Photo

Fallen Sword Chat

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

Poll: Is this something you would like to see added to the game? (218 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this something you would like to see added to the game?

1. Voted Yes (166 votes [76.15%])

Percentage of vote: 76.15%

2. Voted No (52 votes [23.85%])

Percentage of vote: 23.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Saxon

Saxon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 19:59

SigmaStorm2 incoporated this and it was good for a bit and the everyone turned it off in preferences eventually.

It cost 1 energy (stamina) in SS2 to post a message.

Creating this looses an FSP sink for you HCS, are you sure its a good idea?

#42 whobob

whobob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:00

I really do think 1 global public chat is a recipe for disasters. Yes I meant it to be plural. Scammers, Beggars, Offensive nature of comments, Offensive Language. The list will go on.

Private chat rooms that can go beyond a specific guild? definetly.

Monthly in-game chats to discuss game direction? Heavily moderated but definetly.

Public chat rooms that can be joined? Yes if you dont like a specific room try another. This will also be good for people who speak another language

1 singular worldwide chat is asking for trouble

I wholeheartedly agree with all of THIS ^

Monthly in-game chats... or dedicated and heavily moderated chats linked to the ever popular Global Events might be a great way to start.

I've seen chatrooms on a much smaller scale with far fewer players turn majorly ugly. The potential for great fun is there.... the potential for even greater disaster is also.

And yes, I also would want a way to disable such a thing, especially if it slowed stuff down. Then I'd have NO use for it.

CHEERS

#43 fortville

fortville

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:01

I think the Map mayn't be the right place

A separate page for the chat room would be great :)

Public & private chat rooms need to be made available for all sorts of conversation

+1 on this. If/when I want to participate I can by going to a designated page/link but otherwise I don't want to be distracted by a bunch of meaningless dribble while I'm trying to focus on something else.

Definitely a separate page! The world screen already severely taxes my CPU. Also anything short of a full page to display messages in will just be impossible to follow. If there are say 20+ people all posting at the same time the text is going to scroll off the page faster than you can possibly read it or follow.

Posted Image

#44 RebornJedi

RebornJedi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:02

But could create a gold sink instead ;) which is good for the game..don't think HCS should worry about their pocket during these dark, dark days lol :lol:

think it should cost 10k+ gold to send a message, nothing less than 10k..with the mentor/newbie system, we shouldn't have to worry about new players trying to contact/communicate with the community.

#45 Necra

Necra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:04

would be awesome to have a guild feature ability to have different chat rooms for guild allies

#46 fortville

fortville

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:04

I myself would not bother to post recruiting, buffs for sale, ect messages here because they would get lost too fast. I would still use the FSBox.

Posted Image

#47 Saxon

Saxon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:06

But could create a gold sink instead ;) which is good for the game..don't think HCS should worry about their pocket during these dark, dark days lol :lol:

think it should cost 10k+ gold to send a message, nothing less than 10k..with the mentor/newbie system, we shouldn't have to worry about new players trying to contact/communicate with the community.

10k gold for 1 message LOL

Thats certainly a great gold sink for chatty players

#48 cramble27

cramble27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:13

don't think it should be on the Map page, but where/how it is with ss2's global chat..give the ability to disable and position it. also let me choose how many lines i want to see as a whole.

as said earlier in this thread, i don't want this chat to ruin the map's performance. the new map already takes up a lot of the cpu's usage.

Please, not on the Map page, unless you can make the map not use so much computer resources. The map is already taxing my computer enough, adding more to it can not be a good idea.

But chat is a good idea :)

#49 RebornJedi

RebornJedi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:14

10k gold for 1 message LOL

Thats certainly a great gold sink for chatty players

i get about 275 gold per kill without the gold boofs..gold gain from creatures is locked at around level 300 right?...swing a couple handful of times at creatures around your level, sell a buff, farm a resource to sell, etc..gets those chatty kathys out in the world to supply their talkative addictions lol

i'd rather see a gold cost than a stamina cost for sending messages.

#50 Zukira

Zukira

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • Badge

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:15

not on the world map please.

zukira.gif

|| signature rotates, artists varied ||

Fan my art on Facebook  || Deviant Art || Chat on Irc

When in doubt, lean to the side of mercy.

- Cevantes

#51 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:16

Hi all,

We're just looking for your thoughts on us adding chat to the game. The idea would be to have it under the map and allow you to talk to all other online players. We could also do cool things like highlight chat messages from other players in your guild.

So basically, is this something you would like to see added to the game?

In a word, NO.

This was tried out in SS2 and, as others have stated, within short order, a LOT of people had turned it off because of begging, spamming, profanity and any other kind of abuse of the system you could mention. For any realtime chat to work successfully, it needs to have realtime moderation ...

If you are intent on implementing this, then PLEASE, make it a seperate "room" if you will, and NOT on the main map.

#52 chasblade

chasblade

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:22

As has been said, not on the main map, I go there to hunt not to chat. Also like the idea of it not being limited to a global system but having various chat rooms for different topics. And there is no question that it MUST be moderated.

#53 Grimmhawk

Grimmhawk

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:23

don't think it should be on the Map page, but where/how it is with ss2's global chat..give the ability to disable and position it. also let me choose how many lines i want to see as a whole.
Good idea.

a spam filter should be used. i should only be able to send a message every 10+ seconds.
Definitely a must.

add a report message button that lets me choose which type of report i want to put it under. IE spam, negativity, bullying, swearing, illegal operations, etc..after reporting, message is deleted from personal, not global view.
after a certain number of reports on your messages, you should be banned from world chat for a X amount of hours/days.
After a certain number of times it'll take staff/mod to unban them.

as said earlier in this thread, i don't want this chat to ruin the map's performance. the new map already takes up a lot of the cpu's usage.

#54 centurion

centurion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:26

without good way to Moderate it, it quickly becomes ignore fest. seen it happen in SS2. frankly, I am not really for the world chat on main map. I'd rather see a separate chat room that you can go into. (or using separate window)

#55 Thiudimir

Thiudimir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:28

I didn't enjoy the global chat option in SS2 so much, for many of the reasons that others have highlighted: begging, spamming, idiocy, etc.

I did find the in-realm chat option quite helpful at times. It was a good way to get help with missions, or track spawn locations of certain creatures. In this instance, the chat was, to me, quite good for community-building.

I think I'd vote for stam costs over gold costs for posting in these new chat functions.

#56 Kemlin

Kemlin

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:34

I have a new suggestion...

There needs to be a way to message more than one player at a time ( IE : a group of guild members, An attack group for a Guild group kill ) ... Something like the menu on the Inventing screen where you can select a specific folder... This addition would cut down on traffic and simplify communication by making it easier to conduct guild business, and communication between online members.

It would be beneficial and less difficult to pass information between indicated players while keeping regular chat clear of extra communications not meant for all members of a guild..

#57 GoHalos

GoHalos

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:43

absolutely yes. Just not on the world map..

#58 Necra

Necra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:45

I have a new suggestion...

There needs to be a way to message more than one player at a time ( IE : a group of guild members, An attack group for a Guild group kill ) ... Something like the menu on the Inventing screen where you can select a specific folder... This addition would cut down on traffic and simplify communication by making it easier to conduct guild business, and communication between online members.

It would be beneficial and less difficult to pass information between indicated players while keeping regular chat clear of extra communications not meant for all members of a guild..

i agree, i have been pondering a way that HCS could/would implement a way to add guild allies as a guild feature and chat rooms to communicate with them. and utlizing this for a community feature also ; the idea of having taverns ( chatrooms) 1- social 2- merchant 3 - mentor 4 - recruiting or what ever .

#59 Lahona

Lahona

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:45

Yes to global chat. NO to on the world map!

I go to the world map only to hunt. When I hunt I turn off everything that might distract me as my i/net is none too fast and my buffs and pots rarely outlast my stam -- so I'd never see a global chat if it was on the world map.

My suggestion would be to add a left menu button for global chat, then have it come up on whatever page you are on in an overlay window like the guild store is, repositionable and resizable so it can show as much or little as you want, where you want it and when you want it.

Different / themed chat rooms could be listed and selectable in the left side menu.

#60 Roeth

Roeth

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:53

I like the idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size: