Photo

PvP suggestion

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like this idea of gaining XP via PvP? (60 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like this idea of gaining XP via PvP?

1. Voted Yes (28 votes [46.67%])

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

2. Voted No (22 votes [36.67%])

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

3. Voted Are you crazy? (10 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Maehdros

Maehdros

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • Canada

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:15

Farming of semi-inactives who don't bounty back was already rampant back when prestige was added, this would further compound the problem. I've myself done many such hits (maybe 200 in total) and people have gone as far as to lose on purpose to allow prestige to be gained faster. This will do less to promote PvP than to promote farming of chatters.

Secondly, what you are suggesting is adding a second mechanism to help PvP'ers gain back their levels on top of the existing one (prestige). If PvP'ers don't want to partake in PvE at all then their levels should go down in a manner proportional to their PvP activities.

A failed attack doesn't gain prestige Oo. As for the farming of inactives, there's a simple solution for that: a minimum activity for xp loss ;) IE: someone inactive 7 days would no longer lose xp when defeated in combat. Nothing lost = nothing gained. If necessary lower it to 3 days if it prevents manipulation.

This isn;t intended as a way of re leveling, remember, you can be bountied for any pvp hit. It would also promote the 100 stamming of bounties. Too often players do not defend their own due to the inherent risk to them selves. PvP is a core aspect of the game, yet so many shun it due to xp loss.This is suggesting a tweak to pvp to entice those who do not pvp, to dabble in it more often and not fear it so much.

#22 Lahona

Lahona

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:18

From the now locked Update v2.03 thread

KitiaraLi wrote:
It has been suggested b4 and ignored by HCS, that a retaliation hit might be a good idea.

A combo of the above suggestions is still not a bad idea;
I hit you now, you have 3 basic options.
1. Hit back, and expose yourself to a bounty, and the myth that PvPers will rip five of you for a return hit.
2. Bounty it, with the option to rip five from me (pls note since some seem not to be aware, that a friendly bounty clear will take double the xp from me, compared to what my one hit took from you - not counting conserve kicking in).
3. Ignore it.

For some reason, this is not enough for some ppl, as a PvP hit taking fictive xp for some reason hurts some ppls feeling to a degree of the ridiculous :roll: These are usually also the ppl most outspoken against ANYTHING PvP related.

Adding a retaliation hit, could add a little extra spice to the game, and might satisfy more ppls thirst for revenge if;
1. If you hit back within 48 hours, you cannot be bountied. You also lose the ability to put up a bounty yourself, unless you get hit again of course. Goes without saying, you cannot bounty first, and hit back later.
2. The retaliation hit takes xp as per normal, but adds a percentage of that xp to your own character. Not all, but you will regain some of what was lost, while dishing out the pain to your attacker.
3. The return hit has the possibility of you losing. In this case, you should not lose xp, since this might prevent some from doing so - and I don't think you should be punished for trying to stand up for yourself. Should you lose the retaliation, you of course still lose the ability to bounty.
4. The retaliation hit also counts towards the smasher medal, if it is a 100 stammer.
5. If you do a retaliation hit, win or lose, you get a cool down period of 12/24 hours. Personally I do not really like my suggestion here, but I am trying to think of my targets.. and I know I'd luv it if they hit back, but I might get so excited about it, I return fire... maybe even several times :oops: and that would lead to another bunch of crying ppl on the forum.
6. None of the above works via ladder, bounty board etc.

Basically, a won retaliation hit will get you some personal satisfaction, some of your lost xp back, and get you free pvp protection from one player for a set period of time. Might even lead to you making a new friend 8)

My reply:
KitiaraLi, I think you have a winner here! I'd like a little more clarification of point no.5. Other than that (and it's just that I'm not entirely clear about it), I can't find any reason to object to it from either a PvP player or a non PvP player perspective.

I can see this as giving the normally non PvP player a good reason to learn about PvP and a good reason (in their eyes) to actually do a PvP attack (as retaliation) without compromising their own stance on PvP.

Hmm, just thought of one reason a non PvP player might not want to retaliate. What's to prevent the (percieved or real) possibility of the original attacker having the retaliater 'punished' by having their friends attack some more?

Whilst you are wearing your (excellent) thinking cap -- please work on how all the proposed buff and BB changes would fit with this idea. The worst part of the implementation of the 'Smasher' medal was not putting all aspects into effect at the same time.

I thought this was an excellent suggestion from KitiaraLi. It expands a little on your retaliation suggestion Mae.

I'm doubtful about having the attacker in the initial PvP attack gaining xp, and more doubtful about having xp gained through bounty hunts. Small steps Mae -- lets try for the retaliation as KitiaraLi has suggested. Maybe some form of xp earning from regular PvP can come later.

#23 Khanate

Khanate

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:35

Farming of semi-inactives who don't bounty back was already rampant back when prestige was added, this would further compound the problem. I've myself done many such hits (maybe 200 in total) and people have gone as far as to lose on purpose to allow prestige to be gained faster. This will do less to promote PvP than to promote farming of chatters.

Secondly, what you are suggesting is adding a second mechanism to help PvP'ers gain back their levels on top of the existing one (prestige). If PvP'ers don't want to partake in PvE at all then their levels should go down in a manner proportional to their PvP activities.

A failed attack doesn't gain prestige Oo. As for the farming of inactives, there's a simple solution for that: a minimum activity for xp loss ;) IE: someone inactive 7 days would no longer lose xp when defeated in combat. Nothing lost = nothing gained. If necessary lower it to 3 days if it prevents manipulation.

This isn;t intended as a way of re leveling, remember, you can be bountied for any pvp hit. It would also promote the 100 stamming of bounties. Too often players do not defend their own due to the inherent risk to them selves. PvP is a core aspect of the game, yet so many shun it due to xp loss.This is suggesting a tweak to pvp to entice those who do not pvp, to dabble in it more often and not fear it so much.

You don't remember when Prestige gain was tied to the difference in PvP rating? Back then losing meant you could gain double on the next hit, and if you were hit by someone with a higher level then you could lose rating without losing anything! Everyone in my top 10 was swapping hits with each other while smiling and giggling. A lot of holes have been plugged since then in the prestige system, but I am using as an example of how any system will get abused from A to Z.

By semi-inactive I mean players who log in without actually partaking in the game, they look at their log see a few PvP attacks and don't bounty, attack back or even care at all. There are many such players. It is entirely possible and very likely to simply start farming these players for levels without any fear of retaliation whatsoever, no matter how many limits you add onto the system.

Furthermore, there is no need to promote 100 staming of anything. PvP in itself should be promoted, not bigger hits. Your second suggestion did just that and it can be implemented separately from the first one and be a positive addition to PvP with very few drawbacks.

The retaliation suggestion would actually encourage players to step into PvP, even if a little, without opening any loophole for abuse. This is a good suggestion all around that barely needs any tweaking to work correctly. Perhaps it could be tweaked to work even better, but the first one needs so many barriers to even attempt to limit the abuse it will bring forth (and never succeed in limiting it).

Also, PvE is where experience should be gained. PvP is where you fight other players and where you can steal their gold... and gain tokens. PvE is where you level. There is no need to turn PvP into a bastard hybrid of both.

#24 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:46

Khan, this idea (gaining xp via pvp) has got about as much chance of being implemented as I have of becoming emperor of the world, renaming Earth into Doomsville and making everyone call me 'Sir Doom'..

The retaliation hit idea is pretty sound though.

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#25 Khanate

Khanate

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:52

It's just a shame that a decent idea which could be beneficial to the game and to PvP is paired with that other "idea".

#26 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:54

They aren't 'tied' together though. The retaliation idea could easily be implemented without the other 'idea'. To the betterment of the game too probably.

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#27 Maehdros

Maehdros

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • Canada

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:59

It's just a shame that a decent idea which could be beneficial to the game and to PvP is paired with that other "idea".

Glad you like it ;)

#28 Maehdros

Maehdros

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • Canada

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:00

Khan, this idea (gaining xp via pvp) has got about as much chance of being implemented as I have of becoming emperor of the world, renaming Earth into Doomsville and making everyone call me 'Sir Doom'..

I could have sworn you stated that already...

#29 Belaric

Belaric

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:03

You don't remember when Prestige gain was tied to the difference in PvP rating? Back then losing meant you could gain double on the next hit, and if you were hit by someone with a higher level then you could lose rating without losing anything! Everyone in my top 10 was swapping hits with each other while smiling and giggling. A lot of holes have been plugged since then in the prestige system, but I am using as an example of how any system will get abused from A to Z.

By semi-inactive I mean players who log in without actually partaking in the game, they look at their log see a few PvP attacks and don't bounty, attack back or even care at all. There are many such players. It is entirely possible and very likely to simply start farming these players for levels without any fear of retaliation whatsoever, no matter how many limits you add onto the system.

Furthermore, there is no need to promote 100 staming of anything. PvP in itself should be promoted, not bigger hits. Your second suggestion did just that and it can be implemented separately from the first one and be a positive addition to PvP with very few drawbacks.

The retaliation suggestion would actually encourage players to step into PvP, even if a little, without opening any loophole for abuse. This is a good suggestion all around that barely needs any tweaking to work correctly. Perhaps it could be tweaked to work even better, but the first one needs so many barriers to even attempt to limit the abuse it will bring forth (and never succeed in limiting it).

Also, PvE is where experience should be gained. PvP is where you fight other players and where you can steal their gold... and gain tokens. PvE is where you level. There is no need to turn PvP into a bastard hybrid of both.

#30 Khanate

Khanate

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:14

Glad you like it ;)

A good idea is a good idea.

#31 creekdiver

creekdiver

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:59

Love the retaliation idea - hate the gain XP from PvP idea ;)

#32 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:41

I could have sworn you stated that already...

About taking over the world and demanding everyone worship and everyone call me Sir Doom? It's possible, my ambitions know no bounds when I'm severely sleep deprived or buzzing from too much caffeine...

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#33 avvakum

avvakum

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:59

Mae, my only thoughts are that the Bounty Board is empty again.

Here is a suggestion: relate the number of bounties on the Bounty Board to the number of creatures in the maps. So, if bounty hunters don't have anyone to kill, the levelers should have empty maps too. That's the only way to understanding. :wink:

#34 RedFinn

RedFinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:22

I'd vote yes if there was an option to opt out of the xp gaining...

I really dont want the xp from PvP, I wouldnt mind others to gain it if I lose tho.

But, as it stands, theres not going to be much PvP in the game anyway so...

eFqM9lD.gif

#35 avvakum

avvakum

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:04

Imagine your leveling session: [ No creatures available. ]

Posted Image

#36 RedFinn

RedFinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 13:29

Is that screenie from today? Atleast it could be...

The medal changes back and forth really put a life on PvP and the bounty board, didnt it :roll:

Awesome job!

eFqM9lD.gif

#37 Khanate

Khanate

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 14:29

Imagine your leveling session: [ No creatures available. ]

Posted Image

That's more of a reflection of the sad state of the game.

#38 Bunnybee

Bunnybee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 19:17

Yeah I don't know about that, the "state of the game" was looking up a few days ago. Now not so much. Of course anyone enveloped in their own little world, that got to see that world stay static, they probably haven't noticed.

I think it's a good idea, how anyone could fail to see that I don't know. It's hard for me to look over here at the moment (the forum), but I could hardly pass this by.

#39 hmfic

hmfic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 23:53

The BB was extremely active when the "smasher medal" was related to actual PvP. Now its just dwindling down to the last few people willing to keep 100 stamming bounties and losing levels. Put the "smasher medal" back to normal 100 stam PvP attacks and watch BB return to life

#40 Leos3000

Leos3000

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 00:59

just have to ROFL as when I suggested something similar to this months ago almost all the people in here +1 the original poster who also said the idea was insane are now in favor of it :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: