#61 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 21 September 2016 - 22:51

I think the cows have made a rod for their own back now ... Overpowered potions, easily attainable super-stat gear and buffs that just render the "ordinary" into the "extraordinary".

Whilst I'd PERSONALLY like content to be harder and more challenging ('cos heaven knows, not even having to look at stats these days isn't exactly a challenge), I think there'd also be a lot of people complaining if that happened.

It's a catch-22 now - harder content = demands for better gear, and better gear = demands for harder content.

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#62 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 22 September 2016 - 00:06

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree... I don't know the history of Xinderoth when it was new but I guess it was horrible because I really disliked it when I went through the "erased" version :). Since I don't know the original version, I'm not sure how close my suggestion is but were the Xindy mobs mega hard? When I did it, I just remembered the mobs being far and few in between with a ridiculous quest arc and that wasn't what I was asking for although I guess that would be cool too even though I absolutely hated Xindy.

BG works hard and creates new content... we fly through it in minutes with some folks not even looking at the critters (I always do and I have noticed repeating art but it's all good). It's unsustainable. Let's try a few God levels and see what happens. If there is an outcry, adjust... EOC'rs always had it harder than everyone else so why not? What would be your long sighted suggestion on this?

I'm unsure why xindy was unpopular. AzUK was the first through it, as he was the only 400+ at the time. I believe the biggest hurdle was all the walking between beginning and end, and more often than not, people would either underlevel on 399 beasties or xp gain through it. I actually enjoyed the questline, but I'm borderline insane anyways, and I had xp gained through it whilst on an extended retirement period and so was +500 at the time. I've been told karthak will drive me crazy, but looking at the quest details I believe that the costs for all that inventing will be the major deterrent for me. I don't see that as a challenge, merely a nuisance. I will follow my Finnish friend's advice, underlevel through, and go back someday when I have gold and time to burn....

I will likely never reach the end of the rainbow here. I commend those that have, and I hope that somehow hoof and the gang find a way to give you guys some meat to continue your journey. imho, the major malfunction is that you CAN breeze through the new stuff as it's added, which of course leaves you hanging with nothing better to do than a tiny DQ that disappoints you as well....

Personally, I think "God Levels" may be just the thing to spark new life into the game for those that have gone before..... Not sure how it would work, but BG is a smart cookie, he'll figure it out somehow, won't he?

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#63 grimnok

grimnok

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:50

Xinderoth was terrible because there was minimal AM, doublerx4, and there's only about 20-30 mobs per map. So... lots of walking

Edited by grimnok, 22 September 2016 - 01:51.

#64 rowbeth

rowbeth

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:43

Actually, grimnok, there were lots of mobs. The real problem was that they all congregated at the far end of vry big maps.

The real problem was the respawn algorithm (now fixed) which didn't work for such large maps. They started with a random distribution (so AxUK had it easy), but completely random spawning meant that over time they cleared away from stairways and the places players could easily access and kept moving further and further away. I spent a few levels wlaking around looking for non-existant creatures before eventually realising that if I headed first for the furthest point away from the stairs then I would find square after square with 20-30 creatures on it.

This did mean that the effect of Xindy was too much walking, and half the quests seemed to triple that amount of walking.

I went back much much  later to complete the quests I couldn't face at the time, and found them so much better when the creatures were spread more evenly.

And BadPenny - I guess you are about to discover Karthak. I found the quest line a good one. The cost of all the inventing was certainly a gold-drain. The one thing I didn't like was that I had to keep going backwards and fowards over several maps to start/finish each quest (again, too much irrelevant walking).

#65 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:09

Karthak was, probably, my favourite quest arc of all of 'em ...

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#66 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:57

on a sidenote, wasnt there somewhere a content roadmap sticky topic?

where did that go?
or it's not used any more?

Not used anymore.

Will that include the missing quests from 2500-2600 (the progression / conclusion of the twisted keys etc)

No.

Karthak was, probably, my favourite quest arc of all of 'em ...

Karthak was brutal but good fun.

#67 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:19

Pardoux, on 22 Sept 2016 - 06:12, said:snapback.png

Will that include the missing quests from 2500-2600 (the progression / conclusion of the twisted keys etc)

BigGrim, on 22 Sept 2016 - 19.57, said:
No.

Then, given you've been working on 'em for over a year now, they must be pretty darned impressive when you finish 'em :P

#68 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:22

Then, given you've been working on 'em for over a year now, they must be pretty darned impressive when you finish 'em :P

I've not been working on them. No where have I said I am. I'll get to them when I can.

#69 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:25

I've not been working on them. No where have I said I am. I'll get to them when I can.

I beg to differ ...

https://forums.hunte...e=2#entry944569

#70 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:44

A post from over a year ago, where I've said since that I'm not working on them? Because I'm trying to keep up with everything else? Enough please.

#71 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 13:14

"Blah"

What can you expect when FS is ran by one person he's spread thin. He spends a majority of his time on the forums alone. The biggest underlying fault of HCS not giving enough resources to their success games.

Edited by EpicPiety, 22 September 2016 - 13:18.

#72 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 September 2016 - 13:19

He spends a majority of his time on the forums alone.

Uh, no I don't. Please don't assume you know where my time in the game is spent.

#73 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 13:21

Uh, no I don't. Please don't assume you know where my time in the game is spent.

Wasn't mean't to be a bad thing but do what you will. I was under the assumption it was part of your job to spend time on the forums. 

#74 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 September 2016 - 13:53

It is. But I do not spend a "majority of my time" here. I also deal with Support, Content Creation, Event Creation/Updates and myriad other odds and sods.

#75 Mzzery

Mzzery

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 15:45

I might be the only one at EOC who has no issues with the lack of new content... I never manage to get my stamina up enough to hunt anyway. 

og3DxyP.gif

#76 hades8840

hades8840

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 16:07

I might be the only one at EOC who has no issues with the lack of new content... I never manage to get my stamina up enough to hunt anyway. 

i aint bothered either i can do a couple hundred levels twice a year eoc is over rated now doesnt hold the same pride it once did heck unless your gonna go 30 lvls past content its hard to hold onto first place

#77 Mzzery

Mzzery

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 16:19

i aint bothered either i can do a couple hundred levels twice a year eoc is over rated now doesnt hold the same pride it once did heck unless your gonna go 30 lvls past content its hard to hold onto first place

Exactly :)

og3DxyP.gif

#78 Pythia

Pythia

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 16:24

I am so blissfully happy!!! :) :) :)

I am not frustrated at all by FS. lol

:P  :P 

Edited by Pythia, 22 September 2016 - 16:24.

#79 Mzzery

Mzzery

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 17:51

I am so blissfully happy!!! :) :) :)

I am not frustrated at all by FS. lol

:P  :P

I have one frustration.... it has nothing to do with being at EOC tho... I am just frustrated that I never get any reserve stamina dailies, and almost only "kill x amount of these creatures", and "travel x amount of tiles".... that's the only frustration I have tho   :P  :D

og3DxyP.gif

#80 Egami

Egami

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 23:02

EOC'rs always had it harder than everyone else so why not? What would be your long sighted suggestion on this?

My longer-term outlook on that is just that making things "harder" for current EOCers is not a solution or beneficial to anything. 

Let me step back: Obviously, things get easier across the board as time moves on. 

That seems like a natural progression to me and I'm not here to be a grandpa walking 10 miles in the snow. 

I do actually fully support the idea of forcing players to think, but MY experience has shown that FS players aren't really interested in that when it comes to hunting. 

The 400 Xinderoth idea caused a good number of people to quit. Personally, I XP leveled until 408 and then "mostly" cruised through. Nowadays, it's cake. 

My thought is that no matter how "god-like" you try and make it... people will complain and then HCS will backstep and create something to make it even easier. 

Grant it, I'm completely against the idea that pots are somehow "OPed" but that's another topic. 

All that said, please understand, that I'm NOT personally against the idea. I think that making creatures defeatable only via two hits is a great idea... as long as that stands from current EOC onwards and upwards. I have a caveat since there is the whole "OP" discussion, but that's not really relevant here, in my eye.

The major point of my discussion is that this entire thread is dealing with issues that affect well under 50% of the FS population. If you skim my posts you'll get that idea better. 

But to be clear:

OP said that there are 170 players "close to" EOC. Now there are 304 players online. Throughout this post I've laughingly assumed that all 170 were online. 

I get OP's frustration. I don't want to downplay that. 

But I do believe what more than a few have posted here: Content should focus on quality, not quantity.

HCS found itself in a crux to create content for players. I do appreciate it and think they've done a great job given the circumstances. 

However, there are lots of caveats. People keep complaining about the lack of quests, what-have-you. I fully agree with that. 

I'm not even at 1600 yet, but am definitely not looking forward to the 1600-1800 stretch without common items for fragging. 

I'd rather see creative content made that avoids the issues that come up over and over. 

Of course, that's a dream as people will always complain. But my view, and I admit, I am far from EOC, is to entice the FS Community to do things.

I do not think that creating content for content's sake, especially when it affects, at best, 50% of the FS population (and I'd argue far less) is a relevant concern.

I "believe" that HCS is making an effort with DQs, etc, to readjust player interest away from that EOC goal. Personally, I hope it works, and not simply because i realized long ago that it was irrelevant to me, for what it's worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: