39 replies to this topic

#1 Chazz224

Chazz224

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 00:41

So I've returned to the game to see some new stuff which is lovely - not any new buffs as of yet surprisingly but ok ... Many I've spoke with all say that the PvP Ladder is horrible it's also a joke.

With PvP Protection available as it is and as cheap as it is. Why not return the PvP Ladder to it's orginal format?

My Suggestion is to simply allow people to PvP at will for rating - this would be open pvp and those that wish to Opt out would be free to do so by simply obtaining PvP Protection for however long they so choose.

Expand the level range for all attacks incoming and outgoing to perhaps :

Levels 25 thru 200 : allowing them targets + / - 25 levels

Levels 201 thru 499:  allowing them targets + / - 50 levels

Levels 500 thru 899: allowing them + / - 100 levels

Levels 900 thru 1199: allowing them + / - 200 levels

Levels 1200 thru 1399: allowing them + / - 200 levels

Levels 1400 thru 1999: allowing them + / - 300 levels

To spice this up even more we can allow Bounty board action and so fourth

- While this may sound crazy and very radical - Just think how many people will be come very active with this... How many will opt out ? How many will run the bb and post people on the bb and clear people on the bb? The answer is tons an tons .... 1 ladder for all and may the best person win lol

This idea is open to discussion - re-formatting - of course positive suggestions - Trolls - insults Please pass on by.

This is merely an idea to help the FS economy -- increase all activity -- and improve the ladder so it becomes exciting for all yet again

Thank you all for taking the time to read an comment .

- Chazz

LuxFerre, on 09 Feb 2014 - 18:17, said:snapback.png

I do like the idea of widening the range of PVP attacks.  If it is to be with a +/-, the suggestion above seems reasonable.  The one ladder I can't see as an option because there is stat bias across wide level differences.

This was mentioned to me via pm - regarding the 1 ladder only and I proposed the idea of maybe breaking it down into 5 catorgories say:

Levels 25 thru 200 in cat 1

Levels 200 thru 500 in cat 2

Levels 500 thru 900 in cat 3

Levels 900 thru 1399 in cat 4

Levels 1400 thru 1999+ in cat 5

If the idea of a single ladder wasn't agreed by all or many. I am very open minded and the idea stands with open compromise of course . =)

#2 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 10 February 2014 - 00:59

I think that PvP (certainly in the "measurable" pvp ladder) just isn't as popular as some folk try to portray it as being ...

OK, yes, the ladders need some work, but there are VERY few players opted in ..

Level 1900-1999 :- 5 opted in (and the ladder prior to reset had 0 hits)

Level 1800-1899 :- 3 opted in

Level 1700-1799 :- 3 opted in

Level 1600-1699 :- 2 opted in

Level 1500-1599 :- 3 opted in

Level 1400-1499 :- 2 opted in

Level 1300-1399 :- 2 opted in

Level 1200-1200 :- 4 opted in
Level 1100-1199 :- 5 opted in

Level 1000-1099 :- 5 opted in

Level 900-999 :- 4 opted in

Level 800-899 :- 3 opted in

Level 700-799 :- 1 opted in

Level 600-699 :- 2 opted in

Level 550-599 :- 3 opted in

Level 500-549 :- 3 opted in

etc etc etc.

Below Level 500, the maximum number of participants on any ladder is 5 and a total of 33 participants across the bottom 10 ranges. So, a grand total of 83 players who have opted into the PvP Ladder.

The ladder does need changing - and changes are planned that both mix up the rewards and remove the ability to bounty hits on the ladder, but I think that opening it back up so that the ladder is not optional and the only way to "escape" PvP is to pay for protection would be a grave mistake.

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#3 Undjuvion

Undjuvion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Australia

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:13

i also think grave mistake changing the way pvp works in a game, it shoulda been setup in the beginning of the games birth then just tweaked, changing a gamewide function mid lifespan is always gonna be a populace affecting menace, regardless of how much better it would work at some levels.

#4 Chazz224

Chazz224

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:19

Below Level 500, the maximum number of participants on any ladder is 5 and a total of 33 participants across the bottom 10 ranges. So, a grand total of 83 players who have opted into the PvP Ladder.

The ladder does need changing - and changes are planned that both mix up the rewards and remove the ability to bounty hits on the ladder, but I think that opening it back up so that the ladder is not optional and the only way to "escape" PvP is to pay for protection would be a grave mistake.

I do not understand why you feel it would be a mistake opening the ranges up? Please explain here or in pm.

By Re-forming the PvP ladder this would do many things -

1. Many would join in to increase their target range of pvp attacks

2. Many would lose xp - gold and etc ( could be good or bad)

3. Many would populate the  bb - a) many would need clrs from the bb - B) many will people will take more interest in the bb.

4. PvP opt out vs protection ( A great many will be more then happy to purchase or dontate for this increasing the HCS's ability to help us.

5. The Auction house will move more an more items as people gear up to attack - defend - de-level - buy pots and etc.

I personally at this time do not see too many down sides of this idea. Just saying but again I am open to suggestions - Complaints do not offer ideas - I appreciate anyones support but I also apprecatie your ideas to better this topic even more - to claim anything - something could or might impact the game in a bad way with no explanation does not help.

Please carefully reply with ideas - suggestions to improve this thread - Thank you

Edited by Chazz224, 10 February 2014 - 01:20.

#5 Removed18058

Removed18058

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Badge

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:28

there will be complainers at the levelers and all these attack = bounty people

who from what i've heard managed to get it changed in the first place and tbh there are probably more levelers than pvp'ers ...

however if this would make pvp interesting for me then i'm in ^^ 

dunno how it would be tbh

Fastest asv healer
Fastest rg healer

fastest icc healer in progress

Gotta go fast :P

#6 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:29

1. Many would join in to increase their target range of pvp attacks

2. Many would lose xp - gold and etc ( could be good or bad)

3. Many would populate the  bb - a) many would need clrs from the bb - B) many will people will take more interest in the bb.

4. PvP opt out vs protection ( A great many will be more then happy to purchase or dontate for this increasing the HCS's ability to help us.

5. The Auction house will move more an more items as people gear up to attack - defend - de-level - buy pots and etc.

1. Maybe SOME would, but many ? - very subjective and unable to verify

2. Many WOULD lose gold and xp - and, I suspect, a lot wouldn't be happy about that

3. More bounties ? - probably, but are bounties sufficient deterrent ? - there's accusations of a lot of "soft-clearing" being done already.

4. If this is to become the "norm", that anyone can PvP anyone (within the level ranges) and it not be a ladder format again, then charging for protection should be removed. After all, if the idea is SO popular, very few people would chose to take protection ;)

5. Perhaps.

You don't see many downsides - we'll have to disagree :). I do.

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#7 Chazz224

Chazz224

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:42

4. If this is to become the "norm", that anyone can PvP anyone (within the level ranges) and it not be a ladder format again, then charging for protection should be removed. After all, if the idea is SO popular, very few people would chose to take protection ;)

This would only be on " A " PvP ladder or the suggested Break down of 5 different PvP Catorgory Ladders in such ranges - I am not suggesting to increase Target range unless someone is Opting into a PvP Ladder-

PvP Protection is available to any and all players in game. It cost players stam to buff- acquire gear - forge gear - attack others - Just as it cost players stam - buffs - potions to level up. Can't see any reason to change that aspect of the game. Merely suggesting if People Opt into a PvP Ladder their options would be expanded (as explained above) rather then the limited options players currently have today. Hence why this idea would encourage and inspire more activity and so on for the community of FS.

#8 iTzBiLL

iTzBiLL

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:48

. . . .  changing a gamewide function mid lifespan is always gonna be a populace affecting menace, regardless of how much better it would work at some levels.

This has never stopped HCS in the past. Name an aspect of the game and lets review the changes over time.... Would need a thread itself.

Anything to stimulate activity is a good idea in my opinion. Although this may not be the best approach, PvP, the bounty board and the ladder could use more INCENTIVE to participate. There will always be those who choose not to play, and they may choose to buy protection or just suffer a bit of XP loss.

INCENTIVE... this is what is needed. Not just on the topics in this thread, but in all different ways to play the game . . not just a few select.

HCS does a great job, and by listening to helpful topics and player feedback, they have they keys to keep a fantastic game growing strong!

Edited by iTzBiLL, 10 February 2014 - 01:49.

BiLL2.png

#9 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:52

PvP Protection is available to any and all players in game. It cost players stam to buff- acquire gear - forge gear - attack others - Just as it cost players stam - buffs - potions to level up. Can't see any reason to change that aspect of the game. Merely suggesting if People Opt into a PvP Ladder their options would be expanded (as explained above) rather then the limited options players currently have today. Hence why this idea would encourage and inspire more activity and so on for the community of FS.

^ Chazz224 wrote that, not I.

Yes, PvP'rs have to use stam and acquire gear and forge gear. The MASSIVE difference is that, other than PvP (and GvG to a lessser extent) is that these forms of "hunting" are against other players and thus don't/can/can't/do annoy said other players.

Hunting normally, or SE hunting, or Titan hunting is "passive" hunting and "hurts" no-one else.

I'm a little confused now tho .. are you advocating the removal of the ladder, reverting PvP to how it used to be (which seems to be the gist of your opening post ) or are you just advocating the expansion of the bands ?

If the former, then I'm still against it, for the reasons I've laid out.

If the latter, and it's just the ladder you're referring to, then open it out as much as you want - it won't affect me in the slightest :)

#10 Chazz224

Chazz224

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:01

I was suggesting the expansion of the current system we have at present. The differences I suggested is that aside from level range expansion (explained above) Players could once again be able ( Only if Opt'd into the ladder) attack players not Opt'd in the ladder in addition to them selves. So this could affect your personal game play. This is why many would stay active - gear up as well - post bounties.

When looking at the current system it's clearly dying - not enough targets - not enough AH sales - Not enough buff sales etc etc. This suggestion seems so far positive - even if the ladder of opinions feels it best just to keep an OPT in / out option and leave the attackers to them selves it would help slightly - Over all I think by getting more involved is what is key to keeping many active and talking explaining and teaching things along with increasing trade and sale of other things. So this is an OPT in option I am refering to however it also would involve players who are NOT OPT'd in being attacked in addition to those that are OPT'd in.

#11 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:58

I was suggesting the expansion of the current system we have at present. The differences I suggested is that aside from level range expansion (explained above) Players could once again be able ( Only if Opt'd into the ladder) attack players not Opt'd in the ladder in addition to them selves. So this could affect your personal game play. This is why many would stay active - gear up as well - post bounties.

When looking at the current system it's clearly dying - not enough targets - not enough AH sales - Not enough buff sales etc etc. This suggestion seems so far positive - even if the ladder of opinions feels it best just to keep an OPT in / out option and leave the attackers to them selves it would help slightly - Over all I think by getting more involved is what is key to keeping many active and talking explaining and teaching things along with increasing trade and sale of other things. So this is an OPT in option I am refering to however it also would involve players who are NOT OPT'd in being attacked in addition to those that are OPT'd in.

If anyone who opts-in can attack anyone (within your expanded ranges) who is either opted in or not opted in, then I fail to see the point of the ladder at all ?

The original aim of the PvP Ladder was, I assume, to be a mechanism whereby like-minded folk could slug it out to prove that they are better than their peers ?

From a PvP'rs point of view, yes, I can see this as something desirable - but, on the flip side, from a non-pvp'rs point of view, I see this as something undesirable.

No other facet of the game "forces" a player to buy protection if he wants to be "immune" to it - just because pvp'rs have to buy gear and buffs doesn't mean that your "targets" should have to pay to not be targets.

The bottom line is, anyone can attack anyone else in their range, regardless of protection or not - protection just prevents players from losing XP. I currently have PvP protection - and I still get the occasional hit for Prestige so it's not a "guaranteed immunity" thing that you may think it is  ? (I don't know how long you were away from the game, but it was changed about, I think, 6 months ago)

Anyway - I've laid out my reasoning, you've laid out yours - let's see how the thread progresses from other interested / disinterested parties :)

#12 Undjuvion

Undjuvion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Australia

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:04

This has never stopped HCS in the past. Name an aspect of the game and lets review the changes over time.... Would need a thread itself.

Anything to stimulate activity is a good idea in my opinion. Although this may not be the best approach, PvP, the bounty board and the ladder could use more INCENTIVE to participate. There will always be those who choose not to play, and they may choose to buy protection or just suffer a bit of XP loss.

INCENTIVE... this is what is needed. Not just on the topics in this thread, but in all different ways to play the game . . not just a few select.

HCS does a great job, and by listening to helpful topics and player feedback, they have they keys to keep a fantastic game growing strong!

i actually would like something that encourages a more active playerbase, in some ways how the ladder is, is a "joke" but i have had plenty of fun playing it also, to me pvp is something that some are possibly never gonna like and last time we opened the doors we had etc etc threads and we took another dive in numbers from BOTH sides of the "camps"..

i dont think the concept is bad to what is wanted but making it non opt out with all current ideas i have seen isnt gonna do anyone any favors in the big scheme, either by headache or upset,

yay im negative today but i SOOO agree with so many aspects of how pvp helps the game, more than most have even thought to think,

fleshing out ideas is the way to win though, something out there WILL work, of that everyone is certain :)

#13 Belaric

Belaric

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:18

I'm not really sure I follow this.

The ladder ranges could be expanded - but would that increase participation if the new ranges include major gear watersheds where folk at the lower end of the ladder could be at a significant disadvantage?

The ladder is poorly populated - but that is a result of people choosing to opt in or not. As Bill said earlier - INCENTIVES to play might work better than expanding ranges and saying "have at you!"

Saying lets have open PvP and if you want you can buy the existing protection, and lets increase the PvP ranges - this is a bad idea as it opens up folk to be easily farmed for rating (and gold and whatever else) by people at the upper end of the new bigger ranges. I do not see how that would encourage participation in PvP from those who have previously avoided it.

The OP has great faith in the BB. It is not shared by many others who view it as a failed deterrent. Many many threads have covered that tired piece of ground.

I repeat my observation that the BB was going great guns when people were allowed to de-level. People who had never cleared bounties were trying it, there were pages of bounties. Gold and FSP were flowing on BB activity. I know there were problems, I know people were bountying because 10 stams were not enough, and foolish verbal exchanges were had, but the players had evolved an aspect of the game, and it was finding life. It got complained about and killed. I think that was a mistake as I saw no real community wide harm being created by that activity, it did not adversely effect me, or my guild or my guild mates as far as I could tell or was told. I stand to be corrected if my perspective was wrong - do it in PM to me as it would derail this thread if we got into rehashing that argument - and yes, I know I just started it again - sorry! Chazz - that happened possibly during the time you were not here.

All institutions created by HCS get taken by players and their intended purpose altered - the BB, the AH, the ladder bands, to name but 3. Composing, the buff marketplace now, doubtless. Players find a way to extract maximum benefit from a game mechanic, it is the way of things. When something is highly unbalanced, and the developers agree that it is unbalanced, it gets changed. Like the BB during the delevelling craze/competition. A change was made to a mechanic and that activity was made mostly irrelevant by the change to GXP gain. No need to use the BB mechanic anymore, it got dropped, and BB activity rapidly fell off the charts again.

My point is - how often do we want to mess with in game equilibriums - which are created by patterns of player play and participation? It is when they get messed with that people get upset and stop playing.

PvP/Ladder Suggestions.

Widening the bands seems a decent idea at the upper end where we know the top gear options are pretty static for hundreds of levels. From 1000 they could go to 200 levels/band possibly.

Stopping bountying on the ladders is in the works and will prevent people using the BB to win their ladder battles for them. If you want to fight on the ladder, don't join, hit someone, get hit back and then bounty every hit when you opted to join a PvP conflict. However it must be remembered that the people that do that now are just using an allowable game mechanic, it may be against the spirit of the ladder, but currently it is fair per the rules. Let us see how behaviour changes once that ability is gone.

Ladder rewards need to be revamped.

1) New sets only last so long as the latest greatest item. Ladder regulars have hundreds of PvP tokens saved up, so any new items could easily be manufactured and the markets swamped if only one or two useful new sets happened along. I'm not saying no to new sets, but a commitment to regular sets would be needed. This might also be an area to experiment with arm/def sets and other less universally desirable sets as they could in time find new uses and so not be immediately outdated. Set design, as we recently learned, is harder than it looks, and folk are quick to complain, slow to thank.

2) PvP potions from tokens as a reward may be a good idea as it rewards participants with stuff they can use in future ladder or non-ladder PvP /GvG activity. But with the Chests getting new potions, and composing etc., we are rapidly approaching potion overload - there just aren't that many open slots in which to put potions without adversely effecting the traditional inventable potion market or the buff market. I do think that PvP potions from the ladder tokens would be a good idea though.

3) Gaining PvP prestige from tokens may be an idea - cash in tokens for % of XP gain - as an incentive to get non-pvp players in who might like the idea of earning XP % bonuses for future events. The idea would be to use the ladder to get people to try PvP who otherwise would not do it - if the chance to gain extra XP was there, I think you'd see players at least trying it, and if not - well it will allow PvP players to regain their lost levels faster still. EDIT - Make it faster to get to 10% XP gain for an hour via ladder tokens than it is by doing baby hits for prestige - it might work, and is an extension of an existing mechanic so may not be too hard to implement - X number of tokens = 1% XP gain. Static or sliding scale up to 10%, maybe further (to make it more desirable say 15% max), or tokens to be used to increase the DURATION of the XP bonus - that hour does fly by after all!! I could see folk wanting to be able to extend prestige duration via token bonus big time. That might draw fresh blood onto the ladder.

4) Crystal items from PvP tokens would be good. Both for frag purposes, and as top sets that would be desirable to wider populations, but with low durability - say 30, so they get cycled through fast and keep up demand. The downside here is I think many people have grown used to avoiding using crystal gear as a general rule.

I do not think increasing PvP will increase community activity. It is not a magic bullet for the game. I think the community needs to get bigger. Bigger community means more activity in all aspects of the game. I have no idea how that could be accomplished. There is less overall activity simply because less people are regularly playing. I recall the introduction of globals reversed the drop in online numbers for a while, so getting people back, or keeping the newbies that happen along can be done, but it is hard. HCS has tried, is trying, and has explained ,many times why they market the game as they do. Increasing PvP ranges and open PvP may be a bit of a kill or cure approach to the community and the game as a whole, it might work to stimulate the game, but do we take the chance that it could conversely kill the patient?

HCS have more skin in this game than any PvP player or leveller. This game pays their bills. They make alterations based on calculations as to how it will effect their bottom line, their cashflow. We are talking about jobs and mortgages folks. I think they may have made missteps in the past, and have seen the effect on their bottom line, as a result changes now are carefully considered. Changes to PvP are probably the most toxic in the game as they have caused the greatest distress in the past to both PvP afficionados, and those who do not care for it in the slightest. It is that legacy that colours decision making now with regards to PvP, I humbly imagine. If their phone games and Eldevin take off to the extent that FS can become a luxury game they can spoil without regard to its profitability... in what universe would any business do that? FS will get attention as long as it makes money and pays the staff that work on it - we should be grateful it is obviously still doing that otherwise we would be Sigma'd. IMO.

With that in mind, let's see how the no bountying on the ladder change goes.

Oh - final plug. Watagashi had a great idea to increase PvP ladder participation - a medal for time spent on the ladder. The dominance medal is for time at #1, but I think a medal for participating would increase participation, and once people have tried it and found it is not so bad, positive ripples could flow. I think a ladder participation medal is a simple, free idea that could really help that part of the game. I'd like a medal for my time spent on the ladder, and once folk have medals, ob/comp kicks in, and you need the next tier. If we get a medal for breaking items down, we should get a medal for participating in a more active and interactive player environment. make the durations involved longer than the dominance medal, but do it - it would be a great idea.

Sorry this is so long. Really.

Edited by Belaric, 11 February 2014 - 06:00.

Good-bye and hello, as always.

#14 BraveKath

BraveKath

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:30

This is a good subject, as I think it brings up an area that can use fresh ideas and brain-storming.

Now - forgive me, I know I'm going to ramble as I touch on various points.

It is my opinion that PvP'ers are the minority and based on the # of PvP centered guilds versus Leveler centered guilds, and that doesn't include GVG-Titan centered guilds, I think that perception is probably sound.  There never were a lot of guilds that were a truly combination of multiple aspects of the game: The Highwaymen used to be, but now I think possibly The Evil Dead would be the only guild with a true mix healthy mix of player types (PvP comfortable/active, levelers, etc).

Thus if there was a decision or viable push towards having all players have to Opt-Out of PvP suddenly, I think there would be massive revolt and the numbers online would plummet even further.  Asking a large group of players to suddenly have to pay to Opt-Out is not seeking their inclusion, it's forcing a situation that they don't want - even if it was 1 gold, as they will all say "why? Why should I have to?"  For change to be successful there has to be positive motivation, not punitive.  Change has to be perceived as a win-win.

I agree the Ladder is broken and I'm sadden by it.  When I've managed to find a competitive Ladder it has been fun, but that seems to be non-existent now.  I won't reiterate all the reasons why, as others have pretty much covered that ground already, and I think we all have a good idea anyway.

Above Belaric has outlined a lot of the issues very eloquently and the solutions he's proposed all seem feasible and that they truly would have potential and they would accomplish it through positive motivation.

I'm not envisioning that broadening the level spread for Ladder Players below Level 1000 would be competitive, especially below L500. Belaric's reviews this and I don't need to elaborate.

I really like Belaric's idea of tokens for the chance for increase Prestige (that's a definite positive motivation for many - PvP'ers and Levelers alike) and the other ideas he proposed and could be true game changers, well at least game sparks, not cold water.

Right now people sit on the ladder so long and with so many tokens that the gear invented with those tokens have crashed in value, as the market is flooded with them.

* We NEED POSITIVE MOTIVATION for LADDER SITTERS to change their ways and play.  Many of these players now act entitled to their medals and not to be hit, thus require a motivation to use their stam, to use potions and buy buffs to fight for top dog.  Prestige, gear, potions etc could be enough and their pride if a bunch of confirmed levelers jump on and start beating them.

* We NEED POSITIVE MOTIVATION for LEVELERS to get into PvP, and Prestige bonus can be that motivation.

If suddenly levelers are told they have to pay for PvP protection to Opt-Out 24/7 that's punitive, not positive.  I know of a number of folks for whom this would be a tipping point and they would leave.  It's my opinion that a spark is needed to ignite interest, not a forest fire to send people running away.

The idea for a medal for just playing the Ladder - excellent and wondering why that wasn't around before as it seems like a "but of course!" situation.

Bountying Ladder Hits: I strongly dislike that Ladder hits are bountied.  If you can't take the heat and you can't figure out how to beat your opponent, get out of the kitchen.  You don't bring your guild and all your friends to punish them for beating you or worse yet push them out of that ladder spread.  When you opt in, you accept that you may be hit once with 10 stam or a thousand times with a 100 stam and it is what it is.  

Gold and XP loss /gain on the Ladder - eh, okay.  Granted I liked that I could buy potions for my guild and do things when I played the ladder and not loose gold, but at least for me not a deal breaker.  In regards to the XP Loss, I think there should be some XP loss restraint to prevent a crowd on the Ladder truly having the power to bully and delevel a player out of it, and unfortunately some do resort to bullying.  So perhaps each player can only loose a set amount of XP on the ladder or while on the Ladder can't be deleveled?  I don't know, but time and taught me that sportsmanship is a lost art, so enforcing some reasonable limits seems best.

Dead Bounty Board:
A few comments on this - ironically to some degree PvP'ers need to accept partial blame for the BB being dead.  Everyone knows the "punishment" for going to the BB is light compared to the old days.  Should it change to the old way - possibly.  On more than one occasion a honest player that maybe got bent out of shape by being PvP'd, but still a good member of our community was pounded on till they were so demoralized that they quit the game: that to me isn't a win, it's a loss to us all.  Also generally several of their friends followed as they were so bummed out by it all.  Wars can be a lot of fun and a bonding experience for a guild, but until we learn again that it's great to have some fun,  but there comes a time when peace and compromise should be sought and not just annihilation we'll never "win". 
Okay I've rambled on far too long.  Tried to cover points made by Chazz, Belaric and so forth.

Again, glad this was brought up and I see hope in all this that there are ideas here that could be perceived as positive motivation for change and that the change would be a positive spark in the game.

Edited by BraveKath, 11 February 2014 - 12:32.

#15 Dulcharn

Dulcharn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 February 2014 - 13:33

To be honest, if the ladder ranges expanded, I don't think much would change to the range population habits.

At any rate, the lvl 1400 player wouldn't have the same gear at its disposal as a lvl 1900 player - let alone the lvl 25 player in comparison to the lvl 200 player.

Incentive to participate is the most plausible option for increasing activity for the ladder. I've seen older threads where great ideas for the ladder were proposed, just like great ideas were proposed for the arena.

Although I agree with the urgency of changes, I doubt that these areas are on HCS' priority list.

#16 DomCorvis

DomCorvis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 February 2014 - 13:35

REALLY? a ladder participation medal? thats like saying "hey i know you lost your race but heres a trophy instead"....has the ladder become the a 3rd grade spelling bee?(everyone gets a trophy for participation)

as for new rewards...I think we should have new rewards for tokens

IDK maybe its just me but i think removing bounty ability from ladder is a bad thing. Making an already weak version of PvP even weaker. Levelers have complained so much over the years that PvP (player vs player) has been faded into PvP(pillow vs pillow)....

As for the BB- Plenty of activity and punishment there. Myself and My guild mates are often smashed on BB. We just chuckle and move on. Ripping levels from those that deserve it.

Adding more incentive to PvP off the ladder and off the BB will increase BB activity. Pushing for more ladder type PvP will actually only hurt PvP. Find a way to encourage OFF the ladder and OFF the BB activity again and I bet you'll see increased activity of all aspects of the game. Gold targets are few and far between these days with all of the available options to hide,transfer or protect gold. Give PvP'rs an event of some sort. Similar to a global but PvP based.

Edited by DomCorvis, 11 February 2014 - 13:38.

RealmOfTheDead_zps1e8fa1f1.png

#17 Kedyn

Kedyn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 February 2014 - 15:28

This type of topic is always going to have a hot button associated with it as it affects major areas of the game, namely levelers vs pvp players. 

@ Chazz - I like the idea of opening up ranges in PVP, but I'm not sure if the ladder will be improved by opening up the level ranges in the fact that there are some significant level ranges where gear can make a huge difference. Level 1200 has a much higher advantage in the right gear vs a level 1000, just like a level 1600 has a much higher advantage vs a 1400. I do think that in normal PVP, at least for maybe 1000+ and 1500+, another increase in the allowable PVP range would be a nice thing to see. Maybe an increase from 10 levels to 25 for 1000+ and 50 levels for 1500+ might add a little more life to the PVP side of things, without causing too much a ripple I would think among the levelers. If they're worried about getting hit, they will just need to probably be more careful with the amount of gold on hand.

@ Belaric - I do agree that the PVP rewards need to be revamped. I think that your suggestion for current tokens for low durability crystal items is a great idea. Maybe even increase the stats available for that level range of gear (ie instead of 2000 points total for a piece of gear, make it 2500) but not allow them to be hell-forged. I'm all about more crystal and breaking crystal!

I also like the idea of PVP potions, or the ability to use XX number of tokens for an NPC to create a potion with selectable  skills and levels. As with composing, the number of skills and level/duration of the skills will increase the price of the potion. I believe allowing current PVP ladder tokens to be used here would be a great idea.

For any new gear, I would think that a new type of token would be a better way to go with the PVP ladder since as Belaric said, there are plenty of players who have hundreds of tokens whom could control and flood the market. 

Hashing back on the BB topic you brought up - the people who were looking to lose levels inflated the leaderboard of the smasher medal. Prior to that, it was nice to see those who actually participated in PVP (ie not free 100stams) actually have a leaderboard outside of the BB hits. I think if you were to remove the ability for smasher medal ticks from the BB, and bring it back into general PVP, there would probably be an increase in both BB activity and PVP activity (although this would probably be to the dismay of a few or many levelers, but would have to stick within a certain time period of activity - hits do not count if target has been off for more than 24 hours?). 

@Kath - I do agree that bringing in Levelers to PVP is a great idea. There are many areas of this game that increase the enjoyment to it (ie PVP, GVG, Titan Hunting, LE events, World Events), and people should try to take a chance to experience other aspects aside from hitting 1-9, r, repeat for endless worlds as stamina depletes. I'm not sure if a bunch of levelers joining the PVP ladder will really stop those who sit at the top of the ladders as is. Many of those players are on the ladders because they've broken other players from being on the ladder through constant hits and other things. Others, well they probably have been lucky to not have many people who care about actually competing for dominance, but just want the tokens to pile up.

Overall, I do think some things do need to be changed, but I'm not sure what the right answer is. As Belaric said, this game is definitely HCS's money maker, even though it has been dwindling for many different reasons. HCS still needs to make money to pay the bills, but they also need to provide a product that allows equality within the game. There have been times where the scales have been tipped one way or another, and I feel like the scale has been tipped in the favor to those who enjoy the leveling aspect of the game. The game has moved away from the original reasoning behind the PVP aspect of the game into essentially a PVP bubble. 

I'm not going to put my thoughts in about bountyable ladder hits as that was not the original topic, but I hope to see something positive come out of this post by Chazzz. There are some great suggestions within the posts that people have taken, and hopefully will create some more buzz and some more thoughts among players. 

#18 Belaric

Belaric

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 16:17

REALLY? a ladder participation medal? thats like saying "hey i know you lost your race but heres a trophy instead"....has the ladder become the a 3rd grade spelling bee?(everyone gets a trophy for participation)

LOL! I thought someone might take that view and thought about joking about it - but a medal for fragging? Come on! And we have participation medals already - medals for logging in? What is more here is a trophy for showing up than that?

People like their guild membership medals. All they take is time. I think the same instinct would kick in with a ladder medal. Yeah it would be meaningless to the guys who only want dominance, but if it attracts anyone else in that would be good, right? If it was made a top 5 ladder medal, so more in line with monthly top 10's or the top 100, which over time can just become medals for standing around having done what you would have done anyway medals, though it can take hard work to get there - well currently that would be almost everyone on the ladders, but if the ladders were more populated it would be a medal showing some skill, but not dominance, nothing wrong wrong with that I think. And - if it sucks and no-one is interested - no-one has lost anything by this change to the game! "At least do no harm." This change can only have possible positive outcomes, no negative. If indifference is the response... well we've lost nothing.

Kedyn - see I didn't know the effect on the smasher board - thanks. Is that reason enough to have disabled that activity though? What is the smasher board like now? Usual suspects or thriving competition? I shall have to observe it and see how it is changing over time.

I'll say again that I think a major way to get level oriented players onto the ladder would be to introduce a system where either prestige XP gain, or even better prestige XP duration extensions, can be earned. The idea is to get people to try PvP who would not otherwise do it. They need incentive. Adding duration to prestige via a token exchange is a huge shiny carrot to join the ladders, as 1 hour does not last long if you have a poor connection or an ocean of stam. And once on the ladders and earning tokens, players may find their appetite for or at least tolerance of PvP greatly increased.

Though in truth a good variety of rewards for the ladder tokens is the best way to keep the tokens, and therefore the ladders worthwhile - renewable resources uch as pots, breakable gear and Prestige that gets used up when activated are a good way to go. New gear, as I said, needs to be consistently introduced, and I appreciate it is hard for HCS to manage as gear is one of those things that can be accidentally game breaking - the good old days of helhearts for example. Ladder players made fortunes off that bad boy back in the day! And if it was so easy to keep coming up with gear and useful items.... well we wouldn't have any issues here or in the arena would we? New gear is a difficult thing to manage.

Good-bye and hello, as always.

#19 Chazz224

Chazz224

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 16:27

Many many wonderful ideas here so far - keep them coming please

I really enoyed :

Belaric's idea here: 4) Crystal items from PvP tokens would be good. Both for frag purposes, and as top sets that would be desirable to wider populations, but with low durability - say 30, so they get cycled through fast and keep up demand. The downside here is I think many people have grown used to avoiding using crystal gear as a general rule. +1 Creating new Crystal gear with good numbers is ideal it keeps people coming back for more and keeping them dressed with winning numbers - I also really liked the PvP potion idea you shared another +1

Regarding the idea of trading PvP tokens to increase Xp % I am curious as of now people who gain this XP % stops at 10% would their be any harm in allowing a 20 or as high as 50% then or contined time duration as well or do you all feel this could be game breaking? I am not sure personally but thought the idea of it was good.

Also suggested ideas were Smashing people off the bb but active with in the last 24hrs I thought was a nice idea +1

Maybe a Master Thief medal or such could be good

The idea of a pvp ladder medal for second place or for par -taking in - I honestly think is fine there are so many medals anyone can go for another sure - just not being mean and here I think Dom may have taken it personal from having had been on ladders prior perhaps - Being on a ladder - and winning on a ladder = 2 seperate things lol common sense nothing to be offended by either =)

I do believe that off the bb incentives could help the game as well in addition to the bb

I also understand and respect the idea of getting more involved by offering some new incentives that will keep many coming back for more =)

As I said many wonderful ideas lets keep them coming in =)

#20 Kedyn

Kedyn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 February 2014 - 16:43

Bel - I meant to also add in my post a while ago about the idea of trading the tokens for additional XP% or additional time from prestige. It's a great idea that could merit some thought from Grim and Hoof.  As you stated, in order to crack the amounts of tokens people have gathered over the months that the ladder has been stale, new gear/potions and ways to use up the tokens will be needed. Would it be outside the range of possibility as well to be able to use PVP tokens to help forge gear (not to replace the gold aspect, but to use a ratio of PVP tokens to FSP for forging)?

As for the Smasher board - I think that's still up in the air. The activity has probably dwindled a bit - as it's based on the Bounty Board 100 stams and PVP Ladder 100 stams. As activity on both have probably decreased, so has the ability to increase the number of smasher ticks. I

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: