Photo

Looting System?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 Kaendor

Kaendor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Badge

Posted 26 September 2012 - 00:53

Any info on how the looting system will work?, will it be automatic loot, items dropped on the floor or mob inventory looting?.
Will the items have random stats or static?

Ive had these questions since long ago, and would like to have some info about, as looting is one of the most important things in a rpg/mmorpg game to gear up.

SquirrelSig_zps7b59b79d.png

#2 Mojawk

Mojawk

Chief Operations Officer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts
  • Badge

Posted 26 September 2012 - 17:35

Hi Kaendor,

Loot will be handled in a couple of ways, there will be some loot that will be pushed straight into your inventory, a few examples could be gold you collect, quest items and rewards. Some will be dropped on the ground, like boss loot, that can then be rolled on by your group members. There will also be some special loot chests hidden around the world and other goodies. There will no way to "grief" other players as far as we are aware with the loot system, and currently we have no player looting in PvE or PvP.

John Stewart
Chief Operations Officer

#3 Kaendor

Kaendor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Badge

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:33

Hi Kaendor,

Loot will be handled in a couple of ways, there will be some loot that will be pushed straight into your inventory, a few examples could be gold you collect, quest items and rewards. Some will be dropped on the ground, like boss loot, that can then be rolled on by your group members. There will also be some special loot chests hidden around the world and other goodies. There will no way to "grief" other players as far as we are aware with the loot system, and currently we have no player looting in PvE or PvP.

It really sounds awesome.

A while ago this question came to my mind: Will the items that the player voluntarily drop, will be just destroyed, or they will drop in the floor so anybody can get them?
Because well, you know an item that you dont need anymore can be very useful for somebody else that passes and picks it.
I know that the item could also be traded, but this applies when your inventory is overflown, and you just want to trow some stuff out, and simply dont want to go to a npc to store or sell it.That happens alot in MMO´s, imagine how many items are just destroyed that could still be useful for someone.

SquirrelSig_zps7b59b79d.png

#4 l3fty

l3fty

Senior Artist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Badge

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:01

Unfortunately dropping items into the world often results in spamming/abuse, and we haven't implemented our system to work that way. With most trash items it will be worth holding onto to get a bit of money from a vendor and we are trying to make sure that vendors are conveniently placed throughout the world. Players also have their bank for holding onto anything that might come in useful to themselves or their friends later on too :)
L3fty
Senior 3D Artist

#5 fallean

fallean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 13:58

cool... mine gear for gold... will you earn xp for creatures in the wild or just doing quest work??

#6 l3fty

l3fty

Senior Artist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Badge

Posted 08 October 2012 - 14:35

Yes you will get experience for killing creatures throughout the world ( as long as they are near your characters level ). Quests give nice large amounts of experience too though so grinding monsters shouldn't be a necessity. Not to mention shiny quest rewards and faction reputation gains!
L3fty
Senior 3D Artist

#7 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:30

... or they will drop in the floor so anybody can get them?
Because well, you know an item that you dont need anymore can be very useful for somebody else that passes and picks it.
I know that the item could also be traded, but this applies when your inventory is overflown, and you just want to trow some stuff out, and simply dont want to go to a npc to store or sell it.That happens alot in MMO´s, imagine how many items are just destroyed that could still be useful for someone.

If everyone would drop their items on the floor then it might cause problems because who is going to pick up the items that are worthless to everyone? Players will have to wade through a few feet of items when they're travelling. :unsure:

It might work though if dropped items are automatically destroyed if they stay on the floor longer than a certain time. This could be a week, a day, an hour, several minutes. ;)

Gathering  Crystal Cutting 49 | Farming 49 | Fishing 49 | Foraging 49 | Forestry 49 | Prospecting 49 | Skinning 49
Crafting  Alchemy 49 | Armorsmithing 49 | Cooking 49 | Jewelry 49 | Leatherworking 49 | Tailoring 49 | Weaponsmithing 49
First person to have maxed them cool.png

Characters (all level 49)
Prophet    
Savanc       Savavita              Savavimala               Mage          Savanhildur    Savashengli    Savahathor
Warrior  
Savy           Savanikomachos   Savafionnchadh       Assassin   Savalina         Savajahangir
Ranger      Savakainda  Savatakoda         Savaraxka               Templar   Savastanislav  Savasegolene

#8 f0xydam

f0xydam

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 13:52

If everyone would drop their items on the floor then it might cause problems because who is going to pick up the items that are worthless to everyone? Players will have to wade through a few feet of items when they're travelling. :unsure:

It might work though if dropped items are automatically destroyed if they stay on the floor longer than a certain time. This could be a week, a day, an hour, several minutes. ;)

Yea well that sounds good at least for me if the items could be on the floor for certain time. :) I like that idea

#9 Zukira

Zukira

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 October 2012 - 20:42

Please, please do not let us give loads of things to the creep, then kill the creep, then take the creep's body and give the body to the next creep. This infinite bag loop drives me nutso on some games.

zukira.gif

|| signature rotates, artists varied ||

Fan my art on Facebook  || Deviant Art || Chat on Irc

When in doubt, lean to the side of mercy.

- Cevantes

#10 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 October 2012 - 20:49

Please, please do not let us give loads of things to the creep, then kill the creep, then take the creep's body and give the body to the next creep. This infinite bag loop drives me nutso on some games.

That way the items you give the creature would get multiplied by the number of creatures you kill next.
If you give it 1 item and kill it 100 times then you will end up with 100 copies of that item. That would not be good... :wacko:

Gathering  Crystal Cutting 49 | Farming 49 | Fishing 49 | Foraging 49 | Forestry 49 | Prospecting 49 | Skinning 49
Crafting  Alchemy 49 | Armorsmithing 49 | Cooking 49 | Jewelry 49 | Leatherworking 49 | Tailoring 49 | Weaponsmithing 49

Prophet    
Savanc       Savavita              Savavimala               Mage          Savanhildur    Savashengli    Savahathor
Warrior  
Savy           Savanikomachos   Savafionnchadh       Assassin   Savalina         Savajahangir
Ranger      Savakainda  Savatakoda         Savaraxka               Templar   Savastanislav  Savasegolene

#11 Zukira

Zukira

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 October 2012 - 20:52

That way the items you give the creature would get multiplied by the number of creatures you kill next.
If you give it 1 item and kill it 100 times then you will end up with 100 copies of that item. That would not be good... :wacko:

not exactly, more of an infinite bagging system. Adding corpse after corpse to a stack so the loot is all considered a single item. it tends to be a 'feature' on some mud type games and it ...shouldn't be.

zukira.gif

|| signature rotates, artists varied ||

Fan my art on Facebook  || Deviant Art || Chat on Irc

When in doubt, lean to the side of mercy.

- Cevantes

#12 Anakiro

Anakiro

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Badge

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:08

Every creature will drop a loot bag individually. If you don't loot the bag it will eventually despawn. They don't merge together, if that's how you mean? =)

#13 Minerexstacy

Minerexstacy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:46

Would there be any possibility of a trash to gold option in your inventory (Meaning, you throw this item into the trash or something - and it turns it into oh... I don't know lets just say 75% less than what a vendor would buy it for - 10 Gold = 2.5gold instead of selling to vendor for 10 gold. This would help eliminate lag from ground clutter of items if you were to allow items to be dropped for other players to see.)

Come join me at my YouTube - Mcflapphypants

153qv6c.png

Come help build the wikia by clicking > HERE

#14 KreditKrunch

KreditKrunch

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:50

Perhaps the possibility of some sort of 'Recycling' option? It could be provided by a vendor of sorts that, when paid a fee(that would get increasingly expensive as the item quality rises?), can recycle the item for you, giving the player a chance to retrieve crafting items, perhaps not obtained directly from thier own gathering skill/s.

Often in MMO's I find that everyone gets to a point where gear can be hard to improve upon in a certain area, yet, sometimes rewards recieved are of no use to the class (Classless, I know. If i happen to be leveling e.g an archer of sorts, have a good melee and ranged weapon and recieve a staff, I'd likely vendor it for a small bit of cash or trade to another, taking time for the extra money potential)
I believe that this sort of function would give that little bit more choice for a player who has no need of the item or cash but would still like some sort of benefit.
The only problem I forsee is that a player could potentially farm for lower level gear and 'recycle' it, To fix this I'd suggest that 'recycling' should (as well as a scaling price > level/gear strength or type) have a % chance to recieve any amount of particular item from the original. I say "fix" but in my opinion if it is costing a player to recycle then it wouldn't be so bad. It would also give people a reason to actively buy lower level items giving them more worth in an AH.

#15 Xero

Xero

Lead Artist

• Hunted Cow Staff
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Badge

Posted 14 November 2012 - 19:15

To answer you both, unwanted loot can be sold to any vendor/shopkeeper in the game for a percentage (can't remember the value!) of the buy cost. Likewise, trash loot can be sold to any vendor for a tiny amount. Crafted items on the other hand sell for more. This helps lessen the loot farming benefit, but allows crafters to earn good money for their efforts.
Iain Mair
Lead Artist, Eldevin

#16 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:00

Crafted items on the other hand sell for more. This helps lessen the loot farming benefit, but allows crafters to earn good money for their efforts.

With crafters you mean players who have crafted items? Or are these NPCs, like vendors?

Prophet    
Warrior  

#17 Xero

Xero

Lead Artist

• Hunted Cow Staff
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 November 2012 - 15:50

Yes, I meant players who have crafted items.
Iain Mair
Lead Artist, Eldevin

#18 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:21

As long as the crafters still get only a portion of the price that vendors sell their items for it seems like a good idea to me. :)

I've seen a few games get ruined when it was possible to buy items (or ingredients) and when crafted (or made potions of) sold for higher prices than the costs of buying+crafting/brewing. Because there was no limit to how often you could repeat this, the value of things plummeted because people could get infinite money with little effort.

Prophet    
Warrior  

#19 Xero

Xero

Lead Artist

• Hunted Cow Staff
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Badge

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:43

Yep, they still only get a portion of the sell price from vendors. So costs are: vendor>crafted>loot. We wanted to create a scenario where crafting is worthwhile and a way to make money, far more so than farming loot. Having higher vendor costs helps "eat" gold for those who want the quicker buy option. We want to avoid the games economy from being flooded with unneeded gold.
Iain Mair
Lead Artist, Eldevin

#20 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 16 November 2012 - 13:00

Yep, they still only get a portion of the sell price from vendors. So costs are: vendor>crafted>loot. We wanted to create a scenario where crafting is worthwhile and a way to make money, far more so than farming loot.

Great! :)

Having higher vendor costs helps "eat" gold for those who want the quicker buy option. We want to avoid the games economy from being flooded with unneeded gold.

Being able to manage the in- and outflow of gold is always a bit of a problem with games.
How does gold enter and leave the game? Does it only enter by selling loot/crafted loot and doing quests, and does it only leave by buying from vendors? Or are their other parts of the game where gold is entering and leaving?

Prophet    
Warrior  

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: