Photo

please extend pvp attack range

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
325 replies to this topic

Poll: should the pvp range be extended (130 member(s) have cast votes)

should the pvp range be extended

1. no (79 votes [60.77%])

Percentage of vote: 60.77%

2. yes (51 votes [39.23%])

Percentage of vote: 39.23%

Vote

#281 DeadParrot

DeadParrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Badge

Posted 20 February 2015 - 17:12

2nd line, 4th sentence of my post that you quoted: "If you put this poll on the Home Page I'm relatively certain that percentage would probably climb to 75% to 80% of the FS population as most don't come to the forum."

Your relative certainty means nothing to me, or anyone else.

DP

Swearing, even starred out, is not acceptable on the forums. Cheers!

#282 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 17:26

This passive-aggressive post is part of the problem. Suggest a solution, not just whine.

DP

Whining goes both ways...

Solution 1: Do what the polling says. Open the poll game wide, I don't think the results change. Do whichever the game wide poll says.

Solution 2: +/- 10 as usual with opt in to go +/- 100 (which only works when other players also opts in to +/-100)

Solution 3: Make it completely open... no restrictions (except for maybe 1-100)

Solution 4: Increase range, reduce protection costs.

The off topic fun - I love the hypocrisy:

- Don't label us you whiners, scaredy cat, fear mongerers who are afraid to play all parts of the game.

- We only PVP for honorable reasons and having our players backs. Saying mean things in forums against our interests included.

- I can't believe the nasty PM's I get when I steal someone's xp and gold. That darn Jedi spouting off in the forums about trying to get more of the general FS population to embrace PVP! send him nasty PM's now!

- I love PVP. Let me send my guild and all my friends after you.

- I can't believe people don't play all parts of the game. Man I hate ___ so boring.

- You know PVP was in it when you signed up. It says so clearly right here "An active and dynamic community of thousands of other players." or is it here? "Players enter the world and explore, adventure across a vast number of realms with thousands of other players"

#283 Rocknoor

Rocknoor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 20 February 2015 - 18:00

Your relative certainty means nothing to me, or anyone else.

DP

Thank's for your input, it added so much to the ongoing dialogue.

#284 Calista

Calista

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 18:06

2nd line, 4th sentence of my post that you quoted: "If you put this poll on the Home Page I'm relatively certain that percentage would probably climb to 75% to 80% of the FS population as most don't come to the forum."

And the first 3 lines of that post from me addresses that comment. What's your point? We disagree on something pvp related? I'm shocked!

#285 3JS

3JS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 18:15

Whining goes both ways...

Solution 1: Do what the polling says. Open the poll game wide, I don't think the results change. Do whichever the game wide poll says.

Solution 2: +/- 10 as usual with opt in to go +/- 100 (which only works when other players also opts in to +/-100)

Solution 3: Make it completely open... no restrictions (except for maybe 1-100)

Solution 4: Increase range, reduce protection costs.

The off topic fun - I love the hypocrisy:

- Don't label us you whiners, scaredy cat, fear mongerers who are afraid to play all parts of the game.

- We only PVP for honorable reasons and having our players backs. Saying mean things in forums against our interests included.

- I can't believe the nasty PM's I get when I steal someone's xp and gold. That darn Jedi spouting off in the forums about trying to get more of the general FS population to embrace PVP! send him nasty PM's now!

- I love PVP. Let me send my guild and all my friends after you.

- I can't believe people don't play all parts of the game. Man I hate ___ so boring.

- You know PVP was in it when you signed up. It says so clearly right here "An active and dynamic community of thousands of other players." or is it here? "Players enter the world and explore, adventure across a vast number of realms with thousands of other players"

Solution #5. Let HCS code the game how they want to. It's theirs, after all. 

I've seen you mention PM's a couple times recently, chewy. I hope that's not directed at our conversation. I actually thought that went quite well. 

#286 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 18:22

Solution #5. Let HCS code the game how they want to. It's theirs, after all.

I've seen you mention PM's a couple times recently, chewy. I hope that's not directed at our conversation. I actually thought that went quite well.

The pm's I refer to are the ones that folks mention that they get from evil levelers after gold was taken. I guess this is used as justification to slap the leveler down and illustrate how terrible these players are. But I find it just a little hypocritical when folks like Jedi and even penny get pm's when they soften their stances toward the current pvp system.
You have been nothing but extremely polite. I can't say the same of others. I have received messages regarding my anatomy and such. Entertaining stuff.

#287 Rocknoor

Rocknoor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 18:33

If levelers truly want to be left alone, and were given a complete opt out, I'd bet that shortly after there would be a thread asking for prestige to be counted as an exception. It doesn't matter what side you fall on, not many are willing to give up what they're used to. Levelers are used to prestige by now. 

First I'd like to thank you for your thoughtful post of which I have just quoted an excerpt, no patronizing intended.  I do want to address the idea that "Levelers" (using this term instead of Non-PvPer's as we are talking about those that primarily level) are enamored with "Prestige" and that it is used in every hunt.  In my experience this is not the case, the vast majority of Levelers don't use it at all and those of us that do primarily use it only during double XP events. It is just not worth the risk of being bountied by 2 of the 45 people you hit to get to a full 10% Prestige Buff to justify the XP loss vs. the gain that 10% gives you.   You can easily see this yourself by looking at players profiles that level, the amount of Prestige Points is right there for all to see.  If you checked you would find the majority of Levelers have little or no Prestige Points as this is not an area of the game they want to participate in.  The theory advanced that we deeply care about Prestige is a straw man argument.  If it was removed from the game most Levelers wouldn't care if they even noticed it at all.

Edited by Rocknoor, 20 February 2015 - 18:34.

#288 3JS

3JS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 18:40

First I'd like to thank you for your thoughtful post of which I have just quoted an excerpt, no patronizing intended.  I do want to address the idea that "Levelers" (using this term instead of Non-PvPer's as we are talking about those that primarily level) are enamored with "Prestige" and that it is used in every hunt.  In my experience this is not the case, the vast majority of Levelers don't use it at all and those of us that do primarily use it only during double XP events. It is just not worth the risk of being bountied by 2 of the 45 people you hit to get to a full 10% Prestige Buff to justify the XP loss vs. the gain that 10% gives you.   You can easily see this yourself by looking at players profiles that level, the amount of Prestige Points is right there for all to see.  If you checked you would find the majority of Levelers have little or no Prestige Points as this is not an area of the game they want to participate in.  The theory advanced that we deeply care about Prestige is a straw man argument.  If it was removed from the game most Levelers wouldn't care if they even noticed it at all.

Sometimes I peruse through player bios when I have nothing better to do. Not sure why, really. It's just something I've always done. Since I came back from an involuntary leave of absence a few months ago, I've noticed quite a bit of "Just hitting for prestige" comments in bios. While I won't argue that there's a large number of those who would rather not be involved at all, I will say that there's a larger interest in prestige than you may realize.  

#289 DeadParrot

DeadParrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Badge

Posted 20 February 2015 - 18:41

Thank's for your input, it added so much to the ongoing dialogue.

Thank you.  I assume you are not being sarcastic.  I'm sure we all look forward to the Cows' official changes, but until then.....the current rules stand, don't they?  No point in arguing this.  If BG deems the attack ranges too narrow and decides to widen them, then golly gee, I suppose those opposed will "have a cow".  Will they leave?  Doubt it.  But if they do, there is always Habbo Hotel or Club Penguin (as Calista puts it, nice pillow fights).  

DP

#290 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 18:43

Chewy, if you had ever seen some of the messages I get... Stupid things, like

"Why did you attack me?" (It was a bounty clear ;)

I'm going to hunt you down and take out your family (Really?)

You are a [insert your favorite slur here)

I'm going to make sure you hunt rats forever (OK, bring it)

Look you're being deleveled Isn't that fun?   hahahahahaha (guess what they got)

Most of these I just ignore, some I answer with a couple of 100 stam hits, and if they escalate, I call in my sledgehammer.

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#291 3JS

3JS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 18:48

The pm's I refer to are the ones that folks mention that they get from evil levelers after gold was taken. I guess this is used as justification to slap the leveler down and illustrate how terrible these players are. But I find it just a little hypocritical when folks like Jedi and even penny get pm's when they soften their stances toward the current pvp system.
You have been nothing but extremely polite. I can't say the same of others. I have received messages regarding my anatomy and such. Entertaining stuff.

HAHAHAHA! Who doesn't like an occasional "member" joke, lol? Yeah, that may be a little over the top. I'll give you that. 

I will say, I've received numerous nastygrams from folks who I've just taken gold from. I normally write them off as frustration with themselves for not banking it, hiding it in the AH, etc. I even got one recently bragging that he just stole all the gold that I took from him, then proceeded to call me a few names he no doubt picked up at day care that morning. Sometimes they do get to a ridiculous point. I'm just trying to make the point here that this is a problem from both sides of this pond.  

#292 DeadParrot

DeadParrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Badge

Posted 20 February 2015 - 19:01

HAHAHAHA! Who doesn't like an occasional "member" joke, lol? Yeah, that may be a little over the top. I'll give you that. 

I will say, I've received numerous nastygrams from folks who I've just taken gold from. I normally write them off as frustration with themselves for not banking it, hiding it in the AH, etc. I even got one recently bragging that he just stole all the gold that I took from him, then proceeded to call me a few names he no doubt picked up at day care that morning. Sometimes they do get to a ridiculous point. I'm just trying to make the point here that this is a problem from both sides of this pond.  

After getting these nasty PMs from those I hit, I usually engage in some cunning linguistics, similar to the ones I write after someone asks me for some free buffs.

DP

#293 CountFxUup

CountFxUup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 19:03

This is why ive been playing Sigmastorm lately lol no drama there over pvp and such the cows really need to give it some love at least give it the new map system.

Edited by CountFxUup, 20 February 2015 - 19:04.

#294 rowbeth

rowbeth

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 19:14

If levelers truly want to be left alone, and were given a complete opt out, I'd bet that shortly after there would be a thread asking for prestige to be counted as an exception. It doesn't matter what side you fall on, not many are willing to give up what they're used to. Levelers are used to prestige by now. 

I've stayed out of this thread to this point because everything I wanted to say I've said many times on other threads. I guess that is true of this point too, but it is one I feel strongly enough about to indulge in the repetition anyway.

My interest in FS lies largely in the levelling (well, after the enjoyment of interacting with the community through forums and the like :) ). I have said many times, and will continue to say, that I think prestige rates extremely high on the list of bad PVP-related changes that have been made in this game. Fundamentally, it circumvents any control I may otherwise have over my risk of being a PVP target.

As a leveller, I would be glad to see prestige removed from the game even if no other changes were made to PVP.

#295 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 19:15

Chewy, if you had ever seen some of the messages I get... Stupid things, like
"Why did you attack me?" (It was a bounty clear ;) )
I'm going to hunt you down and take out your family (Really?)
You are a [insert your favorite slur here)
I'm going to make sure you hunt rats forever (OK, bring it)
Look you're being deleveled Isn't that fun? hahahahahaha (guess what they got)

Most of these I just ignore, some I answer with a couple of 100 stam hits, and if they escalate, I call in my sledgehammer.

Question is why am I getting nasty pm's. I hit no one. I just answer pm's. I rarely initiate. I'm just saying, nasty pm's happen both ways and none of it is acceptable. I do enjoy nasty pm's tremendously though. Rarely report them unless they do the old real life threats.

#296 rowbeth

rowbeth

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 19:16

This is why ive been playing Sigmastorm lately lol no drama there over pvp and such the cows really need to give it some love at least give it the new map system.

PVP must be a challenging concept when you have maybe three (?) players spread over 450 levels, but have to find each other on the same square.

Edited by rowbeth, 20 February 2015 - 19:17.

#297 CountFxUup

CountFxUup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 19:18

why not do that here then why have a search list to hit people make it to were you have to find them on a square that way there is total randomness to pvp

#298 rowbeth

rowbeth

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 19:31

why not do that here then

what - you want three people over 450 levels in FS? ;)

#299 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 19:31

Those folks give us a bad reputation. It happens and we all mostly understand why. But again everything happens both ways and you have attackers that bait you or outright get nasty. Some imply only one side does it. That's what gets me posting like a maniac.

#300 sweetlou

sweetlou

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 19:52

why not do that here then why have a search list to hit people make it to were you have to find them on a square that way there is total randomness to pvp

Why do you think SS2 never became popular and died?

[Signature removed]

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” -GRRM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: