RISDMAC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Badge
  • Ireland

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:49

Shouldnt the xp gained from gathering 2 fish all be the same, 3 fish higher than 2 but all the same, 4 higher again etc etc?

Instead I've been getting really erratic numbers. sometimes gathering 2 is much higher than 3, being almost the same as 4.

The screen below probably explains it better.

fishing.png

I am not running any potions at the time of the screen

#2 Bryn

Bryn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:40

I believe it is not just the amount of fish but also the amount of time...

Bryn -  Prophet - lvl 45

Ullr -   Ranger -   lvl 32

Thud - Warrior - lvl 16

Payn -  Templar - lvl 16

Jinx -  Mage -      lvl 10

__________________________________________________________________________________

Foraging - 45 | Farming - 45 | Prospecting - 45 | Forestry - 45 | Skinning - 34 | Fishing - 45 | Crystal - 45

Alchemy - 45 | Cooking - 45 | Tailoring - 9 | Leather - 9

#3 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 17 May 2014 - 15:00

I believe it is not just the amount of fish but also the amount of time...

Partially correct.  Time, number of fish, xp booster, and bait all effect XP gained.

What JQuan is correctly pointing out, even when all the above are identical the XP has a random factor.  I don't believe any other gathering profession has this.

I've always just accepted it as part of fishing, setting it apart a bit more from other professions.  And it is (kind of sort of) realistic.  Go to the same fishing spot twice.  One day the fish are jumping at your hook with no effort required.  The next day they all go on a health food diet and have to be tricked to bite.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#4 Cygnus

Cygnus

Game Programmer

• Hunted Cow Staff
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Badge

Posted 29 May 2014 - 17:17

The fishing duration and quantity gained make the most notable differences. Both of these vary within margins.

Some extra randomness comes from the bait specifically. Before there was a quantity bonus a random bonus was added an attempt to compensate for the xp hit when using bait. This didn't scale very well though so the quantity bonus was added for all gathering (bringing things more into line with crafting). The random bait bonus was tweaked a bit but left in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: