Photo

The Tanker's Path

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 Munnak

Munnak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:01

===================================================================================================

The Tanker's Path

===================================================================================================

An guide for those who want to walk into the first line of the combat

- Updates -

03/14

- Grammar correction. (always in progress)

- Change the text that was ignoring the need of DPS and wrong ideas. (done)

- Added DPS value per Melee point. (done)

- Deleted the topic "The Lack of Points". (done)

- Added the topic "Build Samples". (done)

- Add the total of status at level 40 (with all base parameters plus minimal items boost). (upcoming)

- Introduction -

This guide is for those with no experience with tanking and for those who want someone else's view point of the art of tanking.

Here I will explain what is an tanker and the building that is most suitable to tank the most powerful creatures in Eldevin. And be aware that most of my comments is based on my experience as Tanker in WoW(one of the most complex tankers, obviously I used to play before Burning Crusade and stopped when Cataclysm was released) and a vast list of MMORPGs that I already played (from Ultima Online/ Tibia/ RuneScape/ Mapplestory/ Flyff to nowadays).

Obs.: This guide was made in the 1.04 version of the game.

- The Party -

An classical party is made up of roles that complete each other. And in Eldevin is the same as all the RPG gender games, from top table to the newest MMORPG. Why this happens? Just cause in a game that is multiplayer the developers try everything to the players interact and help/get-on-the-way of each other.

So the party have the guys responsible for the defense; the guys responsible for the damage; and the guys responsible for healing. The perfect party always carry the main tanker and a secondary tanker, cause sometimes is needed someone to control the mob crowd. But in Eldevin i haven't seen anything like this determination cause you would spend an party slot with someone who's DPS (Damage Per Second) is lower compared to any other class. So the guy I'm gonna talk about today is the ones responsible for the defense.

- The First Line Defense -

The Tanker is the guy who is going to the front line and take all damage, call all the enemy's for him, keep the enemy's attention and still survive whistling a happy funny song. Obviously this is only possible if the party have the best friend of an Templar, The Prophet.

The tanker have to be in control of the battle, have to pay attention in every single creature in the screen and have always an card hidden in his pocket to draw at the right time (normally when a Mage cast a high threat skill and draws the attention of the creature and you have to get your taunt ready to use or other high threat skill like Inciting Cry).

​My advises to handle the first line:

- Attention for the moves of your enemy. Most dangerous attacks have an pre-action animation, so pay attention and they will never catch you with the pants into your hands.

- Turn the creature's back to the other players from your party. This way you will know easily when its get the aggro off you. I don't know here in Eldevin, but in some RPGs when you attack from behind the hit chance is bigger and sometimes the critical rate too, in some cases do more damage.

- Keep in mind what is the skill you'll use if: 

Its everything okay and you just have to keep the aggro;

Holly S**** two special attacks/ No time to wait for the heal;

God Curses The Prophet that slept and forgot about the tanker;

If the monster turn his face to anyone that is not you.

- Run at the right time! Some attacks can be avoided by running, this way you avoid using defense skills with no need.

-Experience! The most important! If you already know what the boss is going to do and what the map looks like its easier. So if you'r afraid of tanking it from the first attempt do the dungeon as DPS before doing it as a tanker.

- Building Up The Tanker -

What a tanker needs in Eldevin system? You'r right if you answered Vitality and Melee. Lets take a look at the status of Eldevin:

Vitality

Increases the Maximum Health and Health Regeneration.

Sure its the most important, cause in Eldevin you don't have an status for the defense value like others RPGs. So the most HP (Health Points) you have, more damage you can handle.

Obs.: I tested and it gives 20hp per point.

Focus

Increases your Accuracy and Critical Hit Chances.

An good attribute to waste points on, cause avoid missing attacks.

Obs.: I tested and it gives 0.34% Accuracy and 0.18% Critical Chance per point.

Energy

Increases your Maximum Mana and the Mana Regeneration.

Don't even think in waste points here. Remember that every level you get 1 free point in each attribute.

Melee

Increases your Attack Power for Melee.

The second attribute that you have to get, cause is the damage you deal and you need a minimum damage to make a good threat to the enemy.

Obs.: I tested and gives 16 Attack Power and 1.3 DPS per point.

Ranged

Increases your Attack Power for Ranged.

Nothing to do with this guide.

Sorcery

Increases your Attack Power for Magic and Healing Power.

If you plan to solo through the game and want to heal your self there is a build for that, but you'll lose talent and attribute points in things that you don't need as an tanker (there is a healer there for you).

So after looking through the stats we can get some conclusions to the points allocation. We have 6 points to waste every level that makes an total of 234. (6 points x 40 levels - 6 points, cause we start at level 1)

So here is good ways to waste your points:

Note: The calculations don't count the +1 you get into all stats after leveling up.

6 Vit

The purist! this will give you 120 HP per level and a final total of 4680 HP only with the allocated points.

5 Vit 1 Mel

Making a total of 100 HP per level; A final total of 3900 HP; And 1.3 DPS per level making a total of 63.7 DPS. (Just to remember i'm not counting on any item or buff)

5 Vit 1 Foc

Making a total of 100 HP per level; A final total of 3900 HP; 13.26% of Accuracy and 7.02% of Critical          Chance.

4 Vit 2 Mel

A total of 80 HP per level; A final total of 3120 HP; And 2.6 DPS per level making a total of 127.4 DPS.

4 Vit 1 Mel 1 Foc

A total of 80 HP per level; A final total of 3120 HP; 1.3 DPS per level making a total of 63.7 DPS.; 13.26% of Accuracy and 7.02% of Critical Chance.

3 Vit 3 Mel

A total of 60 HP per level; A final total of 2940 HP; And 3.9 DPS per level making a total of 191.1 DPS.

What i go for? What the ancient veterans said and its obviously right and I was blind by the early game is that you need points in Melee. Why? You need DPS to make threat and there is an minimal DPS required to get the aggro to you. The veteran awollsd spread the word of a minimum 750 DPS [that you can find your at your "C"(Character Sheet) just below the Attack Power] and to start to get more comfortable you have to aim 825 - 900 DPS. So I have changed my build (and i really was not holding aggro with 5Vit 1Foc in The Vault). And as he also said: No need to overpower the health if you will be always healed. So the 3 Vit 3Mel or 4Vit 2Mel are the ones to go for.

Now that you have understood the attribute points you need to know two more things to build your tanker up like an adamantium wall. The Equipment and the Talents. In Eldevin we don't have much option to make mistakes when the topic is equipment, but in Talents you have to watch close what you gonna put.

So lets solve the easier: 

Equipment

Just have to go for Vit bonus in every little piece of your apparel. In weapon I would go for Health Steal that makes the damages less painful, cause your attacking speed is good. 

Try to balance your build. In Eldevin what makes a difference is the gems, so try to get what is left for you. If you didn't get the minimum DPS advised  go for Melee, but if everything is fine a little Vitality is never a bad idea.

So what lasts to understand the tanker is the Talents that you'll use.

Talents

What you have to aim in talents is simple: Threat/DPS > Damage Reduction > Block

Lets take a look at the Talents, but this time ill not do like stats that the build is separated from the overview. The Talent list is too big to mess with it.

Here we go:

= Tier I =

Stoutharted

Increases the bonus defenses received from Heavy Armor items by 2/4/6%.

Max this one as soon as possible. Actually you don't need to worry about tanking until level 15 cause the level 10 instance normally is soloed by a lot of level 20+ good guys that will help newbies. Knowing that you don't need to aim threat at the beginning and can max this one that give more defense.

Born For Combat

Increases the amount of threat that you generate by 25/50%.

Max this before level 14/15 and you'll be fine. If you'r readying and understanding you already know that as a tanker threat is never enough.

Ferocious Taunt

Reduces the cooldown of your Taunt by 25/50s.

You sure need that skill, but not for the starting levels. So if you get 1 level of it before level 14 and the other point around level 16~18 its fine. You probably will need it at level 20 more than level 15 and lower. I'm not sure about the second point. Maybe the 25s reduction is alright and you can save one point. Why? The Elders spoke about something called haste that reduces the cooldown of your skills.

Sweeping Strikes

Increases the damage done by your Bloodbath by 10/20%.

Maybe, but is advised to get more DPS from Impale instead of Bloodbath.

= Tier II =

Impalement

Increases the damage of Impale by 50% Melee DPS.

Get this one! Impale is one of your threat generator and its AoE.

Blood Champion

Your Bloodbath critical strikes replenish you, restoring 5/10/15% of damage dealt as health.

No need for this healing. But a build of 2:2:2 Vit Mel Foc, maybe its good. Just try to be creative and if your build is for critical damage this one will be useful.

Come at Me

Your Taunt now deals 75% of your Melee DPS.

Why you want damage the monster with Taunt? You already draw its attention with Taunt and generate high threat. Is not that bad, but in my opinion its not worth a point.

Conviction

Reduces all damage taken by 2/4%.

Obvious choice. Max this as soon as possible. Normally after Stoutharted.

Righteous

Your Righteous Defense also increases your chance to block by 5/10%.

A really good one, but no need to rush. Why? Righteous Defense costs 5 gold. Just max this after you get Righteous Defense and get used to it too. And it depend on your play style and needs.

= Tier III =

Favor the Righteous

Increase the effectiveness of all healing abilities on you by 5/10/15%.

Awesome one. But no need to rush into it for the first levels. It'll be more needed after level 20. But at endgame I don't think it's really useful since the healers got a lot of healing increase talents. Your choice.

Steadfast

Increases the chance you will block with your shield by 5/10% when you have an Throwing Weapon equipped.

Pick this one as soon as possible too. And keep in mind to stay with throwing weapon stead of bow/crossbow.

Inspiration

Inspires allies with your heroism. Reduces all damage taken by 5% for 60 min.

As soon as it get open to you get it. Must have buff.

Heroic Throw

Jolt silences all enemies within a 2/4 yard radius around the target.

Really useful for PvP. But tankers are meant to be in PvE. I don't know if in late game you'll need silence mobs and the elders haven't pronounced about this talent.

Vindicator

Increases the damage increase from each stack of Vindicate by 2/3/4%.

Good talent, since you always have Vindicate being cast and more damage means more threat. Maybe not worth the 3 points. Maybe you can put 2 points and get the 3% boost. Your choice. 

= Tier IV =

Stalwart

Increases your block damage reduction by 15/30/45%.

You need this one. As soon as you get Steadfast. Max it.

Spiked Armor

Your Taunt ability now applies <Spiked Armor> on you for 6s. Spiked Armor reflects 10/20/30/40% of all incoming damaging back at the attacker.

Not really a bad one. But is 4 points to Max or 3 points to get something good. I just don't think its worth the points.

Look in the Mirror

If you are struck while Righteous Defense is active 2/4/6% damage is ignored.

Really good talent considering you stay with Righteous Defense on all the time you can or you see that an special move is coming.

= Tier V =

Crusade

Increase critical hit chance with melee attacks by 1/2/3% and your basic melee attacks restore 1% total mana.

Not bad, but for a tanker is not worth to Max. The only use i see is one point on it so you don't have to worry about your mana, but just carry mana potions and have the Prophet buff (Enlighten) on and the problem is solved. The mana waste of an Templar is really at low rate. Maybe in another build its good, maybe combined with Blood Champion talent.

Defensive Stance

Fortifies your armor with solid ice. Increases defense by 10%. Increases threat caused by 100%. Reduces damage dealt by 10%.

Must Have of Tankers. 100% threat means its double your threat. And 10% defense is always welcome. Get this as soon as possible, but in normal monsters you don't need it because normally you are soloing and there is no need to get the aggro on you. And about the 10% defense in normal world you probably can pass through with your normal armor + other damage reduction sources.

Walk it Off

Defensive Instance now increases your Maximum Heath by 10%.

If you got Defensive Stance you must get this glorious bonus. 10% of 6000 is 600, that is a good bonus.

Toughened Adventurer

When you block you regenerate 1/2/3% of your mana.

Mana again. No need for mana regeneration. If in future updates they add new healing/magical powers to Templar it'll be needed, but for now not.

= Tier VI =

Tremor

Slams the ground with ferocious force. Deals 105% Melee DPS. Stuns for 2s.

As the old Templars from Eldevin said: You should get this cause you have some use during dungeons to the stun.

Fragmentation

Tremor deals an additional 15/30/45% Melee DPS.

More DPS more Threat and so you don't let the aggro goes off. You can save a point putting only 2 points here and getting 30% bonus that's already good.

Inciting Cry

Sends chills through your enemies letting them know that they'll have to go through you first. Applies <Taunted> to all enemies for 6s. Causes high amount of threat.

Taunt plus AoE need to say anything else? 

Deafening Voice

Inciting Cry reduces damage dealt by affected targets by 10/20%.

Get this cause 20% damage reduced is like a defense bonus.

= Tier VII =

Resolute

Increases the duration of your Taunt by 3/6s.

Your taunt will get 7/10 secs duration with this one. Really good cause combined with the Ferocious Taunt makes possible to flood Taunt on enemies.

I Feel Your Pain

Empathy transfers an additional 10/20% of the damage received and 15/30% of the linked target's threat to you.

This is the talent that makes your Mages and Prophets glad if you have. I really advise Warriors to buy this ability (Empathy) and use it too cause ease down the threat of the other classes that don't use Heavy Armor (more Vitality boost)  and don't waste points on Vitality (some warriors use 5:1 Mel Vit).

Last Stand

When your HP is reduced to less then 20% all damage taken is reduced by 30%.

This talent will save your ass while the healer is still casting or is healing someone else/sleeping at the keyboard. And is just one point to get something that may be in hand. So its good. But remember that you'll be always with healers, as a tanker, so its not a must have, but a good one to have.

Revenge

Whenever you are affected by a negative status effect you gain 5% block rating for 5s.

One point for when i get poison or cursed i receive 5% block for 5 secs? Really sir? Not! I'm not taking this one! really? 5% for 5 secs? if it was 20 or 30% for 5 secs. Or, maybe, 5% through the duration of the negative status. I would be thinking of wasting a point here, but the way its now i think is a trash talent.

= Tier VIII =

Flame Rush

Intercepts with blazing speed. Charges target at 400% movement speed. Deals 125% Melee DPS.

A good one to rush into battle against an player that is trying to escape, but no use at instances cause you have Taunt and Inciting Cry. If this one had Stun effect or high amount of threat it would be a better one to waste point in. The way it is right now is just an average attack that can help you reach the healer faster (the distances in Eldevin between you and the healer is nothing that to make you worry about).

Zealous Defender

Avalanche deals an additional 40/80% Melee DPS and stuns for an additional 1/2s.

I like to put points here cause it gives you more DPS and still stuns for more 1/2 seconds. Its not an must have, but you can pick this depending on you play style.

Blessed Shield

Blesses your shield with Light Magic. Increases chance to block by 50% for 10s.

Really good one. Is a good card to have on your pocket to play at the right time. You can choose to not put a point here to waste in somewhere else, but its all about your play style.

Bathe in Blood

Reduces the cooldown of your Bloodbath ability by 2/3/4s.

Good one to think of putting in, but not needed because you have Vindicate plus Impale all the time you are waiting for Bloodbath. So maybe not worth the 3 points.

= Tier IX =

Frozen Phalanx

Surrounds you with an impenetrable shield of ice. Reduces damage taken by 50% for 12s. Deals 150% Melee DPS to nearby enemies upon expiry.

The ultimate defense of an Templar. You have to know when you have to use it (Special attacks from bosses like the flames of an Dragon). For experienced tankers, but if you don't try you won't be experienced.

Looking the Neighborhood

You cant get blind and don't take a peek at the others talents that could be good for you!

Not talking of trying an hybrid, but sometimes you can get something from the Tier I of another class.

So to us, The Tankers, a good one to go for is the Tier I Warrior talent. Its called Finesse.

Finesse

Increases your melee dodge by 3/6%.

2 points and you get 6% increase of your melee dodge. And dodge is better than defense cause if you dodge an attack you take no damage at all. While defense and block you receive an reduced damage, but still receives damage.

And as we need DPS to cause threat the Battle Hardened talent in Tier I of Warrior can help us.

Battle Hardened

For each piece of heavy armor equipped, you gain an extra 1/2/3% Melee Attack Power.

And maybe if you are missing too much you can sacrifice 3 points for the Assassins talent Expertise.

Expertise

Increase your Melee Accuracy by 5/10/15%.

Just in case you are missing too much.

But if you are going through another build that is not focused in tanking you can take a look at the Prophets Infused Healing and Focused Healing talents.

Build Samples

Here I'll post builds by the name of its creator, so post an build and I'll see if its reasonable and post here.

Remember that it's only examples and you can do it differently as you wish.

Irradiated

Munnak

Munnak II

Munnak III

Munnak IV

Note: I just fooled around with the talent calculator to show that you can do anything that you think is reasonable to your needs and pleasure. But the only build of those that is tested is the one made by Irradiated and the Munnak first one is the one that I'm doing. 

- So we are Done -

Yeah! I think so. Read this guide and you probably will get more ideas from how to be a Tanker. Sure its an flaw guide, but I'll try to update it. So if you guys liked it just click in like and leave your comment. If you have different ideas just post and if I think its an reasonable information i'll add it here and give you credit.

And always remember that its your character and HCS(Hunted Cow Studio) gave us respec, so try on the crazy things that come out of your mind.

Note: Don't forget that the respec cooldown is 60 days or if you have EPs you can respec forever.

Note: Before messing your character use the Talent Calculator to get an idea of what you can do with your points.

http://talenttheory.com/calc/

Thank you for readying,

bye.

Thanks to the Eldevin Templar Elders

Note: If I like your post it may mean: Thank you or I like your Idea. To avoid me flooding the post with unnecessary answers.

Note 2: Running tests to calculate more detailed attributes and give better advice into the attribute section.Until that keep reading and look what the Elders said just a little bit lower the page.

Edited by Munnak, 10 March 2014 - 17:52.

#2 Doja

Doja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:42

Leveling as a Templar (as I am) is rough enough with solo build.  Seems that if you build a true tanker at low levels you'd better always have a party or its really going to suck.  Great guide, but maybe better to switch to a tanker at high levels.

Doja - Level 47

Spellthor - Level 47

Deadeye - Level 36

Deputy_Junior - Level 26

Mike_Rotch - Level 24

#3 Nikopol

Nikopol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:30

You're wrong, because each level gives an additional 20 HP.

#4 sdcrichy

sdcrichy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:03

in one way i like the guide, but in the other where you are saying what talents are needed and not is flawed. saying you don't need tremor is terrible advice. i would have just stuck to the guide on what each talents does and not try give advice on things., because later on your going to have to respec your skill and could cost you EP to do so.

#5 Munnak

Munnak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 15:14

Leveling as a Templar (as I am) is rough enough with solo build.  Seems that if you build a true tanker at low levels you'd better always have a party or its really going to suck.  Great guide, but maybe better to switch to a tanker at high levels.

I'm not feeling that so hard leveling everyone says. My Templar is following this build and i really never died while solo playing. Maybe the difference between me and you is that I don't grind or Mob (lure a lot of monsters and AoE kill). I'm doing all story and side quests and when I get to a new set level I keep running the instance until get the full set. This get me two or three levels just doing dungeons. And the secret is know your limits and have patience.

You're wrong, because each level gives an additional 20 HP.

I was just counting the points you allocate so for an example: if you go for the purist you will have 6 points allocated in vit and 1 extra cause you leveled. so each level you would get 140HP points. (I'll update the player final status after some test)

in one way i like the guide, but in the other where you are saying what talents are needed and not is flawed. saying you don't need tremor is terrible advice. i would have just stuck to the guide on what each talents does and not try give advice on things., because later on your going to have to respec your skill and could cost you EP to do so.

Sorry but i don't really think Tremor is an really good stun for PvE Boss, cause if I spent a point in Tremor I have to sacrifice another talent.And the cooldown is 12s, what make 10s of unstunned mob. What is really good, but in my opinion is not worth a point. But as I said: The character is yours and you can get anything you want! You'r free I'm not an ruler, just a guide.(I'll edit the post cause you look experienced player and know what you'r saying. So is good to everybody knows what is possible)

And the Respec have a cooldown of 60 days what is pretty good time to get the build tested all the way you want. And the cooldown is good to get you afraid of messing too much with your build.

#6 xpwaste

xpwaste

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 16:01

I'm not feeling that so hard leveling everyone says. My Templar is following this build and i really never died while solo playing. Maybe the difference between me and you is that I don't grind or Mob (lure a lot of monsters and AoE kill). I'm doing all story and side quests and when I get to a new set level I keep running the instance until get the full set. This get me two or three levels just doing dungeons. And the secret is know your limits and have patience.

let's talk when quests run out ;)

though i appreciate the effort you have put in! :)

Edited by xpw4ste, 05 March 2014 - 16:03.

Still thinking about new signature

previously:

youtube channel! >> Xpwaste Eldevin 

twitch stream!   >> Xpwaste_Eldevin

PVP is what i like. make it worthwhile!

#7 Mithril

Mithril

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 17:35

let's talk when quests run out ;)

though i appreciate the effort you have put in! :)

wait for him to hit lvl 23 x)

#8 grimnok

grimnok

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 19:08

I think you really need to reconsider your ignoring of DPS talents and attributes. To be an effective tank is more than just surviving, it's about holding aggro on bosses, and groups of creatures.  With little to no points put into melee or DPS talents, you will struggle to hold aggro at higher levels; and if you can't do that consistently, you're not doing well as a templar.

#9 Tidus

Tidus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 19:35

Tremor is a must have imo, Its's needed for the lvl 40 dungeon to stun the jaguars before they stun you and is a good ability to start your rotation with when doing bigger pulls to build aggro. You need dps to help hold aggro on mobs when everybody is using AOE on them. Impale,tremor, and empathy are the only skills that are good for building AOE aggro so I recommend upgrading them.

#10 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 19:42

you should also remember as a tank you're main tasks will be doing dungeons in group play so you will have a healer and when you're not in group play as you said you'll be fighting mostly one on one.... concidering that you only need enough health to survive with a healer healing any more health than that is a waste.... why have 10k health if you never drop below 4k.. that means at any point in time the most damage you had suffered was 6k so any amount higher than that would be enough... the rest of the points can go into melee to increase your dps....

now i'm not going into the talents or skills except to say 1st that as a tank your most needed skills (and ALL talents for them) are tremor, empathy, impale, and inciting cry a tank simply can NOT hold agro without these skills upgraded. and even with these skills upgraded they still NEED a minimum of 750 dps to hold agro at all and at 750 dps will continue to lose agro occasionaly but with a good healer is managable getting 825-900 dps you should start seeing that you never lose agro.

also you said "You cant get blind" that is incorrect infact EVERYONE no matter their class should have blind. AOE 25% dmg reduction should buy and use the scroll there is no requirements for the skill other than buying and using it. same for redemption 

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#11 awollsd

awollsd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 19:44

oh side note i should had mentioned..... almost all of templars threat boosts seem to increase their threat a % of their actual threat (like +150% or +200% or even +400%) that said a % increase of almost nothing is still almost nothing that is why you actualy need to worry about you're dps to hold agro..... you need that base threat generation before you can start increasing it by a percentage.

no longer playing so feel free to ignore more (if i even post) just do still follow forums so MAY comment from time to time. 

#12 Munnak

Munnak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 19:54

also you said "You cant get blind" that is incorrect infact EVERYONE no matter their class should have blind. AOE 25% dmg reduction should buy and use the scroll there is no requirements for the skill other than buying and using it. same for redemption 

The Blind that I was saying is to not ignore the other talents hihi. Not the skill Blind.

And keep coming with your experience on Eldevin... so I can update the post. :lol:   Loving the feedback. :wub:

#13 Bryn

Bryn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 March 2014 - 21:52

You mentioned that Tremor has a 10s cooldown, but that does not take into account Haste from putting points in Melee and gear rolls which will reduce that cooldown to 6s or less.  Stun immunity is 6s, I believe, so reducing the cooldown further is unnecessary.

Bryn -  Prophet - lvl 45

Ullr -   Ranger -   lvl 32

Thud - Warrior - lvl 16

Payn -  Templar - lvl 16

Jinx -  Mage -      lvl 10

__________________________________________________________________________________

Foraging - 45 | Farming - 45 | Prospecting - 45 | Forestry - 45 | Skinning - 34 | Fishing - 45 | Crystal - 45

Alchemy - 45 | Cooking - 45 | Tailoring - 9 | Leather - 9

#14 Swiggity

Swiggity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Badge

Posted 05 March 2014 - 22:13

I'm looking to switch to a tank from a mage DPS because I like the gameplay more. Any tank up for helping me set my gear/gems/talents/attributes up?

Whisper me or message me here.

#15 Mongo

Mongo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:33

Nice post.  :)

Visit my shop! Mongo's Emporium for emotes, pets, vanity and more!

#16 ernzor

ernzor

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:36

Yeah nice and informative. If I did something like this for assassins it would be like "Go. Kill. The End"

Naked pirate will be back!

When lvl 50 is here

#17 Overlord

Overlord

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:17

Nice effort. Truly a decent post considering English is not your first language.

#18 DSdavidDS

DSdavidDS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:37

Great guide! I wish there were a guide like this for all the other roles :P

#19 Munnak

Munnak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 17:10

Great guide! I wish there were a guide like this for all the other roles :P

As soon as I get experience with the others. I just did this one prematurely cause Tanker and Healers in all MMO have a lack of players. So my next one will be about Prophets. And then the DPSes. But sadly I don't have much time to expend playing so it probably take a little more time to anything come out. (I still have to update this one when I get more experience).

And probably in the future the elders from each class will help me with the information and I'll be merely the one who writes and organize. Like this one here where everybody is giving me there experience.  :D

#20 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 06 March 2014 - 23:42

Great guide, well thought out.  A few questions.

Can a tank generate enough threat with so few points in melee?  I understood that in this game, 2v/4m or 3/3 were the preferred attributes.

Impalement:  Wouldn't the extra DPS also mean extra threat?  In fact, I had someone recommend Battle Hardened from the warrior tree for this same purpose.

Vindicator:  The guide mentions this as good for the party.  The description of Vindicate says "increases your damage".  Which is correct?

Ferocious Taunt/Resolute:  Is it really worth maxing both?  Can multiple mobs be taunted?

Zealous Defender:  Does the huge DPS shot make any difference regarding threat at this point?

Cooldowns are discussed on some spells, but don't account for haste.  Does haste change any recommendations?  (Haste is a direct reduction of the CD.  So a 120 second CD with 25% haste actually has a 90 second CD.  This is especially important when considering Blessed Shield and Frozen Phalanx.  Haste does ~not~ effect cast time.)

This is the build that I've been considering @40.  I gave up Righteous, Look in the Mirror, and 1 point of resolute.

http://www.talentthe...1G2I1O1V1Wb2c3/

I'd love feedback on both my questions and my future build.

Edited by Irradiated, 06 March 2014 - 23:50.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: