evilbry's Content

There have been 107 items by evilbry (Search limited from 29-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#801793 Guild Store Popup Additions / Tagging changes

Posted by evilbry on 23 July 2013 - 05:04 in General Discussion

I would love to be able to tag items directly from my backpack.

#801742 Development Roadmap

Posted by evilbry on 22 July 2013 - 23:27 in General Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to give everyone an overview of what we're currently working on (excluding normal game content) and what is in the pipeline for the game. We'll do our best to keep this as up-to-date and accurate as possible :)

Currently In Development (Estimated Release Date)

Updates for UFSG (Thread) (1st August)

If we've missed something from the list that you feel is important, please let us know :)

~ The Fallen Sword Team

For the UFSG, there is a feature helper provides where it "Fetches creature data" when you do a search on creatures within a level range. Can this be implemented to remove the need for the helper feature.

#801714 FSH key components

Posted by evilbry on 22 July 2013 - 22:40 in General Discussion

From a coder/developer point of view, I would like to see the features which are more resource intensive (bandwidth and database for example) being rolled out first to improve game and player performance.

In some cases we can nail more than one bird with one update. For example:
At the moment, there's a feature where you can highlight and ask for buffs.
there's also a feature where you can search for buffs (by name) in bio's
The latter uses about 30MB of data each time you do a detailed search. What I would like to see is a function/feature where by you can choose an option to "sell buffs" and attach a price to them. They will be listed in your bio and people can select (tick boxes) the ones they want.
You can have an upgradable feature for buff packs
With that functionality there, you then can have a new page where you can search for buffers so you go to the page and can tick boxes to find people with the buffs you want (also listing their prices) with people only appear if they are online for ~15-30 mins for example.

There's a bunch of other changes like this and I think they would be better for improving the overall performance from a server and local point of view.

#801316 Ruby Tier!

Posted by evilbry on 20 July 2013 - 03:34 in General Discussion

I notice that in the list of the top 100 there were three people with identical scores.  While I have no problem understanding how they made the cut, I'm sort of curious as to how their standing was determined.  Great event though.

I was the third person to 50000, I was the lowest ranked of those 3. My place between the 3 never deviated through the remainder of the event.

Not sure if that's now it works but it seems to make sense

#801307 Change for FS.

Posted by evilbry on 20 July 2013 - 00:05 in General Discussion

Before I start my post I am not trying to be a debbie downer. I am simply highlighting the realistic side that many don't see(or want to see) of companies such as HCS.

There's a perception that a "quick and easy" solution will only take a couple of hours to be done and it will be in the game. This is simply not the case for 99% of the time. The players peception of quick and easy is different to the staffs :)

I can appreciate that. But, as well, you could allow the players to create content. 

Three players got to create legendary creatures for FS. Well, why not open up a competition for suggestions for creatures or other content?

few points here.

- There used to be a section in the old forums for 5 years encouraging players to create quests for use in game. This was never utilised by the cows to the best of my memory.

- Players got to create LE's, yes. But even with all the information(story, level, artwork suggestions for creatures and gear, suggested stats on gear, suggested stats on the creature), it still took a while[weeks] before it came in. It's a nice idea but not an overnighter or a panacea

- This would need to be done in private. It could absolutely not be done on the forums given the nature of the people who use the forums. As can be seen in most threads they quickly degrade and there will never be 100% and may struggle for 80% approval. Either wrong slots, wrong stats, stupid description or a multitude of other reasons.

Also, HCS does have it's new summer interns right now.

Summer interns actually create more work than they produce, especially in the first couple of weeks. During this time existing staff put their time into upskilling the interns which means less time spent on cody/artisty/questy/biggrimmy things.

My understanding was that they were brought on to be given experience in the whole realm of company operations (all their functions). a couple of months will fly by and as soon as they start picking up thier skills their internship is over.

If there was an unpaid internship for a couple of months SOLEY for Fallensword, Then I am sure we could see a lot of little things done.

What I didn't mention in my last post and is something I possibly should have but didn't feel it would be well received was:

HCS has limited resource which they pay for from revenue they receive. If Fallensword was making a significant revenue, they would be able to throw a lot more resource at it. Hell even get a coder on a 3-6 month fixed term contract.

The hard reality is, there are less and less reasons to donate as the endgames are so much more achievable. The global potions and xp events to an extent have removed a lot of donation needs as people don't need to spend anywhere near as much to get to end of content.

#801185 Global Event!

Posted by evilbry on 19 July 2013 - 11:02 in General Discussion

we got it how about next time we get a little something extra for going over the goal  

Or increase the target for ruby. It shows how hard people will work when there's a bit of an [unneeded] incetive ;)

#801165 Change for FS.

Posted by evilbry on 19 July 2013 - 07:24 in General Discussion

What gets me about topics like this is people talk about the dwindling numbers, but don't take into consideration the resource (coder/artist/writer/grim) time which is needed.
Even things which seem simple, such as a new LE or a new SE take a fair amount of time to keep up a decent level of quality. Down to designing the creature, story, artwork, set and so on.
Sometimes even simple things take a lot more time than people may realise from a coding perspective. Hoof even does a lot of coding out of office hours. There's bugs which they are fixing on a regular basis as well as trying to implement new things.

There will be a lot of conjecture that improvements will bring more money in. But that's just that. Conjecture. There's an overabundance of FSP being stockpiled with less and less to spend them. Flow on from that is less need to donate.

Really as players we need to take a big step back, look at what fallensword is, and be realistic about the leveraged resource which works on the game.

HCS is not Zynga, Blizzard, Bethesda or any of these other companies with a massive assembly line of staff in battery hen cages churning out updates.
Fallensword is not a simple game, it's evolved and has a lot of different facets such as titans, arena, pvp, and so on.

Fallensword has a small team who do their best to try and keep everyone happy. In doing so they have often become their own worst enemies. Such can be seen with the way it appears they always refer to the community for ideas now, rather than just putting them in. This takes up more time with the bickering and so as threads degrade into ego battles.
We can also see the uber potions working against HCS, while players like them, they are also the root cause when it comes to things such as boredom. "Oh I have an xp event and a global container. Watch me get hundreds of levels for little cost!" then a week later "There's no content, you guys suck".

Could things be done better? Yes.

We just need to find a way make clones of the staff. Except maybe forn. Another forn would be scary, and lead to world domination :(

In the mean time being constructive on the forums with meaningful and accurate information provided to cows in threads will often help us get nice things sooner.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: