Decay rune is overrated

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 fs_tikbalang

fs_tikbalang
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 19:00

I've farmed it. Used it for 68 levels. Bought and resold some for a profit. And just now, I saw the prices on AH: 3 pages worth of them and the lowest price unforged at 119 FSP. Someone even has a bid on a FFed one for 129 FSP
:roll:
Compared to the rune of darklore - only 2 pages of them now (I guess people just plain stopped farming the Balrog) and I just became the first bidder on a perfect rune selling for gold. When I farmed these using groups I was competing with level 100+ players going it solo.
People seem to forget (or never knew, for relatively new players) that darklore runes were THE rune to have at that level...just because decay rune came out and added some 40 damage (more when FFed) doesn't make darklore less EFFECTIVE. Sure decay is outright better. But 129 FSP better? If you aren't planning on 1-hitting with the proper setup at level 140+ then I see no reason to buy a highly overrated rune. It's almost like when the Mancrusha items were going for hundreds of FSP each.
I just find it amusing. I got 80 FSP for my last rune some time ago. Should've waited a bit, lol.
Sure if you're rich, don't let it stop you. But riches don't buy respect...at least not my respect. I save it for smart players.

#2 fs_maegglin

fs_maegglin
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 19:15

I agree on most points.

I remember when I had to defend the Decay set :) against the Deep / Mancrusha...right now I`ll have to do the exact opposite :) Go figure.

Dont buy a decay rune (except if you are really, really rich). There is nothing it can do better then a darklore rune till 142. From 142 to 150, the extra 40-50 damage is not going to break anything - get a mancrusha, a Dark ethal shield and the rest - maybe you won't one hit kill 99% of the monsters but you will one hit kill 80% and survive. Get the extra damage from the newly introduced lesser santork gloves to compensate.

Past 150 it won't matter that much anyway with the new santork set. And past 160...no comment.

Is it a great item ? Definetely. Is it worth 130 FSP ++ ? nope. However, due to the high demand (more and more people are between 90 and 168) the price will rise for sure. But if you want to go the smart way - ignore it.

Oh and by the way, I plan to sell a fully forged Decay set sometimes soon :)

#3 fs_bladeboss

fs_bladeboss
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 19:44

I sold one FF two weeks back for 75 FSPs. :cry: :cry: :cry:

#4 EJames2100

EJames2100

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 19:52

I got 2 when they first came out, both perfect, quite cheap :D

But people survived without Decay Rune before and they should survive without it now, the same with Samael's Void Ring, it is not neccessary.

#5 fs_supfreakin

fs_supfreakin
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 19:58

Having only two stat categories helps with forging for an extra 10-13 damage too.

Also, just because people survived without it before doesn't mean it's overrated (there are other reasons for that). You want to stop hunting with Doubler? I sure as hell don't =)

#6 fs_tikbalang

fs_tikbalang
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 20:01

This is an encouraging thread. I thought I was just poor and dumb for still having my darklore rune for so long. I even just got on to look for a better non-decay rune (since I can certainly not afford that much FSP). Because of this thread I'm thinking about (finally) FF'ing my darklore rune and keeping it around for a while longer.

Needless to say, reading about the 140-180 levels has me pretty scared. My points aren't fully dumped into damage, and I'm going to have to save up my FSP so I can buy those OTHER high damage, non-decay rune and non-barron items for those levels. You've encouraged me to not sweat not being able to afford those items to have the uber one-shot gear.

Thanks! :)

I've never been accused of being encouraging...or having a positive attitude... :lol: but you're welcome :) Play smart!

SupFreakin - Yes, it's way better. I know it's essential to 1-hit setups, having gone down that path myself. But at the current prices, I'd say it's overrated. When you got yourself a rune of decay, were they selling for 129 FSP? I'm sure the price was much more reasonable like 30 FSP or so. Or maybe you farmed it yourself like me. When the difference in price is worlds apart (129 FSP for decay compared to a handful of FSP at best for darklore) then the difference in effect had better be staggering. It isn't. It's just reasonable.

#7 fs_supfreakin

fs_supfreakin
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 20:05

This is an encouraging thread. I thought I was just poor and dumb for still having my darklore rune for so long. I even just got on to look for a better non-decay rune (since I can certainly not afford that much FSP). Because of this thread I'm thinking about (finally) FF'ing my darklore rune and keeping it around for a while longer.

Needless to say, reading about the 140-180 levels has me pretty scared. My points aren't fully dumped into damage, and I'm going to have to save up my FSP so I can buy those OTHER high damage, non-decay rune and non-barron items for those levels. You've encouraged me to not sweat not being able to afford those items to have the uber one-shot gear.

I've never been accused of being encouraging...or having a positive attitude... :lol: but you're welcome :)
Play smart!

I think it's been proved by MANY of the players in this game that they don't want to play smart, they want to play rich.

How many people have you seen with excellent & perfect fully upgraded plague, fire dragon, thono, & deep sets?

I didn't HF anything until level 142 that I wasn't selling and I one-hit the whole way.

#8 fs_tikbalang

fs_tikbalang
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 20:08

I've never been accused of being encouraging...or having a positive attitude... :lol: but you're welcome :)
Play smart!

I think it's been proved by MANY of the players in this game that they don't want to play smart, they want to play rich.

How many people have you seen with excellent & perfect fully upgraded plague, fire dragon, thono, & deep sets?

I didn't HF anything until level 142 that I wasn't selling and I one-hit the whole way.

Way too many, I know what you mean.

My target with this post isn't those types of players, nor players like you or me. Just the few for whom it might actually make a difference.

#9 fs_maegglin

fs_maegglin
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 20:13

Having only two stat categories helps with forging for an extra 10-13 damage too.

Also, just because people survived without it before doesn't mean it's overrated (there are other reasons for that). You want to stop hunting with Doubler? I sure as hell don't =)

The comparison is hardly adequate. Doubler is a highly effective exp and gold buff. And it's a cheap one. If doubler would cost 4-5 FSP a shot - you woud think twice before buying it.

If you can buy a decay rune for 30-50 FSP - by all means go for it - its definetely worth it. 130++ however is a bit too much.

The only place where the decay rune might make a difference would be between 140 and 150. Now,

140 to 142 - Anklar panthers
142 to 144 - Slothers
145 - Ashen goats

All those do not absolutely require a maxed damage setup.

The bees and the spiders can be killed, with a decent % of one hit kills with a Mancrusha setup. The lesser santork claws bring an extra 30-40 damage compared to tenlai that can safely compensate for the loss on the decay rune.

The desvictus cannot be one hit killed anyway. So it all goes down to three creatures where the decay rune gives a relative bonus. Is this worth 130 FSP ?

#10 fs_maegglin

fs_maegglin
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 20:18

I think this will go into my soon to come signature. And yes, too many fully forged Plague sets out there....

#11 fs_supfreakin

fs_supfreakin
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 20:33

I went with deep at lv 80, but what is the alternative set if you don't do decay?

Deep is up to about 80-100FSPs (or more) for a set now, and it will cost as much as a decay set pretty soon (the rest of decay is still dirt cheap).

What is the normal alternative for players who don't want to drop the green on an expensive LE set at lv 80? (I know this is somewhat outside the scope of this discussion, but is still helpful).

Is it just decay pieces + darklore set? How long is the darklore set used for?

Making it to 120 with EH seems like the only difficult part of the hurdle if players don't want to use Deep or Decay.

#12 fs_tikbalang

fs_tikbalang
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 20:38

I went with deep at lv 80, but what is the alternative set if you don't do decay?

Deep is up to about 80-100FSPs (or more) for a set now, and it will cost as much as a decay set pretty soon (the rest of decay is still dirt cheap).

What is the normal alternative for players who don't want to drop the green on an expensive LE set at lv 80? (I know this is somewhat outside the scope of this discussion, but is still helpful).

Is it just decay pieces + darklore set? How long is the darklore set used for?

Making it to 120 with EH seems like the only difficult part of the hurdle if players don't want to use Deep or Decay.

I went that route too, but if I were to start over again with the current prices I'd FF a Khale set, build around it with assorted cheap stuff depending on what creeps I'm facing, and take it all the way to Mancrusha which is still cheap.

EDIT: Chilon once said that Khale can go all the way to 140+... he even posted an excel file with all the stats. When I get enough time I'll make a new topic about alternatives to Deep and Decay at those levels. I guess Deep/Decay sellers will want my head for this :lol:

#13 fs_maegglin

fs_maegglin
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 20:39

It might surprise you but the lesser santork + good buffs might be a decent option. It definetely can go up to 100 and probably higher .

Also - people were using the kamikaze tactics in that range long before Deep arrived (or became accessible).

#14 fs_deemer

fs_deemer
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 21:05

Noo! I sold my buddy for 82 FSPs 1 Week Ago! :( :(

Decay costs that much because it takes you farther than Darklore. But i agree because it really isnt all that much better. But when you are aiming to 1 hit 30+ Damage can make all teh difference.

#15 EJames2100

EJames2100

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 22:29

I personally think the Void Ring is over-rated at it's price at the mo

#16 EJames2100

EJames2100

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 22:52

It adds 150 more damage then a jahd ring. Thats a pretty big difference.

True but is it needed, is it absoulutely assential, I personally don't think so.

#17 whatyousay

whatyousay

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 23:26

Of course, the same people plopping down 120+ fsp for Decay runes are the same people who'll be paying 500+ fsp for FF-ed Baron sets later on.

It's pointless to argue fiscal responsibility in this situation.. they only want the best, regardless of utility.

#18 whatyousay

whatyousay

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 23:33

Of course, the same people plopping down 120+ fsp for Decay runes are the same people who'll be paying 500+ fsp for FF-ed Baron sets later on.

It's pointless to argue fiscal responsibility in this situation.. they only want the best, regardless of utility.

I would spend 120fsp on Decay rune.

I would not spend 500+ fsp on a baron set.

Anyone 168+ respond to my question above about 1 hitting with Rune\Sam's ring?

I think with Samaels (given that you have enough level points in damage), any rune with decent damage will do

#19 fs_maargeen

fs_maargeen
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:17

I must point something up... FS s not a lvling up game only... if you play PvP you simply need a lot and the best gears...

PS: I m selling perf FF decay set ^^... 200 fsp first bid 225 fsp buy now. PM me in game ^^
PS: noone said that but the best part of decay set is the helmet ^^

#20 fs_tikbalang

fs_tikbalang
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 21:03

S3YT0N - Yes, it's still possible to 1-hit without the Void Ring. In fact, without the Void set or Santa set, it had been done before. The same old non-set items that could carry you through 140+ before there was any Baron, Santa, or Void, could take you well up to Greshas Rune at 168.
What Baron, Void, and Santa bring to the table, is the possibility of 1-hitting with EH. What Decay rune brought to the table was the possibility of 1-hitting, period. That's where your 40+ damage difference matters. But before level 140? Is Decay rune really necessary? Do you really need damage that much at those levels? I seriously doubt that there is anything, prior to level 140, that cannot be 1-hit without Decay rune...maybe I'm stupid, so go ahead prove me wrong.
I agree to an extent with maargeen - the Decay helm is the best damage-boosting helm until you get Ilami. And even then it's still good - gives armor instead of defense. Overall, the rune is the best part of that set, but as several people have pointed out, you'd have to be fanatically dedicated to optimizing your damage if you'd pay 100+ FSP for it when there are alternatives out there prior to level 140.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: