Chagryn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Badge

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:44

OFFICIALBANNER_zpsb3f0bfcc.png

Welcome to the 8th Grand Graphics Tournament -- ROUND 1!. Artists are coming up together for an epic battle to see who's the best artist of the moment! Who wins?

You're the one who will choose!

This week's theme is : Horror

Artists were asked to create a piece of art depicting some either directly or indirectly related to Horror. 

HOW TO VOTE

Please rate each entry in each group on a scale of 1 to 10 with a vote of 10 being 'this blows my mind it is so good' and 1 being 'this is boring'.

You have up to 18 points to distribute between the two entries in each grouping.

You DO NOT need to give out all 18 points. The MAX you can give is 10 points on 1 piece per group.

Please include a reason with your votes - you only have to give a reason for one per set. It doesn't have to be technical. You can just say I liked this one best, or something along those lines but we all know an artist thrives on feedback so don't hesitate to really say what you think.

Example:

Group 1
a 10/10 - I like it, it is a decent composition. / Good but could use (insert suggestion)
b 5/10 - I don't care for it. / Needs work

Votes that do not have a reason will not be counted!

**Artists, you may vote, but do not skip your own group, votes will be adjusted when tallied.**

Please vote for every grouping.

On behalf of my fellow artists, thank you for taking the time to vote !

Group 1:

GGT8Mori_zpse02dc58a.png

HorrorGGT83_zpsa638b7d8.png

Group 2:

2_zps1cab4ef4.png

1_zps26e51250.png

Group 3:

4_zps84d94072.jpg

5_zps84285628.png

Group 4:

3_zps29735c82.png

GGTRound2_zpsff7632d6.png

BrandSig_zpsf2e5098b.png

So who wants to buy me Zombie Brand on League of Legends? 

#2 Chagryn

Chagryn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Badge

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:47

A NOTE TO CONTESTANTS: 

We lost approximately have of our participants. Those who sent me entries automatically qualified for Round 2. One contestant will be eliminated each round. I will take over from this point forward until Roans return. Any questions, comments, or concerns should be sent directly to me. Thank you for your participation! 

BrandSig_zpsf2e5098b.png

#3 Pix3

Pix3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:03

Group 1:

A: 6/10. I like the colors but it took me quite some time to adjust to all the green and then look for the "apparent" focus. Too much Gaussian blur and well for me it isn't exactly horrifying if I am confused about what I am looking at. 

B: 7/10. Average is all I can say. It's too messy and the text for horror is horrible. Although I do like the theme and the photomanip. Just a more clean version would subtle effects would have been nice.

Group 2:

A: 7/10.. ehhh... Pink and yellow? Great flow Great render but It all looks so cheery to me that I can't imagine this being horror :\ Bubbles and ribbons and pink... Nice try using Vectors.

B: 5/10. Too plain. Not what I would expect in the second round of GGT.  A lightning background a red gradient a Santa image and a doge brush! Tada! 

Group 3:

A: 9/10 Ooh yeah! Now we are talking! This seems like a well made piece with quite a lot of effort into it. Good theme overall and nice effect. Just dislike the Inner Demons text.

B: 8/10 The image is disturbing ill give you that but I don't see much work to it. Even subtle changes like changing the name on the book to GGT would have made the piece more original. Step up the game it's round 2 already!

Group 4: 

A: 9/10 The depth... I am drowning in the Depth... Marvelous Depth. The colors are lovely too. Subtle but still eye catching. Not giving it a 10 just because...

B: 9/10 Because this piece deserves a 9 too! I am so in love with this piece that i'll disregard the fact that this isn't what horror looks like. At ALL. I'll give it a 9 because I am disappointed with the other works of art here and I want to see this artist up ahead. 

#4 Patnov

Patnov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 18:52

I'll try to vote this time, although I will make some publicity on the FSBox. Thx again Chag for taking over! You are the man!

Patnovsig.png

Sig By DMR > Thx Dear, i love it!

#5 ghetoghost

ghetoghost

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 18:54

Group 1

A: 5 - It's decent, just not "wow" factor to it.

B: 5 - It captures the theme well but the blood splatter effect (i think that is what its supposed to be) is overkill. Again, no "wow" factor.  

Group 2

A: 7 - Looks pretty kickass! Too happy for a horror theme though.

B: 6 - Simple yet not bad.

Group 3

A: 6 - Overused render and seems bit plain too. Still not too shabby.

B: 10 - Amazing! Favorite piece out of the horror group!

Group 4

A: 7 - It's decent and captures the theme well but something is eh about it.

B: 9 - Second favorite and not too far behind my overall favorite. Great piece!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Live. Love. Learn. Die. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Are you an artist? Want to be listed as one under the Artist Directory; click here

#6 beanopoly

beanopoly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:25

Group 1

A: 4 - I can't really make this one out so had to score it a little low, sorry.

B: 5 - Definitely portrays the horror theme, but a bit dark for me.  I would have liked to have seen a bit more contrast and sharpness in the face area.

Group 2

A: 8 - Love the mouthful of eyeballs! Colors are  a bit cheery but he looks to be melting and fading away from the light, so nicely done.

B: 6 - he render hits the theme but I think it is too centered which makes the text look off to me.

Group 3

A: 8 - I like the render and the double up effect.  Very nice blending job.

B: 4 -  thought we are doing sigs? While the blending and render is good but a bit yellow and the font does nothing for me.

Group 4

A: 6 - Decent render and decent blending but it feels like it could use a few more layers to give it a little more punch.

B: 9 - Love this piece and I am pretty  sure I know who made this.  It's made masterfully, but can't give it a 10 since it does not scream horror to me.  Apocalyptic, yes. :P

Ultron_zps605d70ae.png

Made by Chagryn

#7 SlntScream

SlntScream

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:17

Group 1

A: 4 - The idea is good, but I think there is the potential to do alot more.

B: 9 - I scored this one the highest because it captures the theme the best (and I'm a Silent Hill fan). I would've liked to see it done on a bigger canvas for clearer detail and so it doesn't look cluttered.

Group 2

A: 6 - A pretty good piece, but the color scheme is too girly/happy for this theme and that render.

B: 3 - Very plain, again I can see the potential for alot more to be done on this.

Group 3

A: 6 - Decent piece. It's different, and fits with the theme. The blending bothers me a bit though.. I think the render stands out just a bit too much.

B: 7 - Awesome piece, but it's way too cute for the horror round.

Group 4

A: 8 - Creepy!! I agree it could use a few more layers to make it pop, but I can't fault the artist for going with the muted tones. I like it.

B: 7 - Another that's very well done but doesn't fit the theme.

Edited by SlntScream, 20 December 2014 - 13:50.

TluddMk.png

#8 Wesleysdf

Wesleysdf

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:05

Anyone knows when this voting ends? Just making sure I don't miss the date

#9 Chagryn

Chagryn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:55

Anyone knows when this voting ends? Just making sure I don't miss the date

Sorry, Lets end this on the 26th. 

VOTING WILL BE TALLIED ON THE 26th

BrandSig_zpsf2e5098b.png

#10 Chagryn

Chagryn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Badge

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:59

Anyone willing to post in the FS Box to seek more outside votes? I have posted on homepage and FSbox. Any help much appreciated. Unfortunately I cannot reimburse your FSP for helping but all help is GREATLY appreciated. 

BrandSig_zpsf2e5098b.png

#11 Blenny

Blenny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:47

Group 1

A: 1 - It's too dark and I can't tell what it is  :huh:.

B: 10 -   :wub:  I love it! It fits the theme perfect. Hands down the best on this list!

Group 2 

A: 3 - It's too goofy for my taste!

B: 8 - I actually like it even if it looks simple, fits the horror theme very well. 

Group 3 

A: 6 - It's not a bad piece just an average in my opinion. 

B: 7 - It doesn't yell "horror" at me but instead I get this creepy vibe from it. 

Group 4 

A: 7 - Fits the theme well but seems a bit blurry or maybe its just my eyes.

B: 5 - Doesn't fit the theme to me at all.

Edited by Blenny, 24 December 2014 - 08:48.

#12 WyldLibrarian

WyldLibrarian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:56

Group 1

A - 3 - Nothing horror-ible about it, could be anything coming with a light behind it.

B - 8 - Pretty good, gives a feel for a haunting/deserted building. Figures features could be a little better defined for improved gruesomeness.

Group 2

A - 4 - The wolverine-style claws and the face just don't work well together.

B - 9 - The nightmare at the north pole! I like the feel of the mummy as santa claus! My favorite!

Group 3

A - 4 - Sorry, a human being taken over by ???

B - 3 - Didn't see anything horrible about this. A variation of spider man?

Group 4

A - 4 - More a feel of alien beings then something of horror.

B - 5 - Reminds me of Wasteland game from years ago. The horror is in what people did to the planet and what survivors had to deal with to continue living.

#13 Wesleysdf

Wesleysdf

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 23:36

Pretty lazy here so I'll list just the main points of the pieces. If anything send a private message and I'll fully CnC the work.

Group 1

A) 4/10 - Nothing much to do with horror.

B) 6/10 - Nice theme, good positioning. Text isnt good, and subtext is worst.

Group 2

A) 5.6/10 - Well, looks more like comedy :P Colour work could be better

B) 6.5/10 - More like merry chritsmas. Too much red for the theme I guess

Group 3

A) 5/10 - Text positioning is bad and theme doensn't match much

B) 7/10 - Well, thats a nice piece... but a chibi spiderman?

Group 4

A) 8.5/10 - Here it is. Best piece of this round imo. Only thing it needs is a little bit more of contrast and a little bit more of sharpening/blurring to optmize depth

B) 7/10 - This one would be good for apocalipse theme or survival theme. Sig is nice. Some splatters, some smudging... what makes it ok is the placement of elements and the green thing behind the text.

#14 Chagryn

Chagryn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Badge

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:26

~*~ CLOSED~*~

Will post Round 3 tomorrow. Giving last contestant 12 hours to enter submission. They have been notified. Contest will continue then. 

Edited by Chagryn, 28 December 2014 - 03:57.

BrandSig_zpsf2e5098b.png

#15 Pix3

Pix3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:09

Group 1:

A: 27

B: 50

Group 2:

A: 40.6

B: 43.5