The Return Of Quirinus' Gothador Guide

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gothador_amil

gothador_amil
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2008 - 21:45

Several months ago, the respected veteran player and former cultmate of mine, Quirinus, left the game due to RL priorities and lack of time, etc. He left his character in my care, and as a favor, he'd asked me to take over updating his famous Gothador Guide, which for the longest time was one of the best sources of information for new players just starting out in Gothador. Much of the info is still relevant today, but the guide did become a bit outdated and now that Quirinus' original owner is gone, the link to the page is deader than a Mantoid Ravager at 3 minutes past the hour. :lol:

But fear not, yours truly has finally gotten off his butt and added some much needed updated stuff to the guide, and found some free, albeit ad-supported web hosting for the page:

The new link to Quirinus' Gothador Guide is http://gothadorguide...thadorGuide.htm

Basically, it's very much the same guide that Quirinus had last updated it to, circa 2006, but I've added some more recent stuff that had been glaring omissions in that version, such as the shadow class tree and info, as well as orbing and enchantments. The enchantment section (Lesson 9) is pretty much all me, and if I do say so myself is probably one of the most comprehensive guides to enchanting available in one place. 8) I'd ask that if anyone takes a look at it, and notices that anything is missing, could be explained better, or is just flat out wrong, please feel free to let me know here or via PM. But only about the enchantments section; I tried to make the rest of the stuff as current as possible, but there may still be some out-of-date bits of information or comments in there, which was really not a priority of mine to fix right away. After all, it's ultimately Quirinus's guide, and I'm simply maintaining it as a service to the community and as a favor to the guy we culties knew as "Q". :)

So yeah, at this point, many of the links on the page I didn't bother to remove or change; some of them work and link to some nostalgic graphics, some don't. I'm not too worried about it, neither should you be. :wink: But Quirinus' guide is still a great, relevant and probably essential read for new players starting out in the game, and even some of the rest of us who want to feel nostalgic about our newbie days. Enjoy! :)

#2 Debrutsid

Debrutsid

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Badge

Posted 20 November 2008 - 18:20

Only issue I see (So far) is that it's just...

A. GIANT. WALL. OF. TEXT.

#3 gothador_fizzler

gothador_fizzler
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:24

nicely updated m8y

#4 gothador_amil

gothador_amil
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2008 - 14:42

Thanks, fizz, my old pal. ;)

And yeah Sain, I guess a lot of it is a bit over-texty, with plenty of run-on paragraphs. :lol: But in fairness to Q, he pretty much was able to put a description of just about every aspect of the game of Gothador onto a single webpage. :shock: Heck, I wouldn't have even tried to do that if I'd written it originally. But yeah, when and if I get around to it, I'll try to trim down a lot of those pontifications that Q was so good at ;) and probably replace a lot of his retro 1990's html unordered lists with some prettier looking tables.

I wouldn't recommend waiting with bated breath, though. :lol:

#5 Debrutsid

Debrutsid

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Badge

Posted 24 November 2008 - 16:05

Thanks, fizz, my old pal. ;)

And yeah Sain, I guess a lot of it is a bit over-texty, with plenty of run-on paragraphs. :lol: But in fairness to Q, he pretty much was able to put a description of just about every aspect of the game of Gothador onto a single webpage. :shock: Heck, I wouldn't have even tried to do that if I'd written it originally. But yeah, when and if I get around to it, I'll try to trim down a lot of those pontifications that Q was so good at ;) and probably replace a lot of his retro 1990's html unordered lists with some prettier looking tables.

I wouldn't recommend waiting with bated breath, though. :lol:

Well, I guess I'm looking at it like this:

Regardless of how much I would want to learn about a game, I don't want to sit and read a wall of text for an hour and a half.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, along with saving a lot of eye strain.

A quick overview of the GUI (I.E. a picture of it, and little arrows or numbers next to key features described shortly thereafter would work out well), a quick rundown of the basics, maybe a "cheat sheet" of critical stuff (How sorcery works, what the ATK formula is, ect).

#6 gothador_amil

gothador_amil
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2008 - 14:06

Regardless of how much I would want to learn about a game, I don't want to sit and read a wall of text for an hour and a half.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, along with saving a lot of eye strain.

A quick overview of the GUI (I.E. a picture of it, and little arrows or numbers next to key features described shortly thereafter would work out well), a quick rundown of the basics, maybe a "cheat sheet" of critical stuff (How sorcery works, what the ATK formula is, ect).

Noted. :) Yeah, he does have plenty of screenshots, but many are outtdated and they're linked from the main page, and I probably haven't even uploaded them all yet. But I guess it does make sense from a design standpoint to have the descriptive text on the same page as the screenshot.

But like I said, it ain't my page. :P I was asked by Q to update it; not overhaul it. But since some re-working would be beneficial to the community at large, I'll put it on my spare time todo queue. Somewhere after spending time with my kids, working on my tabletop RPG campains, leveling my Goth characters, oh, and re-grouting my floor tiles. :lol:

#7 Debrutsid

Debrutsid

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 November 2008 - 15:27

Noted. :) Yeah, he does have plenty of screenshots, but many are outtdated and they're linked from the main page, and I probably haven't even uploaded them all yet. But I guess it does make sense from a design standpoint to have the descriptive text on the same page as the screenshot.

But like I said, it ain't my page. :P I was asked by Q to update it; not overhaul it. But since some re-working would be beneficial to the community at large, I'll put it on my spare time todo queue. Somewhere after spending time with my kids, working on my tabletop RPG campains, leveling my Goth characters, oh, and re-grouting my floor tiles. :lol:

Getting right to the third point of interest:

Yeah, but updating it means bringing it up to date. Which, unfortunately, would require an overhaul.

And in regards to tabletop... Masquerade or GTFO. And none of that post-gehana stuff. That crap sucked :(

#8 SpiralsOfDanu

SpiralsOfDanu

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:06

Is there a modern version of this guide?

#9 marjin

marjin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 13:50

Try https://gothador.fan...i/Gothador_Wiki

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size: