• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Darknave

Darknave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 17:43

So far I like the the composing aspect of the game.  Being able to create potions for personal and guild use has been fun.

However I do have a suggestion that may make it more appealing.

All potions require common fragments.  When you're at a lower level that's not too big an issue as most creatures drop those.

When you reach higher levels then you get very very few common item drops because EVERYTHING just about (not all but almost) drops rare items.  Which actually goes against the whole concept of it being rare in the first place. But that's really a discussion in semantics... anywhoo... as you reach higher levels you wind up with hundreds or even thousands of rare fragments that while useful aren't as useful as common.  Can we either change some of the higher creature level drops to be common?  Or...

Have a way to combine fragments and convert them from one to the other.  This would also in the long run allow players to get super elite frags.  Because honestly I don't think many players are fragging super elite items.

Some kind of conversion based on the level of the fragment.  For example using a base of 10

10 common frags = 1 rare frag

10 rare = 1 unique

10 unique = 1 legendary

10 legendary = 1 crystalline

10 crystalline = 1 super elite

and vice versa... you could take

1 rare and convert it to 10 common.

Or maybe make converting them up take 10 and down you only receive 5. 

Or possibly a sliding scale... the higher you convert the less you get / receive.

That might alleviate potential abuse.

Frankly I'm sititng on about 700 rare fragments right now.  I would much rather those be common or unique frags because those are just that much harder for a mid range level player to come by.

The only reason I have around 700 is because I decided to make potions in a manner that used them.  I can make the same potion using only common frags if i tweak it a little but even when using the rare frags I'm still using the same number of common frags.  Had I kept with using the minimum number of common frags then I'd have several thousand rare fragments that pretty much have absolutely no value.

Just a suggestion to improve the composing aspect of the game for those that enjoy it until they run out of commons and have to go looking specifically for creatures that drop those items, yet have so many rare fragments they'll probably never use them all!

#2 Uralus

Uralus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 18:02

I don't think this is needed.

If you require more common fragments, then go farm common items on a creature that drops the drops you require, or buy them from somebody else that farms them.

#3 Darknave

Darknave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 18:17

That's currently what I do. 

Since composing started common items on the auction house at reasonable prices have pretty much vanished.  180.000 gold (1fsp) for 6 common frags in general (a level 101-400 item fully forged) if I'm remembering how the forged bonus works correctly isn't worth it.

Maybe you have more common item drops up where you're at over level 1,000.  From around 400 to 740?  NOTHING I'm aware of yet drops a common item.  I have to travel back to level 433 to find a creature that drops a common item consistently. 

It goes back to the concept of common vs rare.  Everything drops rare items in this level range and it shouldn't. There should be more common items spread thoughout the game.

#4 cyrus7

cyrus7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 17 January 2014 - 18:20

Maybe you have more common item drops up where you're at over level 1,000.  

I have zero drops at my level. :(

#5 Darknave

Darknave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 18:28

That's what I'm talking about.  Common items should be strewn throughout the game. Not just concentrated under level 300.

More common items drops would alleviate the shortage of common frags for composers.

#6 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 18:29

That's currently what I do. 

Since composing started common items on the auction house at reasonable prices have pretty much vanished.  180.000 gold (1fsp) for 6 common frags in general (a level 101-400 item fully forged) if I'm remembering how the forged bonus works correctly isn't worth it.

Maybe you have more common item drops up where you're at over level 1,000.  From around 400 to 740?  NOTHING I'm aware of yet drops a common item.  I have to travel back to level 433 to find a creature that drops a common item consistently. 

It goes back to the concept of common vs rare.  Everything drops rare items in this level range and it shouldn't. There should be more common items spread thoughout the game.

I burn through commons at a ridiculous rate and have to buy as many as I can AS WELL as go on frequent common hunting trips. Is this a bad thing? For me, yeah... I'd rater get oodles of commons during my regular hunt but even that is not enough to satisfy my burn rate. I will tell you that it has been a boon for a lot of lower level players who could care less about fragging (right now). I have spent a small fortune buying as many as I can (to delay the inevitable as I will have to go frag farming in a week or so).

our #1 fragger is using his global pot and huge stam bank to pick up commons at a lower level... if he can do it, I think the rest of us can. Sure we could all use more commons but in the grand scheme of things, this has been more of a positive (especially for low levels) then a negative (high levels) and I don't think needs changing.

#7 RebornJedi

RebornJedi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 18:40

there is by far no shortage of common items in the game.. i know of a certain skeleton that drops only common items for 3 frags each under your level, OP.. 

I have zero drops at my level. :(

you have thousands of drops below your level ;)

#8 Darknave

Darknave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 18:42

Just to make it clear.  I don't have a problem at all with farming common items for fragments.  It's no different than farming plants for potion making.  The tweak that I think should be looked at is the inordinately high number of rare items drops to common item drops.

It doesn't matter if you're hunting level 433 or level 879 a common item is only going to give you 3 frags.  That's fine.  But when players have 10,000 plus rare fragments and no common ones that seems that something is askew.  And it's the fact that rare items are more common than common items.

#9 kalish

kalish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 18:56

Just to make it clear.  I don't have a problem at all with farming common items for fragments.  It's no different than farming plants for potion making.  The tweak that I think should be looked at is the inordinately high number of rare items drops to common item drops.

It doesn't matter if you're hunting level 433 or level 879 a common item is only going to give you 3 frags.  That's fine.  But when players have 10,000 plus rare fragments and no common ones that seems that something is askew.  And it's the fact that rare items are more common than common items.

I agree. The whole point of requiring more common frags than other types is that they are supposedly more common. But they're not. I think most creatures should drop common items, or at the very least more than drop rare items.

#10 RebornJedi

RebornJedi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 18:58

equipment drops should of been changed before frag'n came out but it is what it is *shrugs*

i suggested changing the non-Elite Unique drops to something else to make Elites worthwhile when fragmenting came out and was told it was a bit too late for that.. now a level 100something mudmonster is farmed instead of elites (atleast for hundreds of levels)

BUT maybe hoof will do a huge overhaul of the item rarity system in the distant to make it feel like commons are common, rares are rare, etc..

#11 RebornJedi

RebornJedi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 18:59

but to comment on the OP suggestion, i don't think there is a need for a frag converter system.

#12 cyrus7

cyrus7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,562 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 17 January 2014 - 19:41

you have thousands of drops below your level 

Just as the OP also has common drops below their level.  

The post was about drops obtained while hunting at the player's level, not about the ability to sink down to farm commons.

#13 Shylark57

Shylark57

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Badge

Posted 17 January 2014 - 21:17

Fallen Guide has 125 Common items from 700-750 listed... Not sure just how many are in Shops...

#14 MSCruz

MSCruz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:30

I like the idea of converting items because at my level I get a rate of 8:1 between rare and common items. It corrupts the concept of rare. I remember when I start playing the game when a "rare" item came to me I try hard to keep ip just because it was rare. After some time I realized that rare is just a word as meaningless as fairness.

Even if I have to pay something to convert from one to another, I think it will fix that misconcept of the game. At least until the HCS really fix it.

dilbert-input.png?resize=538%2C241

"There's no such thing as constructive criticism" by Tony Schwartz for Harvard Business Review

#15 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:10

I like the idea of converting items because at my level I get a rate of 8:1 between rare and common items. It corrupts the concept of rare. I remember when I start playing the game when a "rare" item came to me I try hard to keep ip just because it was rare. After some time I realized that rare is just a word as meaningless as fairness.

Even if I have to pay something to convert from one to another, I think it will fix that misconcept of the game. At least until the HCS really fix it.

I don't know if Hoof will change his mind or not, but so far, he's been pretty set on there not being any sort of conversion rate.

It's easy enough to get any sort of fragments if you move around - or buy them. I have to say that I fail to see the problem ...

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#16 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2014 - 16:32

Converting down would be pretty sweet. Not too sure on the converting 'up' though.

Being able to reduce SE/LE frags etc down to commons kind of makes sense, but the reverse seems like it would take some kind of external power? (thinking about it in a 'lore' kind of way. Which actually isn't usually that popular around here huh)

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#17 Davros81

Davros81

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2014 - 18:13

a fragment converter is a very good idea, I am constantly running out of common and rare fragments, yet have an abundance of Crystal, SE and LE fragments, which frankly I am never going to be able to use due to how the potion creating system works. Therefore, to make them useable, breaking them down to gain common fragments would be pretty nifty.

Yes I can go and horribly sublevel to gain common fragments but frankly I do not believe this was the original intention when composing was first conceived, in fact I know this to not be true. Furthermore whilst on a hunt, even with a Find Item 1000 potion running, I am extremely unlikely to get sufficient common items whilst hunting to be able to continue even making 20xp junk potions and this is annoying. 

#18 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 20:56

a fragment converter is a very good idea, I am constantly running out of common and rare fragments, yet have an abundance of Crystal, SE and LE fragments, which frankly I am never going to be able to use due to how the potion creating system works. Therefore, to make them useable, breaking them down to gain common fragments would be pretty nifty.

Yes I can go and horribly sublevel to gain common fragments but frankly I do not believe this was the original intention when composing was first conceived, in fact I know this to not be true. Furthermore whilst on a hunt, even with a Find Item 1000 potion running, I am extremely unlikely to get sufficient common items whilst hunting to be able to continue even making 20xp junk potions and this is annoying. 

With all due respect, the unintended consequence of how it was implemented was a net positive in my opinion. I have a party of low level players that farm frags and are ecstatic that they are gaining a dot or 2 on every hunt. If we were to allow conversion, this would take a nice income flow away from them. Even our #1 composer sucks it up and goes down to the lvl 900's to farm frags using lvl 500 pots... it's a small equalizer giving the little guys a chance whlst hurting the bigger guys just a wee bit. I vote to keep things as they are.

#19 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2014 - 21:09

Chewy even with a converter in place Bry would still have to mosey on down to a lower realm map, simply because getting frags of ANY variety in substantial amounts is next to impossible at our level.

Letting people convert downwards would in effect just allow them to use up ALL of the different frags they have accumulated before they have to hunt/buy some more. Wouldn't change the lower players income.

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#20 Davros81

Davros81

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2014 - 22:04

Chewy even with a converter in place Bry would still have to mosey on down to a lower realm map, simply because getting frags of ANY variety in substantial amounts is next to impossible at our level.

Letting people convert downwards would in effect just allow them to use up ALL of the different frags they have accumulated before they have to hunt/buy some more. Wouldn't change the lower players income.

Agreed I am never going to be able to use 500 odd crystalline fragments yet i need many more common and rare fragments due to how the fragments are consumed. Either allow the converter or allow folk to substitute  say using 5 LE frags instead of 20 common fragments when creating a potion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: