Photo

Constructive criticism

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Constructive criticism (101 member(s) have cast votes)

Does HCS respond well to constructive criticism?

1. Yes (11 votes [10.89%])

Percentage of vote: 10.89%

2. No (46 votes [45.54%])

Percentage of vote: 45.54%

3. In general, yes (12 votes [11.88%])

Percentage of vote: 11.88%

4. Sometimes (17 votes [16.83%])

Percentage of vote: 16.83%

5. Rarely (13 votes [12.87%])

Percentage of vote: 12.87%

6. Don't know. (2 votes [1.98%])

Percentage of vote: 1.98%

Vote

#61 rowbeth

rowbeth

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:30

I voted Rarely because many good threads have been on the back burner for years.

This is a thread about how well they respond to constructive criticism - not how quickly/well they add updates or respond to suggestions.  Please try to keep on topic.

To respond well, one's response has to be timely. Windbattle's comment is completely on topic

#62 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 15:09

I'm not too sure how worthwhile it is to keep this thread rolling after the recent the changes, but I'm still reading anyway. 

I'll restate: there have been "yes", "sometimes", "rarely" and "no" votes. All of them are valid. They come from different experiences and perspectives.

Somebody asked me a couple days ago in game what the "root cause" was of me deciding to post this... I am not 100% sure what the "correct" answer is to that. 

In short, I guess it was meant to be what I considered to be a long overdue wake-up call to HCS. Feedback is necessary to correct errors. 

In my "personal" case, response from HCS has always been reasonable. However, I rarely rock the boat. For years, I've been seeing some of the cases that are mentioned in this thread. 

I understand the complicated nature of HCS setting down "strict guidelines" for players because somebody will always come to push the line. 

However, the team needs to establish guidelines. There needs to be recourse for players that feel a decision was unjust. 

Hence, I was pleased in seeing that Hoof sat down with the team to such an end. Hopefully, this will hope to reevaluate knee-jerk reactions. 

Again, this thread was not created to "get what I want". Players need to heed what I think Hoof said quite clearly and what I fully agree with: It's impossible to make everyone happy. 

However a player decides to play FS, they need to realize that there are others that play differently. 

I'm often disgusted, quite literally, by the me-me attitude throughout FS. For me, it's juvenile and misguided. 

I personally believe that HCS staff gets disgusted by the wave of complaints that roll in on every improvement they try to make. However, they need to be clear on their reaction to those. 

HCS does not have an easy job. But it IS their job. I simply plead some objectivity on that front. Step back and let it wash over where relevant. Listen, but don't react. There "is" some input there.

#63 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 18:21

HCS does not have an easy job. But it IS their job. I simply plead some objectivity on that front. Step back and let it wash over where relevant. Listen, but don't react. There "is" some input there.

Not an easy job indeed. As you have mentioned, the selfish nature of many of the playing community. I think a lot of the "no's" come from folk who think they have come up with the greatest idea since sliced bread and the cows dared ignore it or responded with its not gonna happen! How dare they!!! If the cows "listen" too long, they get players lamenting on how the most awesome thread ever is being ignored with no input or bump it to oblivion. Players demand a detailed accounting of why the most awesome idea ever is not going to be implemented. Then come up with 10 other ideas and demand responses and implementation. need a happy balance.

Just saying this goes both ways and the cows need to take things with a grain of salt lick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: