130 replies to this topic

#61 volcom

volcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Badge

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:41

I actually feel that the opposite would be true volcom. By adding more arena moves it would make for a larger arrangement of combinations being used (assuming of coarse that the new moves were actually useful, unlike the poison and fire....). A larger arrangement of moves would mean that your moves can work specifically with a certain gear type rather than having a combat move set that can generically be used for several different gear sets. This would, in a sense, make it more likely for a novice to win an arena due to the increased variance of moves and gear customization, adding another level to the arena.

Nobody can blame "Epics" and "paying players" for arena wins, since the majority of epics are worse than the normal gear, and since legendary and crystalline items are at an all time low cost.. New moves could change the arena dynamics dramatically, unless of coarse you want to "dummy it down" by somehow making a player win by the roll of the dice. I feel that the customization of combat moves is what makes the arena stand apart from other "luck" based games... A good analogy would be slots vs. poker, whereas slots is 100% luck and poker is a combination of luck AND skill. This diversity is what keeps many of us interested in playing the arena and if it was any less diverse, I would not be playing the arena at all.

Currently, if you are using an attack/armor gear set then you are hoping your opponent is using a defensive gear set and you are also "hoping" that your opponent is not using an armor/damage set....etc.etc.etc.

What we need is a diversification of the combat moves so that it isn't so cut and dry, thereby reducing that "hope" (which is really just luck) of not being matched up with a certain player in a certain arena, and having it be more about having a good combination of combat moves, using moves that will enhance your specific gear type.

In reality, anybody could win any arena with a little luck (I've seen it happen when low level players enter an arena a couple hundred levels higher, and still win based on the above mentioned "hope"), or the classic deflect move that always seems to activate at just the right time, except when I am using it :).

I hope this makes sense.

I couldn't agree with you more that adding more moves to the arena would diversify arena strategy, etc. However, after a while, wouldn't you agree that some of the move combos would become dominant and everyone would be using them? Not only that, but more moves means more things for newer players to understand and the more likely they will get confused. Just my opinion.

As for the guild tag team match thing: I like the idea. Not good if guild gold is being used to join matches. 

Oh and I absolutely LOVE the idea of a clock on arenas. Would encourage a lot more people to join. Some of the numbers the post had didn't quite make sense but I'm sure that we could work it out.

==============================================================================================

Now. I'm sure we would all appreciate it if Hoof or BG would read through this topic and give us some feedback as to if any of our suggestions are even viable. If they can't/don't want to code a whole new part to the game, we can't really do much about it. If we could get a reply from the mods, would probably greatly increase the number of people who are posting their ideas in this forum. Or it could shut down the topic indefinitely. But I for one, would like to know what the Cows think

Edited by volcom, 14 April 2014 - 05:45.

#62 lapdragon

lapdragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:49

BRICE n FERAL, great ideas! BUT, i think that if the gold is going to go directly to guild bank..then i think it only right that Guild shud pay.....or as a founder...i would pay for my guidies to join that arena, since my guild is going to benefit.  Im sure other founders may agree...but we use guild gold for structure upkeep, why not for arena payment to ultimately win more gold or other upgrades...maybe have a choice, GUILD gold or PERSONAL gold entry fee?

#63 realking

realking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 18:28

Hi  again , i like your ideas Brice , i dont like the idea of poseing any restrictions to anyones arena use though ,, but would like to see it more randomely won as sometimes a lot of my gear is only excellent and not perfect , or sometimes i dont have fully forged gear in the events i want to win , and i really do want to win in those arenas i join.

i have evn mistakenly entered an arena event with improper gear where the limit was say 200 and i accidently had 220 gear equipped , penalized big time by a mistake that the system could have identified for me easily enough  , gggrrrrrr that makes me mad ...

i have invested in a wide range of gear for arena use for my fellow guildmates as well , and still find the delimas of no resource guides on the use and atrributes best used for the arenas , attack, defense . armor , and damage , , i have read all the wiki leanked rresource guides that say it all appears to be paper , rock and Scissors ,bs , if that were so , i would be winning more since i do the arenas often enough ...

the tier arenas dont sound good to me either.

the tokens , for bp spots and more max stamina, i like that , more rewards are always great and more enticeing, please involve more and more rewards ...

If the arenas get boreing it is because there are not enough wins for others , maybe the tier systemm will work, but i dont like the idea , i would just like to win more often , regardless if i am constantly loseing to the arena junkies that are always winning , if it is the gear issues that i am constantly loseing for , then it is wasteing my time and resources , if it is just tweaking the attributes then i would like solid references saying so ...these are things i think the programmers of this game should make available to us who are interested in winning ,

thank you for the earlier reply to my post ,,,

#64 drakos333

drakos333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 20:31

I MISS THE ARENA SO MUCH!!! USED TO LOVE PLAYING IT!!! NOW I BARELY EVEN LOOK AT IT!!! But I'm all for some changes that would revive things a little..

I think that a token system would work quite well whether it was used towards arena items/components or player upgrades, i would lean more towards player upgrades though as they may be more appealing to a wider range of players as it seems that most of the items/components that can be won in the arena and used to make other things have become pretty worthless these days... 

as for the categories such as beginner and lvl ranges... im not so sure about this one... i mean dont get me wrong, being a player with a decent amount of wins i would much rather win 500k - 1 mil gold, but at the same time i dont mind entering the tournies that pay out even 50-100k gold.. it all adds up!!! same goes with some of the gear/pots... as i stated before a lot of it isnt worth much but i wouldnt want to be held back from winning something if i found i needed it for something... 

a 72 hour tournament with various prizes/rewards seems like an intriguing idea if enough interest could be regained in the arena with the changes that are hopefully forthcoming... 

I would not recommend trying to add more moves as I think this would just put us further behind... when the last 3 moves were added (Poison, Fire, Freeze) They didnt really improve anything in my opinion, except for the once in a blue moon when freeze would activate while using defense and facing armor LOL... 

I think that things like Fatigue also need to be reexamined as I dont think it works properly but I could be wrong.

Hopefully with some minor tweaking and twerking ;) things will improve in the near future

HERE'S TO THE REVIVAL OF THE ARENA!!! 

#65 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:12

Biggest single thing stopping the arena from reviving is gear players are not going to spend $ to get gear given the state of the game. I gave away my sets now that I have returned I cannot get them back I have no desire to work at it.

#66 Shylark57

Shylark57

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:48

when the last 3 moves were added (Poison, Fire, Freeze) They didnt really improve anything in my opinion, except for the once in a blue moon when freeze would activate while using defense and facing armor LOL... 

I think that things like Fatigue also need to be reexamined as I dont think it works properly but I could be wrong.

Hopefully with some minor tweaking and twerking ;) things will improve in the near future

HERE'S TO THE REVIVAL OF THE ARENA!!! 

Maybe then these moves need changed as you say They seem rather useless to me....

#67 Brinmoth

Brinmoth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Australia

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:41

Hmm... I like the concept of team battles, could get a lot of interest if done right. But I think sorting out the specifics would be a discussion on it's own.

I don't think bringing in any new moves or changing existing ones is a good idea.

I believe it would add to an already steep learning curve for new players to the arena.

I for one want to hear what the good folks at HCS have to say about the suggestions in raised the OP.

Edited by Brinmoth, 15 April 2014 - 13:34.

#68 yodamus

yodamus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 14:32

those 3 moves, fire, poison, and freeze...were good when they first came out..made things much fairer and new ways to win...but the arena masters all complained that they were to powerful (because it caused them to lose, which they could not handle)..so they begged and begged for them to be nerfed and they did get nerfed and now they are very close to useless...put those moves back the way they were to begin with and maybe players would use them more often..fatigue also needs to be looked at, something not quite right about it...

Edited by yodamus, 15 April 2014 - 14:33.

#69 Tastria

Tastria

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 15 April 2014 - 16:31

LoL well Arena doesn't use Buffs or Stamina but yes it uses gear... Player  stats are set to 1 for each stat... And no guild structures or relics help..... Arena is really fun and is 50/50 Luck.. Just my little input we really do need some better incentives to get things going half the item awards are about useless.... 

Thanks Shylark for letting me know about that!  ( I had no idea, for all I knew, battle was conducted with enchanted pickaxes...)

And thanks to Yodamus for pm-ing me and giving me a brief idea of what to do and expect in the arena!

This gets me back to my original post:  From what I'm gathering here, there's plenty of room for improvement, but most of the posts here are from "old hands".  Again, what is needed is to attract the new players. (I was thrilled at the thought of actually playing FS without using stamina, in my mind this is a major attraction)  I've played FS constantly for 5 years, and I've learned more about the arena this week then in the previous 5 :wacko:   PVP seems to be the aspect that gets all the press.

I just looked at "arena" in the wiki....learned a bunch more....had no idea it was there..

What I'm getting at is, the arena apparently needs to be pushed more, even if it is flawed at the present time.  I can't be the only player who knows next to nothing about it, except the name.

Pity Yodamus, he actually volunteered to help me with getting into the arena :D

#70 Aidanjb93

Aidanjb93

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:46

This is the best possible arena update i heard of so far, especially since i try to get involved in every aspect of the game

#71 ludwigo

ludwigo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:36

Hallo

As a player from TOP 100 arena ranking i would like to reply to Brice as well

I agree with idea of tokens could be fine if we can afford upgrade for arena wins and i think also it will be not so hard to make some arena token store for actual arena items as it is in PVP

Regarding some arena ranges i am not sure . If to do something here should be some rookie range 1-150wins maybe and than rest of world . If you do arenas just for players with 750+ wins you have possibility only for maybe TOP250 arena players and lot of them are inactive .So instead of shorten arena tournament starting time this time will be increased .Its sometimes hard to see arena lvl 170+ takes 2days to start dont want to see also in range 500+.

Me as arena player would like to see shorter time of starting it means more arenas available per day and higher chance to win some .It will be motivating also for low players to join more and have fun with it

Lot of arena valuable items price decreased a lot and most of them is just scrap now so maybe it will be fine to reduce spawn of arena items to make it more valuable , instead of this HSC could increase number of gold tournaments

and at last if HSC will be reading this it will be fine to do something with bugs especially those in arenas where combat moves are allowed

thx a lot and good luck to all , thx to Brice to starting this topic aswell . See you in arena

#72 ludwigo

ludwigo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:40

those 3 moves, fire, poison, and freeze...were good when they first came out..made things much fairer and new ways to win...but the arena masters all complained that they were to powerful (because it caused them to lose, which they could not handle)..so they begged and begged for them to be nerfed and they did get nerfed and now they are very close to useless...put those moves back the way they were to begin with and maybe players would use them more often..fatigue also needs to be looked at, something not quite right about it...

Freeze is still one of best moves to beat armor setups when you use defence , fire is good for low lvl arenas and poison unusable ATm really , no meaning to use it anymore

#73 MrSiggs

MrSiggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 16:41

when freeze works 100 % of the time..something needs to get fixed here..I thought the roadmap said arena would get revamped in Feb.....still waiting....kind of tired throwing away gold on outcomes that defy the %s

#74 Mher

Mher

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Lebanon

Posted 16 April 2014 - 18:53

Hi all :):)  i've didn't read all the posts but i've taken some ideas and also i hope and i hope HCS will listen to us cause we are desperataly waiting for good improvements on arena since long time ago. I think it is very challenging part in entire fallensword.

THANK YOU BRICE AND ALL OTHER ARENA MATES FOR GIVING US THE OPPORTUNITY TO SCREAM AND SAY WE WANT CHANGES IN ARENA AND A GOOD ONES . :):) CHEERS.

I would like to see changes like the following:

1-  Winner and runner up tokens idea is mendetory :)  cause it is a encourages to play more and to challenge

2-  Raising the moves for example like entering enhancements moves. it would be good to have almost 33 moves, this way beginners at least will gain their medal and they will encouraged to play over 100 win and they will have more chances  ( we have now 16 moves)

3- I'm against that player can participate only a range cause so many times , the challenge and the fun are when you enter a higher level and win with unexpectable gear (Strategy)

4- It's good to see arenas for guild profits like money or GRP (cause  gvg are going down too in some point) cause after all arena is pvp fight, so you can represante your guild in a guild fight inside arena.

i'm not entering in details, in the way or in the rules of requested changes.

HCS we need changes, we need to make all players to participate in arenas and shake the whole game :D:D

Hats off for all arena mates  :)

#75 yodamus

yodamus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 19:24

when freeze works 100 % of the time..something needs to get fixed here..I thought the roadmap said arena would get revamped in Feb.....still waiting....kind of tired throwing away gold on outcomes that defy the %s

lol..first freeze does not work anywhere close to 100% of the time..i use it..i know..next, yes the roadmap did say feb12th...1 week after guild medals..but somehow when the roadmap got changed due to chrome crashing , arena got pushed back 3 months behind guild medals..not sure how this happened..most disappointing..so now we have to wait until may 12th..crossing fingers it does not get pushed back again..3rd, some outcomes should defy logic..or nobody would play, that did not have the top of the top of the line gear setups..arena needs that luck factor

#76 MrSiggs

MrSiggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 21:01

6 out of my last 7 arenas..first time freeze worked 6 out of 7 times..so not quite 100% but a far cry away from the 15% it is suppose to work..so the move % in the arena are not what they are suppose to be

#77 MrSiggs

MrSiggs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 21:04

and all of those freeze moves that were successfully done were all by the same player also..what a coincidence

#78 ludwigo

ludwigo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 21:29

and all of those freeze moves that were successfully done were all by the same player also..what a coincidence

last 4 arena fights 0/4 ice shard activated so really dont know how it should be 100% if by me its 0% rather decrease activation CA move by 50% than it will be fun .its pretty hard to fight vs 3 arnor setups in a row and each player has CA on dif place .....and activation rate 100% vs PA, PS,spins , CS so its pretty overpowered move i think :D .Ice shard is really only one way how to avoid CA cos deflect , dodge and CA makes from armor setups fortress without key and defence setups has no chance :D and dont mentioned 2% chance in combat moves setups event Hoof told its not possible , 2% should be kept only in non combat moves arenas

#79 Maj

Maj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 23:42

Any planned improvements should first concentrate on the following goals:

1. Increase arena participation --> speed up arena fill rate
- Make combat moves available on the fly
- Add in-game documentation
- Create grouped arena tournaments
(more details below)

2. Create a fair prize/reward system
These have been suggested in previous posts: 
- Finalist, semifinalist gets arena tokens to use in arena shop

3. Overhaul the existing in-game Arena / Arena Moves interface
- Minimize postbacks/Ajaxify pages

Any additional features such as 'increased moves' should be done after the above features have been polished.

-----

With the goal of increasing arena participation, these are the additional improvements I'd like to see in arena:

1. Do away with earning combat moves and make them available to all players by default. I don't see the point why new players should earn them piecemeal as this only slows down their full participation and possibly eliminate their interest in arena. I see some players earn less than 10 arena moves and stop there. Getting them to jump right into the action will increase arena participation, thus quickly filling arena matches.

2. Add an easy-to-understand in-game help/FAQ with detailed info on combat moves, arena mechanics, etc. Demystifying arena will somehow eliminate one of the barriers to entry to arena participation.

3. Create grouped arena tournaments based on arena wins so new players can have a chance to compete against players with similar arena experience. There will be five tabs, while the 'PvP Moves' tab will be removed:

Group I - Arena Wins 1-49, players with 50 or more wins cannot enter

Group II - Arena Wins 1-99, players with 100 or more wins cannot enter

Group III - Arena Wins 1-249, players with 250 or more wins cannot enter

Group IV - Arena Wins 1-499, players with 500 or more wins cannot enter

Group V - Free for All, all players can participate regardless of number of arena wins

The groups/arena wins listed may need tweaking, but the idea is there.

Edited by Maj, 17 April 2014 - 01:18.

#80 Brice

Brice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:27

Maj and Mher...Great post's!! And MrSiggs totally agree that sometimes freeze will activate like a mad man for some odd reason,but I usually only get it to work for me about 1 out of 5 times(guess I'm not one of the lucky ones...LMAO)and Ludwigo like your post also buddy!!! See this is why I started this Forum...keep the opinions and suggestions coming all!!! There's obviously a lot to be said about this aspect of the game that we all enjoy participating in...looking forward to hearing more from all of you regardless if it's positive or negative ...both sides must be heard :D

Edited by Brice, 17 April 2014 - 02:29.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)
Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: