#1 Edith3000

Edith3000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 09:20

I just got this popup notification:

WJqx8Eol.jpg?1

I am not ok with stats from my phone distributed to third parties, especially when Hunted Cow says they don't have control over the vendors who show the ads. What is the alternative?

uvG2ReE.jpg

#2 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 22 March 2022 - 10:19

I just got this popup notification:

WJqx8Eol.jpg?1

I am not ok with stats from my phone distributed to third parties, especially when Hunted Cow says they don't have control over the vendors who show the ads. What is the alternative?

While it is true that FS can't control what ad vendors see or don't see.... you can, to a point.  In your browser, google "adchoices"  this lets you set up what criteria advertisers can and cannot use to target ads...  that's basically what that means.... It's basically the same settings that determine whether 3rd party cookies are allowable in any browser...  If you have a narrow field that controls the meta data that is released to the ether, you will see a more broad range of ads that may or may not pertain to you...  Some of the criteria that sites like FB, Amazon, Walmart, Google, Yahoo, Bing,  etc, use depend on a myriad of things, such as your location, websites you visit, links you click, even web searches... Any time you go to a website that has ads on a page, that information is recorded in your browser.... which then can be used to track your habits.   If you don't want an advertising company to be tracking these things, it is best that you don't watch ads at all.   At the very least, make sure that every browser you use is set to "Do Not Track" and make sure that if 3rd party cookies are disabled.  As for what is "released" from your phone, go into your Settings menu, and check the Permissions for each and every app you have.  Things like your location can be accessed by ad companies who buy lists from many common apps on your phone, up to and including Google Maps.... There are some things that you can't avoid being tracked though, but these vary according to your phone type and model, and in some cases, even your carrier.

Edited by BadPenny, 22 March 2022 - 10:27.

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#3 Edith3000

Edith3000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 11:21

While it is true that FS can't control what ad vendors see or don't see.... you can, to a point.  In your browser, google "adchoices"  this lets you set up what criteria advertisers can and cannot use to target ads...  that's basically what that means.... It's basically the same settings that determine whether 3rd party cookies are allowable in any browser...  If you have a narrow field that controls the meta data that is released to the ether, you will see a more broad range of ads that may or may not pertain to you...  Some of the criteria that sites like FB, Amazon, Walmart, Google, Yahoo, Bing,  etc, use depend on a myriad of things, such as your location, websites you visit, links you click, even web searches... Any time you go to a website that has ads on a page, that information is recorded in your browser.... which then can be used to track your habits.   If you don't want an advertising company to be tracking these things, it is best that you don't watch ads at all.   At the very least, make sure that every browser you use is set to "Do Not Track" and make sure that if 3rd party cookies are disabled.  As for what is "released" from your phone, go into your Settings menu, and check the Permissions for each and every app you have.  Things like your location can be accessed by ad companies who buy lists from many common apps on your phone, up to and including Google Maps.... There are some things that you can't avoid being tracked though, but these vary according to your phone type and model, and in some cases, even your carrier.

That's true, but in all other cases there is an option to switch off the tracking in each case (as much as we can). Here, however, it is dropped on us without the option to opt out. Let me see irrelevant ads instead of actively sharing my data with the third parties.

uvG2ReE.jpg

#4 BadPenny

BadPenny

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • United States of America

Posted 22 March 2022 - 12:39

That's true, but in all other cases there is an option to switch off the tracking in each case (as much as we can). Here, however, it is dropped on us without the option to opt out. Let me see irrelevant ads instead of actively sharing my data with the third parties.

I honestly don't know for sure how to prevent that from happening through ads in an app... I don't see any specific permissions on my phone to prevent ad tracking from apps.... Your phone may be different.  All I can tell you for sure is that the FS app itself only has Storage permissions listed on my phone.  So, any data tracking would most likely be done by the vendors...
As for who the vendors are for HCS, I have less than a clue.

Just one old lady's opinion

krQtqDH.jpg

~Love, Penny

Have you hugged your Quango lately?

#5 BMachine

BMachine

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 10:36

Everytime you speak near your mobile device google sells that info to marketers. Example; your friend tells you hes having pizza for dinner, you say ghee i could go for some pizza. Within minutes you will see an advert for pizza on social media. Same with alot of things. Your google home, alexa mini, smart watch, console. It will take your data and sell it because thats what you agreed to. Its the same across the board. It just makes adverting more efficient for adverters so they can pay more to HCS for their audience. If you choose 'yes' you are supporting the cows by allowing advertising companies to tailor your ads.
The info they can see and use isnt enough to hack you or do anything malicious. Its only when you hand over details will you  run into problems as HCS arnt responsible for the content of advertisements. The only way it could be used against you is with 'social tracking', however for someone to be going to the length of social tracking you im sure they wouldnt go with HCS advertisements as they would cover alot more people aswell as you will not be able to target very specific audiences which is needed for social tracking.
Overall your safe :) no need to bring out the tinfoil hats, there is enough aluminium in the atmosphere as it is *cough* chemtrails *cough*

#6 EpicPiety

EpicPiety

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 14:26

You should be far more worried about logging into/posting/searching on facebook (other big tech alike) if this is a concern imo.

They already know everything/anything they would want to know about you.

You are not giving advertisers access to anything saved on your phone like pictures/credentials/etc...

Edited by EpicPiety, 24 March 2022 - 14:27.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: