Photo

What makes you keep coming back to play?

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#81 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 November 2012 - 17:15

Heck, half of your staff don't even play, doesn't that say something?

Not particularly. Not everyone has the same tastes in games. And we certainly don't have the time to play during work hours. We're busy actually working on our games.

#82 vastilos

vastilos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Canada

Posted 13 November 2012 - 17:31

Heck, half of your staff don't even play, doesn't that say something?

Not particularly. Not everyone has the same tastes in games. And we certainly don't have the time to play during work hours. We're busy actually working on our games.

Well, if you don't play your own game, how can you determine what is good and not good for it?

#83 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 November 2012 - 17:34

Well, if you don't play your own game, how can you determine what is good and not good for it?

Generally by discussing things with our players on our feedback forums.

#84 grimnok

grimnok

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:51

That is helpful, but all players are biased to some extent, and player feedback is not as helpful as 'organic' learning. Having a few interns, each given varying degrees of resources, whose job is to learn the game on HCS' behalf would do wonders for learning the unwritten rules of Arena, PVP, etc.

#85 hbklives

hbklives

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 13 November 2012 - 22:17

That is helpful, but all players are biased to some extent, and player feedback is not as helpful as 'organic' learning. Having a few interns, each given varying degrees of resources, whose job is to learn the game on HCS' behalf would do wonders for learning the unwritten rules of Arena, PVP, etc.

+1. This is a great idea. I remember someone saying you guys could hire around 5 people around your area to play the game for a month. After that month, ask them for their criticism and what they feel is wrong with the game. It'd most likely help.

tumblr_ohmmkinSKX1siy7m0o1_540.png

#86 thisple

thisple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 November 2012 - 22:26

Several reasons I logon everyday:
[*:1rlnjvds]Guild People -- I love chatting with my guild mates.
[*:1rlnjvds]Check the AH -- Why won't you people just buy my stuff :lol:
[*:1rlnjvds]See if Maehdros took our relic again :x :-D
[*:1rlnjvds]Take relic back if he did 8)
[*:1rlnjvds]I love the interaction with other players. As much as it makes my blood boil that people can hit you for gold or snipe your auction or take your relic... I could not imagine the game without the strong personal overtones that just permeate every aspect of what we do here.
Ideas to get new people to stay with the game:
[*:1rlnjvds]Figure out a way to normalize and reduce the cost of FSP -- To get max stam takes 625 FSP. Unless you are going to buy FSP with real money, it just plain takes too long to upgrade your character. That doesn't even take into account more max stam, FSP to donate to guild, more BP space, more AH spaces, etc... etc... etc... When I started playing I could buy FSP for under 100k, often times even cheaper than that.
[*:1rlnjvds]Better rewards that don't require real $$$ -- I signed up for Direct TV and received over 1700 FSP for doing so. I don't see any other rewards out there even close to that.
[*:1rlnjvds]Advertising. I joined this game because I saw an add whilst playing another game. I haven't seen a FS ad in over 3 years.
[*:1rlnjvds]Mobile App -- Pretty self explanatory.

#87 Jonah Tebaa

Jonah Tebaa

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Lebanon

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:47

Not all players are biased. I am sure there are quite a few good players who ALWAYS have given fair ideas. RJEM would be a good example I would say. He did screw up FI, lol, but he was totally right about it.

I think HCS could let the community vote for a FallenSword Parliment formed of 100 players, and those would vote for a President for FS. This can be done every three months. I am sure this would really give us a lot of fun :)

#88 Jonah Tebaa

Jonah Tebaa

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Lebanon

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:48

On the other concept, I would not mind if HCS allowed a second account ONLY. and it would be linked to the first account (it shows on the profile the other account) This would be nice if you wanna use one account to PVP and the other to level. But it doesn't mean much to me.

Would be interesting , when one players account hid behind pvp protection, while their second multi/ account pvp'd LOL. ;) :lol:

Heck they could even circumvent the bounty board. ( currently a player is not able to hit bounties they post)

example: I gold hit one of them, they bounty, then their second account accepts and delevels me. :shock:

You would delevel yourself. I have no doubt about it. lol But I thought those 2 accounts could not hit each other.

#89 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts
  • Badge

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:10

Advertising. I joined this game because I saw an add whilst playing another game. I haven't seen a FS ad in over 3 years.

Since Fallen Sword started (in 2006), social / browser games have become much more popular which has had the effect of making advertising the game much more difficult / less cost effective.

Unfortunately, that does not work any more. That's why you don't see them.

#90 Jonah Tebaa

Jonah Tebaa

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Lebanon

Posted 14 November 2012 - 18:03

BG man, there are other ideas back in this thread beside the stuff that cannot be done like advertising.

#91 Maehdros

Maehdros

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • Canada

Posted 14 November 2012 - 18:09

On the other concept, I would not mind if HCS allowed a second account ONLY. and it would be linked to the first account (it shows on the profile the other account) This would be nice if you wanna use one account to PVP and the other to level. But it doesn't mean much to me.

Would be interesting , when one players account hid behind pvp protection, while their second multi/ account pvp'd LOL. ;) :lol:

Heck they could even circumvent the bounty board. ( currently a player is not able to hit bounties they post)

example: I gold hit one of them, they bounty, then their second account accepts and delevels me. :shock:

You would delevel yourself. I have no doubt about it. lol But I thought those 2 accounts could not hit each other.

I meant as an example: If I gold hit Player A, Player A then posts me on the bounty board, they then used their second account (lets call it A2) to delevel the bounty.

I didnt mean two of the same accounts hitting one another :)

#92 silkyplay

silkyplay

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 18:54

it has all been said but I will say it to....

Friends, different ways of playing, addiction.

I dont know what would make new people come and play. I tell friends about the game some come and play some dont. I think this was said.....every1 has an aspect that they like about games and some people just arent interested in this type of game.

Oh one more things.....agree with make a phone app. those addicted like me would never logoff then.....LMAO

#93 chslayer

chslayer

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Australia

Posted 14 November 2012 - 20:44

I agree with what Kitty said above ^^, especially about the ph app ( android especially)

Sword has become a bit of a habit/ routine for me. Turn on computer/ check email / check sword/ load skype lol

This game encourages friendships via guild chat and game play, and programs like skype/ msn further encourage that, which in turn carries back to the game :) I can hardly think of anyone I know in game that hasn't left a message somewhere off game yelling " TITAN'S OUT.. wanna hit? " or " I'm going to hunt in 10.. can you buff me? " type thing.

With the actual game itself, I enjoy the updates/ new things to do ( like the global idea etc) It keeps me interested enough to come back. I particularly like it when the cows ' just do it' and THEN leave the thread in here open for discussion/ tweeks etc. Asking thoughts beforehand sometimes is really counterproductive.
I suppose it is the ' surprise' factor. I remember when I played a FB game & logging in and finding a new NEAPOLITAN coloured cow available! ( yeah yeah I know.. sad :P )

For a newish player to return...If I think back to when I first played this game, it has evolved massively. I can't imagine starting the game as a new player now hardly. I DO remember thinking " RATS? seriously? " .. and then after hitting a gazillion rats thinking " There MUST be more to the game than this as the highest level was 500ish then ( I think).. and I couldn't think about hitting rats for THAT long lol. I remember setting myself little goals of ' just 10 more levels' to see what happened. So maybe more rewards at small intervals would help new players stick around as well. I nearly gave up a few times under lvl 100. The tutorial is a step in the right direction there I think, but it really IS hard to find information on the game ( even for me now)

I know this thread is about the positives that make you come back, but maybe listing the negatives might also help the cause as well..I hope it doesn't cause angst, as it isn't meant to.

* It is really discouraging when an idea gets implemented/ promised and I get all excited, and then only gets half done or not carried thru at all. An example of this is the a/ mentoring ( wherefore art thou, karma? ), b/ 'smelting/ melting' ( hung onto extra epic weapons for 6 months before just selling them off )

* Lack of replies in the forum by the admin. It would be really good if a simple " Duly Noted" was left here and there so members know their thoughts have been seen. I know the cows can't comment/ commit to something a lot of time AT the time, but a simple reply would be nice I think. I don't post a lot in the forums, and this is partly why...and TBH, the only reason I am posting on this thread is that I presume as it was started by HCS that they are actually watching it. If more people were posting on the forums, there would be more of an idea what was needed in the game perhaps etc. Win/ win.

Hope this helps a little

Kym

#94 chslayer

chslayer

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Australia

Posted 14 November 2012 - 20:44

Dear God; sorry for the scroller :/

#95 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:58

Well here i am after 3 weeks of recruiting players under level 20,who have completed the tutorial and Guess how many replies I have had a whole 2 replies and one of them was a multi.Out of 100 plus messages sent.... Something is seriously wrong when players do not respond when you are offering free gear and buffs...and prepared to teach them the game...

#96 Dowster

Dowster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:43

It's been a long time since I started here, but as far as I know it's possible to get to around level 10-15 on the day that you register. In any online game - particularly RPGs, the majority of registered accounts are people who signed up, tried the game on one or maybe two days, and then never play it again.

I would be fairly sure that new players sign up here every day, use their stam, do some quests and level as far as they can go. But only a small number of them stick around, and that's no insult to FS, it's just standard form for an MM type game

Since making the new guild we don't really recruit below 200 anymore - just because it suits us that way. But back in WiccaD I had no lower level limit for recruits, but personally I never even looked at anyone below level 30. Not because there's no chance of ever finding any decent recruits at that range, but simply because I didn't have the patience to filter through 100 accounts, 95 of which belong to people who only played once since signing up, and perhaps logged in a few times since - sometimes just to remind themselves what this game is that they have in their bookmarks/favorites - but with no intention of actually playing properly. I think that level 30-50 at least shows that they have some interest in the game, whereas sub level 20 is just anyone who's trying it out and not yet decided if FS is for them

#97 fusionj

fusionj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:30

Boredom.

#98 IzzyDead

IzzyDead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 19:10

As per the topic subject - what makes you keep coming back to play Fallen Sword?

EVERYTHING! The game is just AWESOME!

8)
Posted Image

#99 Jonah Tebaa

Jonah Tebaa

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Lebanon

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:23

Bump

#100 Jonah Tebaa

Jonah Tebaa

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Lebanon

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:16

I remember when i joined the game, it was so confusing to know where to go on the map. i never got it well till i was about level 30 or more i think. on the world screen, maybe have a small map showing world's connected with their levels, like they are in the wiki. but make it compact. it is good even for us now so i dont have to have wiki always open in another tab.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: