Photo

Fallen Sword Chat

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

Poll: Is this something you would like to see added to the game? (218 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this something you would like to see added to the game?

1. Voted Yes (166 votes [76.15%])

Percentage of vote: 76.15%

2. Voted No (52 votes [23.85%])

Percentage of vote: 23.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 fs_jimmygare

fs_jimmygare
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:00

without chat is laggin with will sucks specially for titan hunting

#62 Arnagast

Arnagast

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:02

Like most things in life there is a good side and then, there is the bad side of these things and chat is no exception in games.

The Good.
1. You can get a lot of useful information from players about all aspects of the game.
2. It can make the game more alive and fun.
3. Can be a good way to make friends.

The Bad.
1. Spam.
2. An easy way for those pesky fake offers from them all so lovely people from abroad, you know the ones, that lead you to them false web-sites to rip you off from your hard earned money. Can't say i have ever fallen for them personally but you hear of people that do.
3. The arguing from two or more people, we have all seen it.
4. People will always disagree over life in general but always make sure the rest of us see it instead of taking it to private chat.

The not sure if its good or bad.
1. Guild advertising/Sellers/buyers of gear/buff and potion sellers - can see this spamming the chat.

The needs or would likes.
1. Long as you can turn the chat off.
2. Chat needs to be monitored but we all know this rarely happens.
3. The ability to report spam, abuse, racism and generally all bad things.
4. Would be good to be able to make private chat rooms so the good people you know can chat in peace.
5. Long as the chat box doesn't interfear with your hunting.
6. Would be good to have chat tabs so you could have general chat, selling buying, guild advertising and so on.
7. Chat for just the area your in, sometimes not everyone needs to hear/see everything a few of you are saying.

Voted yes but in general i personally only use chat for good info about the game.

#63 PreyDragon

PreyDragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:05

Why can i see this chat being used for players to flood chat with selling buffs, items etc.

#64 mimdala

mimdala

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:09

Like most things in life there is a good side and then, there is the bad side of these things and chat is no exception in games.

The Good.
1. You can get a lot of useful information from players about all aspects of the game.
2. It can make the game more alive and fun.
3. Can be a good way to make friends.

The Bad.
1. Spam.
2. An easy way for those pesky fake offers from them all so lovely people from abroad, you know the ones, that lead you to them false web-sites to rip you off from your hard earned money. Can't say i have ever fallen for them personally but you hear of people that do.
3. The arguing from two or more people, we have all seen it.
4. People will always disagree over life in general but always make sure the rest of us see it instead of taking it to private chat.

The not sure if its good or bad.
1. Guild advertising/Sellers/buyers of gear/buff and potion sellers - can see this spamming the chat.

The needs or would likes.
1. Long as you can turn the chat off.
2. Chat needs to be monitored but we all know this rarely happens.
3. The ability to report spam, abuse, racism and generally all bad things.
4. Would be good to be able to make private chat rooms so the good people you know can chat in peace.
5. Long as the chat box doesn't interfear with your hunting.
6. Would be good to have chat tabs so you could have general chat, selling buying, guild advertising and so on.

Voted yes but in general i personally only use chat for good info about the game.

Wow great summary! Just want to say that adequate monitoring of the chat should take care of pretty much all the bad stuff. So basically if this was implemented it would REALLY need mods. Point has already been made, just want to emphasize it :P

mimdala_zps719aa5bc.png

#65 Matetuer

Matetuer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:12

why not working on and releasing the new tokens sets instead of starting something else??

#66 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:15

why not working on and releasing the new tokens sets instead of starting something else??

probably because BG works on the new sets.

Hoof, zorg and lamium work on coding stuff. I don't think I'd want BG going near the code!

#67 fs_valestra

fs_valestra
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:15

Yes to global chat. NO to on the world map!

I go to the world map only to hunt. When I hunt I turn off everything that might distract me as my i/net is none too fast and my buffs and pots rarely outlast my stam -- so I'd never see a global chat if it was on the world map.

My suggestion would be to add a left menu button for global chat, then have it come up on whatever page you are on in an overlay window like the guild store is, repositionable and resizable so it can show as much or little as you want, where you want it and when you want it.

Different / themed chat rooms could be listed and selectable in the left side menu.

I agree. When I hunt, I turn off EVERYTHING not necessary. A separate window, that can be re-sized and moved around would be much better, especially if it didn't disappear every time I changed pages, but could still be shut off for hunting. Then I can continue doing what I need to do without having to stay on the map page.

I have a live chat on other games I play. Mostly it works fine. but there are rules and mods. If HCS doesn't have the manpower to mod the chat, then enlist player mods. Or hire them for small rewards. (Obviously the player mods would have to be reviewed and have a trial period. We wouldn't want the mods to be worse than what they are supposed to be preventing).

Have different channels/rooms for different purposes... a pub for posting messages about recruiting, offering challenges or bragging, trade for selling/bartering, new players for the newbie questions, map chat for speaking to others on the same map as you, and of course, private rooms for chatting with a small group of friends, your guilds titan hunters, or others in your native language. So, the shout box MAY lose some posts. Many will still use it as an announcement place... for those shouts for various achievements and random silliness.

I also agree that it would need to have a way to toggle it off, for those who just don't care, or those that would end up lagging worse than ever. This game has way too much lag as it is to have another permanent thing to make it worse.

I like the idea of having a way to make this more of a community. Many people play this and never speak to anyone outside their own guild. I am one of those. If I haven't been in a guild with you, chances are I have never spoken to you. I think it would be nice to be able to make more friends here, meet more people and not feel so isolated.

Just my three cents... I'll shut up now.

#68 myakka

myakka

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Badge

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:19

I just want to say that I loathe the chats in other games that have an auto-scroll feature. I love the way chat is done now -- where it only updates when you reload the page.

I very often end up being an FS-chauvinist. -- thinking that the FS way is the right way and miss them when I play other games. :P (I don't intentionally do that -- but I do end up being that way.)

If you could possibly keep that part of things in Global chat, that would be wonderful IMO.

I do have some of the latest upgrades turned off -- I also have the FSBox turned off. They make the screen too busy for my taste.

If you can't or aren't going to do that, at least let me turn it off too when I don't want it.

#69 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:19

I'd like to see a separate chat page created only for the purposes of discussions with HCS, where HCS monitor it during the discussion.

There's merit to the chat idea, just not in the form being presented.

#70 Lutrafs

Lutrafs

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:24

Another option would be to do the following:

1. Make it so we can make our own chat room (seperate screen then all others, available to be done via actions menu)

2. Make it so whoever creates the room is the moderator of it, and they can appoint other moderators

3. Make it so that people can join by invitation or by selecting from a list of rooms ie: public/private (at choice of creator)

4. Make it so we have the choice of making it a public or private room, and we can choose to have or not have moderators

5. Make it so each room costs a set amount of gold to create something like 1-2mil gold, and then a few hundred every hour maybe, and the gold cost would only be incurred to the creator of the room.

6. Allow the creator and moderators of the rooms to remove anyone that is spamming or begging or anything that is deemed unacceptable, as well a report option for such things, like the report option we have in our personal logs.

This would make a great alternative to a complete game wide chat where begging and spamming happens, allows us players to moderate the use of it to prevent it, and it creates a gold sink as well.

#71 Arnagast

Arnagast

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:24

Yes to global chat. NO to on the world map!

I go to the world map only to hunt. When I hunt I turn off everything that might distract me as my i/net is none too fast and my buffs and pots rarely outlast my stam -- so I'd never see a global chat if it was on the world map.

My suggestion would be to add a left menu button for global chat, then have it come up on whatever page you are on in an overlay window like the guild store is, repositionable and resizable so it can show as much or little as you want, where you want it and when you want it.

Different / themed chat rooms could be listed and selectable in the left side menu.

I agree. When I hunt, I turn off EVERYTHING not necessary. A separate window, that can be re-sized and moved around would be much better, especially if it didn't disappear every time I changed pages, but could still be shut off for hunting. Then I can continue doing what I need to do without having to stay on the map page.

I have a live chat on other games I play. Mostly it works fine. but there are rules and mods. If HCS doesn't have the manpower to mod the chat, then enlist player mods. Or hire them for small rewards. (Obviously the player mods would have to be reviewed and have a trial period. We wouldn't want the mods to be worse than what they are supposed to be preventing).

Have different channels/rooms for different purposes... a pub for posting messages about recruiting, offering challenges or bragging, trade for selling/bartering, new players for the newbie questions, map chat for speaking to others on the same map as you, and of course, private rooms for chatting with a small group of friends, your guilds titan hunters, or others in your native language. So, the shout box MAY lose some posts. Many will still use it as an announcement place... for those shouts for various achievements and random silliness.

I also agree that it would need to have a way to toggle it off, for those who just don't care, or those that would end up lagging worse than ever. This game has way too much lag as it is to have another permanent thing to make it worse.

I like the idea of having a way to make this more of a community. Many people play this and never speak to anyone outside their own guild. I am one of those. If I haven't been in a guild with you, chances are I have never spoken to you. I think it would be nice to be able to make more friends here, meet more people and not feel so isolated.

Just my three cents... I'll shut up now.

Naa, well said. You even mentioned some things here that i forgot to mention. I'm the same when it comes to not speaking outside my guild. Though to be honest when it comes to chat in games i can't keep up or type fast enough so end up staying silent.

#72 fs_kinglord1

fs_kinglord1
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:37

great idea :)
i like it :D

#73 myakka

myakka

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Badge

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:49

I think the Map mayn't be the right place

A separate page for the chat room would be great :)

Public & private chat rooms need to be made available for all sorts of conversation

I agree... and call it "The Tavern".

Charge 5 gold to enter and 1000 gold/player to set up separate chat rooms. Call them the "cover charge", and the "room rental fee".
Then it will be a major gold sink.

#74 myakka

myakka

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Badge

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:52

I think the Map mayn't be the right place

A separate page for the chat room would be great :)

Public & private chat rooms need to be made available for all sorts of conversation

I agree... and call it "The Tavern".

Charge 5 gold to enter and 1000 gold/player to set up separate chat rooms. Call them the "cover charge", and the "room rental fee".
Then it will be a major gold sink.

Perhaps it shouldn't be on the map, but it should share the same tab as the map.
It is similar in theme -- but would be very distracting while hunting/moving around.

#75 paingwin

paingwin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:54

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO

#76 Davros81

Davros81

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:54

Happy with this idea in principle, but factor in the following issues/ideas:

1. Not on the map screen, hated it in SS2;

2. Ignore needs to be factored in so i do not see messages from those on my ignore list;

3. a Report button for anyone cursing or spamming on the chat;

4. Lag, would this new addition just make the game even more laggy, especially if it IS on the map screen;

5. FSBox, as previously mentioned, would this feature just depreciate the value of the shout/FS Box..?;

6. Finally, as Oldskool stated I reckon most would just turn it off in their preferences as the majority of it would be inane to each individual player.

#77 BraveKath

BraveKath

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:58

In theory a nice idea, but the reality of this game make me not a fan of this game.

My other game is mostly older players, as it's an old game and the region chat tends to be respectful, but there are a number of moderators online at all hours who quickly respond to foulness and spammers, but the creators of the game also are active players. As we've seen HCS isn't playing the game anymore, so without HCS staff online 24/7 moderating I say --- No!

The other difference between my other game and a few others I've tried is that it is truly pay to play (monthly fee) and that keeps a lot of the immature out of the game, and while I like FS there are tons of immature players of all ages. If HCS staff were around playing 24/7 to moderate that would be a different thing, then this might work.

I also say Absolutely No to having it on the World Map, as it's oftentimes too slow and this doesn't need to be there. I'm concerned to have it anywhere in the game due to the drain on the servers and this game has always, even with the dramatically lower player #'s online suffered from regular SLOOOOOWW spells throughout the day.

The thoughts flying around there to have it a separate active (doesn't require refreshing) chat for guildies and that you could invite allies or other players into that chat - would be great!

I would rather the image problems be fixed. I would rather the slowness on the hunting maps be fixed. I never hunted with Titanstride (started hunting Titan after it was banned), but I've gone from being able to get 1500 kills on a titan to about 300 -- there's something horribly wrong there! It's not a question of competition, as I'm taking that into consideration.

~ A Chatty Kathy

#78 paingwin

paingwin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 22:17

You know, I have been reading through part of this thread, and i must say it quite depressing. All you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Doubting the maturity of the average Fallensword player, believing that a world wide chat would end in disaster LOOLOLOLOLOLOL. I can see where alot of people may think that, and completely understand the concern about the loss of the FSBox. The FSBox has turned into nothing but a tool for merchants anyway, so make it against the rules of world chat to post anything about selling anything, make messages reportable and TADA, 1 crisis averted. As for the chat being on the world screen, no. I very rarely go to the world screen, along with alot of others in the game. it should have its own link, its own page, or perhaps its own side bar area. I honestly dont see this as a bad thing, this game has always been on the up and up in terms of chat regulation so i dont see this idea causing many problems.

#79 IVANIDAS

IVANIDAS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 31 May 2012 - 22:19

I think there should be more epics from 300 and under :roll:

1XUAuwf.png

#80 Lutrafs

Lutrafs

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 22:21

I still think option to create seperate rooms and make them public or private (invitation only) is the best option, gives us the tools to moderate our own chat, the same way guilds monitor thier own, this way if people want to have adult type conversations they can, if they want to have childish conversations they can, if they just want to chat with certain people they can.

Plus it would create a gold sink (that many will use), which i think we can all agree this game needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: