#1 OnionGroove

OnionGroove

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 15 February 2014 - 18:58

...in that RP I started writing here in oh...2006-ish...some of you might remember..."Skin Deep" it was called...

A few folks seemed to like it quite a bit and urged me to actually publish it, and I said I would...

Yeah, yeah, I know, **looks at watch** SEVEN FREAKING YEARS LATER.  No, it's not out yet, not even close.  BUT...I thought that perhaps if anyone who liked it then and wanted to see it published might still be interested, I'd post updates here.

Not like I'd be hogging forum space.  :P

So, it's my hope to have a manuscript finished and ready to send to a publisher by the end of this year.  I say hope, rather than intent because stories are living, they are fluid, and sometimes they get bigger then you expect them to be.  What was originally "Skin Deep" has become simply massive, and that will no longer be the title of the finished work.

I want to apologize to everyone who wanted a book long before now for keeping you waiting.  Believe me when I say that the thing called "Real Life" nearly killed me.  OG's story was the last thing on my mind for a while (but never far from it).

My subconscious kept kicking me in the ass though, dropping me hints every now and again.

Once I came to a point (almost a year and a half ago, now) where I could no longer deny the undeniable, I began the necessary rewrite.  There were names that needed to be changed, first and foremost;  when you're writing an RP/fanfic for a closed community, no one really cares much if you're nicking a name or two from Anne Rice or Clive Barker.  Or Elfquest.  Or Star Trek.  THOUGH, I'm hoping I can get away with that last one...she has resisted every single name-change I've attempted.  Fortunately, it's not the name of a ST character, but rather a location.  If you remember who I'm talking about ( :lol:  :D I ought to give you a USP if you do) then...well...you know what I mean.  If you have no idea, that's ok.

Anyway...

Once I started doing those name changes, I knew I needed to research elements of the story.  And that was when it exploded and became what it is now.  So there's the other time-muncher.  Research.  I don't mind research, I'm a genealogist, so it's in my nature, it's the fact that I don't have internet, so I have to do what little I can when I can.  Thank Gods for flash drives!

So...I have to run, but I want to share something extremely profound (for me, anyway) I've realized while researching.

JRR Tolkien didn't draw on Norse Mythology when he created Middle-Earth.  Middle-Earth is Norse Mythology. ;)

"In the end, you will always kneel."

"Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye."

#2 akbar

akbar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:52

While I cannot say that I recall the roleplay, I am always on the lookout for something good to read.  And, I do not mind proofreading/editting if you need it.  My wife did that for a living for several years, so I picked up a few tips from her.  I know how expensive a professional proofreader can be, and when you operate on a budget, a bit of free help can go a long way.

Since I know that you have limited access to Yahoo, here is my email if you feel like talking about it a bit:

cmdevans@gmail.com

Hero to benjirocks, what else matters?

#3 OnionGroove

OnionGroove

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 19:36

While I cannot say that I recall the roleplay, I am always on the lookout for something good to read.  And, I do not mind proofreading/editting if you need it.  My wife did that for a living for several years, so I picked up a few tips from her.  I know how expensive a professional proofreader can be, and when you operate on a budget, a bit of free help can go a long way.

Since I know that you have limited access to Yahoo, here is my email if you feel like talking about it a bit:

cmdevans@gmail.com

Oh, thank you, thank you.  I will keep that in mind when I reach that point.  :D

#4 OnionGroove

OnionGroove

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 00:48

The problem with working with Gods (in a literary sense, of course) is that once they realize they have your full attention, they will grab it and run with it ten trillion miles.  :blink:  :lol:  And good luck hitchhiking your way back. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: