare). Usually people like focusing on armor and neglecting defence, because of the 2% odd of hitting/missing in the attack/defence dynamics. Note: Setups based on defense or on none (suicide setups) become a lot more frequent past level 140...

So - after choosing your target, your objectives are:

1. Your armor should beat his damage
2. Your attack should beat his defence (otherwise you'll miss a lot)
3. Your damage should beat the sum of his armor and HP.

From here you should understand the importance of putting all your stat points in Damage and, partially, in Attack. The Damage stat has to beat a sum of two statistics instead of a single one. So -

ALWAYS PUT STAT POINTS IN DAMAGE AND ATTACK (a 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 ratio is suggested) Note: in fact - put all your points in damage. All of them. Or you will have to pay 50 FSP for a reset, like I did

When I say "should beat" it means it should reliably be higher. If your attack is just 1 point higher than his defense you will still miss a lot. The exact formula for this is not really known but in my opinion it's probably something like:

(Attack stat + variable) - (Defence + variable) > 0 - then you hit.

Note: following studies have shown a better version for these formulas, much more likely to be real:

(Attack +-5%) - (Defence +-5%) > 0
(Damage +-5%)- (armor +-5%) = effective damage, to be deducted from HP

The size of the variable part is debatable. Based on my comprehension the variable part has a random linear value between 0 and about 10% to 30% (depending on the attribute) of the base value. This is not officially proven but I think that having an armor 10-20% then his damage will protect you most of the time. My objective is to have:

- my attack 20-30% higher than his defence
- my armor 10-20% higher than his damage (keep in mind that piercing strike or critical hit from a monster can still kill you)
- my damage 10-20% higher than his armor+hp

Note: ulterior studies have shown much better (and lower:) ) requirments:

Attack has to be 10.53% higher then his defence

for damage: the damage needed for 1 hit kill is:

Damage = (21 * armor + 20*HP)/19 or in decimals:
Damage = armor*1.1053 + HP * 1.053

For your armor - it is suggested to be 10.53% higher then his damage.

Lets go back to an example. Lets say you are somewhere in the 55-60 level. There are several potential targets for you. Among them:

Fire Lupine 62

Attack - 195-196
Defence - 144-154
Armor - 111-117
Damage - 230-244
HP - 123-175

Grofflesnout Brute 60

Attack 195-199
Defence 140-145
Armor 110-118
Damage 242-248
HP 134-158

Burrow Grub 65

Attack 180-189
Defence 170-190
Armour 165-167
Damage 150-169
HP 216-218

If you plan on taking Fire lupines and /or Grofflesnout brutes you will need :

Armor - 248 * 1.2 = 297 - approximately 300
Attack - 154 * 1.4 = 215 - go for 220
Damage - 290 *1.2 = 348 - go for 350.

On the other hand, if you plan on taking Burrow Grubs (I did only Grubs from 57 to 65

myself) you can lower your armor level required yet you need to really bump your damage and

attack.

Armor - 170*1.2 = 204
Attack - 190 *1.4 = 266
Damage - 385 * 1.2 = 462 - a lot, but it can be reached with accessible items.

Note: all these numbers were calculated with the initial formula - they are in fact lower

This is an example of how to plan your gear setup, according to your target. Part II of the tutorial (if it ever gets done) will detail how to choose items to fill those stat objectives.

#2 fs_krypkill

fs_krypkill
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2007 - 15:35

Genius mate, well done.

Deserves a sticky....

#3 GoHalos

GoHalos

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:09

I dont see how this has anything to do with equipment but still informative nonetheless.

#4 fs_thrender

fs_thrender
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 17:17

Yes, you can most likely train effectively in realms that are four or five levels higher than you in the where to train guide if you have good equipment...problem is most realms have a level requirement that you don't meet...

#5 fs_maegglin

fs_maegglin
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 20:35

I dont see how this has anything to do with equipment but still informative nonetheless.

Well, it is part one of a guide. It describes the basic principles that guide you in choosing specific statistic objectives. Choosing equipment in order to reach those objectives is the second step.

so about attaking creatures you say that if my stats are good i can attack monsters who are about 5lvl higher then me? if yes then when i'm using guide "where to hunt for you're lvl" i can actually take the fighting areas that are even higher then my lvl write?

Indeed, there are often high level cretures that can be defeated (one hit) by players at a much lower level with the right gear. A perfectly equipped lvl 80 could safely fight monsters level 100-110. Also, some monsters at your own level can be very annoying because of a high variation statistic (like defence for demonic knigts for instance).

You are limited though in choosing your opponents by area level restrictions. There are some exceptions though, like a level 48 player farming level 55 creatures or a level 55 killing Burrow grubs at 65. But once you get past level 70-80 this desn't really happen anymore (based on my experience).

#6 fs_xeononyx

fs_xeononyx
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 23:48

snip

4. 95% of the gear you need is cheap. Avoid expensive items and legendary sets if you do not plan to PvP on a regular basis. Good planning will lower your equipment costs. As sets go I went Infernus -> Giggles -> Flamed -> Khale till 72 (only for the Elite hunter bonus) and I dont plan on buying Deep or Mancrusha either.

snip

But wait hes wearing deep now ?

Once you go deep you never go cheap.

Note : this is sarcasm not an insult. It shows on how many times a certain player can change thier views and be successful.

#7 fs_maegglin

fs_maegglin
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:32

snip

4. 95% of the gear you need is cheap. Avoid expensive items and legendary sets if you do not plan to PvP on a regular basis. Good planning will lower your equipment costs. As sets go I went Infernus -> Giggles -> Flamed -> Khale till 72 (only for the Elite hunter bonus) and I dont plan on buying Deep or Mancrusha either.

snip

But wait hes wearing deep now ?

Once you go deep you never go cheap.

Note : this is sarcasm not an insult. It shows on how many times a certain player can change thier views and be successful.

If you read my text - "I don't plan on buying Deep". I was 72 when I wrote that guide. The Deep set I have on me is not mine - it is borrowed from a guild mate that went less active and I have to pass it to some other guild member so it belongs to the guild not to me. I never had the kind of money to afford a Deep (I estimate the price at 120-150FSP).

On the other hand, it looks indeed that Deep is the first legendary set I've met that cannot be easily replaced with regular items. If you have the money - buy it at 80 since you will use it for at least 40 levels.

#8 fs_fenriss

fs_fenriss
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:32

hi im fenriss and im currently in the golden horde help and training, the junior arm of your guild. i am currently lvl 6 but i dnt know what armour is suitable for me after infernus. could you please tell me what armour i should wear next?or what armour you wore next?thanks

fenriss(your junior counterpart:)

#9 fs_fenriss

fs_fenriss
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:11

hi maegglin

wat is the best rune/amulet/shield/boots and shield for a lvl 13.

i need 2 know which armour and weapon goes good with the giggles stuff

thank you

#10 fs_maegglin

fs_maegglin
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2007 - 15:53

Fenriss: Check our main forum here

#11 fs_maegglin

fs_maegglin
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2007 - 16:42

The guide was updated, taking into account the new results.

#12 fs_bladeboss

fs_bladeboss
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:12

Very interesting 8)

#13 Onemanmob

Onemanmob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 16:34

Nah, It is simpler than that. Buy infernus, then nomad til lvl 20, then plague til your level 60, then thonomoth til lvl 80, then deep til lvl 120, then mancrusha. nuff said' 8)

#14 Zukira

Zukira

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:12

*bump* keeping this alive

zukira.gif

|| signature rotates, artists varied ||

Fan my art on Facebook  || Deviant Art || Chat on Irc

When in doubt, lean to the side of mercy.

- Cevantes

#15 fs_evillove

fs_evillove
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2008 - 20:20

Bump :P

Despite I'm a lvl 97 now, I just read that guide, to wait for stamina gain. It was actually really helpful lol. It told me a few things that I could do, and I never thought of planning. So thanks :wink: :P

#16 fs_maegglin

fs_maegglin
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:46

Thanks for the bumps guys.

Just wanted to remind people that I was about level 70 when I wrote and some aspects might be outdated (like my suggestion on avoiding legendary sets because they are too expensive :) ) I never found solid evidence against the basic formulas so I will go along with them.

There could be some additions to the guide like:

- types of setup (one hit + survive, one hit + death, two hit + piercing, plain 2 hit, two hit with assist, etc) and their relative utility.

- influence of monster abilities on your setup

- choosing the right buffs and their relative benefit.

I'll try to do those in the next form of the guide.

#17 fs_ditchdraij

fs_ditchdraij
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:29

wow this is really helpful even now at lvl 173...I never really thought about planning the next hunt...would give me something to do while i'm waiting for stam to rebuild...

also the 2% variable that was neat does explain even though my dmg> opp amr+hp.....i randomly get killed by creeps....when shortcut hunting..

THANX

#18 fs_bladeboss

fs_bladeboss
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:50

what stat should get.... ??? should i improve my HP because it is only 5.

Put ALL your level up points into damage. HP is a useless stat other than PvP arena

#19 fs_atheroma

fs_atheroma
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2008 - 20:17

:cry: Too many numbers!!!!!! Brain Fade!!!!!!!
Just make sure you put your damage rating as high as you can.

#20 fs_aveator

fs_aveator
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 17:58

i am lv 1 who should i fight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: