Photo

Old Arena System ( 2008 Style ) + Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

Poll: Old Arena System ( gold + item tournaments ) (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like the Old Arena System to be brought back to FS?

1. Yes! I tell you... (27 votes [79.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 79.41%

2. No! Let me tell you why... (4 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

3. I have never experienced the Gold and Item tournaments... (3 votes [8.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 WYB

WYB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 13:12

Hello everyone,

here is another arena thread, yea... i know, but I just want to know out of curiosity ( whether this may ever happen again or not ) how many of you actually liked/like the old arena system and whether or not you want it to be brought back to the game.

And here was an answer of mine to another arena thread which was created some time ago and this was my take on how to possibly solve some arena inactivity, slowness, problems with bringing back the old arena system and keeping the current arena tokken system, tell me what you think and your suggestions :)

'' I think a way to increase more activity would be to get back the gold arenas. I feel like the entry fees are too high especially since you get nothing back. If you win about 1 out of 10 arena, you have probably paid 400k gold and depending on the situation you may have only gained +-32 tokkens which you cant do anything with. I personally would definitely join more arena ( now the number of possible arenas for me to join again is another question ) if I didnt have to pay 400k everytime, only to make a very small gain which will never cover the entry fees. People obviously do stuff to make profits, which is true in everything we do, even in life. If i cant make a profit out of what I have invested, why would I even do it?

Obviously adding new items makes it even a better place. What about, making it like the seasonal Titan items, get some prizes in there which you can only get during a specific period of time and switch up every few weeks or months.

But ofc the thing is as many have mentioned already, if new items were to be introduced, the top arena players that have 100k's of tokkens, they could just be purchasing anything they want, even if there were some great items that would cost 5k or 10k tokkens.

I was thinkin about mixing the tokken system with the old system, where gold and prize arenas would appear at random, keep the old prices which can be bought with tokkens where they are and introduce the new items the old fashion where they would be the prize to get when you win the arena. That way everyone can start again with equal chance.

And maybe after year or more, also put those items ( with the exception of the seasonal items ) to the list of items that can be bought with tokkens and bring out new prizes again.

Plus to give new players a chance to try out the arena without getting beaten up so badly by the pros, maybe also generate some arenas which only players that have less than 100 wins can join, and more below level 100 arenas with very low entry fees, like 100g - 5k gold, so the newly joined players can play the arena too. ''

Edited by wyb, 03 March 2015 - 18:17.

#2 Brice

Brice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 15:07

YES...YES...and YES!!! I am all for bringing back at least the Gold Tournaments mixed in with the token Arenas...or at least going back to how it was...I give HCS the credit for trying to improve the Arena and I have really no problems with the token system but it has really made it very bland and boring to play. I lost a ton of interest when they took the gold tourneys away, and anymore I just play out of habit but not for fun. I respect that there are many aspects of the game that need improvements, such as, PvP and looking forward to that update as well...I can be patient as long as HCS is willing to acknowledge this thread...I tried myself to bring attention to the Arena along with a few others...I wish you the best of luck with this thread WYB and look forward to seeing the responses you get ;)

Edited by Brice, 03 March 2015 - 15:10.

#3 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,814 posts
  • Badge

Posted 03 March 2015 - 15:20

You can still purchase gold with tokens.

#4 Brice

Brice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 15:24

Agreed...like I stated above I have no issues with the token system...HCS did a great job in rewarding players with tokens even if they don't win...but there was something about the gold tournaments I really liked...whether it was a 50K or a 5 mill Arena,in which, the winning went directly into your account :) Just my opinion...and I will most likely play the Arena regardless of the outcome...just love the numbers game involved with it

Edited by Brice, 03 March 2015 - 15:26.

#5 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,282 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 03 March 2015 - 15:47

I like the token system, tbh.  I don't have to decide right away what I want to win, I can go shopping later.... HOWEVER, I think the exchange rate for tokens to gold is a little light..... If it increased a bit, maybe that would spark some activity....   

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#6 BigGrim

BigGrim

Content Designer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,814 posts
  • Badge

Posted 03 March 2015 - 15:53

HOWEVER, I think the exchange rate for tokens to gold is a little light..... If it increased a bit, maybe that would spark some activity....

Perhaps but we have to be very careful with exchange rates. They are very easy to get wrong.

I think new prizes would help. Whether Potions or new gear, it would help. The biggest real problem we have is that players have been stockpiling these tokens. I don't particularly wish to create a slew of new sets only for those few who have loads of tokens to immediately crash the market.

#7 spartani

spartani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 16:43

Regarding the new arena item/pot rewards.

How about the creation a new type of tokens?

For example, red arena tokens (current ones are green).

Old items could be exchanged for green OR red tokens, while new items/pots could be exchanged for red tokens only.

You would only need to be carefull not to implement new potions that would render the previous ones useless (if we have Light Foot 600 in there, Light Foot 700 could not be one of the new pots), because in this case green tokens would also lose value.

You can keep this method forever or for a certain period only. 1-2 years from now all the green tokens will be spent, or there will be so many red tokens into play that you can even convert the unspent green ones into reds without risking any flood of rewards in the market.

#8 WYB

WYB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 18:14

Perhaps but we have to be very careful with exchange rates. They are very easy to get wrong.

I think new prizes would help. Whether Potions or new gear, it would help. The biggest real problem we have is that players have been stockpiling these tokens. I don't particularly wish to create a slew of new sets only for those few who have loads of tokens to immediately crash the market.

That's why I thought it would be a good idea to combine the old system with tokken system without damaging It. People still can purchase items with tokken and the new ones after some time can join that list too. Penny will still be able to save her tokkens and use them whenever she feels like it. You really don't change anything about the current system other than making items or gold tournaments spawn along side with tokken arenas. Plus you avoid those, as you say that have been stockpiling the tokkens, to crash the market, since they won't be able to buy the new stuff as many times as they wish, but rather have to try and win them 1 by 1 like those that have 0 tokkens or newly interested players/ everyone else. Plus people would have to check the arena more often if the new item they want only appear every now and then, and isnt always 'there', which probably will also increase the activity.

Edited by wyb, 03 March 2015 - 18:21.

#9 Leos3000

Leos3000

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:01

Just a thought, you used to rotate items in the arena every few weeks right?

Maybe you could have several types of tokens that rotate (new versions when new items are released) 

Red Tokens

Green Tokens

Yellow Tokens

Where you can buy different items with different tokens and the type of token could rotate every so often.

#10 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Australia

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:10

he biggest real problem we have is that players have been stockpiling these tokens. I don't particularly wish to create a slew of new sets only for those few who have loads of tokens to immediately crash the market.

Playing Devils Advocate here ...

WHY ?

That happens anytime a new LE (and sometimes SE) set comes out in the realms ...

Let supply and demand (simple market economics) determine the price, nothing more ...

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#11 3JS

3JS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:16

Personally, I wish the arena would go back to the way it was day 1, in every aspect.

But....life is all about give and take. How about, the winner receives the prize that is up for grabs, whether it be gold, tokens, or items. Then, second and third still get a few tokens for their efforts? I think that's a good compromise. 

Also, I know there's a lot on the plates of HCS staff these days, but when's the last time a new arena gear inventing update was made? Years? I mean, how long can you expect interest to remain, when there's nothing shiny and new to shoot for?

#12 3JS

3JS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:46

I just posted this in the other arena thread making it's rounds. I'm not smart enough to figure out how to quote across different threads, so I copied and pasted. The horror, I know...

Keep the 25% rule

Bring the arena back around to the days of it's origin, when it was easily at it's best

Make new inventable sets from arena items

Make tokens a consolation prize for 2nd place, and bring back the items, albeit new stuff instead of the same old, tired stuff we've had for years. You'll still be able to buy those for tokens, after all. If you (not too) slowly introduced new items as prizes along with gold prizes again, you'd see these tourneys moving. Oh, and don't make the new stuff available to buy with tokens for at least a few months.

Remember when an Icon of Styx tourney filled in 60 seconds? I do. I also remember, no matter what I was doing at the time, checking the arena page at :00, :15, :30, and :45 all day long so I wouldn't miss out. Let's get back to that.

#13 WYB

WYB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:00

Remember when an Icon of Styx tourney filled in 60 seconds? I do. I also remember, no matter what I was doing at the time, checking the arena page at :00, :15, :30, and :45 all day long so I wouldn't miss out. Let's get back to that.

This is exactly what I miss and probably what most of us miss. It was in a way very exciting to find out what item or gold arena was going to spawn next, because if you miss it you may have to wait some more time for another one to be generated again. But you never know when it is going to spawn again, which makes you check the arena every few minutes. This alone creates activity, simply the fact people stay or come back to the arena page again. Now that the arena is ALL tokens, no matter which one you join, all you can win is always only tokens. There is no pressure to miss anything because whichever arena you join, you can win the only thing that there's to win, tokens. Tokens everywhere you see. This removes a lot of excitement and renders it very plain, monotone and boring. People don't need to check it every few minutes, once every few hours is enough, because there is no rush, everything is ALWAYS there and there is nothing you can miss.

Edited by WYB, 04 March 2015 - 09:01.

#14 3JS

3JS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:13

This is exactly what I miss and probably what most of us miss. It was in a way very exciting to find out what item or gold arena was going to spawn next, because if you miss it you may have to wait some more time for another one to be generated again. But you never know when it is going to spawn again, which makes you check the arena every few minutes. This alone creates activity, simply the fact people stay or come back to the arena page again. Now that the arena is ALL tokens, no matter which one you join, all you can win is always only tokens. There is no pressure to miss anything because whichever arena you join, you can win the only thing that there's to win, tokens. Tokens everywhere you see. This removes a lot of excitement and renders it very plain, monotone and boring. People don't need to check it every few minutes, once every few hours is enough, because there is no rush, everything is ALWAYS there and there is nothing you can miss.

The tokens were, if I'm not mistaken, asked for by the players. HCS gave it to us, but it hasn't worked out. It happens.

It's time to back up and punt. (American football reference, in case that slipped by ya :))

#15 shindrak

shindrak

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:46

Why would you say that ?! the players who got the tokens atm worked hard for them ...

after all it depends on pricing the new stuff

I prefer to see the new arena potions bound to player(non tradable) tbh even make them as powerful as composing pots so players would join arena to gain their own potions

though new sets can be tradable normally

Edited by shindrak, 04 March 2015 - 11:48.

#16 shindrak

shindrak

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:54

You were inacive for some time i guess :) before they implement tokens to arena .. Icon of styx or any quest item was taking like 1 day or so to fill

But i remember how arena was like you say.. that when we didn't have tons of powerful sets,potions and buffs in game

that time Acheron set was the best sets for level 850+ Ormar sets for 650+ ..etc

Now theres alot of better sets can be earned out of arena and that what caused demand to drop fast on arena sets... We can't get the past back :(

Edited by shindrak, 04 March 2015 - 11:56.

#17 Dulcharn

Dulcharn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Badge

Posted 04 March 2015 - 13:14

You can still purchase gold with tokens.

It doesn't feel as rewarding. And the tokens aren't worth the gold.

When we used to win 1,000.000 gold in one tournament, it was great fun. You could see them pop up and then cross your fingers with excitement. Now there's no direct incentive or urge to win and spend 50 tokens (2-3 wins) for 200.000 gold.

These days I just play the arena to provide the potion rewards for guild members as free hand-outs.

The composing potions are starting to replace these. In other words, the OP has merit.

#18 Dulcharn

Dulcharn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Badge

Posted 04 March 2015 - 13:19

I have 634 tokens at the moment. I give them away to guild members in the form of the potion rewards, for their leveling sprees. Also, BigGrim, can you check my ticket? thanks :)

#19 darknin12

darknin12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 18:40

I used to be addicted to the arena. I'm not going to get into details, but all this token system did was ruin the arena in my opinion. Prices killed on everything due to the fact that anyone can have tokens and buy items. Now everything is pretty much worthless therefore I don't waste my time. My suggestion is that if you guys decide to put out new stuff in the arena just make it so that we can win them instead of using tokens to buy them. That will keep prices up for some time.

Edited by darknin12, 04 March 2015 - 19:02.

#20 Dulcharn

Dulcharn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Badge

Posted 04 March 2015 - 20:46

The principle idea of the arena tokens was good, as proposed by shindrak way back when. But something went wrong in the implementation. Also, I believe the gold tournaments were proposed to stay though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: