Advice, from Newbie me, to Newbie you!!

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 fs_mackdaddie

fs_mackdaddie
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 22:36

Ok, I've reached level twenty. Yeah, I know the level of newbie that level twenty is, but here's some advice for the brand new player that will help.

I hope.

STEP ONE DON'T DIE

Seriously, fight monsters that are easy at first. Examine them, and pick the easy fights, skip the hard ones. DON"T JUST FIGHT EVERYTHING YOU RUN INTO. The kitties in the starter area sting, and the harder the fight, the more stamina you burn. Not to mention the xp loss for dying.

STEP TWO USE THE FALLEN SWORD GUIDE FOR QUESTS

There is no reason to struggle with any quest. The guide walks you through, and shows locations. Use it instead of getting frustrated.
The guide can also show you every available quest in an area, just click on quests, and sort by minimum lvl. This is also a great way to pick and choose which quest to do first. Some early quests have valuable items that make your life much easier. DOn't rush to AH and start buying everything purple. Odds are, it was a quest item, and you just blew a big chunk of cash.

STEP THREE CLICK ON EVERYBODY!!

Examining people your level is a great way to find out what gear you should be wearing. See the shiny purple sword. Search the GUIDE for the shiny purple sword and discover all you need to do to get it is hand some dude a handful of sticks, or kill some creature you've already been killing.
STEP FOUR REALIZE HOW EASY IT IS TO MAKE MONEY ON AH!!

It still astounds me that people pay big money for anything purple. I've sold my purple quest items for big cash when I upgraded, items that ANYONE can get, but many gamers out there fail to utilize the GUIDE. I won't name it specifically, but there's a nice rune you can buy for 750 gold that sells easily on AH for over 4k. Lol.

STEP FIVE LEARN TO HUNT EFFICIENTLY

Caves seem to be more densely populated than the great outdoors, at least at the beginning. Find a cave, find your target monster, meaning the easiest one to kill, and farm it up.

STEP SIX, PVP AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Admittedly, this one kills me. Evidently, people take getting killed pretty seriously. I myself just wanna have fun, and kill when I'm gonna log and the stamina loss doesn't bother me. But I paid for my cavalier attitude. I killed a fellow, took my 46 gold, and merrily went along my way. Next time I logged in I was down two levels and almost broke. I still kill when I want, but I usually message the individual after slaughtering him and tell him if the money loss means that much, I'm glad to reimburse him what I stole.

STEP SEVEN GET IN A GUILD!!!!!!!!

Unlike some MMO's, this game is all about the guild. Your guild is happy to buff you, has structures that buff you, and most have a plethora of gear, especially low level gear, that they're happy to loan you as you level. Getting a guild does not mean accepting the first invite spammed to you. I ignored every invite that was just an invite, but the first person that sent me a civil, friendly letter inviting me to the guild got my attention, and I couldn't be happier. So far, I wuv mah guild.

STEP EIGHT ONE-SHOT EVERTHING!!

This game is all about stamina. Therefore, once you have gear and a guild, you should be killing all monsters in your level range in one shot. If you're not doing that, something is wrong, and to be honest, you're wasting your time. Once you start killing everything in one shot, the xp comes in so fast it's embarrassing.

STEP NINE LEVEL PTS ARE DAMAGE, PERIOD!!

I missed this myself at the beginning, put about ten points in attack, but honestly, it appears to be a waste. Damage, damage, damage.

STEP TEN TAKE ADVICE ON THE SKILL TREE!!

People have been playing for years. You are not smarter than they are, nor wll you glean a superiour method. Take the advice of your guildies and the guide threads. I wasted ten points early, don't make the same mistake. Someone else pointed out not to spread those points around. Choose a skill, and max it.

STEP ELEVEN HOTKEY ATTACKING!!!!

This is an addition to the original list, and it's just amazing in its simplicity, but the time it saves is astounding. Here's the deal. Us newbs run across a group of monsters, say five of them, we click monster, kill, back to world, rinse, repeat.

Try this. First, go to preferences and make sure the hotkey box is checked. Next, find pack of mobs, for this discussion, we'll say there's five. Now, notice each mob is numbered, 1-5. Instead of clicking on mob, click12345 rapidly. You'll jump to the attack screen of the last mob, and all the others will be dead. Click 0 to return to the world. WOOOOT!!! Of course, you burn the appropriate amount of stamina, but what a time saver.

It's worth mentioning that this is not that good an idea when farming mobs for quest items, as lowbies have three slots and you may fill up and miss the required item. Also, you'll need to check your bag after each attack.

STEP TWELVE REPAIR THAT GEAR!!!!

You can't repair enough. "R" is the hotkey for repair, I believe, just get in the habit of hitting it after each fight. FIre mobs seem especially destructive to gear, and you perform markedly poorer when your stuff is broken.

STEP THIRTEEN FSP USE!!

Treat FSP like rare diamonds at first. Don't spend them without thought. Certainly don't spend them crafting and upgrading weapons and armor. Your knowledge of the game is sparse, the weapon you just blew 5 FSP on could well be replaced by a quest item next level, and you'll be annoyed. If you must, stick to spending them on your max stamina, you'll need to spend them there anyway.

STEP FOURTEEN BUFFING 101!!!

Do not hunt without Adept Learner. Preferably, you'll be hunting with others like Find item, Librarian, Treasure hunter, etc., but Adept Learner is your friend and the way to level faster. Most of these buffs are free from guildies. Make sure you do not ask for buffs when you are low on stamina, others are spending their stamina to help you, be considerate of them.

STEP FIFTEEN ELITE HUNTER BONUS!!!!

First goal of all noobs is to gather the infernus set. Complete sets give teh Elite Hunter bonus, granting a 20% increase to xp gain.
20%!!!! Search any character you want above level 20, they all have a complete set, or I sure hope they do.

STEP SIXTEEN NO BEGGING!!

Begging for things, be it gold, FSP, or gear, exposes you as a mooch. Nobody likes a mooch, so don't beg.

STEP SEVENTEEN GIVE BACK TO YOUR GUILD!!

Your guild provides buffs, gear, knowledge, experience, and companionship. At the start of the game, it's easy to become obsessed with money, since you need so much to acquire upgrades. I know how excited I got when I discovered the plant drops that sell for so much. But, those same plants provide reagents that your guildies use at an alarming rate making potions. So, when you farm plants, put your two auctions up, then farm until you get three more plants and give them to a potion making guildie. Also, whether you're required to or not, giving gold to the guild only strengthens your guild and helps you in the long run.
So give.

STEP EIGHTEEN BE NICE!!!!

It's amazing what kindness and cooperation will get you in games like this. Some MMO's are a bit more combative, and of course that element exists here as well. But, as new players, us newbs need all the help we can get, and nobody really wants to help a guy when he messages "Where the %&$^% is the &%^$^$ demon-humping graveyard??

Kindness, consideration, and some simple courtesy will get you a long way in games like this. Take a moment before talking to people and be nice, you'll be astounded with the results.

LAST STEP!!!! HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

It's a game. Don't take anything seriously. PVP is what it is, take your lumps like a man, and likewise dish them out. If you get frustrated, log immediately, it's not worth it. If you get bountied for little or no reason, take solace in the fact that someone out there takes the game way too serious, and get a chuckle out of it. Try living by my gaming motto:If it's not fun, I'm done.

I've gotten some nice feedback in game from this thread, and am glad people have found it helpful. Please, bump this thread with a comment so it stays on the front page and helps others.

Have fun.

Cheers.[/quote]

#2 fs_robotussin

fs_robotussin
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 22:49

good advice for new players.... keep editing it! also, i would like to see more emphasis on "one hit creatures" :)

#3 fs_mackdaddie

fs_mackdaddie
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 22:54

good advice for new players.... keep editing it! also, i would like to see more emphasis on "one hit creatures" :)

Naw, I'm not picky, just wanna help. If they don't take the time to read the entire post, it's on them.

But yes, oneshotting everything is tatamount.

#4 fs_robotussin

fs_robotussin
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 23:00

Naw, I'm not picky, just wanna help. If they don't take the time to read the entire post, it's on them.

oh, ok... i think you are on to something, and i think you should continue to improve this thread as you learn more about the game

#5 fs_k00lb1rd67

fs_k00lb1rd67
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 23:09

VERY Useful thread for a new player. Nice Job :)

#6 fs_mackdaddie

fs_mackdaddie
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 23:30

oh, ok... i think you are on to something, and i think you should continue to improve this thread as you learn more about the game

Oh, Ok. Since you're so nice, I'll spruce it up a bit.

And I'll add to it as I level myself, something fun to do when the stam is down.

#7 fs_crace

fs_crace
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 23:56

What a great thread!
Well stated and well thought out.

Just in case you missed it - www.fallenswordguide.com is the guide mackdaddie was talking about. :)

#8 fs_thristle

fs_thristle
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2008 - 00:04

Wow! An amazing and organized guide! This can help many people because I think it has a better impression on newbies that another newbie is trying to help them, not just the high levels, who can sometimes sound snobbish to some.

#9 fs_krazykrab1

fs_krazykrab1
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:04

Wow! An amazing and organized guide! This can help many people because I think it has a better impression on newbies that another newbie is trying to help them, not just the high levels, who can sometimes sound snobbish to some.

I agree... I sound snobbish to lower levels when I help them... I think this is wonderful! Anyways, I love this! Keep it up ;)

I agree with your last step a lot... Many players get so mad when I attack them, but then again, its fun seeing them beg and cry :twisted:

#10 fs_mackdaddie

fs_mackdaddie
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:32

Ok, because of such kind and positive feedback, I'll augment this thread and get a bit more specific.

Again, cheers. I'll try and find time to work on this thread tomorrow.

#11 Cyssero89

Cyssero89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:38

Sheesh Where were you when I started out?!

Ive burned so many FSP on resetting skill points, and level up points lol . . didnt think when i first started, no worries,

EXCELLENT guide.

#12 fs_mackdaddie

fs_mackdaddie
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:19

Sheesh Where were you when I started out?!

Ive burned so many FSP on resetting skill points, and level up points lol . . didnt think when i first started, no worries,

EXCELLENT guide.

I was busy gaining sixty pounds playing a game that cannot and will not be mentioned here, but I suspect we all know its name.

:D

#13 fs_mackdaddie

fs_mackdaddie
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2008 - 17:22

beautiful mackdaddie! :D

TY mah guildie buddy.

#14 fs_mackdaddie

fs_mackdaddie
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2008 - 17:23

I was given another gem today, that I will add to the original post.

If anyone thinks of something that needs adding, speak up, object is only to lessen the noobish pain beginners can go through.

Update complete. Accepting ideas for more newbie assistance.

Cheers.

#15 fs_thristle

fs_thristle
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2008 - 18:22

the shortcut key for repair is "R", not "Y" :)

Also, you can press "0" (that's a zero) to go back to the world, instead of having to use the mouse to click it on the battle screen.

#16 fs_hobblegob

fs_hobblegob
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2008 - 18:27

I agree... I sound snobbish to lower levels when I help them... I think this is wonderful! Anyways, I love this! Keep it up ;)

I agree with your last step a lot... Many players get so mad when I attack them, but then again, its fun seeing them beg and cry :twisted:

Me too. :twisted:

#17 fs_mackdaddie

fs_mackdaddie
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2008 - 18:56

the shortcut key for repair is "R", not "Y" :)

Also, you can press "0" (that's a zero) to go back to the world, instead of having to use the mouse to click it on the battle screen.

Thank you, I'll add these corrections and additions immediately.

Ya see, I really AM a newb.

Added and corrected, many thanks, Thristle.

#18 fs_mackdaddie

fs_mackdaddie
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2009 - 16:15

Shamelessly bumping my own thread, I see many people that need to read it on the front page this morning.

Cheers

#19 celendais

celendais

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 21:57

nice thread. Deserves a sticky for it´s simpleness.

Might I suggest addition :

1. Use any set for the elite hunter bonus. Without it you lose 20% potential XP per kill.

2. Do not spend 1 single FSP on acquiring or forging low level gear unless you know you will get that money back or have asked for advice. Avoid all 9-piece legendary sets. Remember to look for gear that will last many levels and keep changing non-set slots with what you find along the way or what you can find cheap.

3. Learn how to search and filter the auction house. Don´t buy right away, follow the prizes of an item you are looking for , a bargain will always show up.

4. Stumble into SuperElite ? Sell the location asap , check SE-Kill log is the fastest way. do not attack !

#20 fs_akghicjfh

fs_akghicjfh
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:11

Great guide for newbies! You actually seem pretty smart for a level 20. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: