Photo

Radical PvP Rework

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

Poll: Radical PvP Rework (41 member(s) have cast votes)

What Idea should be added first to enhance PvP in the game?

1. Remove Deflect (1 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

2. PvP Points for Regular Hits (different from ladder) (2 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

3. Bring Back the ORIGINAL Smasher Medal (9 votes [21.95%])

Percentage of vote: 21.95%

4. Active PvP Battle System (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. PvP in Game Tutorial (4 votes [9.76%])

Percentage of vote: 9.76%

6. PvP Events (3 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

7. Guild PvP Arena (1 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

8. Idea #1 + #3 combined .. OH YEA (6 votes [14.63%])

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

9. None of the Above / Do Nothing (15 votes [36.59%])

Percentage of vote: 36.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Windbattle

Windbattle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Badge

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:14

This is my idea of bringing pvp back to life ...

What if you take a radical approach? 

1) Remove Deflect from the game 

2) Stray away from limiting bountying in the game (do 10 stam clearers get bountied that often .. really?)

3) PvP Rewards System (you gain a point each time you successfully defeat an opponent in regular pvp .. tied to some sort of reward shop / system)

4) Change Smasher Medal back to any 100 stam hit (pvp protection is the counter to that if you don't want to lose XP)

5) Implement an Active PvPer battle system .. pitting active players versus active players

6) Add a PvP component to the game tutorial and possibly high light both the benefits and disadvantages

of pvping in the game / give some general tips about pvp .. such as game etiquette.

7) Double PvP Prestige Days / Double Thievery Activation Days ... no advanced notice given

8) Guild Arena - Battle your guild mates for fun or for wager .. possible medal down the road?

Edited by Windbattle, 30 March 2014 - 04:46.

#2 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:21

This is my idea of bringing pvp back to life ...

What if you take a radical approach? 

1) Remove Deflect from the game 

2) Stray away from limiting bountying in the game (do 10 stam clearers get bountied that often .. really?)

3) PvP Rewards System (you gain a point each time you successfully defeat an opponent in regular pvp .. tied to some sort of reward shop / system)

4) Change Smasher Medal back to any 100 stam hit (pvp protection is the counter to that if you don't want to lose XP)

5) Implement an Active PvPer battle system .. pitting active players versus active players

6) Add a PvP component to the game tutorial and possibly high light both the benefits and disadvantages of pvping in the game / give some general tips about pvp .. such as game etiquette.

How do you prevent farming of bunnies? If the reward "points" were tied to the pvp skill level of the opponent, then this idea would have merit otherwise open season on bunnies which would be very bad for the game.

#3 Ryebred

Ryebred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:34

Are bunnies - new players?  or are the levelers clad in sets with 15k att + 25k dmg (in mid 700's) the helpless victims or bunnies - where any sort of miss, FS, LD = your certain death & potential trip to board

I like the idea of promoting PvP any way you can pitch it - you'll find many will attack any post devaluing it for any reason they can come up with - yet with little to inject of their own to see it's growth or evolution. 

There have been tons of changes to game that favor leveling faster; easier, and safer - yet some won't be happy until PvP is dead entirely - most could care less about betterment of game globally - they simply serve their own selfish agendas; often pretending they have intent to partake if more compromise suitable to them is made, yet it is lies - they are simple trolls to progress, and nothing is waiting on the other side of their rainbows for them - they are just too blinded to understand it. 

All that said - I like your idea very much -wish you all the luck in the world getting others to support it & HCS developers to embrace it.  Thanks for trying mate :) 

P.S.-sorry for negativity above - can't help but to be honest about how I feel

#4 Windbattle

Windbattle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Badge

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:50

I think its a fact that pvp is less active than it used to be. I'm just trying to objectively approach the subject, without bringing any emotion into it.

It would take a change like I mentioned above or something in the same spirit to INSPIRE and PROMOTE people to try pvp.

Edited by Windbattle, 29 March 2014 - 04:52.

#5 Melons

Melons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:52

+1 to Rye's comment.

@yotwehc With the farming of "bunnies" could you please clarify what bunnies are? 

@Wind those ideas sound very nice. I'm sure there would be a buffer or some sort for the new players who join, so they can learn form the tutorial.  After that love the ideas.

Edited by Tehmelon, 29 March 2014 - 04:54.

#6 Bildor

Bildor

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:53

PvP is great for people that want to participate, and I even join the ladder once in the while (my choice). However, you should have to opt in. As far as a PvP global event goes, same thing. Great to have them for people that like them, but don't force me in.

#7 Melons

Melons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:03

PvP is great for people that want to participate, and I even join the ladder once in the while (my choice). However, you should have to opt in. As far as a PvP global event goes, same thing. Great to have them for people that like them, but don't force me in.

If those ideas were limited to an opt-in button, that sounds exactally like the ladder we have right now.  Just a couple of extra small update that are suppose to "fix" it.  Everyone, besides new players, should be included in PvP.  This is a PvP game and adding another optional button for PvP would not help at all. I could be wrong about that, though.  But just my thought and opinion, not trying to be harsh.

Edited by Tehmelon, 29 March 2014 - 05:08.

#8 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:57

+1 to Rye's comment.

@yotwehc With the farming of "bunnies" could you please clarify what bunnies are? 

@Wind those ideas sound very nice. I'm sure there would be a buffer or some sort for the new players who join, so they can learn form the tutorial.  After that love the ideas.

Bunnies (to me) are basically anyone not playing the pvp aspect. Folks like to talk about honor and getting their bounty medals or smasher medals the "real" way. Clearing naked EOC'rs just didn't feel right and was a sham for the smashing medal. How is farming easy targets honorable and playing real pvp. All I was suggesting is you get more points for beating a good pvp player vs beating a joke. I think that would be far more impressive and deserving of big points. Thanks for not devolving into name calling and personal attacks which I know the honorable pvp community never does.

Edited by yotwehc, 29 March 2014 - 05:57.

#9 Melons

Melons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:12

Bunnies (to me) are basically anyone not playing the pvp aspect. Folks like to talk about honor and getting their bounty medals or smasher medals the "real" way. Clearing naked EOC'rs just didn't feel right and was a sham for the smashing medal. How is farming easy targets honorable and playing real pvp. All I was suggesting is you get more points for beating a good pvp player vs beating a joke. I think that would be far more impressive and deserving of big points. Thanks for not devolving into name calling and personal attacks which I know the honorable pvp community never does.

In my opinion, everyone is playing PvP.  Even if they don't attack they do.  Everything else is part of the game: hunting, titan hunting, farming, inventing, etc. So, why is PvP not part of the game? I could see players farming naked players but if you have every player participating that player wouldn't be first for long. I really don't know how the cows will pervent that from happening. But I know one thing is true, adding a opt-in button with any PvP tweak wouldn't work.  Look at the ladders now, all dead cause of the opt-in button. Any player who's been around since the ladder update can agree with me. That is why I'm strongly against the option of an opt-in button.  

And with your statement about getting honor it's totally up to the player.  You can never stop some players on finding a way to get their medals the easy way.  While some have earned these new defender medals by actually defending the relic others don't. It's simply up to the player and if they earned it the hard and long way they will have the pride in that compared to someone who didn't.

Edited by Tehmelon, 29 March 2014 - 06:18.

#10 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:20

In my opinion, everyone is playing PvP.  Even if they don't attack they do.  Everything else is part of the game: hunting, titan hunting, farming, inventing, etc. So, why is PvP not part of the game? I could see players farming naked players but if you have every player participating that player wouldn't be first for long. I really don't know how the cows will pervent that from happening. But I know one thing is true, adding a opt-in button with any PvP tweak wouldn't work.  Look at the ladders now, all dead cause of the opt-in button. Any player who's been around since the ladder update can agree with me. That is why I'm strongly against the option of an opt-in button.  

That's all fine. I'm not suggesting an opt in.. just diminishing rewards for lesser players. you can still farm the weaklings but it's not as efficient to gain the points. Remember when the smasher medal was first introduced. Something pretty significant must have happened to make HCS change course that quickly.

If the player population is going to increase into the thousands with this "radical" idea, then go for it. Somehow, I don't think it will be popular for the general population but I am allowed my opinion. I will always refer to the smasher medal.. that was merely a medal. This suggestion is real rewards so I think the impact will be much more the the medal but again, just my opinion. Either way, I have reached the point where I have the means to "opt out" with protection but I fear the consequence.

#11 Melons

Melons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:35

That's all fine. I'm not suggesting an opt in.. just diminishing rewards for lesser players. you can still farm the weaklings but it's not as efficient to gain the points. Remember when the smasher medal was first introduced. Something pretty significant must have happened to make HCS change course that quickly.

If the player population is going to increase into the thousands with this "radical" idea, then go for it. Somehow, I don't think it will be popular for the general population but I am allowed my opinion. I will always refer to the smasher medal.. that was merely a medal. This suggestion is real rewards so I think the impact will be much more the the medal but again, just my opinion. Either way, I have reached the point where I have the means to "opt out" with protection but I fear the consequence.

I quit for a bit before the smasher medal was changed to only bounty and ladder hits, so I'm not going to even comment about that.  But as far as adding more rewards for PvPing is not good either for me.  When people say adding more rewards to the current ladder system will help it out, I disagree.  Sure there will be more activty without a doubt, but that defeats the whole point. The whole point of these PvP updates is to bring more attraction into PvP right? Indeed it does but how would it be kept there after a certian period of time? You add rewards but once they become worthless the so called "PvP Players" are back to being "Non-PvP Players." PvP isn't always about the rewards it's about the thrill of it.  The tokens are worth nothing now and there should be a different approach to PvP. Possibly allowing new players to get taste of it.  But we should start from the bottom and work our way up.  Make a tutorial for PvP for new players and spark the interested of it in them.  Let them have a feel free for PvP and let them see if it's their thing.  I don't think that would hurt at all.

Edited by Tehmelon, 29 March 2014 - 06:35.

#12 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:43

I quit for a bit before the smasher medal was changed to only bounty and ladder hits, so I'm not going to even comment about that.  But as far as adding more rewards for PvPing is not good either for me.  When people say adding more rewards to the current ladder system will help it out, I disagree.  Sure there will be more activty without a doubt, but that defeats the whole point. The whole point of these PvP updates is to bring more attraction into PvP right? Indeed it does but how would it be kept there after a certian period of time? You add rewards but once they become worthless the so called "PvP Players" are back to being "Non-PvP Players." PvP isn't always about the rewards it's about the thrill of it.  The tokens are worth nothing now and there should be a different approach to PvP. Possibly allowing new players to get taste of it.  But we should start from the bottom and work our way up.  Make a tutorial for PvP for new players and spark the interested of it in them.  Let them have a feel free for PvP and let them see if it's their thing.  I don't think that would hurt at all.

There have been other threads that suggested a pvp pillow fight event (which the hard core folks were VERY strongly against). Say a weekend where it's all out war. someone suggested even after the event is over, everyones stam and xp were restored but talk about getting everyone a taste for it... a risk free - free for all... I hear a lot of people say they were levelers and once they tried pvp, they ended up loving it. This would be an easy way to get people a taste.

This is most definitely a hot button topic and I would not want to be in BG's shoes.

#13 Melons

Melons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:52

There have been other threads that suggested a pvp pillow fight event (which the hard core folks were VERY strongly against). Say a weekend where it's all out war. someone suggested even after the event is over, everyones stam and xp were restored but talk about getting everyone a taste for it... a risk free - free for all... I hear a lot of people say they were levelers and once they tried pvp, they ended up loving it. This would be an easy way to get people a taste.

This is most definitely a hot button topic and I would not want to be in BG's shoes.

Main problem here is lack of interest.  Like I suggested start with tutorial for new players and then add an update later on for everyone.

Of course everyone was once a leveler and still is even if they PvP.  If you gain a level you leveled you are a leveler.  Do I gain levels frequently as other levelers no, but I do level once my levels are low yes.  I'm a leveler but I'm not a fast leveler. 

"Risk free" would defeat the whole purpose again.  PvP is not risk free every take you hit is a risk, simple fact.  You can lose 5 levels or none.  Depending on how you handle and play the game is the factor.  If you are going to cry and moan about the 5 levels you lose then PvP isn't for you.  PvP is risk and that risk has to be shown.  It's an aspect of a game and fun as another too. There are a lot of good ideas out there and if BG just puts them all together I'm sure there will be an update that will be favored by the majority of the community.

#14 Melons

Melons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:58

But enough of that. Let's get back to the real topic and about the possible tweaks.  These tweaks do sound nice but Wind could you please elborate on how some of this stuff will work. It's hard to add feedback to it when you have such vague details. Such as 3,5 and 8. Thanks!

Edited by Tehmelon, 29 March 2014 - 07:00.

#15 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:59

Main problem here is lack of interest.  Like I suggested start with tutorial for new players and then add an update later on for everyone.

Of course everyone was once a leveler and still is even if they PvP.  If you gain a level you leveled you are a leveler.  Do I gain levels frequently as other levelers no, but I do level once my levels are low yes.  I'm a leveler but I'm not a fast leveler. 

"Risk free" would defeat the whole purpose again.  PvP is not risk free every take you hit is a risk, simple fact.  You can lose 5 levels or none.  Depending on how you handle and play the game is the factor.  If you are going to cry and moan about the 5 levels you lose then PvP isn't for you.  PvP is risk and that risk has to be shown.  It's an aspect of a game and fun as another too. There are a lot of good ideas out there and if BG just puts them all together I'm sure there will be an update that will be favored by the majority of the community.

Fair points...

The key though is if you want people to try something, but folks are afraid of the risk, eliminate the risk for just one event and see how it goes... say even 5% of the population get addicted to the play style, you've had a big success. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here...

AS you point out, any update favored by the majority I am all for... if I'm in the minority for this "radical" idea, then so be it... let the good times roll.

#16 Melons

Melons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:06

Fair points...

The key though is if you want people to try something, but folks are afraid of the risk, eliminate the risk for just one event and see how it goes... say even 5% of the population get addicted to the play style, you've had a big success. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here...

AS you point out, any update favored by the majority I am all for... if I'm in the minority for this "radical" idea, then so be it... let the good times roll.

PvP is all about the risk. That's why it's so different from other aspects of the game and treated differently by many.  When you go out titan hunting do you expect the titan to bounty you? Of course not lol. But when I hit someone I expect to lose 5.  So when people propose a no-risk event for PvP that won't work when they try the real thing.

Edited by Tehmelon, 29 March 2014 - 07:07.

#17 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:09

PvP is all about the risk. That's why it's so different from other aspects of the game and treated differently by many.  When you go out titan hunting do you expect the titan to bounty you? Of course not lol. But when I hit someone I expect to lose 5.  So when people propose a no-risk event for PvP that won't work when they try the real thing.

That's fine.. merely another suggestion of many. No pillow fight then. Good luck

#18 Bildor

Bildor

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:23

Deleted a weird double post.

Edited by Bildor, 29 March 2014 - 07:27.

#19 Bildor

Bildor

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:24

If those ideas were limited to an opt-in button, that sounds exactally like the ladder we have right now.  Just a couple of extra small update that are suppose to "fix" it.  Everyone, besides new players, should be included in PvP.  This is a PvP game and adding another optional button for PvP would not help at all. I could be wrong about that, though.  But just my thought and opinion, not trying to be harsh.

i've been playing FS for over 5 years and don't consider this a solely PvP game. In fact, i hardly PvP at all. This game has A LOT of different  aspects, something for everyone. i don't understand why some people want to force other people to play a part of the game they don't care for. You will just drive them away. How is that good for FS? I'm all for new PvP events, improving the ladder and arena, new prizes, and whatever else that will make PvP enjoyable for people who engage in that activity, as long as I am not forced to participate.

#20 rowbeth

rowbeth

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:27

There have been tons of changes to game that favor leveling faster; easier, and safer - yet some won't be happy until PvP is dead entirely

A major reason for this is that many of those who push PVP insist that it has to be inflicted on everyone, whether they like it or not. Most of the non-PVPers I have heard from (and I suspect that includes as many farmers and merchants as levellers, byt the way) would be happy for anything to happen with PVP provided they were allowed to opt out of it. But if one is going to insist that everyone should have to suffer one's own favourite aspect of the game - even if others absolutely hate that aspect - then is it a surprise that the opponents will take an extreme position to avoid it?

- most could care less about betterment of game globally - they simply serve their own selfish agendas; often pretending they have intent to partake if more compromise suitable to them is made, yet it is lies - they are simple trolls to progress, and nothing is waiting on the other side of their rainbows for them - they are just too blinded to understand it.

The thing that has always struck me as puzzling about the PVP debates is that the "I want to get my enjoyment from thumping you, whether you like it or not" is so often portrayed as the unselfiish position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: