Photo

Composing - and Shield Wall Implementation

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Shield Wall Implementation (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the implementation of this buff/potion be altered ?

1. It should start at Level 100 with 10 point increments (19 votes [76.00%])

Percentage of vote: 76.00%

2. It should start at Level 150 with 5 point increments (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

3. It should stay as is, starting at Level 25 with 5 point increments (4 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • Australia

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:39

Composing seems a little ... umm ... unevenly implemented to me ...

Most buffs have started at either Level 100 with a 10 step increment / level gained or at Level 150 with a 5 step increment / level gained.

Suprised, I was, then, to have reached Composing Level 14 and see Shield Wall commencing at Level 25.

Even more surprised, was I, to reach Composing Level 15 and see that it had incremented enormously to Level 30.

This increment (and starting point) seems so low compared to other buffs previously added that I thought I should bring it up and see if anyone gives a monkeys other than myself ;)

Given it's "entry point" into the composing ladder at Level 14, and its 5 step increments, players will need to achieve Composing Level 43 before it attains parity with the castable L175 buff.

I know some players are into the Level 20's with composing, but even then, that only gives them Shield Wall Level 60 (at composing 20) and Level 105 (at composing level 29).

So, in essence, should this buff follow the same start point / increments as previously implemented or no ?

Edited by Pardoux, 20 February 2014 - 07:37.

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#2 Davros81

Davros81

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:20

I did have a good chuckle at this when i got to the appropriate level and then found out it went up in increments of 5. I assumed it was a ploy by the cows to ensure the top levelled buff would not be attainable at a higher than castable level until folk got to a much higher composing level, or that it was some sort of comedic error...

#3 BraveKath

BraveKath

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:30

Pardoux - I think you've pointed out a composing feature that could use a tweak for sure. :)

#4 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:04

I checked with hoof when I first saw shield wall and the 5 level bump each time. he indicated that it was intended that way.

#5 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • Australia

Posted 20 February 2014 - 17:01

I checked with hoof when I first saw shield wall and the 5 level bump each time. he indicated that it was intended that way.

I spoke to him about it too - and never got a clear answer so raised it here where it could be discussed ..

Homer : Marge, don't discourage the boy. Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals .. except the weasel.

Eddie Izzard : The National Rifle Association say that guns don't kill people, people do. But I think the gun helps, you know ? I think it helps. I think just standing there going "BANG" - that's not going to kill too many people, is it ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems that everything I eat lately turns to poo ...

#6 Yuuzhan

Yuuzhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Badge
  • Canada

Posted 20 February 2014 - 20:04

Heh, wait until you get to level 26... I have not got a new buff since level 20 :(

Composing_26.png

#7 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • Australia

Posted 21 February 2014 - 21:36

OK, guess most players either ..

1/ Haven't reached the required level in composing yet

or

2/ Don't give a monkeys

LOL.

#8 Ringhal

Ringhal

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:28

Remember that these potions can be distilled. So at level 152 of any buff with Distill 150 the buff will equal 175. Not the best or maximum possible level, but is equal or eventually better than the player casted buffs.

#9 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • Australia

Posted 22 February 2014 - 13:32

Remember that these potions can be distilled. So at level 152 of any buff with Distill 150 the buff will equal 175. Not the best or maximum possible level, but is equal or eventually better than the player casted buffs.

Ah, OK, so Level 39 composing then - still WAY too high ...

The buff should, according to the vast majority of those who've voted be changed to be more in line with all the other ones ..

#10 Yuuzhan

Yuuzhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Badge
  • Canada

Posted 22 February 2014 - 15:00

Well, its not that I dont care, its that I don't care to make a big fuss about it ;)

So you know, Anti Deflect starts at 100, and gains 5 per level.  I think shield wall would work along those lines as well.  I have no problem with buffs raising in skill level slowly - there are 50 levels of compsing to get - you are not going to have the win button on any new buff after 3-4 levels of composing...

And in case you were wondering, composing level 27 gives no new buffs either :(

Composing_27.png

#11 yotwehc

yotwehc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 15:10

Well, its not that I dont care, its that I don't care to make a big fuss about it ;)

So you know, Anti Deflect starts at 100, and gains 5 per level.  I think shield wall would work along those lines as well.  I have no problem with buffs raising in skill level slowly - there are 50 levels of compsing to get - you are not going to have the win button on any new buff after 3-4 levels of composing...

And in case you were wondering, composing level 27 gives no new buffs either :(

The only thing I wonder is how you level so fast... :)

#12 watagashi

watagashi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 20:37

Hoof knows what he is doing,, this part of the game especially there was a lot of give and take to keep it balanced, just like keeping the higher leveled commons and such limited in drops and not including many LEs up there was one part they used to balance this. I think that especially for a higher leveled buff like SW that he took the desire to make it in composing against the work it takes to reach 1600.

#13 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • Australia

Posted 22 February 2014 - 21:39

Hoof knows what he is doing,, this part of the game especially there was a lot of give and take to keep it balanced, just like keeping the higher leveled commons and such limited in drops and not including many LEs up there was one part they used to balance this. I think that especially for a higher leveled buff like SW that he took the desire to make it in composing against the work it takes to reach 1600.

If the starting point for all potions was based upon their "position" in the research trees then I'd think this a valid point - unfortunately, that doesn't fly.

It's only this 1, Level 1600 buff that this happens with - Level 1000 buffs and Level 1200 buffs are starting at the suggested start point of 100 with +10 increments or 150 with +5 increments.

It takes quite a while to get to Level 1000 and Level 1200 too, after all ..

#14 watagashi

watagashi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 22:38

the thing is,,, other than the coords the other buffs arent as popular or useful as SW is. Also being a 1600 far fewer people have it and its the highest one so far and I would not be supprised if future 1600 buffs work this way as well. 

The thing is its got to be balanced and I think they took a lot of time to think these over (which is great as opoposed to trial and error and changing it around all the time) 

There must remain a balance between high lev and low lev players,, you get extra frags per drop but you also get less commons and other like LEs to balance this. You must make a level to get the buffs but also get more levels to raise them just like you have to make a lot of levels to unlock the higher ones,, therefore its a good forward thinking to limit some in this way,,,,, unless all those high levs who complained in the first place that a 50 can make 500 buffs have no dropped those issues.

To me this is that balance,, you can take the time to level to 1600 and have SW175 or take the time to level to 30 or so and get it then :) in the meantime id point out you unlock many other buffs too!

And we never know,, perhaps this is a test of these levels and eventually it will be tweaked up a bit more and maybe its a way to get a fair median calculated out before putting out composing only buffs,, making sure its fair, balanced and will work well!

One last thing,, to me global booster is a harder to find buff that isnt available to players to cast and should maybe start lower or not go over 200 for many levels.

Edited by watagashi, 22 February 2014 - 22:40.

#15 Yuuzhan

Yuuzhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Badge
  • Canada

Posted 22 February 2014 - 22:42

I am not leveling that fast - just happed to be posting right when i was 90% of the level so seems like only one day to level :P

Paradoux: There are lots of other types then the two that you mention.  Anti deflect started at 100 with +5 per level.  Global started at 50 with +10 per level to name a few.

I think that it is quite fine the way it is.  I would prefer for it to start at 100 and +5 per level (heck, even at level 1000 with +100 per level would be great ;))

Just aim to get to level 50 and you will get all the good buffs whenever you want :)  You might start with some useless buffs... or in my case not get any new buffs for 7 levels.

Edited by Yuuzhan, 22 February 2014 - 22:42.

#16 Pardoux

Pardoux

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts
  • Australia

Posted 22 February 2014 - 23:12

I am not leveling that fast - just happed to be posting right when i was 90% of the level so seems like only one day to level :P

Paradoux: There are lots of other types then the two that you mention.  Anti deflect started at 100 with +5 per level.  Global started at 50 with +10 per level to name a few.

I think that it is quite fine the way it is.  I would prefer for it to start at 100 and +5 per level (heck, even at level 1000 with +100 per level would be great ;))

Just aim to get to level 50 and you will get all the good buffs whenever you want :)  You might start with some useless buffs... or in my case not get any new buffs for 7 levels.

"Paradoux" ?? - One day, folk will get it right LOL

100 at +5 isn't too bad - damn sight better than 25 at +5 ;)

Global Booster is set correctly too I think - after all, this isn't currently a player castable buff at all - so however it's implemented via composing is fine.

As for levelling in composing, I still am - and will continue to do so - I still think that SW is an "anomoly" that should be addressed ..

Edited by Pardoux, 22 February 2014 - 23:14.

#17 Yuuzhan

Yuuzhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Badge
  • Canada

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:42

Gah!  I even double checked!  Pardoux  Not french for By Soft is it?  Just curious :)

You are entitled to your opinion of course, however I do not agree.  I am fine with having to work for a nice buff.

Question: would you rather get SW at level 10 starting at level 50 and get 5 ranks per level or starting starting at level 30 starting at level 100 and get 10 per level?  Either way at level 40 you get to rank 200.

Edited by Yuuzhan, 23 February 2014 - 01:43.

#18 evilbry

evilbry

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:17

One last thing,, to me global booster is a harder to find buff that isnt available to players to cast and should maybe start lower or not go over 200 for many levels.

Global booster (levels 50-200) are available through the Upgrades > Loyalty section for a very small amount of gold. This has been in place since global boosters were introduced.

#19 Kedyn

Kedyn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Badge
  • United States of America

Posted 24 February 2014 - 22:03

Voted for Option 1.

While I do agree that this shouldn't be a buff that implements quickly, if the argument is that "you don't get to cast this buff until 1600 because of the research tree" then I would counter with the idea that the buff shouldn't be available for composing until later on in your composing levels. 

I'd much rather see consistencies among the buffs than the inconsistent "magical" levels picked for some buffs like Shield Wall. If you have other "like-minded" buffs start out at the same level with incremental increases. 

The buff that confuses me the most that wouldn't start at 25 with +5 is entrench since it's only available in potion form. 

#20 vikingv

vikingv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:42

No new buffs for 7 levels seems way off.  I wish I knew the Cows reasoning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: