Photo

[Suggestion] RSS feed for titans

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Should there be a titan RSS feed? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be a titan RSS feed?

1. Yes (9 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. No (5 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 aa0007

aa0007

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 29 July 2013 - 19:29

A simple suggestion, really.

Would it be possible to create an RSS feed for titan spawns/defeats? It would help separate the medal and guild achievement posts from the titan posts, and should be fairly simple to implement.

Thanks,

AA

#2 WWWolf

WWWolf

Posted 29 July 2013 - 20:04

I believe something like this has been suggested before and had a lot of interest but somewhere in the mix it got forgotten :(

Now that there has been the addition of the "New Medals" announcements, perhaps those should be broken out as well to another section.  Maybe even give an option to turn these announcements off or on?

#3 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 21:10

The downside to this is I may not log in every hour like I currently do :)

#4 gomezkilla

gomezkilla

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 21:22

I would also like to be able to click a toggle where I could get emails or texts for when a Titan was spotted for when I'm not online.

#5 Lokmar12

Lokmar12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Badge

Posted 29 July 2013 - 21:51

I would also like to be able to click a toggle where I could get emails or texts for when a Titan was spotted for when I'm not online.

+1 I like this idea. Many a times i missed an opportunity to hunt a titan when i am offline. I'd like to be able to receive a text saying a XXXX titan was spawned so i can choose to hunt it or not.

#6 aa0007

aa0007

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 00:01

This was actually my purpose for asking for a titan rss feed.

http://blogtrottr.com/

Apparently, this does instant RSS feed updates ... so you can get an email or text when the titan has spawned (for text, use ##########@yourcarriersspecificaddress.com). Do a quick google search on how to send texts through email and you'll get a bunch of results.

#7 gilby90813

gilby90813

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:09

this sounds like a great  idea to me

#8 gomezkilla

gomezkilla

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 19:21

Kind of off-topic, but is there a limit to how many Titans can be out at a time? It seems like there have been very few that have come out in the last 3 days as well as very few that have been defeated.. (Not counting the 3 that have been defeated today)

#9 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:32

I don't want to be 'that guy' really but, wouldn't this idea kind of go against the 'raise participation' ideas that are going about lately?

I mean, if you didn't have to log in to check on the titans and you could just wait for an email/text... Not sure this would be good for the game in the long run.

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#10 gomezkilla

gomezkilla

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:00

I don't want to be 'that guy' really but, wouldn't this idea kind of go against the 'raise participation' ideas that are going about lately?

I mean, if you didn't have to log in to check on the titans and you could just wait for an email/text... Not sure this would be good for the game in the long run.

Good point. I guess this would be bad in the long run

#11 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:06

Doom, I wouldn't worry about the RSS stuff to be honest. They already have an RSS feed which is flaky and unreliable at best.

It usually doesn't load right and is more temperamental than cat being bathed. I'd be on board with those saying much more useful things which could be coded.

RSS feed for the curious: http://admin.fallens...static/news.rss

#12 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:12

Come to think of it, what could be useful (if done correctly) is allowing people to OPT IN to received emails when there's a titan spawn or news update.

Most people have smartphones which receive email straight to their phones while they are out and about. HCS already uses Lyris (http://www.lyris.com...cts/listmanager) for a lot of their email services.

Problem is the coder effort and the benefit to this. What does HCS gain from having this feature coded in from a business perspective? What makes it more important than other things? (food for thought)

#13 gomezkilla

gomezkilla

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:15

Come to think of it, what could be useful (if done correctly) is allowing people to OPT IN to received emails when there's a titan spawn or news update.

This is what I would like to have.

#14 aa0007

aa0007

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:19

Most people have smartphones which receive email straight to their phones while they are out and about. HCS already uses Lyris (http://www.lyris.com...cts/listmanager) for a lot of their email services.

Problem is the coder effort and the benefit to this. What does HCS gain from having this feature coded in from a business perspective? What makes it more important than other things? (food for thought)

From a business perspective, it means that you'll possibly have more activity when a desirable titan spawns. More competition because more people know its online means more players playing the game :D.

#15 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:25

From a business perspective, it means that you'll possibly have more activity when a desirable titan spawns. More competition because more people know its online means more players playing the game :D.

I can see many things which trump that though.

Things such as composing and improved code[for example] would do a lot more for long term player retention, and meeting a wider player audience. This is what HCS needs to consider when they do things.

Cost & Effort vs ROI (of the time and effort)

#16 aa0007

aa0007

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:30

I can see many things which trump that though.

Things such as composing and improved code[for example] would do a lot more for long term player retention, and meeting a wider player audience. This is what HCS needs to consider when they do things.

Cost & Effort vs ROI (of the time and effort)

That is true. I was offering an answer to part one of your question, not part 2 :D.

#17 Mister Doom

Mister Doom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,518 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:53

This still comes back to the problem of people not logging in as much. (because they don't have to)

HCS has a bad habit of doing things in this game that actually enable us to play less, I find this to be pretty unusual.

Take max stam for instance, they actually give us a way so that we can accrue enough max stam to not have to play for a month. (38 days in my case, even more for you, right?)

When people have to log in to check for things, they then have the opportunity to talk to some people they might miss if they could just wait for emails, they might see an interesting FSBOX, homepage ad or announcement. They might decide to have a quick browse of the AH and see something they wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Having the option to opt in to these emails is pretty much the same as just having it mandatory. The people who log in to check for titans (and then do all of these other things as a result) are going to just abandon these other activities in favour of the emails. In my opinion, FS would be much worse off.

Of course there is also the other side of the coin, a person might not have logged in on a certain day if they hadn't received the email. Which one would end up with the most activity in the game though, I'm guessing it's the one that has people actually logging in to manually verify.

EnhancedShardoom1-1.gif

#18 tharzill

tharzill

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:07

This still comes back to the problem of people not logging in as much. (because they don't have to)

HCS has a bad habit of doing things in this game that actually enable us to play less, I find this to be pretty unusual.

Take max stam for instance, they actually give us a way so that we can accrue enough max stam to not have to play for a month. (38 days in my case, even more for you, right?)

When people have to log in to check for things, they then have the opportunity to talk to some people they might miss if they could just wait for emails, they might see an interesting FSBOX, homepage ad or announcement. They might decide to have a quick browse of the AH and see something they wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Having the option to opt in to these emails is pretty much the same as just having it mandatory. The people who log in to check for titans (and then do all of these other things as a result) are going to just abandon these other activities in favour of the emails. In my opinion, FS would be much worse off.

Of course there is also the other side of the coin, a person might not have logged in on a certain day if they hadn't received the email. Which one would end up with the most activity in the game though, I'm guessing it's the one that has people actually logging in to manually verify.

I have noticed on more than one occasion that the number of online players seems to trend upward around the time titans are due to spawn.  That might not happen if players didn't have to log on to check. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: