Photo

Trading and Economy of the game?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#1 Neon

Neon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Badge

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:40

Hey just wondering if there's a working trading system within the game, such as will players be able to freely trade whatever between one another. Will there be a auction house or something of that kind to sell and buy items, limits or any other ways of trading?

About the economy, will players make their money from killing bosses; quests or anything else that we're still yet to see?

Also another big factor how will the Economy start out, if say a first 'extreme rare item' got dropped or received, where would the money come from to sell or buy it?

I appreciate anything you can and can't answer :)

a5kwtf.png

My YouTube Channel - Click Here

#2 Anakiro

Anakiro

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:51

Hi there! I'll go ahead and try to answer your questions in the order you've asked them.

First off, you will certainly be able to trade gold and items freely between one another when your trading partner is nearby by the use of a trade window. We imagine Eldevin City will become the main hub of this kind of trading. Generally, the only exceptions to this would be items that have become bound to you because you've used them and quest-specific items. You can trade most first-use gear though.

An auction house is something we know we'll need to let the economy freely grow. While you most likely won't see it upon initial release, it is something we plan to include in the game.

You'll also be able to sell drops from creatures and quest rewards you might have no further use for to in-game vendors for a little extra cash. These vendors will all accept almost everything except quest-specific items. This includes crafted items, trash drops and any gear you may have outgrown. Not every creature in the game will drop straight cash but they will all drop something you can generate money from.

You'll also be able to generate money from in-game professions. Though I probably shouldn't say more on those as I don't think we've spoken much about them. I'll give the guys that handle giving you guys information a poke. I'll see if I can get a little coverage on professions for you. :)

Quests will usually generate cold hard cash as well as experience, reputation and usually loot. Dungeons will almost certainly drop coin as well as loot that can be sold to vendors or other players if you have no use for it yourself.

As for how the economy will start out, I imagine it will be slow at first. Money will enter primarily through quest completion and creature kills. However, it's worth noting that the prizes for doing these things will become progressively more valuable as you level through the game. As the first rare items come up for sale their prices might be lower to begin with but will even out as more players get to a level financially where they can afford them. Bear in mind asking prices will also be lower in the beginning too, as players will want to actually sell their item. That, of course, is just my best guess. You guys might surprise us!

Hope that answers your questions. If you've got any more, feel free to ask them! :D

#3 Neon

Neon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Badge

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:13

Thanks for the answer ;) and that pretty much covers everything I wanted to know. All I can say now is looking forward to the release even more :rolleyes:

a5kwtf.png

My YouTube Channel - Click Here

#4 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:39

First off, you will certainly be able to trade gold and items freely between one another when your trading partner is nearby by the use of a trade window. We imagine Eldevin City will become the main hub of this kind of trading. Generally, the only exceptions to this would be items that have become bound to you because you've used them and quest-specific items. You can trade most first-use gear though.

An auction house is something we know we'll need to let the economy freely grow. While you most likely won't see it upon initial release, it is something we plan to include in the game.

You'll also be able to sell drops from creatures and quest rewards you might have no further use for to in-game vendors for a little extra cash. These vendors will all accept almost everything except quest-specific items. This includes crafted items, trash drops and any gear you may have outgrown. Not every creature in the game will drop straight cash but they will all drop something you can generate money from.

So the vendors will give you a fixed amount of gold for the items and trading with players will give you whatever you both agree upon. Seeing as the vendors are sort of a guarenteed minimum amount I think their prices for items should be quite low. Otherwise everyone will sell their items to the vendors instead of to other players. :mellow:

You'll also be able to generate money from in-game professions. Though I probably shouldn't say more on those as I don't think we've spoken much about them. I'll give the guys that handle giving you guys information a poke. I'll see if I can get a little coverage on professions for you. :)

I'm very curious about these professions. B)

I guess players can choose their professions and gain a bit of money by doing them when the opportunity arises.
Like a woodcutter that finds a good log while travelling. A blacksmith that comes across a little village and some repairs need to be done. A hunter who can hunt deer and sell it in the next village. Or a salesman that can get slightly better prices with vendors.

But these are just wild guesses. Feel free to enlighten me though. ;)

Gathering  Crystal Cutting 49 | Farming 49 | Fishing 49 | Foraging 49 | Forestry 49 | Prospecting 49 | Skinning 49
Crafting  Alchemy 49 | Armorsmithing 49 | Cooking 49 | Jewelry 49 | Leatherworking 49 | Tailoring 49 | Weaponsmithing 49
First person to have maxed them cool.png

Characters (all level 49)
Prophet    
Savanc       Savavita              Savavimala               Mage          Savanhildur    Savashengli    Savahathor
Warrior  
Savy           Savanikomachos   Savafionnchadh       Assassin   Savalina         Savajahangir
Ranger      Savakainda  Savatakoda         Savaraxka               Templar   Savastanislav  Savasegolene

#5 Zshmaendal

Zshmaendal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Badge

Posted 22 October 2012 - 20:04

I guess players can choose their professions and gain a bit of money by doing them when the opportunity arises.
Like a woodcutter that finds a good log while travelling. A blacksmith that comes across a little village and some repairs need to be done. A hunter who can hunt deer and sell it in the next village. Or a salesman that can get slightly better prices with vendors.

Yeah, I like stuff like that. Not just a way to make money, but where each thing has a slightly different effect, or bonus.

Guild Founder of The Golden Horde

Zshmaendal - Level 45 Prophet | Superfluous - Level 35 Warrior | Ulysses - Level 13 Ranger

Louis - Level 8 Warrior | Ephemeral - Level 12 Assassin | Connotation - Level 8 Mage

Crystal Cutting - 9 | Fishing - 10 | Forestry - 10 | Skinning - 8 | Farming - 19 | Foraging - 28 | Prospecting - 16

Alchemy - 36 | Cooking - 11 | Leatherworking - 4 | Weaponsmithing - 5 | Armorsmithing - 7 | Jewelry - 6 | Tailoring - 16

#6 Anakiro

Anakiro

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:28

The professions are mostly crafting things that other players will want to buy from you. Say you have a high farming skill, you could grow cotton that you then give to a tailor who could craft it into cloth gear. Or a Prospector might smelt copper ore down into bullion for Jewelers to use to make charms. There are also repeatable quests dotted about so you can get some extra rewards should you feel the need to grind the profession to get more skill ups. Some later-level quests also need crafted items, so you might have to go and find someone with forestry to get the logs the quest giver needs to continue your quest.

#7 Anakiro

Anakiro

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:29

So the vendors will give you a fixed amount of gold for the items and trading with players will give you whatever you both agree upon. Seeing as the vendors are sort of a guarenteed minimum amount I think their prices for items should be quite low. Otherwise everyone will sell their items to the vendors instead of to other players. :mellow:

This is something we will be looking to balance during beta! In fact, that's something I'll be laying out the first values for in the coming week or so. :)

#8 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:38

There are also repeatable quests dotted about so you can get some extra rewards should you feel the need to grind the profession to get more skill ups.

Is there something that limits the number of things I can do in a day?
Otherwise people can grind their profession and become some masters in it overnight, just like they can earn XP or gold very fast by playing long hours every day.

For example, FallenSword has the stamina system. Every hour you get a certain amount of stamina (which you can store up to a certain amount) and when you use up all the stamina then you can't do much besides wait for more stamina.
Another example is in the game Planetarion where things take X hours to complete so you will have to wait longer if you want to do more.

So is there some kind of limit, or is it that if I play the game for more time per day that I will be able to do more things per day?

This is something we will be looking to balance during beta! In fact, that's something I'll be laying out the first values for in the coming week or so. :)

Yep, I guess that would be something that beta testers would bring up. ;)

Gathering  Crystal Cutting 49 | Farming 49 | Fishing 49 | Foraging 49 | Forestry 49 | Prospecting 49 | Skinning 49
Crafting  Alchemy 49 | Armorsmithing 49 | Cooking 49 | Jewelry 49 | Leatherworking 49 | Tailoring 49 | Weaponsmithing 49

Prophet    
Savanc       Savavita              Savavimala               Mage          Savanhildur    Savashengli    Savahathor
Warrior  
Savy           Savanikomachos   Savafionnchadh       Assassin   Savalina         Savajahangir
Ranger      Savakainda  Savatakoda         Savaraxka               Templar   Savastanislav  Savasegolene

#9 Kukica

Kukica

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:36

I would love to play the game without any limitation on how many things i can do per day.If i have have 10 hours to play per day then i want to be able to fully enjoy the game and not 2 hours because some casual person cant play for more then 15 minutes.

#10 Anakiro

Anakiro

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 October 2012 - 13:02

In the build we have at the moment, there is no limit on how many times a day a repeatable can be completed. This might be fine given you have to sink profession-related items to complete it. There's nothing worse than having to wait out a timer to give a quest-giver more items if you have them all ready to go.

That being said, there's also the point that people would be able to rush a skill up with repeatables rather than actually using the skill to craft things others in the community would benefit from. I imagine it's another one of those things that we'll be watching for during beta and see how it does. :)

#11 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 October 2012 - 13:35

Repeatables could be present and at the same time slightly discouraged to do things over and over by giving less gold/XP/skill points when doing things multiple times in a certain amount of time.

For example, you will get 100% of the skill points the first three times you do something profession-related in 6 hours. After that you will get 90% of the last amount of skill points you have gotten; so 90% for the fourth time, 81% for the fifth time, 72.9% for the sixth time, 65.61% for the seventh time. And each action will have a timer of 6 hours, so you can get back to the 100% if you take a break. ;)

It would encourage players to do different things in a day, but makes it a decent option to rush certain things if they want.

But it's all up to the developers team how they want things to work. B)

There's nothing worse than having to wait out a timer to give a quest-giver more items if you have them all ready to go.

I guess I'm already trying to do some pre-beta testing things. Can't wait for that timer to run out! :P

Prophet    
Warrior  

#12 Zshmaendal

Zshmaendal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Badge

Posted 23 October 2012 - 23:53

I would love to play the game without any limitation on how many things i can do per day.If i have have 10 hours to play per day then i want to be able to fully enjoy the game and not 2 hours because some casual person cant play for more then 15 minutes.

I think I agree with this. If something similar to energy / stamina is put in to slow the game down, I hope it only does so slightly.

Zshmaendal - Level 45 Prophet | Superfluous - Level 35 Warrior | Ulysses - Level 13 Ranger

Louis - Level 8 Warrior | Ephemeral - Level 12 Assassin | Connotation - Level 8 Mage

Crystal Cutting - 9 | Fishing - 10 | Forestry - 10 | Skinning - 8 | Farming - 19 | Foraging - 28 | Prospecting - 16

Alchemy - 36 | Cooking - 11 | Leatherworking - 4 | Weaponsmithing - 5 | Armorsmithing - 7 | Jewelry - 6 | Tailoring - 16

#13 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:04

I think I agree with this. If something similar to energy / stamina is put in to slow the game down, I hope it only does so slightly.

They could do something like giving you a list of 15 random quests you can do a aech 24 hours, and then it's just a "farm fest" for the rest of the time..

Homever i dont hope that is true.,.

Posted Image

#14 livingtarget

livingtarget

Senior Programmer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Badge

Posted 25 October 2012 - 18:13

I'm happy to let you know there is no energy/stamina mechanic in Eldevin. You can play as much as you want.

#15 Zorg

Zorg

Chief Technical Officer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Badge

Posted 26 October 2012 - 15:28

I'm happy to let you know there is no energy/stamina mechanic in Eldevin. You can play as much as you want.

But no more than is recommended by your doctor. Health and safety first! :D

~ Chief Technical Officer
Wayne 'Zorg' Robinson

#16 Savanc

Savanc

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Badge

Posted 26 October 2012 - 15:46

I think we can still play more than is recommended by our doctors, Zorg... But we shouldn't! :D

Personally I like a stamina/energy limited game because it 'forces' me to stop playing a game at healthy times.
And there is less reason to be jealous about those who level up fast; after all everyone has the same stamina/energy so equal chances. Otherwise there is no way to compete with people who are playing for many hours per day. :mellow:

But no stamina/energy system can still be cool. Especially if the game isn't based on comparing players with each other. ;)

Prophet    
Warrior  

#17 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Badge

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:56

THAT.... is great news :)
i dont like games where its going uber slow because you either are not allowed to do more quests a day, or dont have enough stamina or such thing..

And a quick question off topic, but still eldevin related, what about level cap are there going to be one ?
Because if its unlimited leveling it will be impossible for someone to catch up to the highest level after a year or so..
While I understand its good to be rewarded for putting efort into the game rather than being lazy, this should be taken into consideration aswell..

Posted Image

#18 l3fty

l3fty

Senior Artist

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Badge

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:22

For the '1.0' release of Eldevin the level cap will be 50, though during the beta it will be capped at 30 for a time (to give us a chance to finish off the high level content). We are likely to add extra character levels with expansion content but as far as we are concerned at the moment that is distant future stuff ;)
L3fty
Senior 3D Artist

#19 D4VYJONES

D4VYJONES

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Badge

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:41

Repeatables could be present and at the same time slightly discouraged to do things over and over by giving less gold/XP/skill points when doing things multiple times in a certain amount of time.

For example, you will get 100% of the skill points the first three times you do something profession-related in 6 hours. After that you will get 90% of the last amount of skill points you have gotten; so 90% for the fourth time, 81% for the fifth time, 72.9% for the sixth time, 65.61% for the seventh time. And each action will have a timer of 6 hours, so you can get back to the 100% if you take a break. ;)

It would encourage players to do different things in a day, but makes it a decent option to rush certain things if they want.

But it's all up to the developers team how they want things to work. B)

I guess I'm already trying to do some pre-beta testing things. Can't wait for that timer to run out! :P

Or you can make a cap how many repeatable quest will give +1 in one day. :)

#20 Zshmaendal

Zshmaendal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Badge

Posted 27 October 2012 - 20:43

For the '1.0' release of Eldevin the level cap will be 50, though during the beta it will be capped at 30 for a time (to give us a chance to finish off the high level content). We are likely to add extra character levels with expansion content but as far as we are concerned at the moment that is distant future stuff ;)

Good! I like it when games have a level cap for awhile, and then raise it every so often. That way, those who hit a level when it was capped get an achievement or some such, and it gives other players (slower or newer ones) a chance to catch up.

Font:
Arial | Calibri | Lucida Console | Verdana

Font Size:
9px | 10px | 11px | 12px | 10pt | 12pt

Color: