• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#21 jinks

jinks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 17:49

Apart from a couple of images not working, it seem fine to me.

If it reduces the loads on the servers, I'm all for doing it for everything :)

*edit* everything works now after using the fix beg2lose suggested :)

#22 dowuones

dowuones

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 17:52

If people like it and find it useful, we can expand upon it by adding many more images to it, for example creature images and various other commonly accessed images :)

It would be great hoof, but any chance to have something like: Click-> Download -> all done?

I feel that if i try to follow all those instructions my PC will explode before i reach the point where 'I'll be careful, I promise!

#23 sareth

sareth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Badge

Posted 03 December 2009 - 17:56

If people like it and find it useful, we can expand upon it by adding many more images to it, for example creature images and various other commonly accessed images :)

yes we like this very much, Item images would be very good

#24 fs_fradiavolo

fs_fradiavolo
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 18:02

The moment I install it, most side buttons and options are gone.
Needed to go to IE to undo it
Did a remove and reinstall: buttons gone again ( actually no pics at all )

#25 Coatzin

Coatzin

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 18:05

Yes, please. This could be the solution to laggy servers, just add all the images you can :)

#26 fs_mathcam

fs_mathcam
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 18:07

Dumb question: How can I tell if it's working?

#27 Coatzin

Coatzin

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 18:10

Dumb question: How can I tell if it's working?

Go to world area, right-click any of the arrows and select "View image". The image should be loading from "file:///C:/ ..." (this on firefox)

#28 fs_fradiavolo

fs_fradiavolo
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 18:11

After install pics were gone in both IE and FF
Had to go to IE to be able to undo it.

Removed it ( funny how one has to download 5 mb to remove something )

The about:config strings are not visible so I hope they don't need to be removed

Would have been nice if it worked. FS was the top data user in our company (200 people, 5 players only) and caused IT personel to block all Fallensword related stuff.

Will wait for the fully tested version as I should have.

Good try though.

#29 fs_mathcam

fs_mathcam
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 18:16

Thanks Coatzin.

I'm trying to get this to work on Ubuntu by going through Wine. Anyone more knowledgable have any ideas on this front?

#30 fs_balmaina

fs_balmaina
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 18:33

Installing for IE 7/8

1 ) Download and install the image pack from the Preferences page.
2 ) Take a note of the installation directory and paste this into the 'Local File Directory' box on the preferences page.
3 ) Save your preferences.
4 ) In the browser, click Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Trusted Sites -> Sites
5 ) Make sure the 'Require server verification' checkbox is unticked.
6 ) Add 'http://www.fallensword.com' to your trusted sites list (without the quotes).
7 ) Save and refresh the browser window.

Installing for Firefox 3.x

1 ) Type in this url -> about:config
2 ) Click the 'I'll be careful, I promise!' button that appears.
3 ) Then right click anywhere in the list of preferences
4 ) Click 'New' then 'String'
5 ) It should then ask for a 'preference name'. Enter the following:
capability.policy.policynames
6 ) Click ok then enter:
localfilelinks
7 ) Click on ok then right click again, followed by 'New' then 'String' then enter:
capability.policy.localfilelinks.sites
8 ) Click ok then enter:
http://www.fallensword.com
9 ) Click on ok then right click again, followed by 'New' then 'String' then enter:
capability.policy.localfilelinks.checkloaduri.enabled
10 ) Click ok then enter:
allAccess
11 ) Click ok and restart the browser.

FAQ

Q: Help I can't see any images now?
A: You can reset your preferences by clicking here to get directly to the preferences screen.

Or you can install this addon on Firefox: https://addons.mozil...fox/addon/12271 then add fallensword.com to allowed sites ;)

So... this is all I need to do ?
I am a complete noob at this sort of stuff... click "this" is a much better option for me.. or can someone come over my place and do it.. ? lol

How do I do this ? "then add fallensword.com to allowed sites" ?

#31 PointyHair

PointyHair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 18:36

If you are running the NoScript add-on in firefox these instructions will not work. however, all you need to do is go into NoScript options - advanced tab - trusted tab - allow local link. Assuming FS is a trusted site in NoScript.

I can't see any way around this, NoScript seems to override localfilelinks behaviour. might be worth raising with the developer of the add-on.

Other than this it is working really well for me now, the more images we can have in this pack the better! many thanks :)

#32 fs_naquadah

fs_naquadah
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 18:43

Ran into a small problem, where the images wouldn't load. If your like me I always type http://fallensword.com into the address bar.

Solution 1
If the images don't load, make sure you have www. infront of fallensword.com on your address bar.

Solution 2
Change 7 ) Click on ok then right click again, followed by 'New' then 'String' then enter:
capability.policy.localfilelinks.sites
8 ) Click ok then enter:
http://www.fallensword.com

#33 fs_mathcam

fs_mathcam
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 18:48

Okay, giving up. Isn't there some way you could use a hosts file to redirect any request to one of the image servers to the local directory of images?

#34 fs_warrior852

fs_warrior852
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 18:49

Is there anyway you can do this for Google Chrome?

#35 PointyHair

PointyHair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 18:56

Okay, giving up. Isn't there some way you could use a hosts file to redirect any request to one of the image servers to the local directory of images?

you would have to run a local webserver, it would be a lot more work.

#36 Beylor

Beylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 19:10

This is great. All seems fine except that the world map Necral Fields (South). Only square visible is the one with the relic? All other pics seems to be working. I don't think vision will fix this problem. lol

#37 SgtDrunkie

SgtDrunkie

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 19:16

This is great. All seems fine except that the world map Necral Fields (South). Only square visible is the one with the relic? All other pics seems to be working. I don't think vision will fix this problem. lol

They forget to add all the world tiles into the package. the same happenes in krul forest beach, im guessing they will add the rest in the next update (when I say it like that it reminds me of the arena update :lol: )

#38 Beylor

Beylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 19:18

They forget to add all the world tiles into the package. the same happenes in krul forest beach, im guessing they will add the rest in the next update (when I say it like that it reminds me of the arena update :lol: )

Ah. Makes sense. thanks!

#39 EJames2100

EJames2100

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 19:26

I think they should add every single Image into the download(Except perhaps Avatars) and then give us the download for that
(Perhaps put it on a download client so we can get decent download speeds too ? I.E MegaUpload, etc...)

And then update it every time they add the new content and stuff :)

#40 fs_darkkayla

fs_darkkayla
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 19:33

Meh. I can't get it to work, even after going through all that about:config stuff. *shrugs*

My main issue with it is this, though. The way it is, loading images is dependent on the servers. If I got this program to take, it would be dependent on my computer. And while I know the servers can be laggy, I know also the overall speed of the servers vastly outshines my one little computer. I'm afraid if people start using this program, won't it potentially make it worse for people who don't have high end computers and such? I mean, rather than relying on the speed of the server this relies on the speed of our individual computers.. and if our computers are slow, it'll be slow. Whereas the server has the potential to be fast most of the time.

Now, if this could be generically 'cached' or placed in cookies or something.. I mean, most of the images themselves are static, meaning they don't change from creature to creature (of the same creature) or the banner etc.. If it's been cached and can simply pull up the previous image rather than having to send a new server call... that would be a better way of handling it, as I understand things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: