67 replies to this topic

#41 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 21:35

It's funny to me how some get really caught up with the semantics in game yet have no issues with other areas. I'm not sure how "prestigious" it is farming easy and unwilling targets. At least Mary's suggestions (minus the normal pvp part) rewards prestige to those that are willing to fight. You can't get on the BB or Ladder unwillingly. You have folks arguing for integrity yet think it is prestigious hitting offline targets and piling on them if they look at them the wrong way. Others proclaim this is the most important aspect yet hardly play it. All good stuff... lol.

#42 wil72

wil72

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 21:43

If that's the case then potential players should be told of that. Don't you think?

Whatever the case may be I believe they should still be informed on the homepage.

If anything it may prevent these regular complaints that players joined unknowing that player v player combat was a game mechanic and now that they do feel obligated to berate it at every opportunity.

Cheers.

wil72

#43 Pythia

Pythia

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 21:56

Yes,  new players should be given the knowledge to decide if they want to make an account or not.

#44 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2016 - 22:12

Whatever the case may be I believe they should still be informed on the homepage.

If anything it may prevent these regular complaints that players joined unknowing that player v player combat was a game mechanic and now that they do feel obligated to berate it at every opportunity.

Cheers.

wil72

That was my point wil, although you have to ask yourself... Why were the parts describing the pvp aspects removed in the first place...

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#45 duktayp

duktayp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 22:27

Why were the parts describing the pvp aspects removed in the first place...

giphy.gif why, indeed :ph34r: cue music...

#46 sweetlou

sweetlou

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:14

I do not, however, believe that the 10 stam hit should be excluded from prestige, as has been suggested in this thread. IMHO, 10 stam or 100, you take the risk of losing up to 5 levels, there should be something for being willing to make the jump.

I believe we both have the same perspective Penny. All attacks should gain Prestige! 10 stam to 100.

My opinion, as always, is that prestige should reflect the amount of stam used, and that a successful defense should gain prestige as well....

The defensive Prestige gain should only apply IF prestige was awarded according to stam used, but is a fair idea.

The reward of gaining a small amount of xp gain through Prestige is paltry compared to the rampant collusion to trade hits.

Also, arguing about whether or not Fallensword is a PvP game or not and where it is revealed is nonsense. If you haven't figured out what's going on in the first 50 levels then HCS' instructions have failed. They need to make PvP more inclusive to players, and always have needed to do more. The daily dumb quests including PvP is a good start!

[Signature removed]

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” -GRRM

#47 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:21

If that's the case then potential players should be told of that. Don't you think?

Game wouldn't be the same without PvP.

#48 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:50

Also, arguing about whether or not Fallensword is a PvP game or not and where it is revealed is nonsense.

It is not, it is very important. You complain all the time about people who complain about pvp (all the time).

Perhaps if it was made more evident that pvp plays a large part of this game, and that unlike many other forms of pvp the FS 'flavour' can have an enormous affect on your character, whether you partake or not. Then you might not have as many 'complainers' (because they simply wouldn't sign up).

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#49 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 21 November 2016 - 22:59

It is not, it is very important. You complain all the time about people who complain about pvp (all the time).

Perhaps if it was made more evident that pvp plays a large part of this game, and that unlike many other forms of pvp the FS 'flavour' can have an enormous affect on your character, whether you partake or not. Then you might not have as many 'complainers' (because they simply wouldn't sign up).

Now now, you've been around longer than I.... Even when it clearly stated that PvP was a part of this game, people said they didn't know.... FEW people actually read the fine print for anything, whether it be as important as a contract, or something that I consider much less crucial, the complete details of the game....

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#50 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2016 - 23:39

Penny, you joined almost exactly a full year before me.

Also to be fair, it has never been clearly stated how much of an effect pvp in this game can have.

Most forms of pvp in other games do not move your xp progression backwards for instance, nor can pvp be used as an alternative to other in-game mechanics for getting what you want from others. In this respect FS is fairly unique.

Since this is one of the main sticking points for people, you really don't think this should be more clearly outlined?

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#51 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 00:12

Penny, you joined almost exactly a full year before me.

Also to be fair, it has never been clearly stated how much of an effect pvp in this game can have.

Most forms of pvp in other games do not move your xp progression backwards for instance, nor can pvp be used as an alternative to other in-game mechanics for getting what you want from others. In this respect FS is fairly unique.

Since this is one of the main sticking points for people, you really don't think this should be more clearly outlined?

In games I have played pvp is and always has been a tool to improve your character, games are so sterile without it.

I personally like Hoofmasters view "Fallensword IS a PVP GAME." He has said it nurmerous times in the forums over the years and conveniently a group of players quickly forget it.

#52 Pythia

Pythia

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 00:58

Every time a player partakes in PvP to progress the character,  that player knocks someone elses character backwards, or negative progress, and I for one do not play any game to make negative progress.

I like this game, I like playing this game, I like all aspects of this game except PvP because it has the ability to negate MY forward progress. 

I've read the reactions of players that have been knocked back that did not want to be knocked back.  I got PvP protection.

I've read the reactions of players that say they have been and are being denied the ability to play the game the way they want.  I empathise with them.

People still need to be given the knowledge of PvP here before they make an account, not after.

#53 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:28

Every time a player partakes in PvP to progress the character,  that player knocks someone elses character backwards, or negative progress, and I for one do not play any game to make negative progress.

I like this game, I like playing this game, I like all aspects of this game except PvP because it has the ability to negate MY forward progress. 

I've read the reactions of players that have been knocked back that did not want to be knocked back.  I got PvP protection.

I've read the reactions of players that say they have been and are being denied the ability to play the game the way they want.  I empathise with them.

People still need to be given the knowledge of PvP here before they make an account, not after.

First off, there's never been any advantage from PvP play. The only thing ever gained is a handful of gold, and 10% more xp AFTER defeating an average of 50 players in regular PvP, or 500 successful bounty kills. The average PvP player will lose quite a few levels, or the equivalent, from being posted on the bounty board. Compare that to what you lose from my 10 stam hit.... As I stated earlier, 1 10 stam attack takes approximately 225K xp from me. With dbl 750 and AL 340 (both of which I compose myself) I gain approximately 180K from each critter. So, explain to me, dear, who exactly loses more? The poor innocent leveler that got hit? Or the attacker, who is going to lose (at my level) 450K xp 10 TIMES on the board.... It's a risk that the PvP player is willing to take. Explain why we shouldn't get a buff (that's available to all, just not everybody uses it) to recoup some of our losses? We're only playing the game as it was originally intended, after all....

Whether or not an announcement is made about PvP being in the game really has no place in this thread in the first place to be honest. And I have never understood why people are so averse to something that is kinda fun, tbh. You know, there used to be PvP mentioned on the home page.... People still whined about being hit, word wars were fought hort and heavy in this very forum, and invariably, somebody would say "I didn't know there was PvP in this game." So, I guess it didn't matter then that they put it right out there any more than it does now that they don't.

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

#54 Pythia

Pythia

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:47

Yes this does have a place here,  because the OP comment concerns a change in prestige and how it is gained, which if happens will change PvP and the way it flows. That will impact every player in this game.

Like it or not, it is all relevant.

#55 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:15

It's not the first time that PvP has changed. In the beginning, there was only the level range to protect you. There was no PvP protection whatsoever, you started with 1000 PvP rating, and this fluctuated depending on a. if you were attacked or attacked somebody and b. if you won or lost, on or off the board. This worked fine, until some players started trading PvP rating to climb the ladder, ie cheating.....

So the ladder was invented, and PvP presige was instituted to give PvP players some kind of gain. You talk about PvP stopping your forward progress.... you seem to be doing pretty well.... I'm sure you don't get hit all that often. I'm not saying you should have to engage in PvP, I'm just saying that you are misunderstanding what the OP wants here. This is about Prestige matching the amount of expended stam, not whether or not you or anybody else knows it's a game that includes PvP, and not how it affects your gameplay, but how it affects the PvP player.

As it is, for regular PvP, you can only hit those in your range once every 3 days, and they have to have logged in in the past week. If for any reason the defender doesn't lose XP (protection, the protect enhancement, or conserve kicks in) no prestige is given. This is to protect your right to happily grind out levels or whatever it is that gives you bliss in the game....

That's all I'm trying to say here.

Edited by BadPenny, 22 November 2016 - 02:16.

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

#56 Pythia

Pythia

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:40

Nevermind.

#57 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:01

Outside of the normal pvp hit, I like Mary's suggestion. I don't like the OP's suggestion for normal pvp hits either. I always go back to the tried and true example of the introduction of the smasher medal.

When the smasher medal was introduced, you got a tick towards a medal and all heck broke loose. This suggestion would almost have a similar effect. It would encourage 100 stam hits on mostly unwilling targets instead of the 10 stam "love" taps as some call them. Why is prestige awarded for the simplest kind of attack? An unprepared target most likely one not inclined to pvp. For B.B. And ladder, I'm all in.

#58 kitobas

kitobas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 22:41

I would rather see this:

• for "normal" PvP (gold hits)

10 stam = ZERO Prestige (will counter "prestige trading")

100 stam = 10 Prestige

• for the PvP Lader

10 stam = ZERO Prestige (will counter "prestige trading + already PvP Prestige potion there)

100 stam = 1 Prestige

• for the Bounty Board

10 stam = 1 Prestige

100 stam = 5 Prestige

Prestige Rewards are good BUT definitely NO to #4 !!! NO "safe" hits (would both upset PvPers & NON-PvPers) !!!!

I liking this very much

I like this. A lot!

Prestige was meant as a way to get a little extra xp back from hunting if you "lived by the sword" and often got posted for a joyful smacking. Not as something levelers should twist into something they could get a little extra from - as safely as possible.
I recall all the twisting and perverting of the ladder concept (and the pvp event thing - oh and on the smasher medal), and recall who were the most outspoken on the matters, so that they could gain an extra little shiny to their leveling way of game play.
And yeah, that came out a tad bitter - but there might be a reason for that.

thank you very much kitiarali, very good posting, you right about real meaning of why prestige was creating and how it getting watering down because some starting crying, very sad

there always are players who wanting removing all pvp from game or removing xp loss from game then starting crying why pvp existing

this is topic creating from player subject about

PvP prestige.

and not for crying about why pvp should not existing in game, that off topic

you wanting crying about why pvp should not existing in game then go making new topic or go crying to admin why pvp existing in game

Edited by BigGrim, 23 November 2016 - 10:55.
No insults please.

#59 Subject

Subject

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:04

Yikes, I believe that this topic has went a direction it was not intended to go.
Not sure why there is arguing about PvP being part of the game?
It is very much part of the game and should NEVER be removed...
With that said..

If we could stay on topic with ideas and thoughts to IMPROVE PvP not remove it from the game or wether the game gave information about PvP whenn signing up that'd be great.!

I'd like HCS to take this Thread seriously so maybe good changes can be made

So if you're here to bash others and get this post off topic please stop

Thank you

Edited by Subject, 23 November 2016 - 11:05.

#60 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 15:30

Yikes, I believe that this topic has went a direction it was not intended to go.
Not sure why there is arguing about PvP being part of the game?
It is very much part of the game and should NEVER be removed...
With that said..

If we could stay on topic with ideas and thoughts to IMPROVE PvP not remove it from the game or wether the game gave information about PvP whenn signing up that'd be great.!

I'd like HCS to take this Thread seriously so maybe good changes can be made

So if you're here to bash others and get this post off topic please stop

Thank you

If you don't want to consider the unintended consequence of "improving" pvp than you are only improving it for one part of the player base at the detriment of others. All the MAJOR failures that were almost immediately reversed were because of not considering the consequences (see smasher medal and pvp seasons). I believe your idea has merit as long as you consider the impact on those that don't enjoy the aspect. I prefer Mary's idea minus the normal pvp hit as her idea doesn't impact those not interested in that aspect of the game. It will likely have minimal to no impact to the non participants while enhancing it for the participants. Win-win

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: