74 replies to this topic

#41 neil7887

neil7887

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 15:54

ooooh I can't wait to see this battle. GO ASSASIN240!!!!!

#42 Assasin240

Assasin240

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 15:56

My adoring fans are cheering me on 8)

*This is all going to my head right now keep it up*

TTGLKamina_zps74eb7225.png

#43 neil7887

neil7887

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 15:57

My adoring fans are cheering me on 8)

*This is all going to my head right now keep it up*

Lol not a fan =P I'm just on your side lol.

#44 zerovaldesca

zerovaldesca

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 15:59

Honestly, I don't think he is going to post an entry in the contest.

#45 fs_lichblader

fs_lichblader
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 16:01

can you call me a b.tch pwetty pwease...haven't been called that in 3 years.. (when I was catapulting somebody's villages playing Travian) :P

Frack Travian so pissed me off xD.

And dan no need to get so defensive. Just deal with others say.

#46 Assasin240

Assasin240

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 16:06

Honestly, I don't think he is going to post an entry in the contest.

Yeah I think your right

TTGLKamina_zps74eb7225.png

#47 fs_nthnclls

fs_nthnclls
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:00

This is the point in the thread when I would have said look at this thread -- viewtopic.php?f=21&t=71809

Except that the OP has proven that he's such a confrontational jerk that it doesn't matter what people say to him, he'll respond this exact same way.

#48 fs_okomakiako

fs_okomakiako
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:25

All right ya'll. Call off the angry mobs.

We all started somewhere. And even if this guy is going to act the way he is, we don't need to stoop down and meet him at his level. We showed him the door by giving him our opinions of his skill level, lets not slam the door in his face by challenging him. It's his choice if he walks through the door and takes our advice.

With that said.

80, the artists here did at first give you an honest critique. It may have been blunt, but when you're just starting out everything will seem blunt. Mainly because when you're just starting out you have to accept that you have a long way to go before you become a great designer. We all have a long way to go, don't get me wrong. There are some fantastic artists on this forum but none of us are close to being all pro.

We call your artwork a text slap but in reality it is a few steps up from a text slap.

A text slap is grabbing an image from google and throwing text on it.
The next step up is getting a render, a googled background, and some text and then putting them together.
-The next step is making your own backgrounds
Then maybe you'll play with filters and maybe misuse them
Then maybe you'll learn about layer effects
Then maybe you'll read some tutorials and learn about adjustment layers
Then maybe you'll learn about Liquify and Guassian blurs and Layer masks
Then maybe you'll discover C4Ds and learn about composition rules and flow and focals
Then maybe you'll start to get GOOD at it.
And then, maybe you'll start making your own tutorials and teach the new artists in these forums what you've learned.

But first you have to realize where exactly you are and if you hate on the people who are trying to help then in the future they probably won't help you.
Look mate, we'll help you out, but if you bash on us or whine about it it's easy enough to ignore your topics and let you learn it all on your own.

#49 fs_fourbrezio

fs_fourbrezio
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:43

Still Oko. I think the loser's requirement to view 10 tutorials is a fair consequence of losing, it will only benefit the person who loses. And if that person needs help finding and/or having the tutorial explained to him, then I'm sure we would all be more than willing to put our differences aside and help out :)

That being said, I hope he enters.

#50 rebtex

rebtex

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:48

Where is the link to that thread?

alonesig_lafuria-1.png

#51 Haloartist

Haloartist

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:57

All right ya'll. Call off the angry mobs.

We all started somewhere. And even if this guy is going to act the way he is, we don't need to stoop down and meet him at his level. We showed him the door by giving him our opinions of his skill level, lets not slam the door in his face by challenging him. It's his choice if he walks through the door and takes our advice.

With that said.

80, the artists here did at first give you an honest critique. It may have been blunt, but when you're just starting out everything will seem blunt. Mainly because when you're just starting out you have to accept that you have a long way to go before you become a great designer. We all have a long way to go, don't get me wrong. There are some fantastic artists on this forum but none of us are close to being all pro.

We call your artwork a text slap but in reality it is a few steps up from a text slap.

A text slap is grabbing an image from google and throwing text on it.
The next step up is getting a render, a googled background, and some text and then putting them together.
-The next step is making your own backgrounds
Then maybe you'll play with filters and maybe misuse them
Then maybe you'll learn about layer effects
Then maybe you'll read some tutorials and learn about adjustment layers
Then maybe you'll learn about Liquify and Guassian blurs and Layer masks
Then maybe you'll discover C4Ds and learn about composition rules and flow and focals
Then maybe you'll start to get GOOD at it.

And then, maybe you'll start making your own tutorials and teach the new artists in these forums what you've learned.

But first you have to realize where exactly you are and if you hate on the people who are trying to help then in the future they probably won't help you.
Look mate, we'll help you out, but if you bash on us or whine about it it's easy enough to ignore your topics and let you learn it all on your own.

Just to add to this.
(I'm very surprised I didn't see darkarchon say the same thing(or why he didn't even add to this thread))

The first thing I want to point out is the difference between these so called 'text slapped' images, and 'creating art'.

'Text slapping' as we call it is mostly just taking an image and throwing text on it, you may crop it, you may even change the color of the image or parts of the image. In this there is really no work/alteration done to the image. This is just not accepted. Why? 'Text slapping' is using someone else's work, without alteration. This is 'Copyright infringement' and illegal. Any artist or aspiring artist worth their weight in salt won't stand for this. How would you feel if someone else took a piece you worked on and tossed a name on it and called it theirs. This is why it isn't tolerated.

SO I am really just reiterating what you said Oko. 8)

NoMoreNovocaine.png

#52 fs_zman22180

fs_zman22180
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:29

Way to ruin my fun of watching this thread Oko and Halo... xDDD :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

#53 Dark Archon

Dark Archon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:50

I ran into this thread a day or so ago, and was just appalled at the behavior displayed here. There is a thread about victimization in the graphics thread. Seeing it now, I see Oko already covered most of what I wanted to say though.

80gdan, your work looks similar to stuff that I first created when I first started experimenting with making avatars and finding renders given my brief background with a class in Photoshop during high school. It is nice to see you have a thing for art. That said, if you really enjoy art, you've got much more potential then you are using up right now; and you might wanna take a few things I have to say in consideration.

First off, if you wanna have a successful shop around here, you gotta be willing to make some friends and let people know who you are. I find the best way to do this is to offer 3-5 free avatars at a first come, first serve basis; limiting to 1 per person. You can add that if the person wants they can optionally pay you, and that you'd appreciate it if they put a little statement in their biography in game saying you made their avatar; but note that this would all be optional, that the avatars are just your way of getting your foot into the community door and your name out there. It also gives you a lot of PR which will go a long way. I essentially boosted my fs avatar career off of a handful of players who liked my avatars and attitude enough to constantly come after me.

In terms of advice and or tutorials, I get that this thread started off in a very bad, demeaning tone, and only progressed in a negitive direction from there; but keep in mind, regardless of whether you have any experience doing what you do or not, everyone still can learn new tricks. Personally, I always try to look up new tutorials, because compared to some great artists in history and artists I know currently, both in real life and online, I think I suck. But that is just my opinion.

I know this post is getting long, and I can only hope you've been reading it and will continue to read the last few things I want to say here. Since I've already dragged this out long enough, I highly recommend you check out this thread [http://forum.fallens...hp?f=21&t=59751] which is a compilation on the basics of everything you'd need to or should want to know before marketing yourself out there along with this tutorial [http://fc01.devianta...TheInterest.png].

Anyways, like I said, I hope you take this message into consideration, and good luck with all of your future interactions within the game, the forum, and general web graphics,
Xel.

#54 fs_kirst

fs_kirst
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:49

can you call me a b.tch pwetty pwease...haven't been called that in 3 years.. (when I was catapulting somebody's villages playing Travian) :P

I've called you plenty of stuff before. I'll call you that too if you like and rest asured, I still have a plethora of dirty names left in my bag should the need arise and the naughty girl needs to be punished. :wink: :twisted: Anyways, until then, I'll see you on msn....sometime soon...I think. :?

/spam.

#55 fs_80gdan

fs_80gdan
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:24

Just to add to this. 'Text slapping' is using someone else's work, without alteration. This is 'Copyright infringement' and illegal. Any artist or aspiring artist worth their weight in salt won't stand for this. How would you feel if someone else took a piece you worked on and tossed a name on it and called it theirs. This is why it isn't tolerated.

i was trying to tel you guys that i didn't get already done images and put the text on it...noone listens :|

oh and Thank you darkarchon!!!the first post in this topic that wasn't meant to offend me

#56 rebtex

rebtex

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:26

Just to add to this. 'Text slapping' is using someone else's work, without alteration. This is 'Copyright infringement' and illegal. Any artist or aspiring artist worth their weight in salt won't stand for this. How would you feel if someone else took a piece you worked on and tossed a name on it and called it theirs. This is why it isn't tolerated.

i was trying to tel you guys that i didn't get already done images and put the text on it...noone listens :|

oh and Thank you darkarchon!!!the first post in this topic that wasn't meant to offend me

Actually HaloArtist's and Okomakiako's last posts weren't meant to offend. They were very kind.

alonesig_lafuria-1.png

#57 fs_fourbrezio

fs_fourbrezio
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:42

I know you must be stressing out about this, but nobodies posts were intended to offend you in anyway, I promise none of mine were anyway. We just see a horde of crap artists (Real text slappers) every summer that just show up and expect to make a quick buck. The sad part is, some of our customers see their shop first, and don't pay any of the devoted artists any mind at all.

I hope you take this post to heart, all we want to do is get along. We want to give you honest, although sometimes blunt, critique on your work. But it really doesn't pay to be sensitive here. So, if you plan to send an entry, let's just have a good graphics battle, and put this ugliness behind us :)

On a side note, Okomakiako's post really hit the nail on the head. Some of us just refer to artists with less experience as text slappers to either see how they react (If they are a genuine artist, they want to see how they can improve. If they are not, they leave) or they refer to them in that way simply because they don't like the idea of writing beastly messages like darkarchon about how they can improve.

#58 fs_80gdan

fs_80gdan
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:01

But in all honesty DUDE :P
You are the cancer that eats away at the graphics section. I wish we had mods to silence your kind.

I promise none of mine were anyway.

:)) i'm gona stop spamming now

#59 fs_fourbrezio

fs_fourbrezio
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:25

Well you gotta admit you were way too sensitive to start. My first post was at midnight, I was tired, and I stayed up until 9am, just having this debate with you. How long do you expect my patience to last? I'm only human.

-You called people vulgar names, before anything bad was said to you.

-You seemed hellbent on making nothing but enemies, if you want to be a part of this section of the forum, we need to get to know you as a friend, not an enemy.

-A text slapper is a term we use to describe either inexperienced artists, or customer thieves. And no one believes you are the latter of the two.

-When you kept arguing, after countless people told you how to handle this situation and that I was right, you became cancer. Simple as that.

I'm done arguing with you over this. If you want to be this way then fine, or you can man up and send the entry. If no entry is sent, and you continue to post here, your theads will most likely be ignored, or flamed (Not by me, I will have given up on this guy)

To everyone else who thinks this post is being harsh/victimization, read all the posts and variables stated above before reciting self righteous views. This just gets old after awhile.

#60 fs_80gdan

fs_80gdan
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:41

i'm doing that sig for the battle :)) i don't even have any ideea what to do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: