Titan Hunting 101

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 fs_dougmines

fs_dougmines
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 20:26

Just thought to share what I knew about titan hunting before more then likely moving on to another game. A shame something so fun could be reduced to what it has become.

YOUR COMPUTER

1) All computers are built differently. So one shouldn't expect the same results as seen by those with say Alienware if they are operating on a lower end model.

2) All internet service providers reserve a portion of bandwidth for their interaction with your system to perform such things as updates and system troubleshooting. This can amount to 20% of your bandwidth. http://www.tinyempir... ... dwidth.htm is a link which will show you how to reclaim it. 20% can make the difference between success and failure.

3) Random Access Memory, or RAM is of some importance as well, in this instance more is better. Install as much as your system will hold for best results.

4) Set your hardware acceleration preferences to best performance. Graphics, rendering etc, require alot of system resources. While the display will look a bit differently, the additional speed makes it more then tolerable.Under mouse properties change it to fastest.

5) Disable all background running programs which are not absolutely necessary to playing the game. Automatic updates, firewalls, malware and spyware detectors, anything and everything not mandatory to play the game should be disabled to allot maximum results. These use system resources and many have to be in constant communication with your system to function correctly. Disabling them will return those resources to the task at hand.

6)Routers. Routers have different IP addresses and some actually reserve bandwidth themselves. This is mostly applicable to the lower end models but if at all possible, do not play with a router.

7) Keyboard movement vs clicking. The keys QWEASDZXC are all movement keys. Practice practice practice moving with these. Time will play it's part and your continuation will reap results.

8) Alot use skype or other chat programs to communicate when hunting. Skype does affect your speed so if you can get away without using it, it would be best.

THE FS WORLD

1) turn off fshelper altogether. Disable everything in the preference section. You do not need any of this running to titan hunt and it in fact halves your speed when hunting.

2) Disable all addons and plugins in your browser. They require system resources and interaction with your system and slow you down for no good reason when your only interested in titan hunting.

3) Your server matters. Currently FS has 23 servers running. The older servers carry the majority of the load on FS so the higher the number the better. Ideally for titan hunting I will not hunt on any server below 19.

4) You must have a reload every or autorefresh application running when titan hunting. On the world map set it to reload every 1 min 59 seconds. The mini map should be run side by side with the world page. Click on restore down to shrink the world map to half its size. Then click on the area map, or mini map to open it. You can drag the edges to get it to fit your monitor for split screen viewing. Set this map to refresh at 0-2 seconds, depending on what your system is capable of doing and still running smoothly.

5)Everyone knows that titans can hide on portals and structures but there are a few areas where they can hide that aren't so obvious. Following I will identify these locations, the first number being longitude the second latitude. They are soley in regards to the fu titan as it's the only one I have found such glitches to be present in.

Wasteland (North) 3,6
Wasteland (East) 3,5 and reportedly 12,12 though I cannot confirm the late

Also worth mentioning is in wastelands north, 11,13. This area appears solid when in fact it is not. If you take a second to look you can proceed east from there through what appears to be a solid wall into the adjacent area. I have done exceptionally well using this. Were you to walk to the area versus taking the shortcut, it would take 45 seconds minimum and it will already be dead.

STRATEGY

FS could care less about how much stam you have when releasing these things and with the new tkp system in play, stamina can mean the difference between a win and a loss. Ideally, have everyone who wants to hunt them save their stam until the full contingent is at maximum. Everyone knows who the other titan hunters are so take a sec and scan their guilds to see who you will be opposing. Only when done and your numbers reflect a favorable outcome should you commit yourselves to the hunt. Hacking and slashing are great, but a body absent a mind is a total waste of flesh. Think before you leap.

Well, I believe with all that said in addition to all the previous tipsters, you should be good to go. Happy hunting and may you too enjoy success.

This information should be viewed as well, Millerguy made an awesome post, and this compliments his insight with a bit of my own. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90734

Lastly, as some of these suggestions involve the investment of something other then purple orbs, I do not wish to come across as this will definitely work for you. This is how I have mine setup and it has been successful for me as wel as others. Buffs are still necessary as well as potions. These tweaks are merely for movement.

#2 Roan

Roan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,278 posts
  • Badge

Posted 26 May 2010 - 20:29

Thanks for this post mate :D

Firesinged_zpsd6b00c6e.png

#3 fs_dougmines

fs_dougmines
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 20:33

Thanks for this post mate :D

you're most welcome my friend

#4 fs_phyrstormz

fs_phyrstormz
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 21:02

some interesting points there i never thought about, looks pretty good :)

#5 fs_dougmines

fs_dougmines
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 21:07

Ty Phyre, it's a shame they took something so simplistic and made it into something far different but it is what it is,lol.

#6 fs_vertex15

fs_vertex15
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 21:09

Much appreciated doug. Thank you.

#7 fs_phyrstormz

fs_phyrstormz
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 21:10

Ty Phyre, it's a shame they took something so simplistic and made it into something far different but it is what it is,lol.

shutting off fs helper was the extent of my titan prep, it worked alright, but no wonder some people always beat me :P

#8 fs_dougmines

fs_dougmines
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 21:12

shutting off fs helper was the extent of my titan prep, it worked alright, but no wonder some people always beat me :P

should I bother to return to it, I will keep the other hunters at bay for you as best I can

#9 Uncle Beg

Uncle Beg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 21:31

Thanks dougmines for the QoS hint.
Always appreciate your knowledge transfer.

#10 fs_dougmines

fs_dougmines
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 21:47

always happy to help when I can in whatever way I can. You are welcome my brother

#11 Thoran

Thoran

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Badge
  • Spain

Posted 26 May 2010 - 22:38

Very well written and thought out, thanks for the Tips. :P

https://i.imgur.com/EZBgk78.gif

[image]https://i.imgur.com/EZBgk78.gif[/image]

I'm also known as @UnoWild

The Wicked Players

#12 cyrus7

cyrus7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 26 May 2010 - 22:48

I'm LMAOing at many of the "tips" listed under "your computer", but especially this one:

9) Run a short fiber optic cable from your computer to your modem. A short span indeed but the difference in cable to fiber will quickly reveal it's importance. Also if you have cable like me, any sets running will draw from your speed so turn them off if you can get away with it, me the wife would kill me if I interupted her soaps with such a pointless request.

... and especially the bolded part. Having a TV set on has nothing to do with your cable internet connection. If you have crummy signal coming into the house, the use of a cable splitter (even just a splitter with nothing else connected on the second port) can mess up your signal to the point where you could have speed issues, but if your signal is fine, then having a TV set turned on WILL NOT affect your internet speed. ... Though if you're the one watching the TV, it could serve as a distraction away from the game, but that's it.

Oh and to address the "run a fiber optic cable from your modem to your computer" thing... how do you propose someone do this? Additionally, your signal has already left the fiber network, presumably at the end of your street (unless you are lucky enough to have fiber to the house), but even so, you have a coax cable connected from your wall outlet to your cable modem. Translation: The "damage" is already "done" as far as knocking it down from fiber quality to coax quality; you can't go back up to fiber quality after that and pick it back up to where it was before it changed from fiber into coax.

#13 fs_dougmines

fs_dougmines
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 22:58

I'm LMAOing at many of the "tips" listed under "your computer", but especially this one:

9) Run a short fiber optic cable from your computer to your modem. A short span indeed but the difference in cable to fiber will quickly reveal it's importance. Also if you have cable like me, any sets running will draw from your speed so turn them off if you can get away with it, me the wife would kill me if I interupted her soaps with such a pointless request.

... and especially the bolded part. Having a TV set on has nothing to do with your cable internet connection. If you have crummy signal coming into the house, the use of a cable splitter (even just a splitter with nothing else connected on the second port) can mess up your signal to the point where you could have speed issues, but if your signal is fine, then having a TV set turned on WILL NOT affect your internet speed. ... Though if you're the one watching the TV, it could serve as a distraction away from the game, but that's it.

Oh and to address the "run a fiber optic cable from your modem to your computer" thing... how do you propose someone do this? Additionally, your signal has already left the fiber network, presumably at the end of your street (unless you are lucky enough to have fiber to the house), but even so, you have a coax cable connected from your wall outlet to your cable modem. Translation: The "damage" is already "done" as far as knocking it down from fiber quality to coax quality; you can't go back up to fiber quality after that and pick it back up to where it was before it changed from fiber into coax.

say what you will, I gained a millisecond from the tip suggested to me by a friend who runs a computer shop in my area and it did make me a millisecond quicker on reload. Now I know to guys who think they know everything, a millisecond may not matter, but for those of us who do know the importance of those increments, every little bit helps. Lastly, although you may not agree or outright disbelieve what I posted, if you didn't find it helpful you could have simply discarded it instead of coming here and deciding to flame a topic with ridicule. I am 14% from my Gold Titan Medal, what about you???? Oh wait, is that a bronze I see,lol Lastly if you had any clue whatsoever about how high def and bandwidth worked, you would never have made such ridiculous comments

#14 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 26 May 2010 - 23:29

say what you will, I gained a millisecond from the tip suggested to me by a friend who runs a computer shop in my area and it did make me a millisecond quicker on reload. Now I know to guys who think they know everything, a millisecond may not matter, but for those of us who do know the importance of those increments, every little bit helps. Lastly, although you may not agree or outright disbelieve what I posted, if you didn't find it helpful you could have simply discarded it instead of coming here and deciding to flame a topic with ridicule. I am 14% from my Gold Titan Medal, what about you???? Oh wait, is that a bronze I see,lol Lastly if you had any clue whatsoever about how high def and bandwidth worked, you would never have made such ridiculous comments

Doug, No offence intended.

Cyrus is correct about the fibre optic cable. She and myself both work for Internet companies and I can confirm that comment. This will obviously be down to a matter of opinion, so it's not something to take personally.

Some may disagree with your advice in certain areas. There are some good points in there, but also some incorrect and dangerous ones. It is important that these points are taken on a basis that it is use at your own risk.

Appreciate you taking the time to try and get more out there, and help people who are out there and your heart is in the right place with the intentions.

#15 cyrus7

cyrus7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts
  • Badge

Posted 26 May 2010 - 23:31

say what you will, I gained a millisecond from the tip suggested to me by a friend who runs a computer shop in my area and it did make me a millisecond quicker on reload. Now I know to guys who think they know everything, a millisecond may not matter, but for those of us who do know the importance of those increments, every little bit helps.

mmm placebo effect! :lol:

Lastly, although you may not agree or outright disbelieve what I posted, if you didn't find it helpful you could have simply discarded it instead of coming here and deciding to flame a topic with ridicule.

I posted because: 1.) It's a forum; its use is for discussion. I disagreed with what you posted, and I am free to post my thoughts. 2.) I don't want people to waste their time, effort, and possibly money on things that are not going to help them.

I am 14% from my Gold Titan Medal, what about you???? Oh wait, is that a bronze I see,lol

This is irrelevant. I am not a titan hunter. I wanted the bronze medal, so I chased enough titans to get it. I have no intention on obtaining any further titan medals... unless I just get really bored.

Lastly if you had any clue whatsoever about how high def and bandwidth worked, you would never have made such ridiculous comments

Ridiculous comments? I've worked in the cable [both internet and TV] industry for nearly 5 years. Where did your "informational tips" come from?

#16 cyrus7

cyrus7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts
  • Badge

Posted 27 May 2010 - 00:17

23:00 26/May/2010 [ Report Message ] {personwhoiswrong} says: you don't have to agree with me, but save the flaming for those more deserving, I only posted what I KNOW to work for me to try and help others [ Reply | Buff | Trade ]

LMAO someone doesn't like being told he's wrong. :lol:

Use his "computer tips" at your own risk; especially the ones that involve modifying settings on your computer that you do not understand, and the ones that have you disabling security software!

#17 Uncle Beg

Uncle Beg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 23:59

i didn't try all the tricks but here are the results:
23:25 28/May/2010
Skaldir the Chill (Titan)
1st Black Sun 1082
2nd Stronghold 680
3rd Bushido 593