89 replies to this topic

#21 yotekiller

yotekiller

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:31

So what happens if the 25% rule is removed and at some point down the road the arena is updated again to make prizes more valuable?  The previous abuse will return and people will be crying that we should have a 25% rule in place.  Better to just leave the rule in place and focus on making the arena a more competitive area of the game.

Screenshot everything!

#22 hades8840

hades8840

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:51

So what happens if the 25% rule is removed and at some point down the road the arena is updated again to make prizes more valuable?  The previous abuse will return and people will be crying that we should have a 25% rule in place.  Better to just leave the rule in place and focus on making the arena a more competitive area of the game.

I did laugh at this not that you said anything wrong just about it being updated. that is possible but we are talking cow time here so its possible time travel will have been invented by the time that update is done

#23 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 13:50

What if? What if? What if the world blew up? What if? Does that mean because the world is eventually going to blow up we should just go with anarchy. Its inevitable anyway right so whats the point in doing anything inbetween.

Edited by Intimidation, 15 February 2015 - 14:01.

#24 Leos3000

Leos3000

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 14:30

I completely agree that limiting the guild to 25% should be changed, but I also agree that 1 guild should not be able to control an entire tournament.

I would suggest just raising the cap to 50% allows more participation while still having a safety in place to slow or discourage cheating

#25 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 17:00

I completely agree that limiting the guild to 25% should be changed, but I also agree that 1 guild should not be able to control an entire tournament.

I would suggest just raising the cap to 50% allows more participation while still having a safety in place to slow or discourage cheating

Good idea +1

#26 yodamus

yodamus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 17:11

thousands of tokens in players arena storage...nothing they can put out will revive arena again...we need players...not things that keep players from joining..plain and simple..arena will no longer ever have something valuable to win...took way to long to get new arena prizes..every arena player that play a lot can buy tons of whatever they may eventually ( been 3 years since new arena prizes)...put out to buy...tokens are like tickets in a kiddie arcade..used for plastic toys....we need players...whatever can be done to increase players needs to be done..and more tourneys...2700 levels for 60 tourneys...very bad

#27 yotekiller

yotekiller

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 19:39

thousands of tokens in players arena storage...nothing they can put out will revive arena again...we need players...not things that keep players from joining..plain and simple..arena will no longer ever have something valuable to win...took way to long to get new arena prizes..every arena player that play a lot can buy tons of whatever they may eventually ( been 3 years since new arena prizes)...put out to buy...tokens are like tickets in a kiddie arcade..used for plastic toys....we need players...whatever can be done to increase players needs to be done..and more tourneys...2700 levels for 60 tourneys...very bad

Perhaps the real problem with the arena then is not the prizes but the lack of interest from the majority of players.  I don't play the arena because I don't have the time and money to be competitive, regardless of the rewards.  There are definitely some players who are arena pro's if you will and they dominate that area of the game.  I won just enough arenas to get my bronze medal but I couldn't afford to keep pouring a bunch of money into something with little to no return.  Yes that's a reward value problem but it's also a lot more complicated.  Are entry fees too high, especially given the value of the rewards?  Possibly.  Should the moves and how the tourneys are carried out be re-worked to even out the playing field a bit?  Possibly.  My point is that the arena needs something to make the everyday player feel like they can at least have a shot at winning something and get some measure of entertainment value.  Otherwise, they just won't bother to enter which is what we are seeing now.  There are no clearcut answers to this problem and the solution won't be quick or easy.  Whether or not the 25% rule is in place will not make or break the arena because it's problems are much bigger than how many people from one guild can join any given tourney.

Screenshot everything!

#28 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 15 February 2015 - 19:57

The man speaks wisdom there....

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#29 yodamus

yodamus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 23:49

Perhaps the real problem with the arena then is not the prizes but the lack of interest from the majority of players.  I don't play the arena because I don't have the time and money to be competitive, regardless of the rewards.  There are definitely some players who are arena pro's if you will and they dominate that area of the game.  I won just enough arenas to get my bronze medal but I couldn't afford to keep pouring a bunch of money into something with little to no return.  Yes that's a reward value problem but it's also a lot more complicated.  Are entry fees too high, especially given the value of the rewards?  Possibly.  Should the moves and how the tourneys are carried out be re-worked to even out the playing field a bit?  Possibly.  My point is that the arena needs something to make the everyday player feel like they can at least have a shot at winning something and get some measure of entertainment value.  Otherwise, they just won't bother to enter which is what we are seeing now.  There are no clearcut answers to this problem and the solution won't be quick or easy.  Whether or not the 25% rule is in place will not make or break the arena because it's problems are much bigger than how many people from one guild can join any given tourney.

i do actually agree with what you are saying..what can the cows do to generate participation...not sure myself..but i do know that if there is very little to nothing to join when someone checks in on arena...they are probably not going to check again..especially those in the level 50-200 range..it would take a new person over a year just to enter enough tourney to get a bronze medal and they would have to win every single one of them..and we all know that is not happening...hard to win...even harder to win when there is very little to join..

#30 robinbanks

robinbanks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 00:31

i  have played the  the arena a few times and am getting set up to do it again.. on a regular basis..

i really thing the 25% rule should stay in place. So please keep it the way it is!

#31 mary4ever

mary4ever

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:42

IMO the 25% rule should stay (read the other many arena threads for the reason HCS made it !!!)

me and many witnessed that when HCS introduced NEW prices (=arena tokens) that the tournaments were filling up like crazy, especially in the first week !!!!

I even saw some tournaments filling up in ~1 minute !!!

the reason was the introduction of NEW prices (= arena tokens) => huge PROFIT to be made !!!

remember when you could get with ONE single tournament ~90 arena tokens with ~40k gold and buy with the reward 9 x BM300 or 9 x LF600 pots???? with 40k gold you could have made a profit of 45 FSPs (9 pots x 5 FSPs) !!!

many of my friends participated and even though they lost many times they still made profit and that is why the tournaments kept filling up so quickly !!!

after the token prices in the arena token shop were increased (BM300 / LF600 for 100 tokens instead of 10 tokens) the arena player participation significantly decreased !!!

again, the 25% rule should stay (read the other many arena threads for the reason HCS made it !!!)

Edited by mary4ever, 16 February 2015 - 02:43.

3 players on iggy (1 troll & 2 players whose posts never make any sense)

#32 Nagoyaka

Nagoyaka

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:33

We read the reasons, and don't think the reasons are valid today. A good idea was the suggestion Leos made about increasing 25% to 50% from a guild can participate. 25% from a 8 player tournament is only 2 players from a guild. For guilds with 124 members, I don't find that fair.

And don't say greedy much, I think small guilds should have no advantages over a bigger guild at all in any aspects.

Edited by Nagoyaka, 16 February 2015 - 09:39.

#33 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:39

We read the reasons, and don't think the reasons are valid today. A good idea was the suggestion Leos made about increasing 25% to 50% from a guild can participate. 25% from a 8 player tournament is only 2 players from a guild. For guilds with 124 members, I don't find that fair.

There are copious benefits to being in a big guild. There should be some negatives too - and this is one.

I vote to maintain the 25% rule ..

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#34 Nagoyaka

Nagoyaka

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:46

repeated stuff

Have you played arena in the past? If you had experience with it, you would know that the 25% rule has excisted long before the arena tokens was implemented.

#35 Nagoyaka

Nagoyaka

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:48

There are copious benefits to being in a big guild. There should be some negatives too - and this is one.

I vote to maintain the 25% rule ..

Is this a rule made to give big guilds a disadvantage? I don't think that was the reason behind it, no. Why should I for being in a big guild be punished by playing less arena or other aspects?

I think small guilds should have no advantages over a bigger guild at all in any aspects. Big guilds worked hard to become where they are, a small guild anyone can make.

Edited by Nagoyaka, 16 February 2015 - 09:53.

#36 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:53

Is this a rule made to give big guilds a disadvantage? I don't think that was the reason behind it, no.

I didn't say that ... what I said was, not everything about being in a big/massive guild should be a positive.

I'm sure the rule was initially implemented to stop guilds "rigging" arenas - and I see no reason to change that. Prizes in the arena have devalued since the introduction of tokens but that doesn't negate the reasoning behind prevention of rigging.

I'm sure demand for the arena will escalate again as and when new items are added - and seeing a guild (any guild) being able to fill 50% of the slots goes a long way towards "rigging" it.

Bottom line, players can ask for A, B, C and D from the cows - and argue the pros and cons back and forth - but only the cows can decide if something is going to implemented or not (and if it is, if it gets revoked again)

Edited by Pardoux, 16 February 2015 - 09:55.

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#37 MrSiggs

MrSiggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 13:20

I have to say it should stay at 25%..there will be new items added eventually..and that would cause the same problems as before if this is raised..seems like most posts are by one guild..and multiple posts by a few players..so it seems like they just want to dominate the arena as well....so BigGrim .please keep it as it is ...otherwise it will be exploited just like gxp has ..and any other aspect of the game..same with titan hunting..if it weren't for the cooldown..many guilds wouldn't have the opportunity to even compete with large guilds

#38 Leos3000

Leos3000

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 14:07

I think people are being ignorant to how the arena used to work...

If upping the participation rate to 50% will increase the activity some, do it!! There are 2 reasons I am put off from the arena.

1. How long it takes before something starts.
2. Actually trying to enter and guild mates have already blocked me out.

There is no reason not to increase guild rates with the new token system... every item is always available to everyone. Arena is a constant sink, so even if you did try to rig something your losing more than your ever gaining...

#39 MrSiggs

MrSiggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 14:17

and when new items are added ?? then what ?? best left as is..it was changed for a reason !

#40 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 16 February 2015 - 14:23

MS, with the token system in place, the cap is really obsolete.  It's not like the old days where the gold prizes or what have you could be dominated by the right guild.  With us being able to choose our prizes at our leisure, and with activity so low, more competition is needed, if nothing else to keep the arena moving so new tourneys can spawn.  As it is now, it's stagnated, and I really don't know how serious arena players can tolerate that.  

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: