Photo

Community's thought on another potion composing slot?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 JustChris

JustChris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 23:47

I've been toying with the idea a bit about posting in regards to adding an additional composing slot beginning at level 1. 

Before you jump to your first gut reaction, let me briefly explain.

The point, at it's core, of composing is a gold/useless item sink, which it does expertly. Additionally, it gives players of all level and skill another aspect of the game to look forward to and enjoy. It also builds guild loyalty and provides members with even greater purpose.

Forget the few that travel guild to guild, and overlook the powerfulness of the buffs themselves (they can be tuned down if need be), without the few exceptions, composing is a great aspect of Fallen Sword.

Adding another slot could increase leveling of all players, if they want it to. Players that want to level up "twice as quickly" from level 1 to 10 would also have to buy frags at a more quick rate and would also have to spend gold to create potions twice as quickly as the current standard.

I've read all across the forums about people being upset with too many frags and killing the frag market, but with a second slot for composing, frags would diminish twice as quickly, the price of frags would increase, and players would have greater reason to stay in the game, and potentially Global Events would be more heavily participated in.

It is unlikely that many players will hit "EOC" in regards to composing level any time in their FS career, so the concern that this would make leveling too easy is irrelevant. Especially because if players are reaching the max level for composing, that means they have spent a tremendous (anyone with the exact amount?) amount of gold to get there, extensive lengths of time, and are most likely very devoted and happy with their FS character!

This would just be another means to further boost an excellent aspect of the game, and further improve the benefits that it produces.

Edited by JustChris, 25 March 2015 - 23:49.

#2 LumWolf

LumWolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 00:47

I don't remember my exact thought process when I built my composing calculator.... But to get to 51 from 50, it requires 6,187,500 Gold alone. Levels 40 -> 49 require a bit more than 50 million gold. I *can* get you the exact total if you really want, or someone else can. I'm feeling a bit lazy at the moment.

I'd honestly be up for second composing potion slot at level 1. It got to quite a bit of the patience fest with only 1 composing potion at level 4.

All in all though, it really depends on HCS's stance on this.

#3 steveanaya

steveanaya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:57

I like it. Would bring more players to try composing. Everyone should compose. More demand for frags, better global participation, more gold sunk. Win win win.

#4 Morgwyn

Morgwyn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 17:37

Nothing against it as long as the ballance between inventing and composing will be looked at aswell.

#5 Melissa3

Melissa3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 19:16

I disagree.  An extra composing slot at level 1 is not warrented and unfair to those who have progressed in composing. 

It is not difficult to get to level 10 composing at which point that extra composing slot will be gained.

However i do feel that an extra composing slot should continue at the higher end of composing.  An extra composing slot is gained every 10 levels.   Why does it stop at level 40?

At level 40 there are 5 composing spots and currently there are no more composing spots available.

It would be fair for all if at level 50 we had 6 composing spots available and at level 60 there were 7.

Edited by Melissa3, 26 March 2015 - 19:20.

#6 Melissa3

Melissa3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 19:28

After rethinking it I guess the more composing spots available to everyone is a win / win as stated by steveanaya above.  More demand for frags, higher gold sink , and it will make it easier for people to get thru composing so they can get some of the amazingly awesome buffs composing can give us.

But as i stated above the additional composing spot given every 10 composing levels should not stop at level 40.

#7 JustChris

JustChris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 00:03

It would be fair for all if at level 50 we had 6 composing spots available and at level 60 there were 7.

I probably should have clarified- yes- this. I agree, I see you posting and I have to imagine you're one of the higher leveled composers in the game- it would not be fair for you to essentially lose 10 levels of progress. 

At level 1, there should be two slots, at ten there should be three, at twenty four... etc. 

I'm not proposing to take away anyone's hard work or diminish current level value- high level composers have paid in gold and time and should not be punished- I just think this would be a way to throw another spark into the game! 

Edited by JustChris, 27 March 2015 - 00:03.

#8 moonfrost

moonfrost

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:00

As the game is full of ideas for gold sinks, I think that without a doubt that this is a great idea...though I would also like to see the levels on the buffs themselves drop in level as they are entirely too overpowered as it stands. Why not an extra slot every 5 levels throug the first 20 levels and then the normal 1 on each additional level till it stops at 40 or whatever it stops at. This gives everyone a chance to be able to make their own pots and thus create less lag in the game by removing not only excess work that the auction house has to contend with but also unneeded posts, masses and the like. It would effectively level a playing field that has for too long been unlevel. For those that don't agree with this brilliant idea, theres always other aspects of the game that they could try. Think of the support you'd get from the new starting players who could easily make some hard earned gold from composers who need the items that all seem to drop at the lower levels, be less begging for gold and fsps in global chat as well as the fs box.

As a side note, perhaps tie guild loyalty into strength of pots and give higher buff levels based on how long you've been in the guild..since after all, most composers make free pots for their guild. There's so many ideas that could be used to better composing and return it to the selfless action that it was meant to be. At least for those of us that still believe in that type of thing. Bound to character, bound to guild only.

Edit:And since we're talking about player/guild only pots...why not treat composing levels like guild loyalty medals...you leave the guild you start back at the beginning.

Edited by moonfrost, 27 March 2015 - 03:06.

#9 Melissa3

Melissa3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:24

As the game is full of ideas for gold sinks, I think that without a doubt that this is a great idea...though I would also like to see the levels on the buffs themselves drop in level as they are entirely too overpowered as it stands. Why not an extra slot every 5 levels throug the first 20 levels and then the normal 1 on each additional level till it stops at 40 or whatever it stops at. This gives everyone a chance to be able to make their own pots and thus create less lag in the game by removing not only excess work that the auction house has to contend with but also unneeded posts, masses and the like. It would effectively level a playing field that has for too long been unlevel. For those that don't agree with this brilliant idea, theres always other aspects of the game that they could try. Think of the support you'd get from the new starting players who could easily make some hard earned gold from composers who need the items that all seem to drop at the lower levels, be less begging for gold and fsps in global chat as well as the fs box.

As a side note, perhaps tie guild loyalty into strength of pots and give higher buff levels based on how long you've been in the guild..since after all, most composers make free pots for their guild. There's so many ideas that could be used to better composing and return it to the selfless action that it was meant to be. At least for those of us that still believe in that type of thing. Bound to character, bound to guild only.

Edit:And since we're talking about player/guild only pots...why not treat composing levels like guild loyalty medals...you leave the guild you start back at the beginning.

Composing always was an individuals reward for hard work and immense cost to the individual player to increase their composing level.

To even suggest that a player would lose all that hard work and go back to the start of composing by leaving a guild is utterly ridiculous.   This would tie a player to a bad guild and there are many extremely bad guilds out there being ruled by players who want to control every feature of someones game.

I have had experience in a top guild which was totally controlling.  They gave the majority of their guildies no chance to communicate effectively with other members, had an inadequate supply of hunting gear and when this matter was raised it was expected by the leaders that the players purchase their own hunting gear , and it was the leaders who were out there selling that gear and would profit from a guildie buying their own hunting gear.  Or they were asked to buy the hunting gear and donate it to the guild.   This was a top guild yet the treatment of its members was extrememly poor.

Why should a player not be able to change guilds without loosing all their  hard work and expense in composing?

Composing is not a guild reward ,  its an individuals reward to compose the pots they can for their own hard work and expense, so therefor they keep their composing level.

Edited by BigGrim, 27 March 2015 - 17:04.
Let's keep personal attacks out of the forum

#10 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:27

I think the simple idea of a 7 day cooldown on composing when changing guilds is more than enough to be honest.

That being said, moonfrosts idea does have merit, I would put the caveat in however that only the potions that are guild tagged be affected by leaving a guild. Leaving the single player aspect of composing intact.

Edited by Mister Doom, 27 March 2015 - 11:56.

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#11 bloody18

bloody18

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:00

1.Anything to speed up the composing XP process is fine with me. (Im level 27)

2.Composing is in essence an  individual activity. I am not for penalizing  those that have worked hard at earning composing XP /levels. I have not had one conversation with anyone who is peddling composed pots... but I think  they should be allowed to do whatever they wish with their work. Profit or not.

53ea454a7b974.gif

tumblr_lpsk87z9St1qm5onq.gif

#12 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:41

Why not just leave it alone? It's only been about a year and a half and I think we can all agree other aspects need attention? It's not broken and frags continue to sell. Maybe reduce frequency of frag events to keep value high but otherwise it's working?

#13 Filletminion

Filletminion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:40

in 18 more months no one will be travelling anywhere will be so many high composers it will end up like everything else.

#14 moonfrost

moonfrost

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 16:29

Composing always was an individuals reward for hard work and immense cost to the individual player to increase their composing level.

To even suggest that a player would lose all that hard work and go back to the start of composing by leaving a guild is utterly ridiculous.   This would tie a player to a bad guild and there are many extremely bad guilds out there being ruled by players who want to control every feature of someones game.

This was in reference to the guild only pots...the strength of thse particular buffs should be based upon length in guild

I have had experience in a top guild which was totally controlling.  They gave the majority of their guildies no chance to communicate effectively with other members, had an inadequate supply of hunting gear and when this matter was raised it was expected by the leaders that the players purchase their own hunting gear , and it was the leaders who were out there selling that gear and would profit from a guildie buying their own hunting gear.  Or they were asked to buy the hunting gear and donate it to the guild.   This was a top guild yet the treatment of its members was extrememly poor.

This has nothing to do with the original topic at hand. Though to respond, you chose to be there and you then chose to abuse those rights by not hearing anybody else and what they had to say. You're also the only player that has complained about the leadership there in all my time.

Why should a player not be able to change guilds without loosing all their  hard work and expense in composing?

As I said, this is in reference to guild pots and buff levels. Why shouldn't players be rewarded for being team players and staying loyal to their guild?

Composing is not a guild reward ,  its an individuals reward to compose the pots they can for their own hard work and expense, so therefor they keep their composing level.

For bound to character pots, absolutely. I just wasn't sure how tough it would be to differentiate between player and guild buff levels in regards to programming

#15 Melissa3

Melissa3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 16:59

This was in reference to the guild only pots...the strength of thse particular buffs should be based upon length in guild

This has nothing to do with the original topic at hand. Though to respond, you chose to be there and you then chose to abuse those rights by not hearing anybody else and what they had to say. You're also the only player that has complained about the leadership there in all my time.

As I said, this is in reference to guild pots and buff levels. Why shouldn't players be rewarded for being team players and staying loyal to their guild?

For bound to character pots, absolutely. I just wasn't sure how tough it would be to differentiate between player and guild buff levels in regards to programming

The original topic was a request to add a composing slot from level 1 composing.

YOU are the one who has gone off topic !

#16 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,814 posts
  • Badge

Posted 27 March 2015 - 17:00

Play nice please Boys and Girls. Let's keep the finger pointing and flame bait out of the forums, okay?

#17 Mzzery

Mzzery

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 17:15

I think an additional slot at level 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 and 40 would be nice. That way it would speed up the leveling for the low level composers, and not make it too many slots at high levels. There's only so many frags to go around, and having unlimited slots would just cause issues in several other ways, I believe.

As for the suggestion that a composer's guild loyalty medal should improve the level of their potions made... I think that's an excellent idea. It would help a lot of low level composers get the chance to make even better potions for their guild, and decrease the need for them to pay for potions from "traveling composers". Guild hopping has always been seen as something to discourage in the game, and I think such a change would make it less likely for composers of any level to turn away from their guild just to make a profit elsewhere.

In my guild, we have 20 or so composers, and we always have access to some of the best potions in the game, and I think that the loyalty towards the guild shown by our composers should be rewarded. I know it's the same way for a lot of other guilds in the game as well, and I am sure most would agree that guild loyalty should be considered in this case.

Just my 2 cents :)

og3DxyP.gif

#18 ladyjudith

ladyjudith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 17:28

:) I like that idea of a seven day cool down if you leave the guild, loyalty should be rewarded and this is a good way to encourage it

#19 Melissa3

Melissa3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 18:02

Is any consideration given to the guilds that dont have a high lvl composer?

Its easy for members of a big guild to say lets not have travelling composers.

They have access to good composed pots and are not taking into consideration others that dont.

This just makes the top guilds stronger and it makes it harder for the smaller guilds to compete.

And arent we going off topic again?  

#20 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2015 - 18:03

Highly suspicious altruistic motives...

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic