#1 Bruut

Bruut

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Badge

Posted 10 July 2013 - 18:10

Hi there,

just out of curiosity not to get anyone banned or anything.

When editing my bio it states it is not allowed to "post any comments or quotations of a political or religious nature". I have seen some guilds how ever that dedicate their guild history completely to some sort of religious nature, telling me theirs is the only one or what ever.

Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against religion, am just curious if it is allowed and why it would be ok for a guild to do what is not allowed by a single player ... 

avimax_zps9d2c373f.jpg

#2 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 10 July 2013 - 19:27

Hi there,

just out of curiosity not to get anyone banned or anything.

When editing my bio it states it is not allowed to "post any comments or quotations of a political or religious nature". I have seen some guilds how ever that dedicate their guild history completely to some sort of religious nature, telling me theirs is the only one or what ever.

Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against religion, am just curious if it is allowed and why it would be ok for a guild to do what is not allowed by a single player ... 

Whilst personally an atheist, I have a live and let live kind of attitude, but yes, this bothers me too ... This is a GAME for heavens sake (pun intended) - it's not a flamin' pulpit. Willing to bet that any sites plugging satanism so much would be dealt with ;)

Let's keep the "cramming religion down peoples throats" to the door knockers and get back to enjoying the game ...

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#3 Anemie

Anemie

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 20:18

Creation of LHP guild would be a fun experiment...

Guilds with "satanic" names, imagery even bios do exist in this game... but, I would like to see what would happen to a Promethean/Luciferian guild if they would try to use their bio for religious propaganda. :D

#4 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 10 July 2013 - 20:20

Creation of LHP guild would be a fun experiment...

Guilds with "satanic" names, imagery even bios do exist in this game... but, I would like to see what would happen to a Promethean/Luciferian guild if they would try to use their bio for religious propaganda. :D

I don't mean the guild name - I mean, as you say, using their personal and/or guild bios to publicise their beliefs...

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#5 mimdala

mimdala

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 23:33

It should be noted for justice's sake, that just because a guild has a religious bio or an individual has religious stuff in their bio, does not mean they are trying to "cram it don peoples' throats" (I realize there have been some isolated incidents, of course). Personally, I don't think it has much place in a game, but if it bugs you, don't read their bios. There are a bunch of bios that I find stupid and/or offensive but because it's a game, I just ignore them.

As for the inconsistency in the rules, re guild vs. individual bios...I dunno the reason for that, but it does seem a bit odd. I don't see it as a big issue though. I thought a lot of people had religious stuff in their bios that hasn't been deemed unacceptable?

mimdala_zps719aa5bc.png

#6 aa0007

aa0007

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:41

I'm all for the creation of a pastafarian guild.

#7 watagashi

watagashi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:52

Im sure its case by case, for example I would doubt the Westboro Baptist guild would make it far in FS. On the other hand I can recall a few times my bio was at least locked up and looked at on days I posted lyrics to Slayers "god hates us all", Rammstien's Engel with english lyrics or other stuff not everyone would appreciate but hasnt got it pulled for that,,, yet.

#8 robnie

robnie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:54

I mean, they allow "The Number of the Beast" so hey who cares.

Honestly, I don't understand why people even bother reporting/mentioning such little things on either side. it's sorta.... not even a big deal?

#9 muabnesor

muabnesor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:28

The amazing part of this is that I do not have to read your bio unless I choose too.  I ignore the numerous bunnies flipping me the bird as often as I see other bios with religious comments.   I agree, its not a big deal.

#10 Versair

Versair

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:51

I don't see the issue, it's a fantasy role-playing game. As long as they aren't actively trying to convert people I couldn't care less. I see no difference than if a guild devoted itself to that hottie Sahria (I miss you baby, come on over and make it 6 blessings soon). And if you are an aethist I don't see why there would be a difference between a guild or person supporting a traditional religious deity or Osverin. Aren't both imaginary to you anyway?

#11 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:55

The amazing part of this is that I do not have to read your bio unless I choose too.  I ignore the numerous bunnies flipping me the bird as often as I see other bios with religious comments.   I agree, its not a big deal.

Granted, it's NOT a big deal - I just don't think it has any place in the game - esp. as, as the OP states, its specifically pointed out in "edit bio" that it's against the rules :)

Use the form below to update your characters biography. This is visible when another players views your profile. 

You may not...

• Promote any other game.
  • Post any negative comments regarding the point costs or any other game related charges.
  • Post any comments or quotations of a political or religious nature.

#12 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:52

Sheesh. My bio got removed and I didn't do any of these things.

#13 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:27

It would really depend on the manner it was written. A Guild mentioning in their bio that they follow a particular Religion and is looking for like minded players to join them has to be fine. Where as a Guild stating in its bio that you MUST follow this Religion or you'll burn in hell is just trying to be controversial and is not.

Granted, it's NOT a big deal - I just don't think it has any place in the game - esp. as, as the OP states, its specifically pointed out in "edit bio" that it's against the rules :)

Use the form below to update your characters biography. This is visible when another players views your profile. 

You may not...

• Post any negative comments regarding the point costs or any other game related charges.

I hope you realise just how all encompassing the highlighted statement is. " comments or quotations " does this include poems, song lyrics, film quotes? All of which can be political in nature.

Looks very much like the charge " Breach of the Peace " to me. Where anything can be deemed an offense. :(

Cheers.

wil72

#14 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 11 July 2013 - 22:53

It would really depend on the manner it was written. A Guild mentioning in their bio that they follow a particular Religion and is looking for like minded players to join them has to be fine. Where as a Guild stating in its bio that you MUST follow this Religion or you'll burn in hell is just trying to be controversial and is not.

I hope you realise just how all encompassing the highlighted statement is. " comments or quotations " does this include poems, song lyrics, film quotes? All of which can be political in nature.

Looks very much like the charge " Breach of the Peace " to me. Where anything can be deemed an offense. :(

Cheers.

wil72

Absolutely I do, but they're the cows words, not mine - I know they treat all cases on an individual basis tho..

I just don't think that religion has any place in a game like this ... 

#15 Mongo

Mongo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 11 July 2013 - 23:22

Bless you my child, for asking this question.

Now get on your knees and pray to MY god!  :P

Visit my shop! Mongo's Emporium for emotes, pets, vanity and more!

#16 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 23:39

Absolutely I do, but they're the cows words, not mine - I know they treat all cases on an individual basis tho..

I just don't think that religion has any place in a game like this ..

To be honest I feel the same but I still wouldny censor it mate.

Cheers.

wil72

#17 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 23:41

Bless you my child, for asking this question.

Now get on your knees and pray to MY god!  :P

Only if its the god of BEER! :P

Cheers.

wil72

#18 muabnesor

muabnesor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 19:17

You may not...

Please don't stop with just the part you want changed, there is more to what they limit

You may not...

• Post any comments of a sexual, discriminatory or abusive nature.
  • Post any foul or vulgar language.

The last two would address the many bios that I skip over.  I would classify anything "flipping the bird" would be considered vulgar or abusive. 

#19 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 19:21

Please don't stop with just the part you want changed, there is more to what they limit

You may not...

• Post any comments of a sexual, discriminatory or abusive nature.
  • Post any foul or vulgar language.

The last two would address the many bios that I skip over.  I would classify anything "flipping the bird" would be considered vulgar or abusive. 

For me it would depend on what the " bird " was being flipped at.

Cheers.

wil72

#20 muabnesor

muabnesor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 19:30

I just assume its not me :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font: