32 replies to this topic

#21 rowbeth

rowbeth

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 21:19

do a couple of the lvl 1000 quests you know where you had to go back and farm several elites to make the keys to move on that was a stam burner lol pain in the butt too but added depth

And do it in a Karthak fashion :shock: That questline was a royal pain in the eye of any beholder ever slain!

Thnx for the content BG, but... I do wonder whatever happened with an earlier statement about adding +10 lvls worth weekly, or at a min. every two weeks?
At the current rate, and with the more and more übered up pots, ppl are starting to stack up at EOC big time. Not sure if more regular content will solve this, but my guess is, it would decrease the amount of ppl just sitting around waiting up here. And yes, I do know there is more to do than lvl, but not everyone seems to get that, or care about it for that matter :wink:

Advancement blocking ideas:
- Defeat a "invented for the purpose, with no drop" titan X times to advance through the next locs.
- Defeat X amount of SEs to advance. Heck, make it X amount of 5 different ones.
- Win X amount of arenas to advance. (when are we getting 1200+ arenas btw?)
- 100 stam X amount of players (outta the ladder) to advance.
- Win X amount of bounties to advance.
- Stay as no. 1 on the ladder for X hours to advance.
- Slay Hooftest in normal PvP to advance.
- Partake in X amount of GvGs to advance.
- Toss X amount of buffs at your guildmates withing a set (short) timeframe to advance.

Make sure master realms have the same requirements so you cannot wait, and just portal right past the requirements :P

Now that, would be annoying implementations - but could maybe liven the EOC part of the game up a little?

The trouble with advancement-blocking ideas is that the only people who really need them are those at EOC. But once EOC moves to higher levels, the block remains to frustrate the large mass of players who still have many levels with which to burn their stam happily, and who see absolutely no reason for their advancement to be blocked.

Whatever is done has to remain fun for those who will encounter it when it is only mid-level

#22 KitiaraLi

KitiaraLi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:53

Hehe I was expecting alotta my fans to jump outta the woodwork on this thread :mrgreen: and it was my intention.

I am not a believer in forcing my way of gameplay down the throat of the next player, but I am also not a believer in things staying the same; Especially not when ppl complain, whine and leave the game over things being just that.

Remember when we were all asking for the hunting aspect to be harder? Only thing ppl could agree upon, was making the critters harder to kill, and when HCS did just that, ppl immediately started complaining about not being able to 1hit anymore :roll: Apparently what ppl asked for, was for hunting to be a challenge on paper, so they could feel better after plowing through it. I should add, at this point I made 2 different setups for hunting, both 1hitters - now, I am back to only 1 setup which I slap on, and then I plow :?

I am fully aware this is how it has been for a long time, and I am also fully aware there are ppl at EOC, who still really have no clue about game mechanics outside of leveling, hence I suggested getting the other aspects of the game mixed into leveling. Not only to make leveling harder, and slow it down - but to give ppl a taste of the entire game, if they haven't already had it.

I can see on the replies, that some almost cry over the idea of having to actually partake in other aspects, but I also see alotta good commentary in there.

Combine the idea of advancement blockers with the idea of having multiple choice in questlines... so those who despise titan hunting, can chose another path. Those who adore PvP can chose that, etc etc. The locs can be the same, so can the critters in 'em - but the questlines will be different, depending on your preferred part of the game outside leveling AND the quest rewards shall be different as well. Make the rewards better and in return skip the XP reward for completing 'em ;-)
Heck, maybe open up for players to do all questlines (one at a time), if they care - just remove the XP reward!

No one can deny that we changed this game and influenced it in such a way that NO ONE could compete with us.. so much so that they changed the rules. ~Abhorrence, chosen founder of Cerulean Sins

#23 KitiaraLi

KitiaraLi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:59

The trouble with advancement-blocking ideas is that the only people who really need them are those at EOC. But once EOC moves to higher levels, the block remains to frustrate the large mass of players who still have many levels with which to burn their stam happily, and who see absolutely no reason for their advancement to be blocked.

Whatever is done has to remain fun for those who will encounter it when it is only mid-level

The idea is not to have a cheap fix with a blocker here and now, to avoid further EOC build up atm. The idea is to make leveling more challenging on a permanent basis. Make EOC harder to achieve, gives a little bragging right to it, make the game interesting for those who never did anything but hunt... add some flavor to the game 8)

No one can deny that we changed this game and influenced it in such a way that NO ONE could compete with us.. so much so that they changed the rules. ~Abhorrence, chosen founder of Cerulean Sins

#24 Davros81

Davros81

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:54

Levelling will always be easy so long as XP events occur. Very few of the quest lines are mandatory and that is where the ideas that HCS have come up with to slow people down have fallen flat, such as Karthak. I did karthak in, essentially, a day slugging through it without having to do the quest line. Some simple research showed me that I could negate the quests and still progress through the maps. If you look at the vast majority of other MMORPG's the quests are required to progress to new areas in order to further the development of your character.

I am not saying all quests should be mandatory as that would surely annoy a lot of people, but maybe just one quest in the new content, which allows access to the new realms. There are plenty who do not do the quests, and I understand perfectly why they do not, the rewards are simply not worth the effort in most cases, you get a unique item which is useless and a small amount of xp. You could make the rewards from a string of quests into a set, very much like the Hermit set, which i still use and love today.

Just a suggestion, spitballing or mind mapping an idea.

#25 T1GER69

T1GER69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:53

do a couple of the lvl 1000 quests you know where you had to go back and farm several elites to make the keys to move on that was a stam burner lol pain in the butt too but added depth

And do it in a Karthak fashion :shock: That questline was a royal pain in the eye of any beholder ever slain!

Thnx for the content BG, but... I do wonder whatever happened with an earlier statement about adding +10 lvls worth weekly, or at a min. every two weeks?
At the current rate, and with the more and more übered up pots, ppl are starting to stack up at EOC big time. Not sure if more regular content will solve this, but my guess is, it would decrease the amount of ppl just sitting around waiting up here. And yes, I do know there is more to do than lvl, but not everyone seems to get that, or care about it for that matter :wink:

Advancement blocking ideas:
- Defeat a "invented for the purpose, with no drop" titan X times to advance through the next locs.
- Defeat X amount of SEs to advance. Heck, make it X amount of 5 different ones.
- Win X amount of arenas to advance. (when are we getting 1200+ arenas btw?)
- 100 stam X amount of players (outta the ladder) to advance.
- Win X amount of bounties to advance.
- Stay as no. 1 on the ladder for X hours to advance.
- Slay Hooftest in normal PvP to advance.
- Partake in X amount of GvGs to advance.
- Toss X amount of buffs at your guildmates withing a set (short) timeframe to advance.

Make sure master realms have the same requirements so you cannot wait, and just portal right past the requirements :P

Now that, would be annoying implementations - but could maybe liven the EOC part of the game up a little?

I do not agree with this as for me personally i would most probably leave this game sooner rather than later as i have Alzheimer's disease and this game is what i can manage at the moment making it harder would not be very friendly for me i am afraid.

#26 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,837 posts
  • Badge

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:14

I did karthak in, essentially, a day slugging through it without having to do the quest line. Some simple research showed me that I could negate the quests and still progress through the maps.

Karthak was purposefully designed to allow you to simply level through. The Quests are there to provide story and reward you with the ability to hunt both the Legendary Creature and Super Elite.

We purposefully don't bar the way for content with quests. Any time we have, we've received complaints.

#27 KitiaraLi

KitiaraLi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:17

We purposefully don't bar the way for content with quests. Any time we have, we've received complaints.

Doesn't mean you cannot explore the way you do questlines, and/or what these awards :mrgreen:

No-one says the quests cannot have any requirements involving other aspects apart from killing normal critters, get quest items, or inventing stuff... or?

#28 Shadow19231

Shadow19231

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:46

and just like that now we have players already 20 levels over the content

#29 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,837 posts
  • Badge

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:54

It's to be expected. The race to 1,500.

#30 Shadow19231

Shadow19231

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:03

It's to be expected. The race to 1,500.

oh yeah, and i didn't mean that in a negative way at all :P

#31 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,837 posts
  • Badge

Posted 14 August 2012 - 13:02

S'all good Dude. :wink:

#32 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 18:45

Combine the idea of advancement blockers with the idea of having multiple choice in questlines... so those who despise titan hunting, can chose another path. Those who adore PvP can chose that, etc etc. The locs can be the same, so can the critters in 'em - but the questlines will be different, depending on your preferred part of the game outside leveling AND the quest rewards shall be different as well. Make the rewards better and in return skip the XP reward for completing 'em ;-)
Heck, maybe open up for players to do all questlines (one at a time), if they care - just remove the XP reward!

Came back today as I'm burning some time and REALLY like that idea. I mean "really, really".

Multiple choices for quest rewards... maybe even say.... multiple prizes to choose from. People could choose a quest path and a prize. If there are 5 quest prizes and 5 game options for completing them then people could pick and choose what they would like to do. Do option 2 and choose prize D. Both the option and prize disappear, leaving 4 options and 4 prizes, for example.

Us quest hounds might enjoy that and it might also get some people to try out some other stuff.

And hey... I remember being at a "low" level and doing a quest that involved PvP... does that still exist? lol... I kind of wish I could go back and do it again. Oops, sorry... off topic. ,oP

#33 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 22:42

Came back today as I'm burning some time and REALLY like that idea. I mean "really, really".

Multiple choices for quest rewards... maybe even say.... multiple prizes to choose from. People could choose a quest path and a prize. If there are 5 quest prizes and 5 game options for completing them then people could pick and choose what they would like to do. Do option 2 and choose prize D. Both the option and prize disappear, leaving 4 options and 4 prizes, for example.

Us quest hounds might enjoy that and it might also get some people to try out some other stuff.

And hey... I remember being at a "low" level and doing a quest that involved PvP... does that still exist? lol... I kind of wish I could go back and do it again. Oops, sorry... off topic. ,oP

Sadly No when the ladder was introduced the pvp requirement for those quests was also removed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: