#1 Zenth

Zenth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:08

Wanted to post this here for the Warrior Kings to see
Seems a small issue came about while i was away.
This is what i sent out to my guild

Well folks seems we have a situation on our hands here. The so called Warrior Kings have declared war on our guild. For the reason of a few of our members were hired as mercenaries to attack one of the members. So be it what’s done is done.

Now for were I stand on this situation. I will now bow or sunder to such a guild. Unprovoked attacks on my guild members that had noting to do with the delving is uncalled for and will be answered for. The last thing we will do is pled with this guild of Bullies to back off.

So for those that don’t wish to lose your levels and decided to leave I will understand but the last thing im going to do is tuck my tail and run.

So it’s clear I have noting against using mercenaries after all that all guild allies are when using them in a guild war. Only difference is your not paying them. So being the Warrior Kings want to use the allies to war a small guild like us yes we will use Mercenaries and any Guild that wants to help as well
I do not condemn or condone Mercenaries. It’s just a playing stile some people like and I have even done it my self.

The actions of those few in my guild could have been handled in a different manner. The bullying of members that was not involved is uncalled for. I would not care if those members involved were deleveled all the way back to 1. that is the way we handle Mercenaries our self not attack the innocent members of a guild.

#2 MaximusGR

MaximusGR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:14

Could you please edit out the inflammatory namecalling? It doesnt help towards anything..

#3 Zenth

Zenth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:23

Could you please edit out the inflammatory namecalling? It doesnt help towards anything..

fixed :oops:

should allways post after chilling out for a few min :D

#4 Rolaran

Rolaran

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 20:55

[rant] Normally I stay away from these type of threads and let my stamina do the talking for me, due to the amount of flaming that will invariably arise. However I must take exception to the OP saying mercs and allies using 100 stams are the same thing. Mercs do what they do simply for profit, they owe no allegiance to anyone but themselves. The 100 stams I've been handing out to HoP are not for any selfish reasons, but simply because I was asked by a friend in WK to help out. I have not received a single dime from this other than the pittance of gold taken for the players I've attacked, whereas a Merc would expect recompense for every swing of his weapon. If some of you perceive this as bullying, so be it, but at least I know that my allies are more to me than an arbitrary collection of names on my profile / guild history.

Guilds that harbor mercs are going to come under fire from other guilds, especially guilds such as mine and WK, that are comprised mainly of PvP oriented players. I'm not telling anyone how to run their guild, but either accept that war is inevitable, or do not allow mercs in your guild. It's a pretty simple concept, really. [/rant]

Thanks for listening, let the flaming commence. lol 8)

#5 Asahara

Asahara

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:24

So let's make an analogy that less pvp oriented players will understand.

The OP says that sleeping with someone you love is immoral, but sleeping with someone for money is perfectly ok!

Thank you for your insight zenth, I now know I am wrong and will immediately begin selling myself for money and personal gain.

#6 Zenth

Zenth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:53

[rant] Normally I stay away from these type of threads and let my stamina do the talking for me, due to the amount of flaming that will invariably arise. However I must take exception to the OP saying mercs and allies using 100 stams are the same thing. Mercs do what they do simply for profit, they owe no allegiance to anyone but themselves. The 100 stams I've been handing out to HoP are not for any selfish reasons, but simply because I was asked by a friend in WK to help out. I have not received a single dime from this other than the pittance of gold taken for the players I've attacked, whereas a Merc would expect recompense for every swing of his weapon. If some of you perceive this as bullying, so be it, but at least I know that my allies are more to me than an arbitrary collection of names on my profile / guild history.

Guilds that harbor mercs are going to come under fire from other guilds, especially guilds such as mine and WK, that are comprised mainly of PvP oriented players. I'm not telling anyone how to run their guild, but either accept that war is inevitable, or do not allow mercs in your guild. It's a pretty simple concept, really. [/rant]

By definition your 100% correct.
Your services fall more towards
Foreign Volunteers: The armed forces of many nations have, at one time or another, used foreign volunteers who are motivated by political or ideological considerations to join a foreign army

But No matter. I mostly find it ironic that we seem to be getting hit by other guilds More then the Warrior Kings (The ones that started this so called war). If they can’t hit us then they have started a war they can’t win them selves really.

Just so its Clear Most of us will not be hitting back but will be placing bounties. I’ve informed the guild not to hit back if they do not want to. But im sure we have a few that very much so welcome this war

Just want to be clear I was not trying to Flame you guys but just state how I felt about the Allied guilds being involved in these situations. There is noting wrong with it in my opinion. But I do feel it is like hiring Mercenaries to do a job you can’t do your self.
Small guilds or even solo player’s having to turn to the Mercenaries for help. Unlike the a guild with a large pool of allies they can turn to.

Im hoping this does not turn in to a flame war. That would just be no fun.

#7 Zenth

Zenth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:59

So let's make an analogy that less pvp oriented players will understand.

The OP says that sleeping with someone you love is immoral, but sleeping with someone for money is perfectly ok!

Thank you for your insight zenth, I now know I am wrong and will immediately begin selling myself for money and personal gain.

This has nothing to do with Mercenaries, but rather prostitution.

Foreign Volunteers and Mercenaries are used for WAR
Prostitution is for fun.

Your analogy does not work in this type of situation sorry.

#8 fs_samantha7

fs_samantha7
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:31

Ok let me see if I understand this correctly, its not ok for people to do merc work but its completely ok to get a sheep to do your bidding in the name of "Ally"
Are you also hoping for 72 virgins to greet you on the other side???

You "requested" help from your "friends" to slap people from House of Pain and did NOT limit it to the people involved in Mercenary work. So how were the innocents supposed to react?

Terrorists do it for love of country, God or who ever has the warped idealism of the moment. Mercenaries get paid. The only difference between the two is the color of the uniform. I dont like either and it doesnt help my leveling.

I love the prostitution analogy but being a woman I can truly tell you when you gain anything from the services rendered it is prostitution so in this case....they are all prostitutes, one gained fsp and the other gained loyalty and admiration possibly some favors to be returned later

#9 Asahara

Asahara

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:20

So, money and loyalty to your allies are the same to you people?

Now I know what moral standings you people have. I no longer have anything to convey that can be expressed in words. My stamina will do the talking from now on.

#10 Zenth

Zenth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Badge

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:50

Be it a Mercenary or an Allie hitting another person. They both have 1 thing in common doing the bidding of another/others

The funny thing here is that I don’t have any issues if im hit by a Mercenary or someone’s Allie it's all the same to me.

However finding out that your guild has a player that was/or even may still be a Mercenary is very hypocrite

Just a side note
bounty hunter: someone who pursues fugitives or criminals for whom a reward is offered; an individual who seeks out escaped fugitives in return for a monetary award. Most are employed by a bail bondsman. In the United States, bounty hunters catch an estimated 30,000 bail jumpers per year. A more-common term for a bounty hunter?which is preferred by those in the industry?is a bail enforcement agent.

mercenary: a soldier who fights, or engages in warfare exclusively for money, without any regard for ideological, national or political considerations. When the term is used to refer to a soldier in a regular national army, it is usually considered an insult, epithet or pejorative.

From these two definitions it sounds like the main difference is that bounty hunters search for a particular person and capture him for a reward, while mercenaries fight much like soldiers do in an army but exclusively for money and do not seek to capture a particular person.

So when you put these into the aspect of Fallen Sword a Bounty hunter is a Mercenary in ways.

So if you don’t like Mercenary’s I sure hope you’re not Bounty Hunting because I don’t see anyone being captured in this game.

*Edit*
My definition of a Fallen Sword Mercenary: A player hired personally not publicly as a bounty hunter.

I only bring the Bounty Hunter because I see a few of the Warrior Kings like to partake in bounty hunting. Who as well all know are against Mercenary actions

#11 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 13 October 2009 - 15:00

By definition your 100% correct.
Your services fall more towards
Foreign Volunteers: The armed forces of many nations have, at one time or another, used foreign volunteers who are motivated by political or ideological considerations to join a foreign army

But No matter. I mostly find it ironic that we seem to be getting hit by other guilds More then the Warrior Kings (The ones that started this so called war). If they can’t hit us then they have started a war they can’t win them selves really.

Just so its Clear Most of us will not be hitting back but will be placing bounties. I’ve informed the guild not to hit back if they do not want to. But im sure we have a few that very much so welcome this war

Just want to be clear I was not trying to Flame you guys but just state how I felt about the Allied guilds being involved in these situations. There is noting wrong with it in my opinion. But I do feel it is like hiring Mercenaries to do a job you can’t do your self.
Small guilds or even solo player’s having to turn to the Mercenaries for help. Unlike the a guild with a large pool of allies they can turn to.

Im hoping this does not turn in to a flame war. That would just be no fun.

Believe me, I'm concentrating on leveling up so i can catch the one person close to my range.

As to our friends and guild allies helping us in this matter, they do so out of loyalty and honor. How you can countenance the highly dishonorable act of your members selling themselves like a cheap hooker on a corner is beyond my comprehension. I don't mean anything derogatory in this statement, i simply cannot understand how you can even compare the two...

Bottom line, I can't wait to meet you in battle. Even were I not WK, everybody here has been my true friend for well over a year. Can you say that, or do you have to buy your friends, too? If so, you have my deepest sympathies.

WARRIOR KINGS TILL THE END!!!!!

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#12 MaximusGR

MaximusGR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 15:24

There is nothing wrong in using mercenaries, if someone doesnt want to put his friends into trouble..

And guys, please, stay off the RL analogies, FallenSword is nowhere near war, prostitution or hunting criminals lol

#13 Asahara

Asahara

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 15:49

There is nothing wrong in using mercenaries, if someone doesnt want to put his friends into trouble..

And guys, please, stay off the RL analogies, FallenSword is nowhere near war, prostitution or hunting criminals lol

I agree, but I had to use a more universal example for those that do not PvP alot, so they can see how we feel about mercs.

#14 fs_mrwright

fs_mrwright
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 18:27

Gosh...doesn't ANYONE fight their own wars anymore?!? :lol:

#15 Bunnybee

Bunnybee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 19:12

Gosh, doesn't anyone take friendship seriously anymore? I suppose those who do have friends who reciprocate in kind. They don't have to pay anybody to do anything.

Boil it down to absolute basics, I see a lot of people with strong feelings against mercenaries. There are also those who think nothing of it. They believe they have a right to use them, and they do. I have a right to my own opinion on that, and can act accordingly.

That said I have yet to see anyone up in arms over friendship, loyalty, and trust. It's an absurdist notion to think the two have anything in common at all. It's not a matter of, "Okay I'll give you this much $ to stand here in front of me and take a bullet." It's more a person jumping to your side before you even ask.

There's no such thing as a person who can strictly love, or strictly fight. Not effectively. To do either well is to be both at once. I fight for that which I love.

And I feel only contempt and pity for anyone who has to hire what is really only half a person.

#16 Bleltch

Bleltch

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 19:30

Mercenaries have no honor. Players that hire mercs to fight their battles have no honor. If you're not willing or unable to fight your own battles, and you have no friends or guild mates willing to stand up for you, then Bleltch is sad for you. You are missing out. :cry:

#17 fs_samantha7

fs_samantha7
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 20:05

Everyone seems to talk of loyalty and honor but one thing strikes me as odd in this whole mess. Why is it that people who had NOTHING to do with the offending mercenaries get hit? Where is the honor in hitting people who did nothing to you? Speaking for myself ALONE here for a minute, I was pissed as h&^$ to be hit by an ally of WK ( 100 stam at that) when I myself did not partake in the deleveling party hired on their member. PVP is part of the game, so is GVG and are a few other distasteful things but I have never hit someone, for love or money, that did not offend or attack me first. Level up to hit someone in your range that has offended you, thats great, but its personal to you. It doenst mean the entire guild sanctioned the acts of one and all need punished. I do not hold the masses responsible for the actions of one. War if you will but leave the innocent people out of it, you know who offended you, go after them and leave the others to play their game how they see fit.

I have a few allies myself but do not call on them to do my dirty work, I would expect the same courtesy

#18 MaximusGR

MaximusGR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 20:38

Mercenaries have no honor. Players that hire mercs to fight their battles have no honor. If you're not willing or unable to fight your own battles, and you have no friends or guild mates willing to stand up for you, then Bleltch is sad for you. You are missing out. :cry:

To each his own..

I see your point if someone is asking for support and he doesnt get it..However, what if you get attacked, want a payback and you value your and your friends and guildmates XP a lot more than some FSP?? Its just a matter of priorities.

#19 fs_telicis

fs_telicis
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 21:01

Everyone seems to talk of loyalty and honor but one thing strikes me as odd in this whole mess. Why is it that people who had NOTHING to do with the offending mercenaries get hit? Where is the honor in hitting people who did nothing to you? Speaking for myself ALONE here for a minute, I was pissed as h&^$ to be hit by an ally of WK ( 100 stam at that) when I myself did not partake in the deleveling party hired on their member. PVP is part of the game, so is GVG and are a few other distasteful things but I have never hit someone, for love or money, that did not offend or attack me first. Level up to hit someone in your range that has offended you, thats great, but its personal to you. It doenst mean the entire guild sanctioned the acts of one and all need punished. I do not hold the masses responsible for the actions of one. War if you will but leave the innocent people out of it, you know who offended you, go after them and leave the others to play their game how they see fit.

I have a few allies myself but do not call on them to do my dirty work, I would expect the same courtesy

There are guilds that believe that a single action by any member of a guild represents that guild... If your guild has Mercenaries in it, everyone in said guild will be punished. While the reasoning differs from person to person what it comes down to is (to use a cheesy and not quite apt phrase) "Might makes right".

Of course, this is also irrelevant since there are some guilds who, I imagine, would start attacking your entire guild because one of them is an ally who helped a guild they're at war with.

This is exactly why I hate politics, of course. :P

#20 fs_kessdox

fs_kessdox
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 21:10

However, what if you get attacked, want a payback and you value your and your friends and guildmates XP a lot more than some FSP??

If it is revenge that you seek, then perhaps you should try and get it yourself ... not hire somebody else to do it for you ... just don't go into PvP related aspects if you ain't gut the guts to do it and stand the consequences ...
Mercs are not among the people we like in WK and that is how it's gonna stay ... we have stated this and are not afraid to admit it anytime ! play with fire you get burned, PvP has consequences, and you'all remember that ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: