#21 Undjuvion

Undjuvion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Australia

Posted 11 May 2012 - 23:39

ty hoof for working with this thread, its a very important thread in my opinion.

dont know if there is the option but if you had the option to skip the tutorial some would like that, back when SS2 started i dropped out after a few levels cos i didnt like the tutorial type thing, i only went back there months later cos someone from FS asked to me join their faction, someone else likely isnt going to asked to come back to FS as noone knows where they went.

an idea thats not new is maybe some bound pots for reaching higher levels, maybe at lvl 10, 25, 50 and 100 you get one so there is something else to work for, something thats worthwhile, maybe a pot with three buffs like AL, LIB and CON lvl 200.

stopping being able to be hit in GvG for one month after starting would also be good as was suggested.

#22 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:08

Would you start playing a new game when you see so many players retired in almost every players allies list there are little purple dots. The game needs to look after those here before it tries to find new blood.

It amazes me that supposedly expert coders can continually release updates with bugs in them...If I did my own job that badly I would be unemployed .

#23 fs_lordtobar

fs_lordtobar
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:29

What is ironic is that many of the people who are complaining about so many players leaving the game are the very reason many of those people left. Studies have shown that MMO games live or die based on the character of the player community. The bad drives out the good. It only takes a small percentage of jerks to ruin people's enjoyment of an MMO. So they leave for another one. Plenty of them out there.

But it is easier to blame the Cows than to look in the mirror. If the Cows are at fault for anything, it is for leaving the jerks free to be jerks. That's what is killing the game ... and killing the forums.

#24 fs_scrogger

fs_scrogger
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 13:10

What is ironic is that many of the people who are complaining about so many players leaving the game are the very reason many of those people left. Studies have shown that MMO games live or die based on the character of the player community. The bad drives out the good. It only takes a small percentage of jerks to ruin people's enjoyment of an MMO. So they leave for another one. Plenty of them out there.

But it is easier to blame the Cows than to look in the mirror. If the Cows are at fault for anything, it is for leaving the jerks free to be jerks. That's what is killing the game ... and killing the forums.

Your post was very helpful :roll: Let's point fingers and place blame on a thread that is offering solutions to a struggling games life, and a COW commented on it, yet you felt the need to bash someone (which after looking I don't see what your point is), how about you offer some ideas or go away.

Also show me these studies or provide a link, don't just post things.

#25 Bleltch

Bleltch

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 17:35

It's time to rethink your game plan on bringing in new players.

2:Increase max stam to 2500 and stam gain to 65. This will allow them to hunt more often to lvl faster as well as try out more things. (will also help make it look like EOC isn't so far away to them hopefully)

3:Increase starting bp slots to 10. Will give them a little more space to try out things that will help them make fsp for upgrades like farming plants and so on.

4:Give them some cheap bound starting gear maybe.

These would just be bandaids. Until someone can come up with a fix for the underlying problem, (that the game is too expensive to play) most players signing up are going to be turned off by it. The existing players have too big a foothold on the game, new players cant reasonably compete.

#26 Windbattle

Windbattle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 May 2012 - 23:53

1:Increase the starting protection to lvl 50 and don't allow them to hit other players period(so no accidental hitting and losing it). Put a time limit on it of lvl 50 or one month whichever comes first.

2:Increase max stam to 2500 and stam gain to 65. This will allow them to hunt more often to lvl faster as well as try out more things. (will also help make it look like EOC isn't so far away to them hopefully)

3:Increase starting bp slots to 10. Will give them a little more space to try out things that will help them make fsp for upgrades like farming plants and so on.

4:Give them some cheap bound starting gear maybe.

5:Once again. Staff needs to play the game. I don't mean just test something for a bit looking for bugs (bugs don't always show up in a few hours of testing) ,but actually play just like the rest of us. You'll understand what frustrates players better and what we enjoy.

6:And again. Staff needs to be more active in the community. When a friend asked me to start playing the first thing I did was check the forum. Staff was more active in it as well as more helpful. Frankly if it was like it is now I'd of never started playing FS.

Everything looks good, but NO to 1 and 4.

1) They should be able to be GvGed if they join a guild and pvping should exist in the lower levels. they will get accustomed to it early and decide if this is the game for them or not. If they can't handle it, oh well ... (might reduce pvp hate in the game)

4) There is SO MUCH gear in the game already ... no need for more, especially for level 1-300. OMG !!! When I started in 2009, there was a good amount of gear, then in 2010-2011 they TRIPLED the sets for no good reason. That has hurt the economy in many ways.

#27 Windbattle

Windbattle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 May 2012 - 23:54

These would just be bandaids. Until someone can come up with a fix for the underlying problem, (that the game is too expensive to play) most players signing up are going to be turned off by it. The existing players have too big a foothold on the game, new players cant reasonably compete.

Okay, but what is your suggestion? I agree with what your saying, but how can that be fixed? Should it be fixed? idk.

#28 Windbattle

Windbattle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 May 2012 - 23:58

5:Once again. Staff needs to play the game. I don't mean just test something for a bit looking for bugs (bugs don't always show up in a few hours of testing) ,but actually play just like the rest of us. You'll understand what frustrates players better and what we enjoy.

I'll see what we can do - the more time we spend playing the game however, the less time there is to develop it :(

I hate to be blunt, but your not in touch with the player base. You don't know who is whining to get their way and what REALLY needs to change. You go on feedback blindly.

#29 Bleltch

Bleltch

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:15

Okay, but what is your suggestion? I agree with what your saying, but how can that be fixed? Should it be fixed? idk.

There's nothing we can do about it from our end. It's up to the developers to decide for themselves what's important. I just want to play a game. Preferably a healthy one that i can get a fair shake at.

#30 Khanate

Khanate

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:36

I've said it numerous times before. The starting account needs to feel like a playable account.

2500 stamina, 10 backpack slot. Non-donators are also important members of the community and I hate it when players realize that they should hunt every 8 hour, it makes them quit.

#31 parashuram

parashuram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:27

Based on my experience in other MMORPGs --- without naming any names ---- any game that has been going on for so long needs to become easier and easier for the starting levels. There is absolutely no doubt that this is a necessity for the survival of the game. When EOC seems far for new starting players, things look bleak and they don't stay. I have seen many MMORPGs that have done that -- making things easier for newer player -- of course, older players complain! Hey - when i was leveling -- i never had that -- bla bla bla -- etc etc -- THAT IS OK. They get over it like someone pointed out earlier in the thread.

Giving new players more back pack slots will make things easier for them. The more they stay and like the game, the more they will spend, that's a guarantee. People who haven't donated are extremely important for the game. MMORPGs are based on social interactions -- more the merrier. A healthy economy is crucial to the game and you can only achieve that if you have many players.

I have recruited a few players from work in the last few months... none of them are active now. I had questions like " OMG i'm getting killed over and over" -- I looked at their computer screens and informed them, don't worry, it's just a GvG, it doesn't hurt you at all... soon after they slowly stopped playing. The lack of bagspace or the fact that the hunt got over so quickly was another issue --

Someone also pointed out they need to learn the mechanics of the games -- like buffs for example and how to use them. In the loyalty section, a few cheap potions were added --- maybe you should make it so that in the tutorial they need to pick up the potion and use it =---- this will allow them to see the benefit of the buffs like AL / Lib on them.

The early leveling needs to become easier -- older players will get over the fact that the newer players now get more to start off with. WHen the population of the game rises, everybody benefits.

In one of the popular mmorpgs, getting a mount at level 60 was hard work (I'm sure many know which game i'm talking about) --- when I started playing it, it cost me a lot to get a mount, hours of farming -- etc. Now, it's worth peanuts. People complained when they lowered the requirements -- but then they got over it. It's the way it is and should be.

Oh and also, banning people is probably a harsh punishment -- someone else also pointed it out earlier in the thread -- i think HCS should rethink that as well. Could there be other ways to punish a player? Temporary suspensions are good, all other MMORPGs do them -- when people love a game, a slap on the wrist wakes them up from going against the ToS of the game --- warnings -- then temp suspensions -- leading to longer temp suspensions ---- leading finally to banning.

Just wanted to give my opinion on this.

#32 Zukira

Zukira

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 16 May 2012 - 20:59

I think these may have gotten missed as I added them to a post after Hoof saw the bit about the tutorial. (note, I'm also editing this repost)

1. Remind players about the game every few months if they are inactive. Especially during special events they have access to. Include an opt out for the reminders.

2. Offer incentives to inactive players below certain levels to encourage them to engage again. "For a limited time, returning players below level x will receive such and such as a welcome back gift"

- any items would be bound,
- could be a temporary increase in full max stamina to encourage longer play to hook them.
- temporary pvp protection, or a free set of buffs cast (lib, al, flinch, dc)

3. Develop a faq/manual that can be viewed in game.

- explain key elements of the game.
- common abbreviations

4. A 'newbie guild' that people can contribute to, while remaining in their own guild.

5. A donations box (that might even lead to a medal)

- players can drop items in, which are then bound to the 'newbie box' so they can't be resold, after level x or a certain amount of inactivity they are recalled to the box.
- players can donate 'current stamina' with a donate buffs button.
- newbies are given the option to join the newbie guild or not
- new players are unable to stay in the newbie guild after a certain level.

6. Allow one free complete character reset per player. Limit to players who have never passed a certain level - lets say 100. Obtainable only via support. You would have to supply account validation information just like when you're notifying that more than one person plays in your household.

7. FS -lite: a 'playground' server (kinda like alpha) that players can try out things on without feeling that they are risking hard earned levels. This might encourage people to try PvP out, get a feel for it and then engage in it on FS prime.

zukira.gif

|| signature rotates, artists varied ||

Fan my art on Facebook  || Deviant Art || Chat on Irc

When in doubt, lean to the side of mercy.

- Cevantes

#33 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 16 May 2012 - 22:05

I think these may have gotten missed as I added them to a post after Hoof saw the bit about the tutorial. (note, I'm also editing this repost)

1. Remind players about the game every few months if they are inactive. Especially during special events they have access to. Include an opt out for the reminders.

2. Offer incentives to inactive players below certain levels to encourage them to engage again. "For a limited time, returning players below level x will receive such and such as a welcome back gift"

- any items would be bound,
- could be a temporary increase in full max stamina to encourage longer play to hook them.
- temporary pvp protection, or a free set of buffs cast (lib, al, flinch, dc)

3. Develop a faq/manual that can be viewed in game.

- explain key elements of the game.
- common abbreviations

4. A 'newbie guild' that people can contribute to, while remaining in their own guild.

5. A donations box (that might even lead to a medal)

- players can drop items in, which are then bound to the 'newbie box' so they can't be resold, after level x or a certain amount of inactivity they are recalled to the box.
- players can donate 'current stamina' with a donate buffs button.
- newbies are given the option to join the newbie guild or not
- new players are unable to stay in the newbie guild after a certain level.

6. Allow one free complete character reset per player. Limit to players who have never passed a certain level - lets say 100. Obtainable only via support. You would have to supply account validation information just like when you're notifying that more than one person plays in your household.

7. FS -lite: a 'playground' server (kinda like alpha) that players can try out things on without feeling that they are risking hard earned levels. This might encourage people to try PvP out, get a feel for it and then engage in it on FS prime.

I like all of those ideas :) - My only concern is that the cows don't really (and this is SO unfortunate) seem to care much these days. They may SAY they do, but ACTIONS speak so much louder than mere words.

The game needs new blood, it needs to be nurtured and encouraged to stick around and anything that can help with this is to be lauded, but, as I've posted in a different thread of mine, BG seems to be all in favour of some changes and then somewhere between him and hoof (or the other proggies), they seem to vanish into the ether.

There are SO many good ideas from players to develop / extend / protect the game they love, but for the most part, that's all they ever remain, IDEAS.

#34 Khanate

Khanate

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:14

Free stat and buff resets at level 100 are also sorely needed.

#35 MummRa

MummRa

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 13:14

I think the 1-Time only free player reset is a good idea. Let's be honest if you want to level in this game it's all about damage. Seen to many enthusiastic new people leave because no one told them that till they wasted to many points elsewhere and once they got to a certain level could not 1-hit anything

#36 fs_scrogger

fs_scrogger
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2012 - 13:20

I think the 1-Time only free player reset is a good idea. Let's be honest if you want to level in this game it's all about damage. Seen to many enthusiastic new people leave because no one told them that till they wasted to many points elsewhere and once they got to a certain level could not 1-hit anything

Although I agree with a 1 time free reset there are no levels up to where I have achieved that 1 hitting is a problem anymore, heck I never keep my kill streak anymore b/c DD is no longer important. The uber buffs and gear have eliminated that problem, which in of itself is a symptom of things being broken.

#37 morderme

morderme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 13:47

I agree as well...steady decline, especially more recently...under 600 players signed in today when I came on. Same time a year ago, at least 1000 players online.

There are innumerable (internal) FS forums about anything and everything going on about the game. There are the stodgy "old timers" who rip the idea machine. Think about it...if you stop in time, you don't move forward, you don't grow...change is inevitable, embrace it...this is a market based game, so take advantage of change!

There was a recent change in the game that added 2500 stam and 4 BPs for newbies -- the COWS gave out a BP to everyone as well as some reserve stam...did that really hurt anyone?

I like the newbie guild idea...safe starting place, but with limited advantages -- so that players will want to venture out after a time and join a player based guild. WoW, Drakensang, and I am sure other online games, have "safe havens", why not FS as well?

I think that the challenge to this game is the stamina. That is, it is driving force for revenue generation for the COWs. That's fine, but if it is hard to come by, and hard for players to complete hunts, quests, etc., then they are not going to stay with it and leave the game. Seems to me that with more players, perhaps the game's revenue can be generated by ads, instead of depending on players (many I have met cannot afford it or, are too young to pull out their credit card and enjoy the special offers).

More players, means more ads, means more advertising revenue for the Cows... So loosening up stamina gain and stamina acquisition should help reinvigorate the game...

Not a sermon, just a thought...while the game is still active, anyway...

#38 MummRa

MummRa

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 13:57

Although I agree with a 1 time free reset there are no levels up to where I have achieved that 1 hitting is a problem anymore, heck I never keep my kill streak anymore b/c DD is no longer important. The uber buffs and gear have eliminated that problem, which in of itself is a symptom of things being broken.

I don't know if this is your case but some of the players put points in HP defense and/or spread them out. For anything but leveling that may be fine ( admittedly I do not know) but for leveling at least for a stretch does make it a lot harder to 1 hit. Yes they are the uberbuffs but those can be expensive though thankfully ate getting cheaper

#39 fs_tremors

fs_tremors
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2012 - 17:13

The pvp structure of just being able to type a name and you can attack is imo ridiculous.There should be perhaps no restriction but a player has to at least hunt down players IN game not just a simple no brainer typo.

Bounties should also be removed if players are to actually hunt down their targets,which SHOULD be the case.

As is we see massive guild buffs so even a noob player using his guild can win at pvp even if he spends not a single dime on this game.This encourages ONLY large/established guilds.The purpose of any developer is to encourage NEW otherwise that game will suffer a slow death and never move upwards.
As of right now BOTH SS2 [near empty] and FS have very low pops,this is solely because of the game pvp structure,i guarantee it.

Also GUILD "upkeep" SHOULD be based on total players NOT a one set fee.Example if you have 20 players the upkeep SHOULD be a % of the total players,otherwise once again the game is NOT encouraging NEW,it is saying stay away unless you join an established guild.

#40 Snowy900

Snowy900

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 17:27

The pvp structure of just being able to type a name and you can attack is imo ridiculous.There should be perhaps no restriction but a player has to at least hunt down players IN game not just a simple no brainer typo.

Bounties should also be removed if players are to actually hunt down their targets,which SHOULD be the case.

As is we see massive guild buffs so even a noob player using his guild can win at pvp even if he spends not a single dime on this game.This encourages ONLY large/established guilds.The purpose of any developer is to encourage NEW otherwise that game will suffer a slow death and never move upwards.
As of right now BOTH SS2 [near empty] and FS have very low pops,this is solely because of the game pvp structure,i guarantee it.

Also GUILD "upkeep" SHOULD be based on total players NOT a one set fee.Example if you have 20 players the upkeep SHOULD be a % of the total players,otherwise once again the game is NOT encouraging NEW,it is saying stay away unless you join an established guild.

wow, for a player who has been playing this game for 2 days you seem to know a lot about its problems, and if it is solely because of the pvp structure why have so many pvpers left the game?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: