Photo

[UNOFFICIAL] Talenttheory hosted online

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 KBZoldyck

KBZoldyck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:00

So it seems that talenttheory is down now but I made a backup of its source. Made some modification, target level is now 49.

The only disadvantage for now is you cant save your build using a bookmark..

So here ya go!

http://talenttheoryu...bitballoon.com/

For those who have problems accessing the page here is an alternative one:

http://tinyurl.com/talenttheory

If it still doesnt work you can download this offline webpage (in html format): extract the file and open it with any browser :)

http://tinyurl.com/offlinetalenttheory

NOTE:

To preserve your talent allocations and to be able to revisit them please make a screenshot or an image of your build.

UPDATE: 

Talenttheory is up again, please use this official link: http://talenttheory.com/calc

-KBZoldyck

Edited by KBZoldyck, 16 July 2017 - 08:00.

#2 gotan

gotan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:01

KBZ ..

Thanks for this!  It's good news.

Otoh the bad news is that i just tried to access the bitballoon link and it takes forever to load.

And it's not diplaying properly on my machine.  HTML5 issue?

#3 KBZoldyck

KBZoldyck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:07

KBZ ..

Thanks for this!  It's good news.

Otoh the bad news is that i just tried to access the bitballoon link and it takes forever to load.

And it's not diplaying properly on my machine.  HTML5 issue?

Here in an alternative one: http://tinyurl.com/talenttheory

Post UPDATED! Thanks for the feedback. :)

#4 Alendra

Alendra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:09

I think a little warning before the shutdown could be polite and reasonable... At least to show a bit of respect for the people who worked on it  :)

#5 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 15 July 2017 - 17:28

Hello everyone, LTNS.  Fortunately I still lurk on occasion.  I've even been tempted to post several times, especially when I see someone taking Wild Instincts on a ranger build ;).

Talent Theory is up again for now.  Unfortunately the issue is not so easy, so only a matter of time before it crashes again.  It's currently hosted on what was a small corner of a corporate site.  The server is now obsolete and no longer receiving updates.  There's only one other site hosted there now, once that is moved it will be prohibitively expensive.

I'll be seeing Eric (WowRefugee, the original author and owner of the server).  We'll discuss the future of TT.  Some ideas we have include:

1)  Clean up some code (remove proprietary information from comments regarding the server) and open source.  Hopefully someone will take over.  The code is not the best, as parts of the code were used for experiments, and in other parts shortcuts were taken.  (We also never finished implementing the additional features we had planned, but that won't affect anything.)

2)  Just give the code to someone else, let them figure out what to do with it.  Still requires removing proprietary comments, but less concerned with the code itself.  Probably the easiest for us.  If we decide we like this option we'll ask for volunteers.

3)  Move the source to a new server.  Either a free server, or another proprietary server.

4)  Move to new server and partially open source.  Doing this we can avoid the code clean-up, but we'll have to act as gatekeepers for check-in.

5)  For KBZoldyck, good job of recreating.  Glad to see the interest.  Another possibility would be working with you on it.

6)  A temporary solution would be giving my e-mail to someone and having them contact me when the server crashes so I can get it rebooted.  That will work until the server is shut down.

What we don't want is abandonware, and will do our best to avoid that.  Although we haven't played in ages, we still like and respect the game and wish it success.  And maybe some day we will get back (I never did finish questing or gearing at 49).

As always, suggestions and feedback welcome.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#6 gotan

gotan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 18:35

Wow many thanks to Meleager, who has been a great contributor over the several years I have been an Eldevin fan!  I need to give further thanks to Eric and KBZoldyck. This has been an amazingly useful tool and should not be allowed to go away! If push comes to shove,  I would be happy to contribute to support moving it to one of the many relatively inexpensive web hosts. PM me if that's the plan.

Oh and btw.. the tinyurl link worked KBZ!

Edited by gotan, 15 July 2017 - 18:36.

#7 Tankh

Tankh

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 22:40

Yay! Thank you for bringing back Talent Theory. *Prepares a respec like always*
I am a million steps ahead, people don't understand and want me dead. I know true knowledge making me bright, eventually people see that I was right. - Tankh. ;D

#8 Poseidonn

Poseidonn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 23:36

Respect

#9 KBZoldyck

KBZoldyck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:58

Hello everyone, LTNS.  Fortunately I still lurk on occasion.  I've even been tempted to post several times, especially when I see someone taking Wild Instincts on a ranger build ;).

Talent Theory is up again for now.  Unfortunately the issue is not so easy, so only a matter of time before it crashes again.  It's currently hosted on what was a small corner of a corporate site.  The server is now obsolete and no longer receiving updates.  There's only one other site hosted there now, once that is moved it will be prohibitively expensive.

I'll be seeing Eric (WowRefugee, the original author and owner of the server).  We'll discuss the future of TT.  Some ideas we have include:

1)  Clean up some code (remove proprietary information from comments regarding the server) and open source.  Hopefully someone will take over.  The code is not the best, as parts of the code were used for experiments, and in other parts shortcuts were taken.  (We also never finished implementing the additional features we had planned, but that won't affect anything.)

2)  Just give the code to someone else, let them figure out what to do with it.  Still requires removing proprietary comments, but less concerned with the code itself.  Probably the easiest for us.  If we decide we like this option we'll ask for volunteers.

3)  Move the source to a new server.  Either a free server, or another proprietary server.

4)  Move to new server and partially open source.  Doing this we can avoid the code clean-up, but we'll have to act as gatekeepers for check-in.

5)  For KBZoldyck, good job of recreating.  Glad to see the interest.  Another possibility would be working with you on it.

6)  A temporary solution would be giving my e-mail to someone and having them contact me when the server crashes so I can get it rebooted.  That will work until the server is shut down.

What we don't want is abandonware, and will do our best to avoid that.  Although we haven't played in ages, we still like and respect the game and wish it success.  And maybe some day we will get back (I never did finish questing or gearing at 49).

As always, suggestions and feedback welcome.

Looking forward on it! thanks for the info :)

Wow many thanks to Meleager, who has been a great contributor over the several years I have been an Eldevin fan!  I need to give further thanks to Eric and KBZoldyck. This has been an amazingly useful tool and should not be allowed to go away! If push comes to shove,  I would be happy to contribute to support moving it to one of the many relatively inexpensive web hosts. PM me if that's the plan.

Oh and btw.. the tinyurl link worked KBZ!

Glad it worked. :)

Yay! Thank you for bringing back Talent Theory. *Prepares a respec like always*

Np Ankhy.

Respect

You **** xD

#10 kidref

kidref

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:55

i can enter on the bookmark i did on old tank builds :)

#11 kidref

kidref

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 18:54

http://talenttheory.com/calc/

that work 4 me

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size: