Photo

PvP suggestion

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like this idea of gaining XP via PvP? (60 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like this idea of gaining XP via PvP?

1. Voted Yes (28 votes [46.67%])

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

2. Voted No (22 votes [36.67%])

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

3. Voted Are you crazy? (10 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Necra

Necra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 14:31

if you could look back to when it all changes to pvp started u would see that nearly all of them were in compromise to benefit the non pvp'rs. its easy to stand here today criticizing ideas when the history of it all is not taken into perspective.

#82 Khanate

Khanate

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 14:36

if you could look back to when it all changes to pvp started u would see that nearly all of them were in compromise to benefit the non pvp'rs. its easy to stand here today criticizing ideas when the history of it all is not taken into perspective.

Like what?

Creating PvP? Adding PvP rating? Adding rewards for PvP? Adding prestige? Extending the hit range from 5 to 10 levels? Adding medals for PvP?

#83 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 03 April 2012 - 14:38

Like what?

Creating PvP? Adding PvP rating? Adding rewards for PvP? Adding prestige? Extending the hit range from 5 to 10 levels? Adding medals for PvP?

look harder, troll less :)

#84 vlkfenrir

vlkfenrir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 15:24

Voted no and I am not going to hide it. I am afraid it would, even with all the things that were already taken into account, generate various exploits. And also in my opinion dramaticaly change the game as a whole (if to the better or worst in the long run, I cant tell).

That being said I have to repeat what was written many times already: the retaliation or "free hit back" idea sounds great.

#85 tsink20

tsink20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 19:56

To preface my comments, I continue to be concerned about the gradual erosion of pvp within the game. There is less now than at any time previously, which continues to result in dwindling interest in the game in general. Each of the recent changes in the game have resulted in a loss of some component of pvp, with typically an increased ability of people who do not pvp to avoid the consequences of the pvp aspect of the game. We have certainly come a long way from Hoof's statements that this is a PVP game.

I believe that implementing xp gain into pvp may encourage people who do not currenty pvp regularly to start. I would love to see the Bounty Board expand to 4 and 5 pages like it did for the brief time period that the smasher medal applied to regular pvp.

As for the revenge hit, I think the idea works, but there needs to be risk of pvp loss if the hit is unsuccessful.

#86 Chazz224

Chazz224

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 21:25

Edit this post, as it is unfair and not topic related. Sorry Mae

#87 fusionj

fusionj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 03 April 2012 - 21:29

Oh...4 bounties currently on the BB. Sure is a good thing we got rid of the incentive that the new smasher medal gave to end up there.

(Sorry mae, all of the topics on the subject have been locked, and I wanted to vent)

Carry on.

#88 lordthade

lordthade

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:23

Leveling is said to be boring, PvP spices things up and makes things interesting for those who do and don't par-take in it.

I cannot state more clearly... I TOTALLY disagree.

The echo chamber may tell you otherwise, but the Cows hear from a lot more people than just these threads.

#89 Khanate

Khanate

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:18

Players want reasons to PvP and offer taking No losses at all and having 0 risk... Totally unfair given how those who have and currently PvP have always been at risk and have always accepted those risks and losses without any complaints.

Who proposed that? We're reading different forums?

#90 Eleonora2

Eleonora2

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 19:17

Do not condemn it... Embrace it, support it, learn it, practice it... Only than will you all see this game rise like no other as there is no second comparison...

All you said is conjecture at best.

And it's very very unwise to want everyone to be like you. Yet PvP players seem to have no other goal than just that.

#91 Maehdros

Maehdros

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • Canada

Posted 04 April 2012 - 20:41

No trolling or bickering please... lest we get ANOTHER thread locked :?

#92 Khanate

Khanate

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:45

It's hard to stay on topic in a pvp thread. Anyways, do you agree that your idea would lead to more manipulation than good? From my own experience of manipulating prestige with everyone else in my top 10, I can foresee a lot of manipulation if your proposed system were to be implemented.

I think it's better to agree to kill the idea and move onto discussing something else. Perhaps it would be better to first identify what is lacking in the current PvP system?

#93 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:00

It's hard to stay on topic in a pvp thread.

Some more than others. Most people have no problem staying on topic.

Anyways, do you agree that your idea would lead to more manipulation than good? From my own experience of manipulating prestige with everyone else in my top 10, I can foresee a lot of manipulation if your proposed system were to be implemented.

ALL aspects of Fallensword where there is interaction between players, are susceptible to exploitation, collusion and trading. To single out PvP or a PvP idea based on the risk of exploitation is foolhardy.

As a community our we sometimes see shining examples of people working together to make an idea work. We can offer our best efforts in advice, but 2 factors determine the success of a new feature:
1: Whether the cows take on board the advice given
2: There are always players who put their personal gain above the integrity of game mechanics.

Sadly PvP threads often end up with people refusing to come together to reach a workable solution.

#94 Khanate

Khanate

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:33

Anyways, do you agree that your idea would lead to more manipulation than good? From my own experience of manipulating prestige with everyone else in my top 10, I can foresee a lot of manipulation if your proposed system were to be implemented.

ALL aspects of Fallensword where there is interaction between players, are susceptible to exploitation, collusion and trading. To single out PvP or a PvP idea based on the risk of exploitation is foolhardy.

This one has unprecedented potential for abuse and the effect of this abuse could be huge. While everything will have potential for collusion, one must still look at how much abuse will take place and it's potential. This one could possibly ruin leveling and wouldn't do more than "this is not bad" for PvP.

#95 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:43

This one has unprecedented potential for abuse and the effect of this abuse could be huge. While everything will have potential for collusion, one must still look at how much abuse will take place and it's potential. This one could possibly ruin levelling and wouldn't do more than "this is not bad" for PvP.

Khan, this thread is pretty pointless. Maehdros put forward a pretty good idea with the retaliation hit, but gaining exp from pvp? It's never going to happen, people know this, not really sure why this thread has hit 7 pages... You're wasting your time posting here, or maybe passing the time? If it's the latter then have fun, if it's the former.. Well, you'll never get the rational, reasonable debate you're wanting, not in one of these types of threads.

All you'll see in here is a few people parroting each other making it look like an idea is more popular than it actually is, surely you've seen it all over the forum. Thankfully this isn't the first time this idea has been suggested AND rejected. Just walk away, let it die..

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#96 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:52

This one has unprecedented potential for abuse and the effect of this abuse could be huge. While everything will have potential for collusion, one must still look at how much abuse will take place and it's potential. This one could possibly ruin leveling and wouldn't do more than "this is not bad" for PvP.

And thus, suggestions on how to mitigate this would be a great step in the right direction. It might not be the ideal solution in the OP's form, however there is potential if it could be managed in a constructive way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: