Photo

PvE ranger guide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Atlantean

Atlantean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 14:54

I've seen a few guide topics so I thought I'd start my own, after a year of playing as a PvE ranger.

It might seem trivial but the first trick to being a PvE ranger is movement. Speed is key, so socket the best Zirconia you have. Second is build. Here is my current build: http://tinyurl.com/atlantean49 (I'll add another point in Quick Draw once the level 50 cap comes out). Be prepared to use pots quite a bit, especially if your defensive gems aren't too high. Onyx are best as a PvE ranger. Change the shortcut keys to Alt+ instead of Ctrl+ too, as the latter will slow your movement (thanks Magina). I like to put Health in 1, Stamina in 2, and Mana in 3. Also I put Pineapples in 4 to restore my Health and Mana during battles.

Something to keep in mind as a ranger is to always Haemorrhage first. Not only will this bleed the enemy but it will increase your ranged attacks by 10%. You simply cannot expect to go into combat wholeheartedly without it. If you were a PvP ranger I'd add a point in Exit Wound but as a PvE ranger I've left it out. Which brings me to critical hits and the order of my Spell Bar (attached below).

As a PvE ranger, critical is highly preferred over a PvP ranger as bleeds aren't affected by critical hits, though Magina may have another reason for that. I will attach an image of my spell bar (thanks Tactile), but always remember to Torrent before Storm or Spectral Barrage, as they are the two most powerful attacks. If I were to attack a single target, I'd start with Haemorrhage, followed by other bleeds not affected by critical hits such as Envenom (usually Blazing Arrow as well as the cooldown is quite short). Then Torrent, followed by Tornado, Monsoon, then Storm or Spectral Barrage. As the cast time of Torrent is 15 seconds however, you can afford to throw in at least three more attacks before applying Storm or Spectral Barrage. Things like Blood Fang, Blazing Arrow, Detonate and Black Fang are best, as they will increase your chances of a critical hit.

Also I like to Storm before Spectral Barrage as the cooldown is less, so if you follow the rotation you can Storm + Spectral Barrage + Storm instead of only doing two and having to wait for cooldown. Also Black Fang is of course a staple so throw that in whenever you can.

But to get back to the topic of being a PvE ranger, as I said earlier movement is key. Round up mobs while running and bleed them with Blazing Arrow if you need to. This makes it easier if you have a Slow belt, and you can then Detonate them as well.

Which brings me to Celestial Recall. This talent is extremely useful as a ranger as movement is key once again. If you need to get out of a mosh pit quickly, use Celestial Recall followed by the usual Torrent, Tornado, Monsoon rotation. This is where I like my Gale Force too because you can stun them and then Monsoon them while you run away. In fact I always Monsoon after Tornado instead of the other way around because Tornado has a slower channel time.

Also, the reason I don't have Creeping Vines is because I run dungeons as well and find this to be more of a PvP talent so I have no real experience with that as a PvE ranger and don't use it.

As for my Spell Bar, I have it up so so that my 'F' key is Redemption, 'R' is blind, and 'G' is either Conceal or Righteous Defence depending on whether I'm using my shield or not (when rounding up 50+ mobs). I move these talents around accordingly. As for the last three available slots, you can either make them Silence, Resurrect or Taunt, or anything else.

Also I'll give my typical rotation in dungeons, which is Detonate, Blazing Arrow, Torrent, Tornado, Monsoon, Detonate, Storm, followed by anything else. This is because Detonate has a fairly short cooldown time, especially with Haste buff.

Attached Thumbnails

• spellbar.png

Atlantean, PvE ranger

Lemurian, CC tank

Argonian, Ours is to smile at your passing, friend

Knight of Noir, Slave of the moonlight

Airmid, Herbalist healer

Anunnakian, Templar of the pantheon

Laniakean, Immense heaven

#2 Atlantean

Atlantean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:43

Oh, I forgot to add that 'E' is my Celestial Recall key, and ` (tilde) is my select nearest target key.

Atlantean, PvE ranger

Lemurian, CC tank

Airmid, Herbalist healer

#3 HellSky

HellSky

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 14:08

nice :D

#4 Sascaroth

Sascaroth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 22:09

thank you for this guide, i will be referring back to this, as i level my pve ranger alt.

Sascaroth: Pro Crit Healer

Sarus: Noob Ranged DPS 

#5 PXT

PXT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Badge

Posted 21 January 2016 - 00:27

I use Creeping Vines for mobs. I run in a large circle, get them to "bunch up" Creeping Vines (which holds them in place) Detonate, Blazing Arrow, Tornado, Detonate, Storm and even high lvl mobs are Toast. 

Target Storm close to you if the mob is still snared, let them run into the Storm and they are done.

Edited by PXT, 21 January 2016 - 00:28.

PXT

#6 ElCato

ElCato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 23:08

Spectral Barrage is somehow useless. I took it away from spellbar. It does only 90% damage of standard attack with equal haste. So no benefit. And if you do standard attack you regain mana on top. And as long as it fires you cannot cast anything else. And if you use steal health on hit gem it is even better without it.

#7 Ponylicious

Ponylicious

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:02

Spectral Barrage is somehow useless. I took it away from spellbar. It does only 90% damage of standard attack with equal haste. So no benefit. And if you do standard attack you regain mana on top. And as long as it fires you cannot cast anything else. And if you use steal health on hit gem it is even better without it.

Spectral Barrage fires 2 shots every second, that means the dps is already 180%. It's a really good single target spell especially when you're fighting bosses.

"In a world full of idiots, it is better to have more following you and less against you. But if you find another smart person and have them join you, even at the cost of the rest of the world going against you, just do it. Just do it."

zusmCdf.png

#8 ElCato

ElCato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:39

Pony is right. My wrong calculation based on 1,66 shot per Sec.
And it deals 95% damage each shot.
But my result is the same: Doing standard attack interfered with other major attacks has benefits.

Edited by ElCato, 23 January 2016 - 08:42.

#9 ElCato

ElCato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:42

And we should mention the wild familiar!
Pve solo: get it.
Pve groups: not really necessary.

#10 getonskype

getonskype

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 22:49

how do you apply your attribute points? 3 focus 3 range? 1 f 5 r?

#11 KeS

KeS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts
  • Badge

Posted 26 January 2016 - 00:14

how do you apply your attribute points? 3 focus 3 range? 1 f 5 r?

Depends on your preference once you understand the game.

Some rangers do all ranged per level; I used to do 4 ranged, 1 vitality, and 1 mana per level.

Focus is useless for some rangers but that depends on your build but you can get major focus from some dirks....

The world is cruel...as will I....

#12 ElCato

ElCato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 22:43

Ranger = dps. And you not get dps from giving points in vit or energy.
I have a ranger that did all in ranged with good result - but not relaxed to play. Dies pretty easy. And nearly never dodges or evades anything. Just run run run. Stressful. Effective in groups.
My 2nd ranger did 1 in vit, 1 in focus and 4 in ranged: result is very relaxed pve with a lot crits. Very good for solo pve.

Edited by ElCato, 28 January 2016 - 22:49.

#13 Atlantean

Atlantean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:18

I use Creeping Vines for mobs. I run in a large circle, get them to "bunch up" Creeping Vines (which holds them in place) Detonate, Blazing Arrow, Tornado, Detonate, Storm and even high lvl mobs are Toast. 

Target Storm close to you if the mob is still snared, let them run into the Storm and they are done.

Yeah I think I've seen you do this in Crannoch Castle, and it would be very effective indeed. I like how Creeping Vines snares them for so long, but it's a talent useless in dungeons like ASV so I've decided not to use it. But it's definitely an easier and safer alternative for sure.

Atlantean, PvE ranger

Lemurian, CC tank

Airmid, Herbalist healer

#14 Atlantean

Atlantean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:31

Also another new technique I've started using to mix it up a bit (as I get bored of using Storm all the time as it's noisy and goes on for ages afterwards) is to use Torrent, Detonate and Blazing Arrow (fully talented) while they're following you, then Monsoon and Tornado to stun, run away a bit, maybe throw in another Blazing Arrow, then run into the mosh pit, select nearest target and Detonate. Usually kills them all.

Atlantean, PvE ranger

Lemurian, CC tank

Airmid, Herbalist healer

#15 Removed18058

Removed18058

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip