Photo

Upcoming additions.

• Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Doubler kills count to the Global Event total? (428 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Doubler kills count to the Global Event total?

1. Voted Yes! (280 votes [65.42%])

Percentage of vote: 65.42%

2. Voted No! (148 votes [34.58%])

Percentage of vote: 34.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 26 July 2012 - 20:55

Correct me if I'm wrong. Using a doubler(of any level) will do nothing more than save time and a bit of stam spent walking around. Not taking the stam saved by walking in to account wouldn't you get the same number of kills with a doubler as without due to the fact that more stam will be used per kill? Isn't this the same as the increase in XP gained per kill using a doubler? Haven't studies shown that a doubler vs. no doubler will get you the same amount of XP in the end(a wee bit more XP w/doubler due to steps saved)? I'm all for it as it will get people in and out of the hunt faster thus lightening the load on the servers. No one is going to benefit greatly over another using a doubler.

Was reading through this and was beginning to wonder if anyone was gonna point that out.

A single kill without doubler uses, for instance, 1 stamina ... a single kill with doubler 175 would be 4 kills for 4 stamina use. NO difference ...

#82 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 26 July 2012 - 20:57

Correct me if I'm wrong. Using a doubler(of any level) will do nothing more than save time and a bit of stam spent walking around. Not taking the stam saved by walking in to account wouldn't you get the same number of kills with a doubler as without due to the fact that more stam will be used per kill? Isn't this the same as the increase in XP gained per kill using a doubler? Haven't studies shown that a doubler vs. no doubler will get you the same amount of XP in the end(a wee bit more XP w/doubler due to steps saved)? I'm all for it as it will get people in and out of the hunt faster thus lightening the load on the servers. No one is going to benefit greatly over another using a doubler.

Was reading through this and was beginning to wonder if anyone was gonna point that out.

A single kill without doubler uses, for instance, 1 stamina ... a single kill with doubler 175 would be 4 kills for 4 stamina use. NO difference ...

You don't really mean this do you? I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious.

#83 Sakuliver

Sakuliver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 20:59

my feeling says no to it. The total amount of kills will be much higher, so if the numbers to qualify for the rewards stay the same we will easily get the max. Ofcourse we're greedy but it would not be a challenge anymore, and if I remember correctly the highest reward was 10 of the chests? How many lower level players are going to have the space to store these all?

#84 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:01

my feeling says no to it. The total amount of kills will be much higher, so if the numbers to qualify for the rewards stay the same we will easily get the max. Ofcourse we're greedy but it would not be a challenge anymore, and if I remember correctly the highest reward was 10 of the chests? How many lower level players are going to have the space to store these all?

rewards stay in item mailbox for 30 days :) so plenty of time for newer players to use them

#85 dragon1234

dragon1234

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Badge

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:04

This is stupid and shouldn't even be asked, what the hell is the point of having a global quest/defense if its affected by doubler? Its not like doubler increase the amount of creature at the spot, all it does is multiply the gold gained/exp gained from killing that single creature.

For something that depends on the kill total, doubler should never affect it(Titan for example) or else you guys might as well give everyone 10 chests and skip the actual killing part.

dragon1234 - Ranger - lv 45

NoExercise - Tank - lv 45

DragonStorage - Storage - lv 13

#86 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:07

You don't really mean this do you? I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious.

Yes, I meant it - if the kill count increment is of concern, just limit the doubler to say x4 - EVERYONE has access to that one way or another. Anyone can use any level of doubler, but it will only count at x4.

There would, of course, be stamina savings in moving around by using doubler, but even that could be catered for - make the 4x doubler count as 3 kills, not 4....

#87 Zid96

Zid96

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:08

Sound like a good idea. I dont see any down side. Will speed up the killing. If you feel like useing your stam to be kill them any way. So no big. I vote yes

#88 vamunre

vamunre

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:11

So then just make it so that you can’t use a regular doubler, maybe a bazaar only potion cheap enough for everybody to buy. And then everybody will have the same advantage. Even if it is only 2x, that is better than nothing. I Prefer some options, but will take what I can get.

The little gold that is coming into the game, also leaves it as well on the potion.

#89 RebornJedi

RebornJedi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:13

1 kill = 1 creature.

Doubler "At skill level 50+, 2x Stamina usage in combat in return for 2x gold/xp...." and these global quests aren't for xp/gold gain.

Kill streak doesn't increase with doubler so why should count in the Global quest?

I agree with this. If we start allowing doubler to count as extra kills then it should also affect your kill streak. To make it count as an extra kill is a bastardization of what the skill really is. It's getting more XP/Gold for using additional stam not getting extra kills.

I understand the ideas being put forth regarding making the load on the servers lighter, faster kill totals, greater rewards, etc. but in my opinion it is not a good idea.

word..

#90 fs_johe71

fs_johe71
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:15

To put it through on the Global quests, SHOULD mean regular quests get the same treatment. As I'm in the middle of one that is kill 300 realm A, kill 350 realm C, kill 400 realm E, I'd appreciate this swap-over before the weekend so I can keep 1 Doubler type rolling through my hunt and not be forced to sub-level or kill one at a time. :roll:

and to be consistent doubler should work on titans...

and of course if doubler actually count the creature as that many creatures insted of counting it as 1 with extra xp and gold (as it works today)... you should be able to get that many drops from it as well...

or perhaps the cows shouldn't open that can of worms... and leave the global events as they have been so far

(and as mentioned, it also must affect kill streak)

#91 DragonLord

DragonLord

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • Australia

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:26

To put it through on the Global quests, SHOULD mean regular quests get the same treatment. As I'm in the middle of one that is kill 300 realm A, kill 350 realm C, kill 400 realm E, I'd appreciate this swap-over before the weekend so I can keep 1 Doubler type rolling through my hunt and not be forced to sub-level or kill one at a time. :roll:

and to be consistent doubler should work on titans...

and of course if doubler actually count the creature as that many creatures insted of counting it as 1 with extra xp and gold (as it works today)... you should be able to get that many drops from it as well...

or perhaps the cows shouldn't open that can of worms... and leave the global events as they have been so far

(and as mentioned, it also must affect kill streak)

Kill streak counts for exactly diddly and squat other than "bragging rights"

As for having the kill count in regular hunts be affected in the same way, I think you're comparing water to wine, chalk to cheese.

The "monsters" in the global hunt are (or have been) L1 and thus offer almost nothing in the way of gold or xp - which is completely different to a regular hunt. Heck, even remove the gold / xp from the monsters in the global event :)

As for titan hunting - there's still plenty that needs fixing with that before altering other aspects ;)

#92 Leos3000

Leos3000

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:26

Killing 1 at a time was quite painful in the last event since the critters were taken out of the very small realms... but using the current doubler might not be fair to all...I would suggest using this next event as a prelude to all events and having the critters drop potions that are similar to doubler, but apply a multiplier for global quest kills on a magnitude of 10x kills. speeds things up for those of us on smaller time frames, keeps the multiplier on a reasonable level, and evens the playing field as far as availability.

But if nothing is done to speed up the killing process I see global events losing popularity due to the painful process of killing so many creatures over many hours.

#93 GoHalos

GoHalos

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:29

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

#94 uscx

uscx

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:29

Make an epic quest in Krul that rewards you with a potion of x2 doubler. it can be used any time but is the only one that will multiply global quest kills. Please do not make it bound.

...or you could make the global quest guys drop ingredients that make doubler potions x2, x3, x4 that everyone can make if they so choose. These would probably need to be bound.

(x2)"Potion of Global Coverage"
(x3)"Potion of Global Take Over"
(x4)"Potion of Global Dominance"

Thoughts?

#95 Eleonora2

Eleonora2

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:31

The way I see it, if doubler counts as a multiplier, it will need to be at least 10,000 kills

What was the duration again? I think it was 4 days? Assume 100 stam gain per hour, gives 9600 stam in 4 days. So a large group of players will have no chance to qualify. Is that really what you want?

Allowing doubler will increase kills/stam but more importantly it will make things in real life terms a lot easier. Imho it's about how many ingame resources a player is willing to invest NOT how many hours a player can afford to play FS per day

#96 Ali

Ali

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:37

I'm for one kill, one credit, regardless of doubler.

It's not really a question of "who can buy the biggest doubler." Just about anybody can afford a doubler appropriate to his or her level of stamina, and someone with, say, 2000 stam is not going to get much use out of a loyalty doubler. Furthermore, nobody with a low max stam really has a chance at the top 100 anyway, doubler or no doubler.

The question, from where I sit, is what you (the Cows) want to reward: Stam expenditure or effort?

Allowing doubler to affect the number of kills credited rewards stam donation at the expense of effort. You might as well create a form, allow people to enter the amount of stam they want to donate, and eliminate the mobs completely.

The whole point to these events has been the EFFORT people put into accruing those kills. It takes time and effort to rack up 15,000 kills. It takes a lot of, let's face it, boring, repetitive, mind-numbing activity, which is why the top 100 medals are actually meaningful. These people put real EFFORT into it, for the good of the community. It's just going to cheapen the medal, if we know that for those 15,000 credited kills, the leaders just killed 1,000 actual creatures and used a high doubler.

Furthermore, the person who killed the same 1,000 creatures, but with no doubler or a lower level doubler, is going to feel quite reasonably cheated. He put in the same effort killing 1000 creatures. Why shouldn't he receive the same recognition?

Bad, bad, BAD idea. Please don't give into this one.

#97 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:40

The way I see it, if doubler counts as a multiplier, it will need to be at least 10,000 kills

What was the duration again? I think it was 4 days? Assume 100 stam gain per hour, gives 9600 stam in 4 days. So a large group of players will have no chance to qualify. Is that really what you want?

Allowing doubler will increase kills/stam but more importantly it will make things in real life terms a lot easier. Imho it's about how many ingame resources a player is willing to invest NOT how many hours a player can afford to play FS per day

you should read my entire post :) I'm also saying that someone with a DB 1200, shouldn't be able to 'qualify' in under a min (which is still close to doable with ~10k kills required). There's a balance.

I wish BG the world of luck with the pandora's box he's chosen to open with this thread ;)

#98 MummRa

MummRa

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:54

Clearly some people are not getting this and/or trying to push their weight around....

Using doubler will not by itself create more kills it will ONLY allow a player to use stamina faster.

Therefore, in the event the Cows, hopefully, decide to let Doubler have an effect.., there is NO reason to increase the minimum kills....

#99 Ali

Ali

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:54

Killing 1 at a time was quite painful in the last event...

Yes, and that's the point, isn't it? Accomplishing anything worthwhile takes effort. If someone is not willing to expend that effort, they don't deserve the reward.

I would suggest using this next event as a prelude to all events and having the critters drop potions that are similar to doubler, but apply a multiplier for global quest kills on a magnitude of 10x kills. speeds things up for those of us on smaller time frames, keeps the multiplier on a reasonable level, and evens the playing field as far as availability.

What would be the point? All that will do is force the Cows to move the goalposts. "OK, we wanted you all to kill 2,000,000 creatures per level. But now we'll give you a 10x doubler and you have to kill 20,000,000 per level." It would require the same amount of effort. It's playing games with math.

But if nothing is done to speed up the killing process I see global events losing popularity due to the painful process of killing so many creatures over many hours.

Maybe. In which case, they may need to rethink the concept. But it hasn't happened yet, so any fiddling around with the rules at this point would be at best premature.

#100 JBKing89

JBKing89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Badge

Posted 26 July 2012 - 21:55

I vote no, simply for logic: 1 kill = 1 kill, doesn't matter if you use doubler.

What is the point of showing more kills? There's always people complaining about too many high powered potions out there, where are those complaints? More kills would mean more high powered potions.

IMO, people should have to do the work to earn the potions. Besides a "win" button, do we get an "easy" button now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: