Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:19

*edit for bad math

**edit- ive never said i wanted a win button nor did i say it should be easy to reach eoc of composing...but judging by the average # of potions players make(which is between 10-15 per day from what my other forum post is showing) it'll take 1 yr of never missing a potion...no matter what i say i wont win this arguement. BG seems to think a slight tweak would be a good option. And i agree....but whether or not they follow thru with it is up to them. either way i'll keep trying to work my way up the composing levels to help my guild.

I'm not trying to say you wanted a win button or anything. I don't think increasing XP gain would be a horrible idea (it may make some of the early levelers mad), but it may get a little more involvement into composing and get rid of a few of hte fragments in the system quicker.

The only thing I want to make sure that, if an XP boost plan is implemented, it costs more fragments to get the XP bonus than it would cost to make the next jump in potions. Quadruple or 5x the fragment cost would probably be the right amount to get the bonus XP from composing potions. 

#62 DomCorvis

DomCorvis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:31

I'm not trying to say you wanted a win button or anything. I don't think increasing XP gain would be a horrible idea (it may make some of the early levelers mad), but it may get a little more involvement into composing and get rid of a few of hte fragments in the system quicker.

The only thing I want to make sure that, if an XP boost plan is implemented, it costs more fragments to get the XP bonus than it would cost to make the next jump in potions. Quadruple or 5x the fragment cost would probably be the right amount to get the bonus XP from composing potions. 

i can agree with this.....we need to remove frags at a FAST rate and this would be the best way....

RealmOfTheDead_zps1e8fa1f1.png

#63 RebornJedi

RebornJedi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:33

no formula needs to be changed.. add some double composing XP weekends and it will be fair and enjoyable for every composer, both veteran or newb..

#64 DomCorvis

DomCorvis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:35

no formula needs to be changed.. add some double composing XP weekends and it will be fair and enjoyable for every composer, both veteran or newb..

2-3x frag cost? possibly 30% off gold instant options? otherwise unless you're doing this every weekend its still only 20-30 potions....which hey turns into 40-60 but not that big of a difference in composing levels? or reduced time to complete

#65 RebornJedi

RebornJedi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:49

at double XP, you are basically getting 50% off instant brews.. i know players would be pushing the limit of their bank to knock out a couple more instant brews during that weekend.. it's a great gold sink.

i just don't think the formula of composing XP needs to be changed.. i personally don't think it's fair to those who have been grinding away these past handful of months. you add in some composing events (double XP was just a suggestion but reduced gold cost for instant brews or even more frag usage for more XP are other ideas) and it becomes a bit more fair to those who have been grinding away and those who wish to catch up or begin their path down composed potions.

the gold sink and fun alone would be better than changing some math... and it would solve some of the problem of dull grinding for levels and levels and levels (which no matter what is always gonna be apart of composing just from how hoof decided to implement it)

#66 DomCorvis

DomCorvis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:55

im just tossing ideas how to try and help make a double xp event more fruitful... We do NEED to sink a lot of the frags from most recent event. even if they only did an xp weekend that cost 4-5x normal frag cost @ 50% reduced brewing time....that would be a fair compromise....allows those who like you said...have pushed through the levels over the past months AND those who want to increase composing level....without hurting anyone or their feelings....

#67 RebornJedi

RebornJedi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 22:03

reduced brew times is also an excellent idea.. could keep players logging in more often through the day/weekend :)

the mini XP boost using additional frags would be an excellent addition.. plus add in some special events (bonus XP, less brew time, gold reduction, etc) and you got more players brewing through their frags..

#68 RebornJedi

RebornJedi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 22:06

and adding in timed events reminds players to compose as well.. i gave up at level 8 and find it hard to get back in the swing of things..

plus the interface for composing has waaaaaaaaaaaay too much page loading involved with collecting and brewing the next same exact potion. would hate to be on a mobile phone but it probably has better load times then this dinosaur of a computer i'm on now

Edited by RebornJedi, 07 March 2014 - 22:07.

#69 DomCorvis

DomCorvis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Badge

Posted 07 March 2014 - 22:09

reduced brew times is also an excellent idea.. could keep players logging in more often through the day/weekend :)

the mini XP boost using additional frags would be an excellent addition.. plus add in some special events (bonus XP, less brew time, gold reduction, etc) and you got more players brewing through their frags..

I couldn't agree more.

and adding in timed events reminds players to compose as well.. i gave up at level 8 and find it hard to get back in the swing of things..

plus the interface for composing has waaaaaaaaaaaay too much page loading involved with collecting and brewing the next same exact potion. would hate to be on a mobile phone but it probably has better load times then this dinosaur of a computer i'm on now

i've recently started using my mobile to complete potions and believe me its no easy task...but it keeps those potions going...(shhh dont tell my boss though...)

#70 yotekiller

yotekiller

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 22:33

If the XP formula is changed so people can move up faster I wonder how long it will be before we start hearing "I'm at composing lvl 50 and I'm bored with it.  We need to add more stuff and more levels to it.  We need to be able to sell our composed pots.  We need and we need".  I like RebornJedi's idea of occasional composing XP events better than an across the board change.  If you have to work a little harder to get to lvl 50 then that just gives you a goal to strive towards a little longer.

Screenshot everything!

#71 Ryebred

Ryebred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 22:41

who complains about lack of content.....does this really exist?  Are you pulling my leg?  LoL

#72 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 23:16

If the XP formula is changed so people can move up faster I wonder how long it will be before we start hearing "I'm at composing lvl 50 and I'm bored with it.  We need to add more stuff and more levels to it.  We need to be able to sell our composed pots.  We need and we need".  I like RebornJedi's idea of occasional composing XP events better than an across the board change.  If you have to work a little harder to get to lvl 50 then that just gives you a goal to strive towards a little longer.

hey! it's what I said! but you said it better :)

/index.php?s=5cdb3c179877ff3a230569f42d08f925&showtopic=63418&p=853938

#73 DomCorvis

DomCorvis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Badge

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:13

what about a potion? similar to doubler but for composing xp? we have it for hunting and global kills so why not composing....

nothing over powered...no more than say lvl 250

@ lvl 50 you'd have +2x frag use, +5 bonus xp, (actual xp not % of xp)

@ lvl 100 you'd have +4x frag use, +10xp

@ lvl 150 you'd have +6x frag use,+15xp

@ lvl 200 you'd have +8x frag use, +20xp

@lvl 250 you'd have +10x frag use, +25xp

This idea could be tweaked of course....but it is a way to sink more frags, allow players that want to level up composing quicker(without changing formula and making those who worked hard to get the lead on composing levels) AND doesn't rely on a random event...although i still like the idea of a 2x composing xp event with reduced instant costs, reduced brewing times and 4-5x frag cost.(after all we need to burn up all those frags if we expect to have need for another frag event)

please feel free to criticize

#74 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:58

what about a potion? similar to doubler but for composing xp? we have it for hunting and global kills so why not composing....

This idea could be tweaked of course....but it is a way to sink more frags, allow players that want to level up composing quicker(without changing formula and making those who worked hard to get the lead on composing levels) AND doesn't rely on a random event...although i still like the idea of a 2x composing xp event with reduced instant costs, reduced brewing times and 4-5x frag cost.(after all we need to burn up all those frags if we expect to have need for another frag event)

you do realize that this is essentially the same thing as the current mechanics save less gold?

So take the lvl100 you propose... If I were to make a 20xp potion, it would give me +10 xp (30xp total) and cost me 24 frags.

To make a 30xp potion with current mechanics, it will take 24 frags.

I guess the difference is with current mechanics you pay more gold and depending on your level, will take a little longer.

If you want to level fast at the expense of frags, you CAN do it with current game mechanics.

just sayin'

#75 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:04

I found a nice exploit... I would do a level 1 pot for duration 1 minute at 1 frag for 10 xp... then use lvl 250 pot and make a 10+25 (35 xp) pot for 1 x 10 = 10 frags! yay!

#76 BraveKath

BraveKath

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:31

TTTT *Timeout!*

This thread amuses me in a depressing sort of way. And yep I'm being a doomsayer as my pet topic is being totally ignored.

..... (See the full post on page 3 of this thread) .....

If we have too many frags in the game, whose fault is that? The irony of having too many frags, so people stop breaking down items (needing frag hunters) for a feature that was created to get rid of excess items is too delicious. The side effects are taking over the patient. Time to withdraw treatment and take a look at the big picture and see what happens.

Fix the flawed guild medals.

Other than that, go crazy with the composing. Sigh.

A voice of reason in the darkness.  I agree with all of Belaric's points .... so ditto - what he said.

Edited by BraveKath, 08 March 2014 - 10:32.

#77 Belaric

Belaric

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 19:06

Thank you Kath, very flattering!

My 2c on what should be done.

Whatever it is it should be a one off solution to a one off problem. Hopefully we will never be flooded with frags like this again.

I am in favour, if HCS can do it, of them simply taking back 90% (for example, but say at least 70%) of the frags given out in the 6 stashes at the end of the event. Or just give us 1 stash, which I thought was a great total at the time! We all pretend they started small. Those who hunted the wraiths keep their extra commons drops they got for their effort. Problem solved. Honest mistake, sorry, etc. etc. We'll balance the rewards better next time. As kalish said - snap off a 0. Why not just do that? It is not as if anyone has spent all their frags already!! (And if they have.... a heartfelt congratulations!) LOL!! This also reduces the disparity in frag hoards for those poor sods who missed out on the event and came back to discover that everyone else was doing a Smaug impression on top of their gigantic piles of glittering fragments.

I am STRONGLY against a new 'mechanism' is the game to deal with this. That is administering a cure for what is only a side effect, or, creating a permanent solution to what should be a temporary problem. Discussion can continue about Composing and XP etc. but the 'frag problem' should not be solved by a new permanent in game mechanism as 1) the excess frags have distorted the situation now and should go away (very) eventually even if we did nothing  2) if we introduce a permanent mechanism to fix it, we make that distortion permanent. Suddenly higher numbers of frags will become the 'needed' norm.

Lets go back to brass tacks. Composing tied to fragmenting. Composing is/(was?) based on the breakdown of items. That was its original purpose. Are we already prepared to divorce the process from its original intent? New game activity WAS opening up. Because of composing new (and older) players WERE getting a new income in game from frag hunting. That is currently on hiatus due to the frag avalanche we just experienced.

A personal example of the disconnect that is being created between item breakdown and composing, and which I think needs to be reduced.

For fun I decided to get my silver artisan medal before I got my bronze fragging medal - which I could do as I hunt commons that drop 5 frags. I made that just before the event. An amusing little thing to myself, no big deal - some fun with the medals (yes that makes me sad - I own it). NOW I can get to artisan CRYSTAL doing 20XP potions without ever needing to break down another item. Artisan crystal, no frag medal. That indicates a complete breakdown in the composing process which was supposed to link item breakdown to potion creation.

Frag globals need to be very carefully monitored as a result. OR - we simply don't care and let this situation occur, then create crazy frag exchanges, that then create demand for more frags and we have more frag globals, and frags become a third game currency. Maybe that will be great. Maybe it will be problematic. I don't know. I still think it will be funny to encourage everyone to get to level 20 composing ultra fast, and then see what happens when everyone can make their own co-at 180's etc. Composing is dull - I think it should be a slog. I'm level 7 - it blows to get from here to the promised land of 10 and be able to compose 2 pots. BUT - I can already make a bigger AL, LF and CON than I can cast - those skills are obsolete (potentially) already, and I'm only at level 7!! And that is before distilling! So you don't need to be this mythical level 50 to be at a game altering level of composing.

If composing is kept tied to item breakdown, thriving game activity will be ensured as people are FORCED to get the frags they need for the potions they want that are superior to any they can cast, and in some cases superior to almost any other source, eventually. This means hunting frags, or hiring hunters. And yep, it will be hard work for a great reward. Frag globals are a shortcut - no wonder everyone was keen for them, they saw a way to get unique and higher frags easily and for less work/stam. I think too many frag events will HARM this potential long term good, by giving away the milk for free so to speak. But I accept minority status on that opinion.

The idea of getting freebies in exchange for large amounts of frags to reduce the new excess (kalish's idea) I think is not great as we all get rewarded for essentially a clerical error on the dev's part, and those potions (for instance) would then distort other areas of the game economy. Should inventors be punished for this? Further we all know that after we have something once, we'll clamour for it again, whether or not it is bad for us in the long run. Because everyone loves freebies and exchanging the frags we got essentially for free for nice potions is what that would be.

Breaking down extra frags for an XP boost - everyone who did the global wins for now, but what about when the supply runs out - who benefits then? Those who can get the most frags the fastest - the highest level players - a two tier composing milieu could be created in which the high level players become the most capable of gaining XP faster and getting access to the biggest composing skills. In built inequality is not a winner, in my book. The game is top heavy enough.

If we keep on having frag globals to keep up with the demand for extra frags for composing XP boosts, then we are again breaking the link between item breakdown and composing. It is funny to see how rapidly that has occurred. So instead of frag farming and game activity and interaction we have people waiting to do globals, and potentailly not much in between. I know which I'd prefer in the game.

I mentioned that we were perhaps looking for composing WIN button. I think I've found it. It is not in any new XP formula: It is the frag global.

I think I'm against the frag global as of now - having talked my way through it to here. Unless brutally reduced in rewards. Even then it will harm other new areas of game activity that were getting good responses. Legendary and Crystal events, SE hunting, frag farming of commons rares and most especially uniques will all be harmed by this. (I had a really cunning plan for unique harvesting - not needed now) frag collecting was making people think about how best to allocate their stam in game again. Gold and FSP were being exchanged between players for services deemed valuable which have just been cut off at the ankles. This global giveaway has ended all that. Further globals need to be very carefully balanced. As uralus said

we will have to see what ripples occur into other areas of the game. See how the next legendary or crystal events are received.

The only good reason for globals I can see is to reduce the advantage high level players have in getting larger amounts of frags from the items they collect, and thus having greater resources with which to compose per stam expenditure. I mentioned a 2 tier composing milieu above - you could argue it exists for that reason alone already. Of course you could also argue that it is an inherent benefit of being high level and so is fair, and another incentive for other folk to gain levels. After all, as it stands a level 250 player could get to level 20 composing and have access to a bunch of skills far beyond their level, thus reducing incentive to level. Swings and roundabouts.

I've run on again.

The new guild medals are still poor representations of in game activity and need to be fixed.

http://forums.hunted...ic=63109&page=9

Edited by Belaric, 08 March 2014 - 23:34.

Good-bye and hello, as always.

#78 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 20:41

Everything Belaric said! Personally the frag stash has been a boon for my composing addiction but I have stopped, for the most part, buying frags from lower level players. I used to spend 4 fsp's worth of gold per day buying junk. Now, I spend less then an fsp ( I still buy from guildmates but mostly as a courtesy as I really don't need rares at all). I say chop a 0 off the stash and do another mini global in a few months and gauge the interest. I dare say it will still be pretty good (at the rate I used to buy junk up until this global, I estimated the value of frag stash to be worth 200-400+ fsp. Even chopping a 0 off makes it worth 20-40+ fsp so still worth the effort). Only side effect could db that less people attempt top 100 watering down top 100 medal a little.

Anyway thanks Belaric! Even though your pet subject gets ignored (and nice way to sneak that shameless plug in :) = just kidding) I appreciate your big picture point of view and how harmful this was to the game.

#79 tenebreux

tenebreux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:28

Belaric has some good points but I have to disagree with the idea of taking 90% of the frags away. This would simply create ill will. What's done is done.

An idea I had that I think might keep the frag globals fun is to eliminate common, rare and unique fragments from the reward chests and just have the higher level fragments in them.  This would keep the frag farmers happy and make us work for the lower level fragments or hire a farmer. It will also make the higher level potions more accessible to those who cannot afford to be buying legendary and better gear in the AH simply to fragment it.

#80 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:21

Belaric has some good points but I have to disagree with the idea of taking 90% of the frags away. This would simply create ill will. What's done is done.

An idea I had that I think might keep the frag globals fun is to eliminate common, rare and unique fragments from the reward chests and just have the higher level fragments in them.  This would keep the frag farmers happy and make us work for the lower level fragments or hire a farmer. It will also make the higher level potions more accessible to those who cannot afford to be buying legendary and better gear in the AH simply to fragment it.

good point about taking back... would probably cause a riot. what's done is done indeed.

I think the best idea was just to remove a 0... then you could have this event as frequently as you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: