Photo

Eldevin Client (beta)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
102 replies to this topic

#101 Unbiased

Unbiased

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 14:50

I don't see much of a reduction in lag, when using the client. It is really bad in the city areas, and I need to click on the minimap just to move around. Also, when in full screen mode on the client, it will suddenly minimize the screen. Loading still takes quite a while to complete.

#102 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 July 2014 - 17:30

Just got back from a week+ with the Windows XP, single core machine.  I can say the client absolutely gave me a better experience then the browser.  Positive points.

0)  Once again, kudos and thank you for an application that doesn't just fall over when faced with that environment.

1)  Better performance.  I could run full screen (1280x1024) with about the same response as the browser at 1024x768.  I was sort of able to run a dungeon, though my DPS was well below normal playing through the lag.  It did improve as the run continued and I realized the next point.

2)  Better screen update order.  The animations were slow enough (especially when I tried an instance) that I could watch each area of the screen update.  The most critical areas of the screen updated first (spell cooldowns, mob movements).  Spell animations always took lowest priority.  Good job on that one!

3)  Recovery after crash.  As discussed in a previous thread, Windows XP shuts down browser Java when the CPU is overworked and the OS requires attention.  In the same situation, the client just froze for a minute.  Couldn't get a console log, so I don't know if it properly shuffled Java to background or shut down and restarted.

Only one minor place where the browser did better.  With the client, each time I logged out of Eldevin and back in unpacking took longer.  Not very noticeable the first time, but by the 2nd or 3rd logout it began to slow significantly until I restarted the machine.  The browser, for whatever reason, had more consistent load times.

Other issues still exist playing Eldevin on that PC.  But they're all related to my insistence that I play on a machine 2 levels below min. req. and so not worth further discussion.  Though it would be nice if people did not see me as in game until the partition finished loading, as I can't see or respond to chat during that time :).

Thank you.

Edited by Irradiated, 07 July 2014 - 17:34.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#103 rowbet

rowbet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 July 2014 - 21:31

I tried extensively with the client and found it generally good, but the excessively long unpacking times when moving between realms has finally driven me back to the web version. I was frequently finding that it would take anything from 1-3 minutes to let me move between realms, usually pausing at the unpacking stage. It is worst when entering Eldevin, but is not limited to that; nor is it limited to the first time I enter each realm in a session.

I have been using this on a Mac/Mavericks

Robet (Proph 49)   Orbet (mage 49)  Ebrot (magepro 49)

Tebor (warsin 49)   Orteb(sin 49)  Beort (warsin 49 - might become tank)

Betro (ranger 49)   Trobe (??? 6 - there for bene runs - just whisper

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: