• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Huxtable

Huxtable

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:41

It'd be helpful, in my opinion, if buffs and debuffs were displayed a bit more clearly. As it is now, I still find it a bit muddled and confusing.

TL;DR: consider the solutions below to make buffs & debuffs clearer to (inexperienced) players.

A few examples...

Debuffs applied by players. Think of groups with more than one of the same class, or multiple party members applying the same debuff, and (to a lesser extent) world boss runs. If there are multiple stacks of, say, Rupture on a mob, how do I know which is mine and when to reapply?

Debuffs applied by mobs while playing as healer. Tank almost died on Kongar a couple of weeks ago 'cause the healers weren't aware of the debuff. I was one of the healers, and I've done WB's plenty of times. Until then I had no need to know about the debuff, but when it was applied, it was lost among the tank's many other buffs and debuffs.

Buffs on mobs. Specifically boss' Enrage--this was/is not a new concept to me, however the first few times I experienced it in this game went as follows: more experienced player says boss is enraged; I mouse-over all unfamiliar buff/debuff icons to find out what Enrage icon looks like; icons bounce around as buff/debuff timers run out and new ones are applied, making it unnecessarily difficult to read any of their tool-tips.

A few possible solutions...

Display the icons of any DoT's/debuffs a player applies first. When I'm looking at the rows of debuffs on a mob, make it so mine are the first ones listed (top row, left side). Other players of course would see the debuffs they've applied listed first.

Make those icons appear bigger to the player so they stand out more.

Display buffs and debuff icons in completely separate rows. For example, if I'm healing and targeting the tank and s/he's got a row-and-a-half of buffs, drafts, elixirs, etc., any debuffs should start a new row underneath and separate from all of that.

Maybe put a red outline around debuff icons so they stand out more.

All of this just comes from being unfamiliar with the fights and icons, and may be unimportant or non-issues to seasoned players. But I do think the changes would help new players become more familiar with these mechanics and status effects.

#2 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 14:46

Hey MR. T :)

If you need me, I'll be hiding in the forest. ;)

#3 The Marienne

The Marienne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 15:11

As a healer Id say its more fun to have to focus and try and pick out the debuffs lol :lol: Gotta pay attention.

That being said, it would be nice to somehow at least see more easily when a debuff is applied, but Im not AT ALL unhappy with this system. Keep dem eyes peeled.

As for like keeping your rupture and shtuff up, I've not had a problem with with that on my sin. o-o seems like if its off cooldown it needs to be reapplied I dont watch the debuffs I put on a mob/boss I just watch my cooldowns. (please feel free to correct me if I should be using debuffs more accurately I'm always looking to learn.) :wub:

I think for new people it would be nice if there was a tutorial stage about buffs and debuffs or something. Maybe not at lvl 1 or whatever but some dont really see the debuffs and I've seen 45s who dont know they can stack those 2 different pot typees and food. >_<

#4 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 May 2015 - 16:35

For DPS I don't see this as an issue.  After playing the same character for awhile, you learn when to re-apply without looking.  Just based on timing with other attacks.

But as I contemplate a re-spec to healing I've been thinking about this very question.  I expect learning the symbols I've been ignoring up until now will be straightforward (with a little help from a benevolent tank or healer).  But my vision is not the best, so keeping track of tiny moving dots is a concern.  Any type of organization would help.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#5 Huxtable

Huxtable

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 17:53

The DPS part comes from having just respec'd to a very mana-intensive class/build, so trying to avoid unnecessary spamming.

Hiya, Sasquatch. ;)

Edited by Huxtable, 07 May 2015 - 17:54.

#6 DiamondHunter

DiamondHunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 18:05

this is all right though i need help in being a mage if you want to help add me to friends (AND123) and help me :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: