Photo

Game Concept : Shattering, Mutation and Alchemy!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
254 replies to this topic

#41 fs_commiedevo

fs_commiedevo
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:08

One of the primary complaints about this game is that leveling is already WAY too fast and easy - hence the existence of a ridiculous 1200+ levels already, when other MMORPGs succeed with less than 100 levels. Why add MORE overpowered gear that makes it EVEN EASIER to burn through content?

On a somewhat tangential note, what is the plan for this game?? Are you going to produce 5 million levels? Rather than focusing on gear, perhaps HCS might think about a sustainable element of gameplay that doesn't require more levels?... Just a thought.

Like GvG, PvP, BB, Arena, Scavenging ;)

All PvP related, minus scavenging (which really isn't playing anything - it's rolling the dice for items). The non-PvP players are the individuals wanting new elements of content, only to find repetitive easy leveling that focuses on damage-only setups and non-creative gear usage.

#42 fs_deepcrow

fs_deepcrow
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:10

I think you guys overestimate how this would make overpowered gear worse. If mutated gear is bound, then when you outgrow it you have no choice but to break it down. No superpowered gear will be passed down for the rest of the guild. This could even create some real scarcity for good gear.

#43 debruce

debruce

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:13

I think one point people are missing is that the improved gear becomes bound. As long as the equipment cannot be transfered, then that limits the amount of uber-gear that exists in the game (and ban or limit the improved gear in the arena). After player is done, can he/she then destroy it? An idea to limit the dominance of improved items, how about improving the equipment turns it into Crystalline? Additionally damaged items generate less shards/essence/residue/whatever, the affect being damaged crystalline equipment generate less resources than say undamaged rare equipment.

#44 purebreed

purebreed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:16

One of the primary complaints about this game is that leveling is already WAY too fast and easy - hence the existence of a ridiculous 1200+ levels already, when other MMORPGs succeed with less than 100 levels. Why add MORE overpowered gear that makes it EVEN EASIER to burn through content?

On a somewhat tangential note, what is the plan for this game?? Are you going to produce 5 million levels? Rather than focusing on gear, perhaps HCS might think about a sustainable element of gameplay that doesn't require more levels?... Just a thought.

Like GvG, PvP, BB, Arena, Scavenging ;)

All of which (with the exception of savaging) are broken, the COW’s know they are broken, have talked about fixing them….and done nothing. Instead they come out with ideas like this.
BTW how is the new map system coming along?

Just to be clear, I think the idea is ok, but finish one thing at a time. There are at least 5 areas of the game that need to be fixed before you start a new project.

#45 Thiudimir

Thiudimir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:19

I appreciate the motives behind creating a new aspect of gameplay in which the entire FS community might be able to participate in some way.

However, as others have voiced here, I have two main issues with this:

1. Overpowering gear: The game is currently flush with gear, buffs, and potions that make one-hitting as feasible as it's ever been. I don't think the game is in need of more gear options for players. And with the increased pace of leveling, there will be more players moving closer and faster to EOC.

2. Other planned updates in the offing: I seem to recall a proposed overhaul of the GvG system that sounded very interesting. Other players have voiced concerns with the arena, bounty board, and other aspects of gameplay that need attention. I think these updates/changes would be just as, if not more, beneficial to the current player base.

#46 iron300

iron300

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:20

-1 To This Update. First,I don't really understand the point of this.
Second - there are thing more important to FIX in place of be Reviewing Feedback on a possible new UPDATE.

The game has already been by some way ''Broke'' due to so many updates,don't make it go even more,because maybe one more fail,can make you lose all your comunity,or most of it how is happening latelly.

#47 Bleltch

Bleltch

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:21

As stated at the beginning of this post this idea currently in development so we'd like to hear from the community and get feedback on this idea.

Radneto

:(

#48 Lahona

Lahona

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:22

I appreciate you guys trying new things, but I've played several games in the past that have done something similar to this and I've never liked it. By binding your good items you're not getting any return back on your good gear by getting to sell it later. I'd prefer you to just make another equipment slot and use this system to upgrade that item and that item only. You can't buy that item any other way. This way you can utilize this system to make your own items, but not take away from previously used gear.

I like the idea of another equipment slot. Maybe this slot could be a pet / companion / familiar. a range of pets could be introduced and this system could become the method of enhancing the pet's abilities.

Pets could then be used in a variety of ways. Hunting, they could be a defender or the hunted creature could also have a pet that the player pet has to defeat at the same time (there's the extra challenge that EOC are asking for). PvP, same idea - both sides having pets would have to battle with and against both player and pet. Arena, some could be pet only for pet rewards (doggy chew anyone :lol: ) and some combined. PvP ladder for pets? Pet scavenging for elements?

#49 Freberic

Freberic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:23

I like it , that break old gear to buff current gear for limited time .
This means for example if you use current Legendary items only in it
, Legendary Events could came back more often as gear available on auction lower in supply ,
plus there are a gold sink associate with it ,gold on fsp prices on market will be lower overtime .

Merchants will like it . those with high AH slots to supply
gear needed in it . they were down with the last massive LE event ,
now if they kept some , they could make some profits back .

#50 Blixen

Blixen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:23

Personally I prefer keeping it simple, so this is....

#51 Denyza

Denyza

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Indonesia

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:24

We already have Hell Forge, which proved to be a sufficient method in enhancing leveling gear, at least for the last 800 levels for me. Why must we have this Alchemy thingy?

And if the gear become bound, would it affects SE and LE gear at all, especially the rare expensive ones?

LastSignature_zps9cb1e771.jpg

#52 Shaydog

Shaydog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:26

Anything to make the game more interesting for the non GvG/PvP player would be a very good thing.

#53 koenvdv

koenvdv

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Badge
  • Belgium

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:27

Anything to make the game more interesting for the non GvG/PvP player would be a very good thing.

True!

#54 Kedyn

Kedyn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:29

A lot of people aren't missing the fact that this gear is bound. They are looking at different aspects of the game.

Sure for hunting, this wouldn't do a whole lot, except for the fact that right now in the 650s +, you can use the same hunting set for about 200+ levels unless you like to upgrade. I figure that once I hit 850, I could probably use the same hunting set to at least 1000+ no problem and making no changes at all. Add in the fact that you can mutate this gear to make it even more powerful then sure you eliminate the gear that's being mutated, but you also eliminate any other gear that was used prior to that for hunting. For example, since Smashing Hammer is available to use based on the amount of sets, and then Coor Attack increases attack/damage if you have items that are parts of sets, I've been able to hunt using items that are from 650-750 without having to use EW / EA at all. There were a lot of individual items that have been going for extremely cheap at my level range that were once used as fill in pieces for a few levels by hunters. There are even more fill in items that were used by PVP'ers that are also being discarded because of the new buffs.

Sure the binding of these items will be nice and create a higher need for them, but they will further erase the need for other items. You'll see many more people hunt the legendaries that come out for the items and flood the market over and over again trying to make some profit.

On a PVP or Arena side of things, most players don't really move around in ranges, so they will not level outside of the use of this gear. They will just bind it to themselves and mutate it to make it even more overpowered than the sets currently used. This would further the distance between players interested in PVP and not as well as interest in the broken ladder system.

While you can still mutate or increase individual sets, I don't see this idea as a positive idea. Just my 2 cents though.

#55 Lahona

Lahona

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:32

questions:

How will these elements be stored? more BP space? Component slots? Or a new set of element slots? Seems to me there will be a great deal of slots of one kind or another needed :(

The equipment (or whatever it becomes) if bound when an element / gem is added, does it become unbound when the duration of the boost is over?

#56 fs_deadlystrk

fs_deadlystrk
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:33

i got a question.. when does the new movement system? the new gvg system? the new "did i missed any promised system" implanted?

i like the fact you started once again put alot of effort into this game like it used to be 3 years ago.. but why don't you focus on 1 thing at a time?

#57 Maehdros

Maehdros

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • Canada

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:35

FIX the areas of game that players have been making/bumping threads about and suggesting tweaks to before there's no one left around to even TRY the new ideas ;)

Arena, PvP ladder, GvG, Map System, Buffs not working correctly or as they should. <-- please look into these aspects ( and many other) and spend time on THEM before anything new even goes on the drawing board.

#58 fs_jt

fs_jt
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:38

I like the idea of another equipment slot. Maybe this slot could be a pet / companion / familiar. a range of pets could be introduced and this system could become the method of enhancing the pet's abilities.

Pets could then be used in a variety of ways. Hunting, they could be a defender or the hunted creature could also have a pet that the player pet has to defeat at the same time (there's the extra challenge that EOC are asking for). PvP, same idea - both sides having pets would have to battle with and against both player and pet. Arena, some could be pet only for pet rewards (doggy chew anyone) and some combined. PvP ladder for pets? Pet scavenging for elements?

There are no limits to the variety of things that could be transmuted.

We've already discussed Pets, a new item type (slot), potions as possibilities.

Legendary Events could came back more often as gear available on auction lower in supply

This is an intended outcome. Some gear becomes more scarce/valuable and other gear with little-to-no-value will become more valuable.

How will these elements be stored? more BP space? Component slots? Or a new set of element slots? Seems to me there will be a great deal of slots of one kind or another needed

(please don't quote me on this)
It's likely that it will be in a completely new set of slots "Element Slots", because of the finite amount of tiers & variations e.g. 3x 1-99, 3x 100-199, 3x 200-299 etc. if they stack up infinitely then there wouldn't be a problem. As for gems, I'm completely unsure we may add a "Gem Purse" or something but it's likely to just be an ordinary item.

i got a question.. when does the new movement system? the new gvg system? the new "did i missed any promised system" implanted?

I can't speak for the GvG system but the new map's progress is good and can be seen on The Alpha Server

#59 Jashan

Jashan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:39

Can I put them all in a Horadric Cube in order to mutate them? :lol:

I don't like that it will stay bound to me if I try to improve it. If it takes me 100 FSP to get a complete set that is fully forged and I can get nothing in return if I try to improve it further, I am not real crazy about the idea. I would never buy a new car, install some gadgets to make it even better and then have to drive it forever and never be able to sell it. I'd hope to get something out of it in a few years, even if it's only half of what I paid.

I do like the fact that I will be able to improve on the items. I could create items that are unique to my playing style and would benefit me the most. Maybe the hundreds of common items I drop during a hunt would be worth something now.

I'd also like to say that I agree with Purebreed a little bit. I know that this is WAY early in the development process and it is necessary to keep innovating to keep players interested but it would be good to see some of the things that have been previously discussed like the new map system, fixes that are in the works and - HINT - Storybook Quests - HINT - be implemented into the game.

On a side note - we already have an alpha server but have you ever thought of creating a server to test this stuff out with a "Council of Players" or something? Make a server, invite 50 players or so to play on it from time to time and test out these options. Or even a special invite only forum where a discussion can happen before everyone weighs in. Then a council of players can give specific input on new proposals before you send it out to everyone. Just a thought -

I appreciate your constant work to improve the game and make it more enjoyable. It's one of the reasons I've played for so long. It continues to be a fun ride - Thanks!

#60 myakka

myakka

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Badge

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:39

My suggestion is to introduce a new quest into the game that uses this process in a limited way so that all of us can have a better idea of what we are talking about.

(Yes, I'm a big fan of quests, but IMO there is nothing like direct experience for evaluating an idea.)

Just something simple like a guy gives you an item to be upgraded in this fashion and then at the end of the quest you give him back the upgraded item and get your reward.

That way we can all get a favor for the idea without sacrificing anything very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: