• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 MSCruz

MSCruz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 00:32

Today's quest was a Legendary to invent 150 items as posted in https://forums.hunte...=15#entry972343

This quest was awesome. If I was going to buy a new Combat Set it would cost me 5 FSP. If I was going to buy 5 FSP in the Marketplace it would cost me 1M+ gold. So I decided to try and complete the task. The only problem: I was unsure if with full stamina I would be able to, as for the former similar DQ I spent a lot of stamina.

I've tried some places indicated by the community, but the best place seems to be Leghra Fortress (Level 2). There is only one creature with a high drop rate: 10%. So, I spent 30K gold with a package (Inventor, Inventor II, Extractor, Extractor II, Light Foot and Resource Finder) level 150. Plus, used two potions I composed (LF150 and CO150) and bought four AM150. Finally, buffed myself with Unbreakable 144 and burned 1.2K stamina.

Net gain: 100+Kgold, 1 combat set, 1 iridescente chest (Potion of Enchantment) and a lot of SE fragments. Really very profitable!

Some Inventing DQ are very different and you "pay" to complete them. Comparing with Arena DQ, they are much worse. And this is where the problem lies. Some Common don't pay the price. I am trying to give these not-so-appealing-at-first-sight-DQ a chance, but at the end they always confirm the first impression. I would like the Cows to take a closer look at that.

I do like the DQ and I am going to complete most of them, at least to learn more about the game.

Thanks for this quest. Send me more.

:D

dilbert-input.png?resize=538%2C241

"There's no such thing as constructive criticism" by Tony Schwartz for Harvard Business Review

#62 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,819 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:52

That's the kinda posts I like to see! People spreading the wealth as far as knowledge is concerned. Awesome! 

It is worth remembering though, not all Daily Quests are gonna give you net gain. They are designed to give you something to do and, when people figure out the best way to do them (post above) they can be quite good in differing ways.

#63 cucullainn

cucullainn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 00:55

Ok, I have a question. If I have a PvP DQ? I have to hit 3 active players. What is considered active? Less than 7 days, or less than 30 days?

#64 Bluetail

Bluetail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Badge

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:15

If you go to their profile and it says 'inactive account' then it wont count. I think anywhere in between will do fine cant really remember, you can keep it within one week if you wanna be on the safe side. As long as you can potentially get prestige (ignoring cooldowns) for it and theres Xp loss then it should count.

Edited by Achub, 24 November 2016 - 04:16.

Insanity is when the sobbing slowly turns into laughter...

#65 Calista

Calista

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:22

At least for the daily quests,  you can hit anyone who has been active in the last 30 days. I've tested it.

#66 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,819 posts
  • Badge

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:57

Ok, I have a question. If I have a PvP DQ? I have to hit 3 active players. What is considered active? Less than 7 days, or less than 30 days?

What Achub and Calista said.

#67 cucullainn

cucullainn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 13:01

Yes thanks to all of you. I should have said that we figured it out. Only glad to get confirmation :)

#68 Pythia

Pythia

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 18:29

See, see, this if for DQ comments.  :)

#69 cucullainn

cucullainn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 19:25

See, see, this if for DQ comments. :)

I still can't believe ppl are posting to the List thread. Well I can't believe two are still posting to the thread lol ;)

#70 Pythia

Pythia

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 19:26

lol I can't believe a lot of things, but that one have no problem believing.

#71 cucullainn

cucullainn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 19:49

What else is sad is that, after Reserve stamina was given out as a reward for the DQ's. Was hoping to have saved up some Reserve stamina for the 2x event. I've only had 4 DQ's that have offered Reserve stamina as a reward. Was only able to complete 2 of them. Already used the reserve stam from 1. So yeah. Yet another let down

#72 Pythia

Pythia

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 20:09

I've managed to save up over 1k of reserve. :)   I'm really looking forward to this next 2x.  :)

#73 Davros81

Davros81

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 16 December 2016 - 20:23

Lucky you, I haven't have the quests to be able to gain that much reserve stamina...

#74 rowbeth

rowbeth

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 20:33

Ive had at least 5k reserve stam from the DQs. Only had one Legendary

#75 Pythia

Pythia

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 21:02

Wonder where the shake up DQ dispenser can be found, and if a good shake would mix up more.

#76 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 16 December 2016 - 21:36

I've had a grand total of 420 reserve stam - and that's from doing EVERY SINGLE DQ so far - guess I'm unlucky, not getting those ones :)

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#77 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 23:54

This whole discussion about net return etc is why I was opposed to dailies being added in the first place.

Entitled players just keep asking and expecting more for less effort.. and sadly it keeps being given.

Agreed, and I think looking for "net return" is missing the entire point.

The "worst" thing about it is the flaw in the analysis. Players are looking at the "challenge" and comparing stam costs to the "reward".

They are being far too simplistic in the equation. 

I have been able to complete DQs by doing what I would normally. To stave off some possible retorts to that: I have also adjusted when I do things based on the fact that it coincides with something I was planning on doing.

Many of the rewards will be beneficial to those near max stam. Level matters not. If you do not have the time to do a hunt or whatever, you can use stam, otherwise wasted, to get any reward. In other cases, you can burn some stam for a reward that will help make sure you don't overflow at the time you plan on doing something.

Current stam rewards can have benefits even though it "could" lead you to overflow. 

In other words, there are tons of variables in the "cost" to "reward" equation that are not taken into account by simply assuming that "cost" is equivalent to stam used. 

On my break down items quest, I had full stam. So I did a regular hunt. After my stam got too low for that, I killed doubler and used the rest of my stam on rats natives and snow leopards. With 14k stam, I barely broke down a third of what I needed. Granted, I got a hunt in, so it wasn't a total waste, but not being able to complete my task was a huge disappointment. I won't be attempting that particular task again.

BP: your point is excellent and it's exactly the idea. You need to prioritize. The task as you tried it, to hunt and complete a breakdown DQ with the method you used didn't work.

Hopefully, you learned how to make it work. 

The situation involves your time and the reward and there are many strategies involved in that too numerous to mention. 

In the most simplistic form, I've found that the two most prominent situations when I've been in the same sitch are the following (they are by no means the only strategy for all cases):

1) Do the DQ in question first, and then proceed to the hunt.

2) Do the hunt first and stop your doubler in order to finish the quest. This def requires a lot of thinking, but after a couple repetitions can really get you the experience you need to do it smoothly.

As an add-on here, I'll suggest something that won't work for everyone, but I found helpful to realize. If you plan to hunt on a particular day and have the time, you might check out your DQ reward. Current stam ones are extremely interesting in that sense. I tend to check my DQ and if it's current stam, I do it first and complete but DON'T collect. I then let stam gain do it's thing. I then start my hunt close to max stam and collect the finished DQ current stam reward whenever it's "relevant".

Just to be clear: my position is not asking for more for less effort; it is asking for something for some effort. I am very happy for those gains to be small.

My position is also that the game is worse off if lots of players simply choose to ignore all these DQs.

I think DQs give something for some effort. It's up to players to decide if it's worthwhile for them personally and/or make the effort to see how to capitalize based on all their personal factors/variables.

It's hard for me to see how those players deciding to (and I'll use the word) skip a DQ somehow makes the game "worse off". 

In my perfect world, there will be some thought and feedback involved. When would this be good for me? Hey, I better check out how to best do this when it comes up again. How can I use this DQ to my advantage if/when it comes up. What should I do to prepare? etc. 

Of course, I'm well aware that peeps aren't too into the effort thing. But my take is that DQs are a lot simpler than arenas. Thinking out a strategy does have more variables, but once learned, I think DQs may be even easier.

Best example I've actually seen at work (strategies abound) was a frag buyer of mine. Caught the player with their bp full and he said, "yeah, waiting on a break down DQ". 

They are designed to give you something to do and, when people figure out the best way to do them (post above) they can be quite good in differing ways.

Quoted this part just to remind peeps that there's a thread for suggestions exactly on how to do specific DQs.

At least for the daily quests,  you can hit anyone who has been active in the last 30 days. I've tested it.

Did not know that, and makes no sense to me, lol.

How and why did the 7 day rule get thrown out the window? Sorry, rhetorical question.

Thanks for the info Calista.

#78 rowbeth

rowbeth

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:10

Egami, you are picking up a (nearly) 7-week old post on a feature that is only 15 weeks old, that changed substantially after 4 weeks, and where the community was still debating principles that the Cows had accepted and embedded into their changes after 4 weeks. The points that needed to be made then (such as the warning about what make the game "worse off") are no longer relevant, in large part because the Cows acted quickly, and the community has now had time to understand and adapt to how they acted.

Nevertheless, since discussion is so much fun, I have responded to your comments below.

Agreed, and I think looking for "net return" is missing the entire point.

I think, Egami, that you are missing their point, which is that everyone plays for their own goals, and things that detract from those goals aren't what they want to do. Your also missing your own point, in that you go on to argue there is a "net return", its just that people aren't calculating it properly.

The "worst" thing about it is the flaw in the analysis. Players are looking at the "challenge" and comparing stam costs to the "reward".

They are being far too simplistic in the equation. 

I have been able to complete DQs by doing what I would normally. To stave off some possible retorts to that: I have also adjusted when I do things based on the fact that it coincides with something I was planning on doing.

Many of the rewards will be beneficial to those near max stam. Level matters not. If you do not have the time to do a hunt or whatever, you can use stam, otherwise wasted, to get any reward. In other cases, you can burn some stam for a reward that will help make sure you don't overflow at the time you plan on doing something.

Current stam rewards can have benefits even though it "could" lead you to overflow. 

In other words, there are tons of variables in the "cost" to "reward" equation that are not taken into account by simply assuming that "cost" is equivalent to stam used.

I think you have the same problem here that you see in others' forum posts, Egami. Not all that many people have explained their analysis, so it is very brave of you to suggest they've all got it wrong. I have put my cost-analysis out there, and it certainly goes beyond mere stam cost. It is all about what I am looking for in the game just now, and whether each type of DQ advances, detracts, or is ambivalent to those goals.

Also, your suggestions are themselves a bit limited in their scope. If you only hunt once every two weeks, then planning your hunt around DQs is not an option for 93% of your DQs. If you hunt daily, then fair enough; but many people hunt even less frequently than fortnightly. Also, suggesting that one can do breakdown quests while hunting is true at your level, but from level 1600ish you stop getting drops from almost all levels, and so doing break-down quests whil hunting that ceases to be viable as a cost-less strategy.

Then there is the fact that (for many players), DQs take you away from your natural playground, and the stam-cost of getting there and back and (if you happen to be near EOC with master realms not active) the RL time-cost of having to walk through many realms to get back to your natural playground (and there have been times when that has been >100 levels of walking), can be a really substantial cost, in terms of detracting from one's personal goals/enjoyment.

I think the situation is much more complicated that you are suggesting, and that many people really are doing a complex analysis when they decide some quests are not worth it. And in the end, if they do not see net benefit from doing the DQs, then they will ignore them.

It's hard for me to see how those players deciding to (and I'll use the word) skip a DQ somehow makes the game "worse off".

Again, an interesting perspective. I actually referred to lots of players ignoring all the DQs.

If a few players skip all the DQs, then so what? If all players skip a few DQs, then again, no harm done (and I have suggested in a recent thread that "a few DQs" probably just needs to be less than 50%---I've skipped about 30% of mine, and see the package as a useful incentive.)

But if lots of players were skipping all of them, then the DQs would not be succeeding in the Cows aim of promoting daily activity, the Cows would have spent significant coding time in something that didn't achieve its aim, a lot of players would see this as another example of attempts to change the game that didn't work... All of this would make the game "worse off"

HOWEVER, this is where my November 4 post should have been left in the ground. It was a part of a discussion that had been needed, that the Cows had accepted and acted upon, and that they community was still convincing themselves that the Cows had accepted those principles and embedded them in the quests.

The discussion hasn't yet resolved in relation to the second stage quests (inventing and breakdown; the only ones still in their original form), but it would seem (my impression, though I have no data other than the absence of lots of complaints in the forum) that most players have been doing most of their DQs since the Cows revamped the rewards for the original DQs. So most players are now seeing a suitable balance of cost/reward for enough of the DQs to keep them happy.

#79 cucullainn

cucullainn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 13:37

Wow! I was just pulling everyone's leg. Stirring up trouble, by saying I wish I had more reserve stamina. :P

#80 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 15:07

Thanks row for post #78. Lots of good stuff there, as usual. 

Plus, I will say row is great as a player that has a handle on and bothers to inform the community on the math calcs.

And further... dang time out of context, lol. 

Again, I cannot in any way, shape or form talk about the issues EOC face. 

For "walking issues", I suggest Teleport. 

And row is right on about everybody having their own things they want to do, blah, blah, blah. 

That's pretty much the whole point and I expect it to be in hardcore focus during this time. Actually think it already is with the new Titan and quests (on the last bit, seem to think nobody noticed that Forest of Yule is open until Jan 6).

I will say that I didn't mean to suggest that "everybody got it wrong". It's always going to depend on the player and none of us are exactly the same. 

The point was the critique of people thinking that because they can't or don't want to bother at some point, then the prize isn't worthwhile. 

Even those of us who have skipped DQs may find a point in time where it reappears and we do it.

More to the point, just because it isn't good for me, doesn't me it's not for others. 

Again, row... great post.

@cucu... yeah, I skipped that part. I have 3.5k reserve thanks to DQ. Think I had one legendary on that note.

Really though, it wasn't your fault. I responded to everything since I bothered to come back and looked at the post again. 

Hence, row's good point that "things have changed". 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: