• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Rez

Rez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:39

read history book on true Thanks giving.

Coming to gether as people in truth all start with death and blood shed like most hoiday's.

First 2 nd recored Biths day was mass sucied's

Many hoilday's them self based in blood.

So many poor creature's rasied and killed

The book is wrong.

For one thing, the original Thanksgiving existed because a tribe of Native Americans taught the pilgrims how to grow crops in the New World, as the soil and climate were far too different from what the pilgrims were used to. The pilgrims were not violent against other humans, originally, but ended up fighting WITH that tribe later on against other tribes and even other pioneers from the Old World. So yes, there was war, but not because of or even before Thanksgiving.

As for raising and killing the birds, no: The original turkeys were hunted down, just like any other animal used for food. The pilgrims couldn't get cattle until much later, and that cattle had to be shipped over from the Old World, which was probably the worst experience any of those cattle ever had in their entire lives.

The original Thanksgiving was meant to honor the tribe that helped the pilgrims survive. It had absolutely nothing to do with bloodshed. Oh, and just so you know, the majority of the food at the feast was crops, not meat. And the tribe would not have condoned the killing of a turkey without honoring the spirit of the turkey that was killed. It wasn't senseless - it was survival, and the pilgrims thanked/honored the lives of every single thing - flora and fauna - that they ended up eating.

Compare that to more "civilized" cultures where the only thing people care about is how appalling the death of an animal makes the person seeing it feel, not the sacrifice the creatures actually made to keep us alive.

That history book is wrong and should be burned because it's nothing but negative propaganda. Not all of history is terrible.

rsz_sniper_anime_girl_dual_screen_3_t2.j

| Rezilia (16) Ranger | Bunnycakes (5) Paladin |

| Crystal Cutting - 4 | Farming - 11 | Fishing - 9 | Foraging - 10 | Forestry - 8 | Prospecting - 6 | Skinning - 16 |

| Alchemy - 12 | Armorsmithing - 2 | Cooking - 16 | Jewelry - 1 | Leatherworking - 9 | Tailoring - 6 | Weaponsmithing - 2 |

| Account (8) | Hours (58.5+) |

#22 Irradiated

Irradiated

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
  • Badge

Posted 21 November 2014 - 14:22

Good one, Rez, thank you.

One correction.  There was a lot of meat at that first feast.  The pilgrims wrote extensively in their diaries about the abundance of venison (only lords got venison in Europe, peasants got the offal).

There was no mention of turkeys.  That was added later by the fowl industry.  The closest is brief mentions of some pilgrims going fowling (they didn't even feel it worth mentioning what type of bird), and demonstrating guns to the natives.

And to add.  They mostly wore useful clothing, but very colorful.  They loved dyes.  No buckles in their hats, and no black and white.

Meleager, ranger

Tuor, templar (Inactive)

Deimos, mage

Thangbrand, warsin (Mostly on vacation)

Bart, ??? (bene trades)

#23 Rez

Rez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 18:08

Really? Well, huh.

That's interesting. :o

| Crystal Cutting - 4 | Farming - 11 | Fishing - 9 | Foraging - 10 | Forestry - 8 | Prospecting - 6 | Skinning - 16 |

| Alchemy - 12 | Armorsmithing - 2 | Cooking - 16 | Jewelry - 1 | Leatherworking - 9 | Tailoring - 6 | Weaponsmithing - 2 |

#24 ZeusIV

ZeusIV

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 18:29

i'd rather have a holi festival where everyone throws paint at eachother, celebrated around beginning of april, great fun

holi-festival-india.jpg

or the water festival in thailand held just after

songkran.jpg

maybe it could be merged with the easter event next year

#25 Rez

Rez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 21:38

maybe it could be merged with the easter event next year

I agree. More events ftw :3

--

Quite honestly, Thanksgiving could just be replaced by Harvest Festival. They're quite similar and the events within this suggestion would still fit.

Heck, the team could release a hidden update that massively increases crop yield on Thanksgiving Day for this year, just as a temporary replacement.

#26 ChelseaBrick

ChelseaBrick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 22:29

It's interesting that history is very different and always has at least two sides...In fact, I love this quote... "History is always written by the winners.  When two cultures clash, the loser is obliterated and the winner writes the history books--books which glorify their own cause and disparage the conquered foe.  As Napoleon once said, 'what is history, but a fable agreed upon?"

--Dan Brown, The DaVinci code

To many Native Americans, Thanksgiving means something entirely different in that it marks a day where everything changed...well, we all know what happened, don't we? That little peaceful meeting/feast was soon followed by genocide, theft of their land and repression as more settlers came to America and forgot about how the NAs helped the settlers.  I think that that was what Frog was implying.  As part Native American myself, my Grandfather was Cherokee, it's disgusting to think about. 

Don't even get me started on Christopher Columbus...

Let's be "thankful" for the events that HCS organizes for us.  They were able to make the Halloween event in about four weeks after a little thread in suggestions.  That was awesome.  The Icicles Whateveritiscalled Event is coming up and that too, is super cool.

Anyway Rez, you do keep the forums alive and keep us on our toes.  :D 

8TLwd.jpg

#27 Rez

Rez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 22:44

As part Native American myself, my Grandfather was Cherokee, it's disgusting to think about. 

I find it so hilarious how you're claiming that the colonists are the only bad guys. I'm part Cherokee too, and atleast I admit that my ancestors betrayed all of the other tribes by siding with the colonists in order to be on "the winning side", which is actually the only reason why the colonists won in the first place. The Cherokee were the strongest group in the entire fiasco - whichever side they were on was guaranteed to win. Both of us have the blood of traitors.

And yes, other pioneers/colonists DID go on genocides, but the pilgrims generally didn't. Their descendants did, yes, but not the originals.

You're also ignoring that the majority of wars involving Native Americans had the tribes picking sides in order to off one another. England made alliances with various tribes, promising to not take their land, in return for helping the colonists fight off more power-hungry tribes. When the colonists rebelled against England, they had no choice but to fight those tribes in order to guarantee that England wouldn't use them to fight the new nation. That's when the U.S. lost any chance of allying with almost any tribes and became an absolute enemy of all Native Americans they hadn't already assimilated due to conquest or alliance (such as the Cherokee and Seminole tribes).

History isn't as simple as natives vs outsiders. Every tribe was in it for themselves and that's why it was so easy for the U.S. to destroy them after the Iroquois and other Great Nations were defeated/assimilated.

Edited by Rez, 21 November 2014 - 23:17.

#28 ChelseaBrick

ChelseaBrick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 00:45

Rez--

Does EVERYTHING have to be an argument with you? You seem to put words into my mouth.  

In keeping with the OP, I don't agree with you, I find it silly.  

Period. The End.  

By the way, you've been 15 for a long time now.  Do you need help leveling? I'd be more than happy to help.  

8TLwd.jpg

#29 Rez

Rez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:44

I'm doing professions.

Well, technically I'm doing everything.

Literally everything.

--

It's supposed to be silly. Silliness was the theme. "Gobbling Empire" should have given that away lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: