Building Sets 2

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#41 ss_sailor

ss_sailor
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 15:48

After now having spent 6K+ energy to build a set here at lvl 300, I am sticking by my vote that "It is horrible to make the set and I stick with Core items." The time and effort to build it was more than I really wanted to spend in the first place. Now that I have built the set, the style of play I have been using with the core items, does not go with the set-up of the elite set, so I kind of wasted my time in building it. Yes, I could have been real anal in calculating the stats of the set before making it, but all the sets I saw were FE'ed and I was not planning on doing that as there are other upgrades I would rather spend on. The way I have built my character at this point does not work with the set and don't plan on redoing that portion of it, just to use the set.

Yes, it has far more damage than what I usually use, but does not provide me with enough protection in Defense or Armor, so I'll be throwing it to the side for now, but will probably just end up selling it. Maybe it will be for just hunting elites for the damage portion, but idk.

Based on that, I doubt I'll craft any more as any equipment I make will be for myself, only.

I hear everything you are saying. It is a style of play that determines the type of gear needed. Until the assassin enhancement came out SOD only built core gear. Nothing wrong with core gear at all. When the assassin enhancement came out we switched philosophies and built class gear for all levels. I have found times that core gear is needed to get the stats needed to be able to solo an elite. And if a faction or individual is going to build sets then they need to be able to solo the elite. Otherwise get a squad, kill the guy and move on.

Gear and evolve pts settings is a personal matter. It is more cost effective to use the core stuff but if one wants the extra XP that the assassin enhancement gives then class gear is the way to go.

I did not mind being at EOC and farming elites to build sets. I took a few months off from the game and now EOC is way beyond my reach so building sets is going to be a real pain. I don’t look forward to spending weeks at 320 building sets.

#42 Undjuvion

Undjuvion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Australia

Posted 27 February 2011 - 20:36

@FCBnwo >>> always, so beware not to arouse the wrath of undjuvion, tables will get turned and coffee cups spilt, people WILL cry!! >:D

#43 Sajitarius

Sajitarius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 22:28

getting drops is not the real problem is it the EXTRACTION process...
not only does salvage seem a bit useless, it also *seems* like the game "knows" what component you is trying to get and thus makes getting it nearly as painful as extracting your own teeth :x

#44 ss_axegrinder

ss_axegrinder
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:08

not only does salvage seem a bit useless, it also *seems* like the game "knows" what component you is trying to get and thus makes getting it nearly as painful as extracting your own teeth :x

The drop rate can be hard at times and i agree completely on the extraction,when you have Sal100 or higher thrown on you and you get the same extract over and over or you get the message component destroyed 10 to 15 times in a row :)

#45 ss_mutated16

ss_mutated16
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:20

yeah its pretty hard since u need to get all the components from elites and stuff like that but i try to do it 8-)

#46 Roach

Roach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Badge
  • Canada

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:16

My 320 elite hunting Continues - i now have 29 drops - even though i need 24 extractions i do not have enough drops to make a set I have killed 97 elites using FI 130 and am still under the 30% droprate

I feel that my droprate with FI now should be the normal and that FI should give more benefit

I am building all 4 sets and i will continue to post my progress - not extracting yet will collect more drops first (like 50)

I expect to have around 400 kills before i am finished building sets - when i extract - i will report those results aswell

we could maybe get a better salvage stim to help with extract rates.. but thats a different topic... and a different task

will keep posting my progress as i go

It's a bit of a chore to build Sets, but I do it anyway.

#47 WandKing

WandKing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:29

I've built a lot of sets or was involved in gathering drops to send to a designated member who is building the sets. The drop rate isn't so much as the frustration but, as mentioned from others, it is the extraction from resources that give 2 or more components.
I've had elite hunting sessions (1 hour increments) that I may get 2 drops out of 12 kills or I may get 7 drops out of 8 kills.
I can live with that!

My issue and those mentioned earlier by other players is the extractions: I need 1 component and I get 7 or 8 of the component I don't need and either I have to make additional items (hoping I get many of the other components need) or I start destroying them to allow for room reserved for the components I need!
I can also live with the fact that resources get destroyed during extractions!

I think I have come up with a solution for this one sided extraction frustration :shock:

In each shop that has the elite set items, add blueprints for each component that can be extracted from the resource drop.
For example: I have 5 components I don't need and I need the other one or two...
I get tired of destroying the useless components so I go back to the shop and purchase a blueprint that will allow me to use the 5 unneeded components to make 1 needed component!
If the elite drops a resource that can be extracted into 3 components then there should be 6 blueprints in the store.
Even the cost of the prints can be the same as each elite set item blueprint (I would easily pay the cost myself).

I'm no number cruncher per say but I bet that would, in itself, save 20% energy and time...cost more though :)

#48 acidic

acidic

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:02

There is a new problem on building sets not yet addressed.

Historically teams could work together and designate player to do all extracts for an elite. This would allow the best use of extracts. The current rate of release though is spreading out players to a point that players will again need to make sets for themselves in many cases. This means people who don't have 30,40 or 100 slots to extract to will likely end up burning a lot of extracts. It also means players who complete a set will end up burning their left over because they won't have anyone to send them drops and finish it off for them. The result of all of this is that sets will likely be made using somewhere between 10-30% more drops across the game. There is no exact way to measure it, but I know I have seen players already starting to feel the pain of not having a team to work with on such projects. This includes me who is approaching 360 and started making plans to build my set and low and behold, only one player on my team has 2 extracts left from their endeavor.

I think a swap shop is really needed - it could be a faction structure to provide a credit sink perhaps? We had previously discussed ratios. I'd suggest starting at 3-1 fore level 1, 2-1 for level to 1-1 for level 3. Make level 3 crazy expensive too.

On the greater topic of gear.... time to add some high level SF gear?????

On the secondary topic of teamwork.... lets get some faction efforts in place soon???? team missions, FvF slaughterfest, some thing more than sharing squads, structures and gear.....

Happy Monday Bovine Folk!

#49 ss_varkaz

ss_varkaz
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:15

I was thinking that too, Varkaz are you a coder can you confirm this by examining the code?

No, I'm not a Coder. I am am responsible for Content in Sigmastorm. I use the Admin tools provided by the Coders to build Sigma. But there are a few things I can do to effect the playability of the game, but I must be very careful as I can break it quite easily. Small changes are best, we can then judge the effects on the game.

#50 ss_varkaz

ss_varkaz
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:36

... i think thats great work increasing drop rates on earlier elites to ease frustration for newer players till they get the swing of it :)

Now worries. It an idea that came from the Players :)

Err, I cannot alter a particular items drop from an Entity. it's a Global drop for the entire Entity. Mission items and all. Sorry :(

I cannot lower a particular items drop from an Entity as it's a global drop for ALL the items attached to that Entity. There is NO drop rate attached to a particular item OR component. Such a facility is simply not within my Admin tools to do!

I've built a lot of sets or was involved in gathering drops to send to a designated member who is building the sets. The drop rate isn't so much as the frustration but, as mentioned from others, it is the extraction from resources that give 2 or more components.
I've had elite hunting sessions (1 hour increments) that I may get 2 drops out of 12 kills or I may get 7 drops out of 8 kills.
I can live with that!

Ok - nice to hear :)

I think I have come up with a solution for this one sided extraction frustration :shock:

In each shop that has the elite set items, add blueprints for each component that can be extracted from the resource drop.
For example: If the elite drops a resource that can be extracted into 3 components then there should be 6 blueprints in the store.

Errrr :shock:
What would these items be? More Class items? More work for me and art? No, sorry. Nice try though.

There is a new problem on building sets not yet addressed.

[Whimper]

Historically teams could work together and designate player to do all extracts for an elite. This would allow the best use of extracts. The current rate of release though is spreading out players to a point that players will again need to make sets for themselves in many cases.

Elites are supposed to be a team thing. The idea is to bring Factions together to take down the big boss at the end of a content. I see your issue here, but I can't help that. I have a target to hit with content and it's my job to do just that. There are times when things happen, like Find Item being tweaked - which means that I can't get to content :(

On the greater topic of gear.... time to add some high level SF gear?????

We are doing that ;)

On the secondary topic of teamwork.... lets get some faction efforts in place soon???? team missions, FvF slaughterfest, some thing more than sharing squads, structures and gear.....

Faction Missions - I'd like to do something like this, I have seen this being posted from you from time-to-time. But I don't see that most Players want to spend time helping others, they see it as a waste of their Energy. If I made a massive Mission that required excessive kills then add Sub-Leveling on top... there would be a riot. I have added horrible Missions into Sigma from time to time, and you can seen the feedback! I'm not convinced that many Players even read the Missions. There is genrally more negitive feedback than positive about them, so I have to go with what I read.

Let me think about it some more though.

#51 PhurieDae

PhurieDae

Chief Creative Officer

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Badge
  • United Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:44

If the code COULD tell* which components players were still short on, we would likely be charging FC or creating buffs to help yours chances. As it is, it's just one of those things. It's like when the printer decides to break thirty minutes before your essay is due or why your phone runs out of charge when you need to make a really important phone call. The inconvenience is so frustrating you forget about all the times the technology worked just fine.

*Note that if the game has somehow become self-aware and added in new code just to torture players, then we all have bigger problems...;)
Louisa Gallie
Senior Concept & UI Artist

#52 Sakuliver

Sakuliver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:58

I'm not convinced that many Players even read the Missions. There is genrally more negitive feedback than positive about them, so I have to go with what I read.

I'd say the main reason for people not reading the missions is that they don't have the time to do it. I'd love to read all the text, it's a big plus here of the missions, but most of the time I'm just in a race to burn my energy before my buffs are running out.

#53 ss_varkaz

ss_varkaz
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:06

I'm not convinced that many Players even read the Missions. There is genrally more negitive feedback than positive about them, so I have to go with what I read.

I'd say the main reason for people not reading the missions is that they don't have the time to do it. I'd love to read all the text, it's a big plus here of the missions, but most of the time I'm just in a race to burn my energy before my buffs are running out.

Thanks for your kind comment, thats nice to hear. But can you please stay on topic.

#54 Sakuliver

Sakuliver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:07

sorry :oops:

#55 ss_varkaz

ss_varkaz
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:09

sorry :oops:

No worries - it was my fault for answering the post.

#56 ss_cuddles71

ss_cuddles71
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 14:17

I had been trying to build the level 170 purist set but after 3 days hunting and killing the elite the only drop I was able to get was one that I had to buy from the store..I have now given up as I wasnt getting any drops at all..I would build more or try harder if the drops were more frequent. I tried alsorts of buffs to get drops but I had nothing....
The drops should be better :D

#57 centurion

centurion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 15:09

from valk

Faction Missions - I'd like to do something like this, I have seen this being posted from you from time-to-time. But I don't see that most Players want to spend time helping others, they see it as a waste of their Energy. If I made a massive Mission that required excessive kills then add Sub-Leveling on top... there would be a riot. I have added horrible Missions into Sigma from time to time, and you can seen the feedback! I'm not convinced that many Players even read the Missions. There is genrally more negitive feedback than positive about them, so I have to go with what I read.

Well this could be tied to the next structure. if the reward is worth the effort, people will go for it. just make it so that you need certain faction lvl to access it.

#58 ss_varkaz

ss_varkaz
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 15:10

I had been trying to build the level 170 purist set but after 3 days hunting and killing the elite the only drop I was able to get was one that I had to buy from the store..I have now given up as I wasnt getting any drops at all..I would build more or try harder if the drops were more frequent. I tried alsorts of buffs to get drops but I had nothing....
The drops should be better :D

Ok - I'm testing this myself. I have hunted again for an hour out of 6 runs I got 5 drops out of 18 kills with my Find Item [100]. Which is under the drop rate, but within acceptable levels regaurding the Random Number Generator niggles.

#59 ss_varkaz

ss_varkaz
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 15:11

from valk

Well this could be tied to the next structure. if the reward is worth the effort, people will go for it. just make it so that you need certain faction lvl to access it.

This is off topic, stay on topic.

#60 Maury Bund

Maury Bund

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 16:11

Ok - I'm testing this myself. I have hunted again for an hour out of 6 runs I got 5 drops out of 18 kills with my Find Item [100]. Which is under the drop rate, but within acceptable levels regaurding the Random Number Generator niggles.

On this note, I was finding that the drop rate, after your last tweak, was netting between 25-40% with an FI active. Without FI, however, I almost never got a drop (1 of 19). Was it the randomness or will it really require an FI to get a drop? It shouldn't, it should just help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: