52 replies to this topic

#21 Bildor

Bildor

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 13 October 2012 - 13:48

Changing the stat variance making you check creature stats before each kill will trade just change one tedium for another. Why not just mix up the creature stats so you have to think more what setup to use. Once you've figured it out, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,0 is the same. I think this is a fair compromise. It makes the game more interesting, but won't make leveling drag on forever.

#22 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:20

Hcs Mixed up the critter stats plenty in the 1100's all that resulted in was a load of complaints at the time..and ultimately gave rise to the formula that applies from 1221 onwards regarding xp per critter.

If it makes YOU check critter stats before every kill then either your set is not very well designed or you do not have the right buffs on.

#23 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 October 2012 - 19:14

Hcs Mixed up the critter stats plenty in the 1100's all that resulted in was a load of complaints at the time..and ultimately gave rise to the formula that applies from 1221 onwards regarding xp per critter.

Those two things had little to do with each other.

Around level 1100 some players stood up and asked for tougher to kill creatures and wanted the creatures to have somewhat more extreme stats (such as some creatures with high attack, others with high defense, some with high armor or HP and others with high damage). HCS might have misunderstood it and gave us mainly creatures with more HP (around 50% extra HP) at level 1101+. There were many complaints that more HP was not what was meant by more tougher and interesting creatures. From level 1221 onward HCS released creatures with more diverse stats (they were either high attack, defense, armor or damage) which was well received by the community.

Around the time level 1200 was EoC there was discussion about the XP per level formula and the XP per creature formula. They were causing problems in the stamina cost for the higher levels, and it resulted in HCS changing the XP per creature formula from level 1221 onward.

Gathering  Crystal Cutting 49 | Farming 49 | Fishing 49 | Foraging 49 | Forestry 49 | Prospecting 49 | Skinning 49
Crafting  Alchemy 49 | Armorsmithing 49 | Cooking 49 | Jewelry 49 | Leatherworking 49 | Tailoring 49 | Weaponsmithing 49
First person to have maxed them cool.png

Characters (all level 49)
Prophet    
Savanc       Savavita              Savavimala               Mage          Savanhildur    Savashengli    Savahathor
Warrior  
Savy           Savanikomachos   Savafionnchadh       Assassin   Savalina         Savajahangir
Ranger      Savakainda  Savatakoda         Savaraxka               Templar   Savastanislav  Savasegolene

#24 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 22:38

Those two things had little to do with each other.

Around level 1100 some players stood up and asked for tougher to kill creatures and wanted the creatures to have somewhat more extreme stats (such as some creatures with high attack, others with high defense, some with high armor or HP and others with high damage). HCS might have misunderstood it and gave us mainly creatures with more HP (around 50% extra HP) at level 1101+. There were many complaints that more HP was not what was meant by more tougher and interesting creatures. From level 1221 onward HCS released creatures with more diverse stats (they were either high attack, defense, armor or damage) which was well received by the community.

Around the time level 1200 was EoC there was discussion about the XP per level formula and the XP per creature formula. They were causing problems in the stamina cost for the higher levels, and it resulted in HCS changing the XP per creature formula from level 1221 onward.

Not true actually, players complained all the way through the 1100's about the stam used per level ,as it was frequently over 5500.Before the new wither 450 pot was added.
That led to fewer and fewer players at eoc at one stage there were 2 or 3 if I recall right v 100 plus now.
Hcs did an update at 1221 that gave more xp per critter and also balanced out the stats so from that point onwards players would use the same stamina per level as long as they one hit.

#25 mitgsx

mitgsx

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 23:29

Sorry Zizz, I have to agree with Sav on his recollection on mob stat change and the xp change.

I will say that I will not look at each mob's stats in order to check to see if current gear is correct.

I don't know if anyone else likes to 1-hit, but right now with Zizz's per-posed changes, I have a feeling arterial might get used more? :cry:

A chance in killing mobs for the XP, I don't know if I am ready yet..................

Thought chance was left to PvP only 8)

#26 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:52

Sorry Zizz, I have to agree with Sav on his recollection on mob stat change and the xp change.

I will say that I will not look at each mob's stats in order to check to see if current gear is correct.

I don't know if anyone else likes to 1-hit, but right now with Zizz's per-posed changes, I have a feeling arterial might get used more? :cry:

A chance in killing mobs for the XP, I don't know if I am ready yet..................

So your admitting you cant design a hunt set on the go then are you ?
Why would you need arterial for ?
Doing so would be a reflection of your inability to design setups and buffs to win with.

#27 Bleltch

Bleltch

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 13:34

This sounds like a horrible idea. :( It took me over 2 hours to burn through 46k stam yesterday. If i had to check every critter before i swung it would have taken probably 4 times longer? Come up with an idea that makes leveling fun and i'll support it. We already have boring and time consuming to trudge though. No need to make it worse. :(

#28 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 23:48

This sounds like a horrible idea. :( It took me over 2 hours to burn through 46k stam yesterday. If i had to check every critter before i swung it would have taken probably 4 times longer? Come up with an idea that makes leveling fun and i'll support it. We already have boring and time consuming to trudge though. No need to make it worse. :(

that is a reflection on you not the game if it takes you over 2 hours to burn through 46 k stam.
where I live is almost exactly half way around the world from the servers yet I have no issues burning stamina.

#29 kalish

kalish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:04

I think my suggestion in the second post here:
http://forum.fallens...hp?f=1&t=107774
would help with this problem. The Cows could release new "shadow" (or whatever) creatures alongside the old ones with very different stats and that give more XP. This would let people decide which set of creatures to hunt, while giving a reward to those willing to take the time to get the right setups and buffs to kill the more difficult "shadow" creatures.

Also, if you have to check every critter before you attack it, I would like to see a much higher-level Doubler potion available. I don't see why Doubler 5000 shouldn't exist, and for relatively cheap too. Why force people to spend longer to level than they have to?

I also think that Global Booster should be available up to at least level 1200. That's a different thread, though...

#30 DeadParrot

DeadParrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Badge

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:27

Fallensword, unlike most other MMO's, uses a MUD style system and thus combat is purely "theoretical" and turn-based, not realtime and with no creature to virtually stand in front of (to flank, glancing blow, ranged attack, or cast a spell). All the FS system does is "says" combat is conducted in a specific manner.

Long story short - you WON'T be able to solve the hum-drum 12345678 (more like 123 now) hunting method, it's implicit. If comparing numbers makes hunting fun, please disregard this post.

A solution: Waaaaaaait, for Eldevin
Swearing, even starred out, is not acceptable on the forums. Cheers!

#31 Wesleysdf

Wesleysdf

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:29

Fallensword, unlike most other MMO's, uses a MUD style system and thus combat is purely "theoretical" and turn-based, not realtime and with no creature to virtually stand in front of (to flank, glancing blow, ranged attack, or cast a spell). All the FS system does is "says" combat is conducted in a specific manner.

Long story short - you WON'T be able to solve the hum-drum 12345678 (more like 123 now) hunting method, it's implicit. If comparing numbers makes hunting fun, please disregard this post.

I kinda agree with this. But wait for another game ins't the solution :wink:

#32 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,818 posts
  • Badge

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:35

I don't see why Doubler 5000 shouldn't exist, and for relatively cheap too.

So to allow a few players to level up super fast, we should damage, if not outright destroy, the Doubler economy? No. Doubler 1,500 will be enough I think.

I also think that Global Booster should be available up to at least level 1200.

No way. The Global Events are for everyone to partake in, not only for those with massive stamina banks to utterly dominate everyone else. For now and the foreseeable future, Global Booster will stay at low levels. Remember, the Global Booster was introduced to encourage players with loads of stam to help. Not so that they could beat everyone else.

#33 Werd64

Werd64

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:48

Considering that only a small portion of the game actually posts/checks the forums, I have a feeling a lot of players would be against this.

2qvub8W.png

#34 kalish

kalish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:26

I don't see why Doubler 5000 shouldn't exist, and for relatively cheap too.

So to allow a few players to level up super fast, we should damage, if not outright destroy, the Doubler economy? No. Doubler 1,500 will be enough I think.

Perhaps Doubler 3000 as a loyalty pot costing 250 tokens? I just don't see the gain in forcing high max-stam players to potentially spend lots and lots of time on each hunt. If you can 1-hit a creature, why make people do it 500 times instead of 100?

Good point on the economy, though. This is why you're part of the development team and I'm not!

I also think that Global Booster should be available up to at least level 1200.

No way. The Global Events are for everyone to partake in, not only for those with massive stamina banks to utterly dominate everyone else. For now and the foreseeable future, Global Booster will stay at low levels. Remember, the Global Booster was introduced to encourage players with loads of stam to help. Not so that they could beat everyone else.

People with massive stam banks have the ability to dominate everyone else anyway, and it has always been that way. I thought a higher level Global Booster would get people to burn more stam; if it takes 1 hour to get to 4000 kills, there might be some players who wouldn't be willing to spend 8 hours doing 32000 kills, but would be willing to spend 1.5 hours for the same 32000 kills. That is, if a player's decision on how much to help with the global event is based as much on time as stam, you're losing a potential stam sink by only offering Global Booster up to level 150.

If high max-stam banks are such a problem, you could institute three tiers in the competition for each global event: 500-5000 max stam, 5101-20000 max stam, and 20000+ max stam. Of course, the number of tiers and their limits can be changed to anything deemed appropriate. Then the high max-stam players could go all out without hurting the results of the others.

#35 mitgsx

mitgsx

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:34

Doing so would be a reflection of your inability to design setups and buffs to win with.

I will agree on the change in mob stats, But no to the degree of having to check each mob due to the variation. Variation per level is fine, variation per mob, no from me. I mentioned arterial strike due to not checking a mobs stats (per your original posting) and multi hitting a mob. That's not fun for anyone. Setups are not hard to design, and buffs are easy to come by, but exclusive potions might be a must.

There is a difference in hunting with 20k stam and 2X, 3X, 10X that. Time and potions/buffs work against you.

I am sure you know what happens when KE 230 drops off.

#36 Zordor

Zordor

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Badge

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:13

I will agree on the change in mob stats, But no to the degree of having to check each mob due to the variation. Variation per level is fine, variation per mob, no from me. I mentioned arterial strike due to not checking a mobs stats (per your original posting) and multi hitting a mob. That's not fun for anyone. Setups are not hard to design, and buffs are easy to come by, but exclusive potions might be a must.

There is a difference in hunting with 20k stam and 2X, 3X, 10X that. Time and potions/buffs work against you.

I am sure you know what happens when KE 230 drops off.

I don't understand your argument...

If the mobs stats can vary wildly, why not just make a setup to beat the max stats it can get? If the mob has high defense, just counter with high attack, and sacrifice some damage. You might be 2 hitting, but it's still possible.

Why does this mean you'd have to check the stats of EVERY mob?

#37 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge
  • Netherlands

Posted 18 October 2012 - 13:44

I don't understand your argument...

If the mobs stats can vary wildly, why not just make a setup to beat the max stats it can get? If the mob has high defense, just counter with high attack, and sacrifice some damage. You might be 2 hitting, but it's still possible.

Why does this mean you'd have to check the stats of EVERY mob?

If the creature has a high variance itself then some creatures will have low attack, high defense, high armor and low damage while other creatures (the same name, map and level though) have high attack, low defense, low armor and high damage.

When hunting people want to be as efficient as possible so 1-hitting is highly desired. If creatures with the same name, map and level can have high stats in any stat then you'd need a setup with high stats in basically everything to beat it. It's quite difficult/expensive (sometimes impossible without the use of uber pots) to design a setup that has both (1) high enough attack (zizzwyly's example had a creature with 77k defense) and (2) high enough damage to get through the armor (which can be a high value within its variance) and also taking all the HP.

If such a setup can't be found or will cost too much then, in order to stay hunting fairly efficient (stam-XP-wise), people will have to look at every single creature they find and gear up according to the stats that single creature has. So if you find a stack with 4 creatures and one has high defense, two have high armor and one has high attack then it might take multiple setups to 1-hit them all.

This way hunting will either:
[*:mb4qgo7m]take longer (if people decide to change setups multiple times on the same square),
[*:mb4qgo7m]become more expensive (if people decide to avoid having to change setups by using uber pots), or
[*:mb4qgo7m]become less efficient (if people decide changing setups and using uber pots isn't worth it and thus 2-hit a lot).
Number 1 will make hunting more tedious.
Number 2 and 3 will create a wider gap between rich and poorer hunters.
None of the results sound appealing to me. :?

Gathering  Crystal Cutting 49 | Farming 49 | Fishing 49 | Foraging 49 | Forestry 49 | Prospecting 49 | Skinning 49
Crafting  Alchemy 49 | Armorsmithing 49 | Cooking 49 | Jewelry 49 | Leatherworking 49 | Tailoring 49 | Weaponsmithing 49
First person to have maxed them cool.png

Characters (all level 49)
Prophet    
Savanc       Savavita              Savavimala               Mage          Savanhildur    Savashengli    Savahathor
Warrior  
Savy           Savanikomachos   Savafionnchadh       Assassin   Savalina         Savajahangir
Ranger      Savakainda  Savatakoda         Savaraxka               Templar   Savastanislav  Savasegolene

#38 shindrak

shindrak

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 14:06

So after you make setup can kill any creature with 2 hits will that make it a challenge ?

I don't see the point yet when players say they need more challenging creatures. 1 hit or 2 or 3.. still same routine...

As Savanc said its just going to be more costly or waste of time from changing setup for every creature...
If HCs wanted to do it they should do it only on new contents from now and up.

#39 Neomaxiums

Neomaxiums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 18 October 2012 - 18:13

My question is how come there are those that make EOC or near it and feel it was to easy so now they want it to be harder for everyone else under?

Why not add these varying stats to any NEW critters that come out be it 1500+ or new lower lvl SE or LE. IMO I don't see how it can be considered fair for someone at EOC to call for all the lower lvl mobs to be changed AFTER they hunted all the way through them.

#40 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 18:38

My question is how come there are those that make EOC or near it and feel it was to easy so now they want it to be harder for everyone else under?

Why not add these varying stats to any NEW critters that come out be it 1500+ or new lower lvl SE or LE. IMO I don't see how it can be considered fair for someone at EOC to call for all the lower lvl mobs to be changed AFTER they hunted all the way through them.

Agreed. And a sentiment I have alluded to in a earlier post in this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: